Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

9th.............................Good???????????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Stay tuned for even more rules info later next week:
https://twitter.com/WarComTeam/status/1264191895011569666

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I would. The idea of boobplates for IG is loving dumb. You'll see heads without helmets that are clearly women, is my guess.

Female torso doesn't automatically mean boobplate, though at Heroic Scale the difference of a few IRL inches in height and build would be practically microscopic lol. Female heads I'd bet on, and maybe some more feminine (which at this scale just means slightly skinnier, maybe less exaggerated shoulders???, not talking about jacket open tits out or anything lol)-leaning non-armored torsos like the commander and staff jackets seem reasonable to vary your leadership up.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
One of the things that sort of bothers me about Necrons (fluff-wise) is that there's no point of intersection with human culture. Like: Chaos and Genestealers are corrupting influences who would eat us from within, the Dark Eldar want to enslave everyone, the Tau offer the false hope of existing in a different ontology than the one they're actually in, and even the Orks are basically fungoid chimpanzees doing a complex monkey-see-monkey-do routine but the Necrons just straight DGAF (and not even the all-consuming DGAF of the Tyranids).

Dunno.

E: In Lovecraftian terms the Tyranid's DGAF is the DGAF of the Old Ones (Cthulhu) while Necron's DGAF is that of the Outer Ones (Azathoth), if that makes sense?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 23, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Female torso doesn't automatically mean boobplate, though at Heroic Scale the difference of a few IRL inches in height and build would be practically microscopic lol. Female heads I'd bet on, and maybe some more feminine (which at this scale just means slightly skinnier, maybe less exaggerated shoulders???, not talking about jacket open tits out or anything lol)-leaning non-armored torsos like the commander and staff jackets seem reasonable to vary your leadership up.

The kit might also include slender, more unisex arms because the current IG arms are a bit too big and chunky to work even without assuming clothes making them bulky.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Schadenboner posted:

One of the things that sort of bothers me about Necrons (fluff-wise) is that there's no point of intersection with human culture.

It sounds like that interaction is the focus of 9th. The silent king has returned and his house is full of raccoons.

But his house is the universe and we're the raccoons.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

The kit might also include slender, more unisex arms because the current IG arms are a bit too big and chunky to work even without assuming clothes making them bulky.

this is one of the big things that makes all IG look like dudes even though theoretically they should look ambiguous due to layers, the IG are rocking some GUNS, they have the wingspan of NBA players and they all have these big ol' truckasaurus hands

I'd like some arms that don't have shoulder pads.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:negative:
9th Edition?! For fucks sake Games Workshop why not just stab me in my drat heart. I just bought this huge Dark Imperium box set because it came with all the rule books. Welp I guess its time to throw it in the trash?

I suppose I am now a Warhammer grognard. It will always be 8th edition in my house. Its not a total waste I suppose. I got this box set because it basically a self contained boardgame, and it still functions perfectly well that way. But it chaps my hide that I can't expand it any more without buying into a pile of new rule books.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

moths posted:

It sounds like that interaction is the focus of 9th. The silent king has returned and his house is full of raccoons.

But his house is the universe and we're the raccoons.

I'm certainly interested to see where they go with this (for the first time in a long time I'm legit excited by a marketing campaign: I'm literally The Problem) but this is still more of intersection between civilizations not cultures. I dunno, maybe I played too much Dark Heresy and read too many Inquisitor books? I like for there to be more than Only War in the Grim Darkness Of The Far Future (for example: corruption, decadence, and heresy)?

:shrug:

E: This isn't really meant as a criticism of the game per se. I just haven't been able to get into the Necrons as a faction before because I can't find a psychological hand-hold for them?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 23, 2020

Kyari
Jun 16, 2007
Really hoping that, like everything else in the 9th edition trailer being a tease, we get assault Sororitas that aren't just Repentia.
There were a lot of chainsword ladies in that end section and those are barely a thing on the tabletop right now.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
New thread when

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
My biggest grievance is that, while i'm happy i won't have completely wasted money on the Codex for my army, i still have like 3 books i have to reference just to play my army fully. I would love it if they released consolidated rules packages at the start of 9th.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I see that Cawl found a few crates of volkite weapons at the bottom of his closet.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Stephenls posted:

I see that Cawl found a few crates of volkite weapons at the bottom of his closet.

