Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Jonny 290 posted:

it's all garbage 70-120k income owners of failing pool supply stores in jackson, ms

actual workers dont want to open because theyll die cause no insurance
big corps dont want to open because they dont want their labor pool massacred
its only the buck stricklands that are screaming to open

I’m going to quote this post at everyone I know, tyvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Throatwarbler posted:

Who tf is Neera Tanden

goon skeletor

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

sullat posted:

Lay people still can't use holy magic to turn crackers and wine into flesh and blood, so priests are still needed.

Also this is so stupid, there is literally precedent for this from the great mortality; back then if you couldn't give your final confession to a priest the pope decreed that you could give it to whoever was around. It's a special dispensation. Yeesh.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Pepperoneedy posted:

Hypocritical head of the brain-poisoned and -poisoning Center for American Progress, Democratic insider who was plugged into the Obama/Clinton wing of the party

The worst type of person
you forgot "journalist union buster"

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
We took the kids to the ocean to go fishing/swim yesterday and the park we usually go to was slammed, probably busier than I've ever seen it. Signs posted said the limit was 75 people but it was easily 200.

Luckily we drove 5 miles down the coast and it was pretty empty and we were still able to take them swimming

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

thanks, i hate it

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Strep Vote posted:

Both MERS and the Black Death disappeared on their own. Going nihilist in either an unreasonably optimistic or unreasonably pessimistic direction is what leads to people giving up and getting infected, making it a self fulfilling prophecy. The truth is, no one knows what is going to happen, so it's important to take a long view on things and act from there, hopefully in a constructive manner.

The black death predates reliable records and MERS was both aggressively contained and too rapidly deadly to ever be a big thing.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

shovelbum posted:

This is going to be an endemic disease you get twice a year, you will be sick with covid or caring for someone who is for most of your days and the existence of the disease will be shameful and never mentioned

Ooooh does this mean we're gonna get a slang term for Covid? Like TB had "The Consumption" or Syphilis had "The Pox"?

Can we call them the Trumps?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

This Weekend is going to be given a name.

finally i'll be able to remember which loving one of the 5 holidays americans get is memorial day.

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

Strep Vote posted:

Both MERS and the Black Death disappeared on their own. Going nihilist in either an unreasonably optimistic or unreasonably pessimistic direction is what leads to people giving up and getting infected, making it a self fulfilling prophecy. The truth is, no one knows what is going to happen, so it's important to take a long view on things and act from there, hopefully in a constructive manner.

MERS didn't "disappear on its own". Outbreaks reoccured in 2015 and 2018 and will reoccur again. You can pretty much only get MERS from direct contact with camels so it is not a threat on the level of Covid-19.

The black death was the most fatal pandemic in human history and killed 75-200 million. It did not "disappear on its own." Outbreaks of plague continued to reoccur in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries. Bubonic plague killed 170 people during an October 2017 outbreak in Madagascar. Outbreaks will reoccur again.

I'm curious: do you post misinformation because you're uninformed, or do you know its bullshit and post it anyway because you're trying to influence the conversation to go your way? This is simple wikipedia stuff.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Spam posted:

Ooooh does this mean we're gonna get a slang term for Covid? Like TB had "The Consumption" or Syphilis had "The Pox"?

The US is too ashamed of illness to ever have slang like that again, it's going to be literally unspeakable and you'll spend 2 months a year trying to work with severe pneumonia that no one will acknowledge is going on

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

This Weekend is going to be given a name.

he was unmasked in like 2010, its this dude named "abel tesfaye"

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

COVID-420 posted:

he was unmasked in like 2010, its this dude named "abel tesfaye"

Is tesfaye like the equivalent of John and Smith rolled into one it seems like everyone is named that

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm buying a bunch of the BigDogs shirts that say "hey covid, open this for business ↓" on the back side.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Phase II baybee!

https://www.columbian.com/news/2020/may/22/employees-at-vancouver-food-processor-positive-for-covid-19/

https://twitter.com/MarkBowder/status/1264016949782044672

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Gio posted:

she is absolutely lying about her behavior

Definitely. Rich people don't think bad things can happen to them and have been carrying on at home as if nothing's going on

