Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I mean, you see pictures like that of a packed bar and it's kind of freeing. There is nothing we can do, no individual or collective action, that will make Americans less stupid. The virus is going to fully run its course here and a million people are going to die, and while you can lament what could have been, there are no more levers to pull; the trolley problem has been solved.

Yeah this is how I felt when I saw the first beach pictures

Which is why anyone claiming the Dems would have done a significantly better job is full of it, the same people would have been just as stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Everyone is outside for Memorial Day weekend in Maryland four days after highest cases reported. Seems like a good plan.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/neeratanden/status/1264222879509553152

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Rauros posted:

i was talking about memory b cells earlier, but our salvation may lie in those mysterious memory t cells.

Lack of Peripheral Memory B Cell Responses in Recovered Patients with Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome: A Six-Year Follow-Up Study
https://www.jimmunol.org/content/186/12/7264

In conclusion, specific IgG Ab to SARS-CoV eventually vanish in most SARS patients. Peripheral memory B cell responses are undetectable in all the patients. However, quite a portion of the patients maintain T cell memory even 6 y postinfection. Whether the T cell anamnestic response is adequate to protect a person from reinfection requires further investigation. The findings are expected to have implications for disease management and surveillance in case of disease reemergence. It would also be important for making a decision on vaccination strategy, as vaccine is supposed to be the most effective way to confer active and sustained protection against a future reemergence of SARS.

whoa i didnt know memory t cells were even a thing. immunology is wild

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Pook Good Mook posted:

But that's what I'm confused about. Major corporations don't want poo poo back to normal willy nilly. This seems to be driven exclusively by restaurant owners and Trump sycophants.

it's all garbage 70-120k income owners of failing pool supply stores in jackson, ms

actual workers dont want to open because theyll die cause no insurance
big corps dont want to open because they dont want their labor pool massacred
its only the buck stricklands that are screaming to open

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Chicago is getting 10 consecutive days of rainstorms starting this afternoon, if they all hit mid day , hooray

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

power word- Jeb! posted:

whoa i didnt know memory t cells were even a thing. immunology is wild

yeah, and in typical immunologist fashion, "eh, we don't really know what they do."

edit: in a comparative immunology course, i learned that immunology is just pure chaos between species and has no logical structuring. it's just a constant arms race, and things that work get conserved.

Rauros has issued a correction as of 17:42 on May 23, 2020

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mastershakeman posted:

Chicago is getting 10 consecutive days of rainstorms starting this afternoon, if they all hit mid day , hooray

jesus christ why are yall getting so loving soaked this season
ugh

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

it's all garbage 70-120k income owners of failing pool supply stores in jackson, ms

actual workers dont want to open because theyll die cause no insurance
big corps dont want to open because they dont want their labor pool massacred
its only the buck stricklands that are screaming to open

They're the core of the like CONSTITUTIONAL SHERIFF THE STATE IS A PATRIARCH AND HIS CHILDREN UNDER GOD right wing vs the big business right or the ein Reich ein Volk ein TRUMP!! right

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

George H.W. oval office posted:

Yea looks like its indoor pool specifically and if you are doing it every day for long periods of time like a competitive swimmer. lol @ goons being in that category. go swim have fun.

I spent over 12 years of my life doing this, good to know I’ve possibly primed my lungs for viral doom.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Goreld posted:

I spent over 12 years of my life doing this, good to know I’ve possibly primed my lungs for viral doom.

Same. I'm hosed.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Guy who posted about testing positive but symptoms receding hasn't posted in a while

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

"nature walks"

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

she is absolutely lying about her behavior

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

otoh neera getting the roni is good

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/1264212912203325441

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
theyre gonna say "trump hasnt been wearing a mask and we need to protect biden and thats why we're not even having no-audience debates" bing bong so simple

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

slave to my cravings posted:

Everyone is outside for Memorial Day weekend in Maryland four days after highest cases reported. Seems like a good plan.