I’m extremely confused by that tabard. It looks like he has it emerging from under he breastplate which seems strange if the power armor is essentially second skin?

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
1) is that new marine on the website holding a volkite pistol like I think he is? Edit: EFB it seems lol

2) It looks like they're probably plasticifying the necron range. If they do it for all of Eldar i'm boned.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I guess the interesting part will be if the digital version will include the older codex and PA books as well.

Kithkar posted:

1) is that new marine on the website holding a volkite pistol like I think he is?

Heavy Bolt Pistol was mentioned on the stream and the design checks out with other pistol wielding primaris.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

I guess the interesting part will be if the digital version will include the older codex and PA books as well.

Heavy Bolt Pistol was mentioned on the stream and the design checks out with other pistol wielding primaris.

The chainsword guys seem like heavy bolt pistols, but the pistol + shield guy from the post just above is definitely volkite.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Schadenboner posted:

I’m extremely confused by that tabard. It looks like he has it emerging from under he breastplate which seems strange if the power armor is essentially second skin?

Mark X power armor is supposed to be modular, so there's an undersuit of what looks like black tubing (that stuff you can see between the plates), and then you get Phobos (Infiltrators, Reivers), Tacticus (Intercessors, Hellblasters), Gravis (Aggressors, Inceptors), or Omnis (mix-and-match, currently just Suppressors) variants depending on what armor plates you attach to it. Looks like this guy just stuck a tabard in between his undersuit and his Tacticus breastplate.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Schadenboner posted:

One of the things that sort of bothers me about Necrons (fluff-wise) is that there's no point of intersection with human culture. Like: Chaos and Genestealers are corrupting influences who would eat us from within, the Dark Eldar want to enslave everyone, the Tau offer the false hope of existing in a different ontology than the one they're actually in, and even the Orks are basically fungoid chimpanzees doing a complex monkey-see-monkey-do routine but the Necrons just straight DGAF (and not even the all-consuming DGAF of the Tyranids).

Dunno.

E: In Lovecraftian terms the Tyranid's DGAF is the DGAF of the Old Ones (Cthulhu) while Necron's DGAF is that of the Outer Ones (Azathoth), if that makes sense?

no no, C'tan are Old One style (deliberately pay attention to and act on mortal scales), with the Necrons themselves being somewhat like the Great Race of Yith or Mi-go. Tyranids are closer to the Outer Ones, being nebulously 'aware' of anything on the small scale, if at all.

Anyway - they fit better into the framework you're talking about back when their thing was reaping souls to feed their C'tan masters (and making humans into Pariahs), whoever it was at GW who freaked out and decided the C'tan needed to be shattered so there could be named character Necrons as the face of the faction instead sunk all of that though. The current version definitely lacks a driving force by comparison (sentiments of "get off my lawn" notwithstanding); with them bringing the silent king into the fore I figure they're going to have making sure the C'tan stay in bits/dead and dreaming, and pushing Chaos out of the material world as their 'thing'?

Gotta get rid of all those inconvenient new warp rifts somehow.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Looks like I'll be buying four boxes of chainsawmaris

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Booley posted:

The chainsword guys seem like heavy bolt pistols, but the pistol + shield guy from the post just above is definitely volkite.

Ah, thought they were talking about the assault intercessor and I had completely missed the shot with the stormshield. My bad. :shobon:

JBP posted:

Looks like I'll be buying four boxes of chainsawmaris

I could need two or three arms to replace the powersword arms on my yet to built DI lieutenants. So I need them by like next week or something.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't move to an Apoc or kill team style turn order.