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Renaissance Spam posted:

the roni

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

The people with all of the money and power got their way again and regular schmucks are going to suffer for it? Remarkable.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Strep Vote posted:

Also this is so stupid, there is literally precedent for this from the great mortality; back then if you couldn't give your final confession to a priest the pope decreed that you could give it to whoever was around. It's a special dispensation. Yeesh.

very protestant to think bending a rule under extreme circumstances is the same as abolishing it

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

is their like a newsletter or something these people get with weekly talking point this week is “99% survival rate”

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Quinch posted:

is their like a newsletter or something these people get to with weekly talking point this week is “99% survival rate”

Yeah the rnc sends em out

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

snake and bake posted:

It's been posted, but this thread moves fast and I feel that it deserves strong re-emphasis, since y'all keep posting crazy bullshit from Twitter:

Nearly Half Of The Twitter Accounts Discussing ‘Reopening America’ May Be Bots

Is there a simple-ish explanation of how they identify bots? And how they know that they are correct? I assume they tested their software using known real and bot accounts, and examined sensitivity and specificity.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
its not the 1% death rate that's the problem you fuckin maroons (though thats not great!!) its the fact that if you get it you're on your rear end for a month with a mild case. you'll loving wipe out the entire economy -again- if you let everything open up and this time we also take out all the essential services too so i hope you like hoping no power lines blow over.

chuds are the dumbest people on planet earth

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

1% death rate is horrible lmao

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

cant believe i got the coronavirus. i did everything right, i barely even went to any parties

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Schnorkles posted:

its not the 1% death rate that's the problem you fuckin maroons (though thats not great!!) its the fact that if you get it you're on your rear end for a month with a mild case. you'll loving wipe out the entire economy -again- if you let everything open up and this time we also take out all the essential services too so i hope you like hoping no power lines blow over.

Everyone will be on their rear end 15-30% of the rest of their extremely truncated lives

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

euphronius posted:

1% death rate is horrible lmao

We should get chuds to put 1% patches on their biker vests before they go to bars to celebrate the high survivability of the virus.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Fyi testing in america is a loving TERRIBLE measure for any sort of modelling or statistical. People are getting tested 3+ times because they keep coming to the hospital over and over and presenting with symptoms that are from other chronic or unrelated illnesses but you can't just not consider roni.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Schnorkles posted:

so what ur saying is that we should open up because there's a 99.95% life rate?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Admiral Ray posted:

so what ur saying is that we should open up because there's a 99.95% life rate?

honestly yeah just open everything up and let the country burn hail satan

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
medicine is a spook. all i need to defend myself against invading viruses is the 2nd amendment and millions of tiny guns attached to my monocytes and t cells.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

Pook Good Mook posted:

But that's what I'm confused about. Major corporations don't want poo poo back to normal willy nilly. This seems to be driven exclusively by restaurant owners and Trump sycophants.

the corporations only have this viewpoint because they could be open to lawsuits if people forced back to work get sick. once they get that sweet immunity it will be a free for all.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

actionjackson posted:

Is there a simple-ish explanation of how they identify bots? And how they know that they are correct? I assume they tested their software using known real and bot accounts, and examined sensitivity and specificity.

I haven't read this yet, but they have some pdfs on their website

http://www.casos.cs.cmu.edu/publications/papers/LB_5.pdf

https://www.cmu.edu/ideas-social-cybersecurity/research/index.html

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1263937751872868353?s=20

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
1% death rate
60% financially destroyed due to medical bills rate

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

eric ciaramella posted:

1% death rate
60% financially destroyed due to medical bills rate

That's gonna be 100% after 2 years of reinfection and that's 100% why it's being allowed to spread

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Pssh, that swordmaster with a 1% hit rate and a killing edge will never hit me

OPEN ER UP

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

are we getting 100,000k on Memorial Day ??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZQqteC-E6U&t=34s