Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

You made quite a few botches early on there but it looks like you recovered well enough to play it through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dabir posted:

Wow, I don't remember this one at all.

You're... not the only one!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Radio Free Kobold posted:

You made quite a few botches early on there but it looks like you recovered well enough to play it through.

Oh man I had a lot of botches in the recordings that didn't make it to video. This one's a tough mission because you NEED those Grizzlies.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I remember this mission. But I don't really recall much from it. I was never great at missions like these, despite my preference in multiplayer being stealthy attacks.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
...is that a Panzer III in the opening cinematic?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HannibalBarca posted:

...is that a Panzer III in the opening cinematic?

Yes.

Edit: I call it out in the next video but I'm slightly at a loss for words as I keep not expecting Nazi WW2 footage to appear, with actual surrendering Russians on the Eastern front circa 1941/42

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 20, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I completely forgot the SEALS showed up this early.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

Yeah this mission is sadly pretty forgettable and honestly doesn't really add much to the overall campaign in my opinion. Least the Navy SEALs are fun units, although looking at their stats, they are in fact pretty much just straight up trainable TANYA's for all intents and purposes. Anyway, honestly this mission exists, has a really overpowered Prism Tower building to have fun with if you can cap and power it, and that is pretty much it. Definitely one that you may have to retry once or twice though, although least it is pretty short so you won't have to replay too much.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dabir posted:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You're... not the only one!

UED Special Ops posted:

Yeah this mission is sadly pretty forgettable and honestly doesn't really add much to the overall campaign in my opinion.
I can remember every single mission and in what order, except this one always catches me by surprise when it suddenly pops up. Something suspicious is going on here. :stare:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Those were some overpowered prism towers, why aren't Soviets building the poo poo out of them?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Xarn posted:

Those were some overpowered prism towers, why aren't Soviets building the poo poo out of them?

Still in development and the power requirements are absurd!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Serious environmental concerns because the structures cannot be recycled.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
SEALS are great. I spent way too much time in missions by eventually winning them by plotting and executing series of commando raids.
As opposed to, y'know, just rolling over the enemy with tanks.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

anilEhilated posted:

SEALS are great. I spent way too much time in missions by eventually winning them by plotting and executing series of commando raids.
As opposed to, y'know, just rolling over the enemy with tanks.

yeah i loved doing that too. strategic use of spies and seals to open a hole and clear the base, plus two tank destroyers and a repair IFV. it was always a fun little challenge gimmick in skirmishes.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Poil posted:

I can remember every single mission and in what order, except this one always catches me by surprise when it suddenly pops up. Something suspicious is going on here. :stare:

I remember this mission, but always forget exactly where in the second half of the Allied campaign it came up.

It does feel like a rushed filler mission, its setpieces aren't too memorable, and honestly for a post-RA1 baseless mission it just doesn't seem to have a good "flow".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

It does feel like a rushed filler mission, its setpieces aren't too memorable, and honestly for a post-RA1 baseless mission it just doesn't seem to have a good "flow".

It's also yet another commando mission, and it feels like RA2 has had quite a few of them already.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't know, converting Aztec Mayan pyramids into experimental weapons sounds pretty memorable to me.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 23, 2020

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Radio Free Kobold posted:

yeah i loved doing that too. strategic use of spies and seals to open a hole and clear the base, plus two tank destroyers and a repair IFV. it was always a fun little challenge gimmick in skirmishes.

Allied infantry in particular is very powerful for gimmick infantry attacks in a skirmish, it's a lot of fun to just use an A team of 5 different infantry types to wipe out or cripple a base. I usually just use a Blackhawk for infiltration and evac and maybe a single ground vehicle to remove walls to take out an enemy base, with the goal of getting out with the enemy MCV and no casualties.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I remember this mission, but always forget exactly where in the second half of the Allied campaign it came up.

Yeah, this is my main issue with it, it is very much just a there mission that doesn't really stick with you to much, even with the really broken super Prism Towers. I think the largest issue with the mission is that there really is only one way to play it, free the freedom fighters and their tanks, optionally capture the Airport, loop around the Soviet base to the barrels in the back, finish things off from there. Without those tanks you have no way of dealing with the Flak Trucks that will just pour out of the base, so you are pretty much forced to get them. Now say take Dark Night (the destroy the Nuclear Mission Silos mission), there is a ton of ways to go through that mission, giving it great replay value.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I didn't know there was an airport there, and I never thought of swimming down to the other side of the map. You can get a long way by just sneaking through the north-eastern walls, garrisoning the big pyramid and luring things within range.

Watching these videos, I've missed so many things you can reveal by just exploring a bit; I always go for the most frontal thing possible, trying to cut down my par time each playthrough. You do need the Grizzlies, but I always end up capturing the enemy war factory and win that way. You start with a ton of credits you wouldn't use, anyway.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

UED Special Ops posted:

Yeah, this is my main issue with it, it is very much just a there mission that doesn't really stick with you to much, even with the really broken super Prism Towers. I think the largest issue with the mission is that there really is only one way to play it, free the freedom fighters and their tanks, optionally capture the Airport, loop around the Soviet base to the barrels in the back, finish things off from there. Without those tanks you have no way of dealing with the Flak Trucks that will just pour out of the base, so you are pretty much forced to get them. Now say take Dark Night (the destroy the Nuclear Mission Silos mission), there is a ton of ways to go through that mission, giving it great replay value.
Fairly sure you can do it without tanks - use barrels to blow up the vehicles directly in your way, then just capture a prism tower and and lure them in range.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

When I played this mission I really screwed up and ended up with just my chinook for the final part. Turns out I'd also managed to clear out all the anti-air as well, so I did win eventually, but it took forever

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Xarn posted:

Turns out the Mayan ruins are an essential design element. Haven't quite figured out why.