This Weekend is going to be given a name.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Victory Position posted:

this has the potential to create a schism of its own

this is way bigger than Vatican II and that's a shitshow that the paleo-Catholics are still complaining about :stonklol:

some catholics really really hate the current pope

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MikeBloomberg/status/1264237466044768262?s=20

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Studio posted:

How short and how close :ohdear:

Air Bag Injury Risk Linked to Height

quote:

He found that air bags were "modestly protective" for front-seat passengers of medium height, which he defined as being between 5 foot 3 inches tall to 5 foot 11 inches tall.

However, Newgard writes that "air bags appear to increase the risk of injury for large- and small-stature adults."

Newgard calculates that for drivers taller than 6 foot 3 inches, air bags were associated with a 5% greater risk of serious injury. He also estimates that for drivers shorter than 4 foot 11 inches, air bags were associated with a 4% increase in the risk of serious injury.

basically your face should be 10 or more inches away from the wheel. If you're short enough to have your face closer than that and the air bag goes off you're in deep poo poo

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

Nonsense posted:

"nature walks"

That used to mean going to get high

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nonsense posted:

"nature walks"

I've been doing great nature walks past maybe ten people an hour. But she uses weasel words about how much she saw friends

"Really socialized"

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

its already called memorial day weekend

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

mastershakeman posted:

I've been doing great nature walks past maybe ten people an hour. But she uses weasel words about how much she saw friends

"Really socialized"

Inshallah she took it with her into CAP

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
2 weeks open, spike
1 week closed, chuds shoot up a government building in protest
2 weeks open

and we're at the fourth of july

gonna be lit folks

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
i do some light socializing. 5 or 6 parties only. no 50 person ones, either, only ~30 people per party. we don't even have an orgy afterwards! light socializing!

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

ChristsDickWorship posted:

its already called memorial day weekend

Gah. goddamn it! I mean like name like as a singular day in history like D-day or 9/11....and you're just taking the piss outta me aren't you.

My abstract and over dramatic use of words led me to this folly.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Gah. goddamn it! I mean like name like as a singular day in history like D-day or 9/11....and you're just taking the piss outta me aren't you.

Covid Memorial Day Weekend

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

This is going to be an endemic disease you get twice a year, you will be sick with covid or caring for someone who is for most of your days and the existence of the disease will be shameful and never mentioned

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

the covid memorial day weekend memorial

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Victory Position posted:

this has the potential to create a schism of its own

this is way bigger than Vatican II and that's a shitshow that the paleo-Catholics are still complaining about :stonklol:

Lay people still can't use holy magic to turn crackers and wine into flesh and blood, so priests are still needed.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

remember sailor

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Remember butler

https://twitter.com/6abc/status/1264241233439973377

Edit: he had the virus

Pepperoneedy has issued a correction as of 18:11 on May 23, 2020

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

PROUD TO SERVE THE BECK AND CALL OF THE OBAMAS seems to be in every article about that man. I'm sure he liked other presidents more.

I hope he passed away of natural causes happy and warm in his bed.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gio posted:

"Haven't really been socializing with friends" is definitely just another way of writing "I realized it might be risky behavior but decided to go party anyway".

Aside from that, isn't she also part of the social class who counts golf and lunch as time spent working? Follow that logic, and parties become necessary maintenance of your network.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Gio posted:

Gio posted:

Gio posted:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Who tf is Neera Tanden

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

shovelbum posted:

This is going to be an endemic disease you get twice a year, you will be sick with covid or caring for someone who is for most of your days and the existence of the disease will be shameful and never mentioned

Both MERS and the Black Death disappeared on their own. Going nihilist in either an unreasonably optimistic or unreasonably pessimistic direction is what leads to people giving up and getting infected, making it a self fulfilling prophecy. The truth is, no one knows what is going to happen, so it's important to take a long view on things and act from there, hopefully in a constructive manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Throatwarbler posted:

Who tf is Neera Tanden

Hypocritical head of the brain-poisoned and -poisoning Center for American Progress, Democratic insider who was plugged into the Obama/Clinton wing of the party

The worst type of person