Really very surprised they haven't seemed to have stolen the damage system of Apoc.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Tanks being able to shoot into combat is all I needed with a new edition. Though the terrain changes are much needed.

That all said, I really enjoy the cartoon style artwork GW has been producing lately. The art is really cool for me and adds a lot of fun to the game's style space.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Rutibex posted:

:negative:
9th Edition?! For fucks sake Games Workshop why not just stab me in my drat heart. I just bought this huge Dark Imperium box set because it came with all the rule books. Welp I guess its time to throw it in the trash?

I suppose I am now a Warhammer grognard. It will always be 8th edition in my house. Its not a total waste I suppose. I got this box set because it basically a self contained boardgame, and it still functions perfectly well that way. But it chaps my hide that I can't expand it any more without buying into a pile of new rule books.

Source your quotes

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Liking the look of all these new Necrons a lot. Just that little bit of surface texture to keep things interesting without going nuts with panel lines or whatever on every surface.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

BoneMonkey posted:

Really very surprised they haven't seemed to have stolen the damage system of Apoc.

Oh you've read the rulebook already?

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
All I wanted was close combat primaris and better rules. I guess I'm really easy to please, thanks GW!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BoneMonkey posted:

I almost feel like we're at a place with GW rules where it's like how Physics is good at explaining how small poo poo works (Warcry, somewhat Necromunda, maaaybe Kill Team) and good at explaining how big poo poo works (Apocalypse) but not so great at the between bits?

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Corrode posted:

My uncle works at Nintendo and gave me an advanced copy.

I feel like they would of mentioned changes as big as those. But maybe they'll surprise me yet.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Corrode posted:

One would expect a major change like that to have shown up in the Nine Great Things video. If you're making that kind of sweeping change, you want to sell it as a good idea as soon as you can, so you lead with that. The fact that they didn't, and that the changes listed in the video are tweaks more than overhauls suggests that 9th is exactly what most of us predicted: 8th with some extra polish and all the rules in one place.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am personally looking forward to being continually sad about no new plastic Eldar for another whole edition. Please give me a troops unit where both legs are the same part! Necrons look super good, so I am sure there will be lots of great stuff for lots of people though.

Howling Banshees are my least favorite, but I still am glad they got put there. :unsmith:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

God, I hope I'm not reading way too much into this cartoony Scout who showed up in the 9 Things To Know video. Make me throw my kitbashed Phobos scouts into the garbage GW do it do it!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Stephenls posted:

God, I hope I'm not reading way too much into this cartoony Scout who showed up in the 9 Things To Know video. Make me throw my kitbashed Phobos scouts into the garbage GW do it do it!

He's got either a hellgun or the babby lascannon those Phobos guys have, though?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Schadenboner posted:

He's got either a hellgun or the babby lascannon those Phobos guys have, though?

Looks like just a normal scout sniper rifle to me.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So what the heck do people expect assault intercessors to do that reivers don't already? Or are they going to be yet another unit that obsoletes those poor guys?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Stephenls posted:

Looks like just a normal scout sniper rifle to me.

The cabling really reminds me of the Scions, dunno?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Schadenboner posted:

The cabling really reminds me of the Scions, dunno?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Safety Factor posted:

So what the heck do people expect assault intercessors to do that reivers don't already? Or are they going to be yet another unit that obsoletes those poor guys?

No it's fine. The job of the new unit is to run down the centre of the battlefield and get shot. This is in sharp contrast to Reivers, who have to sneak along the edge of the battlefield then get shot.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Oh yeah. Good point. I haven't looked at sniper scouts closely in really long time (a friend of mine used a lot in he Dark Angels army back in the late 90s/early 2000s, he was a cheating bastard and even unto this day I assume all DA players are likewise of a low moral character).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Safety Factor posted:

New bits so Intercessor Sergeants can finally be modeled with REAL Intercessor arms with chainswords