I don't think I've ever done this mission correctly the first try. Something always goes wrong whether its with the attack on the "locals" or too many engineers dying or whatever.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Aztec

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Are you correcting Mayan to Aztec? Cause Eva says Mayan, it looks Mayan (More stepped, less steep), and it is set in the Yucatan, where the Mayans were.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Unreal_One posted:

Are you correcting Mayan to Aztec? Cause Eva says Mayan, it looks Mayan (More stepped, less steep), and it is set in the Yucatan, where the Mayans were.

Tulum, where this mission is set, is also a real place. I've been there. It's a Mayan ruin, and the architecture shown in the mission is reasonably accurate.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

you're supposed to get more Navy SEALS and an engineer if you capture a tower but it never triggered for me.

I think this changes based on difficulty, IIRC you get reinforcements on anything below Hard.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nostalgamus posted:

I think this changes based on difficulty, IIRC you get reinforcements on anything below Hard.

I figured that might be the case, I'll get to see if the trigger work displays properly once I do a map video.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Unreal_One posted:

I was. My bad. I probably shouldn't post when tired.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 23, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Allied 10: Operation: Mirage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Puuzms2S3I
Operation: Mirage

With North America safe from Russian incursion and the Prism tech removed from their inventory, its time that the Allies turn their full attention towards Europe, and Russia. It is paramount that we contact Einstein, as he has new developments to show us. Once we have linked up with his laboratory, we can begin planning for the final thrust towards the Red bear.

Black Forest, Germany. This seems quite far behind the frontline, however...

Objective: Defend Einstein's Lab and repel the Soviet attacks

Briefing: Desperate for some success, Soviet forces have counterattacked our European allies in Germany, moving deep into the Black Forest. No doubt their commanders hope that they will find and capture Einstein's laboratory. Your special talents have been asked for. The Germans fear they will be defeated without your strategic skills.

Author's note: An interesting mission that can be rather punishing if you don't have the right start. Easily cheesed.

Name: Ben Carville
Aliases: General Thorn
Affiliation: Allies
Voiced/Played by: Barry Corbin

Top military official for the United States of America's armed forces. Reports directly to the president. Enjoys antagonizing Tanya. Was temporarily subverted by the Soviet Union due to mind control weapons. Impressed by the Commander's ability to befriend Tanya. Killed before he could transfer to Europe when a suicide bomber infiltrated his HQ.

Mirage Tank
RANGE: Medium
ARMOR: Light
WEAPON: Mirage Tank Cannon
COST: 1000

In most ways, the Mirage Tank is similar to the Grizzly Battle Tank of the Allies. However, when not moving, this unit changes in appearance to look like a tree. It can fire on enemy units from this camouflaged state, making it difficult for the enemy to discover where the fire is coming from. They do, however, appear for a brief moment when firing. Used carefully (for instance, stopping Mirage Tanks in or near a forested area), these units can provide a devastating surprise attack.

Author's Note: I, like, never use Mirage Tanks. Lighter armor, but can be concealed. Maybe I'll find a reason to mass these instead of Grizzlies one day... oh wait, Prism Tanks exist!

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "Impressed by your efficiency, German Commanders have asked you to train their officers in strategy and command."

Slower than Par Time: "The Black Forest lab has been saved, Einstein's work can continue."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Now we get the coolest tank in the game.

e: This mission is actually really fun when not cheesed, because by this point you really get all the parts of the Allied arsenal that click together and it feels great to see them in action against overwhelming odds. Spies in particular are really good here for shutting down enemy power plants in order to sneak in commando teams or perform Mirage tank strikes.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 27, 2020

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I never really use Mirage tanks either, but in theory they are quite good. They are sort of the defensive counterpart to Prism tanks - much weaker vs buildings, but more cost effective vs infantry and tanks. Their cloak means you can pretty much leave them on their own and not worry about them getting blown up by harriers or whatever.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

A world without Carville isnt a world worth saving.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I... don't suppose they'll pull a GI Joe: The Movie at the end? :(

At least this means I won't be missing anyone once we switch over to the Soviet campaign. Well, Tanya's alright.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FoolyCharged posted:

A world without Carville isnt a world worth saving.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

In the campaign at least, I always use Mirage Tanks to defend my Prism Tanks. Unlike other players, the AI will never force attack deployed Mirage Tanks so they can sit there tearing apart anything that gets close while the Prism Tanks destroy the enemy base. There's also a mission in the expansion where I found two groups of four Mirage Tanks will basically win the mission for you (with a bit of anti-air support).

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Huh, that was...quick. Didn't realize you could do that.

Although IIRC there's not that big of a difference if the AI actually builds their bases. Sure, they send basically everything they've got at your central base right off the bat, but after that there's only some weak potshots at Einstein's base.

I think the warning about new Soviet units plays when you build the Spy Satellite (along with some of them spawning).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ThingOne posted:

In the campaign at least, I always use Mirage Tanks to defend my Prism Tanks. Unlike other players, the AI will never force attack deployed Mirage Tanks so they can sit there tearing apart anything that gets close while the Prism Tanks destroy the enemy base. There's also a mission in the expansion where I found two groups of four Mirage Tanks will basically win the mission for you (with a bit of anti-air support).

Yeah the AI doesn't really know what to do about Mirage Tanks, they're great against it.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

obligatory "Oh yeah, this mission!"
It always used to give me such a hard time back in the day what with the initial onslaught. When I replayed the game again recently I managed to keep the first base which I considered a bit of an accomplishment considering it, as you said, kinda sucks and gets hammered hard almost right away. I never even thought about cheezing it with engineer IFVs, that's a good play. I always just built some expansion bases off the tech outpost and capturable refinery you mentioned and slugged it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

i can't believe general carville is loving dead