Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Yeah, making little rolls from a bulk spool is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Shot and developed my first roll of slide film—Provia 100F. I think the results are decent. Didn’t mutilate it like I was afraid I would. The dried film curls like a bastard though.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This is nice!

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I really like Provia, Ektachrome shadows tend to block up easily with this nasty green colour which doesn't seem to happen with Provia. I found it to be a bit cool under normal daylight conditions but that's easy to change when scanning.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Thank you! The scans seem a bit out if focus, and I wonder if it’s because of how curled the film is. A few frames sag so low in the holder that I’m seeing newton rings. Gonna try and flatten them out then rescan.

Of course I’ve never shot ektachrome, but I did a fair bit of research before buying the provia. Based on the image samples I saw it didn’t seem very appealing to me.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm leaning towards Provia, but I've got limited experience with both.

P.S. I can see what you mean with the focus, when I look at it on Flickr, but it's still a nicely composed picture.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

A bit more contrast-y than I usually try for, but I kinda like it.

e: More! :black101:

President Beep fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 15, 2020

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Question: when loading exposed film into a tank and reel in a changing bag, should I wear cotton gloves or is bare handed fine?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

bloops posted:

Question: when loading exposed film into a tank and reel in a changing bag, should I wear cotton gloves or is bare handed fine?

Personal preference really. I make sure my hands are clean and dry and I just handle around the edges as much as possible. Even if my fingers have touched the emulsion when loading I've not seen any adverse effects on the film in development.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Dudeabides posted:

Personal preference really. I make sure my hands are clean and dry and I just handle around the edges as much as possible. Even if my fingers have touched the emulsion when loading I've not seen any adverse effects on the film in development.

Thanks! Developing my first roll today (of cat photos).

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

bloops posted:

Thanks! Developing my first roll today (of cat photos).

Good luck!

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I get fingerprints all over film when loading it into the tank. I don’t even try to be careful. Never had problems, I assume they all get washed off during development.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

bloops posted:

I usually don't bother. If your hands get sweaty it might get pretty difficult, but I think wearing gloves would compromise your dexterity and sense of touch too much (at least it would for me).

On a side note, probably the best tip I've ever read when it comes to loading exposed film onto reels, which I may have seen ITT, is to bevel the corners of the leading end of the roll. I used to have quite a few issues withe film binding as I worked it onto the reel, but ever since I started trimming the corners it's not happened once.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Update: loading the film was easy thanks to practicing on a sacrificial roll. Development was really straight forward with Cinestill's Df96 monobath. Film is drying now.

Edit: it worked.

bloops fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 16, 2020

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
I found an expired pack of D76 and finally got around to developing something with it. Tri-X 400 with a C330. I don't know how I always manage to get weird marks like this when I develop medium format.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

bloops posted:

nominally you should probably wear gloves to help it feed easier and keep any possible grease-prints off the negative to keep them from resisting the developer and screwing things up, but in practice no I've never worn gloves and it's never been a problem

what does make a difference is using the film reels with the "wide" loading flanges though, I think you should straight-up throw away any reels with the little 1/4" nubs

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

For 35mm, my method is to keep the exposed film in the canister and put it in the changing bag with just the leader out. I'll put a pair of scissors in the bag as well. I use my thumb and forefinger to bow the film slightly while feeding it onto the reel, cradling the canister with the rest of my fingers. When I get to the end I'll lay everything down gently then snip the end of the roll with the scissors. I find that keeping the film in the canister makes the whole process easier since I'm minimizing the amount of loose film I'm touching or having to maneuver around.

Never tried this on anything but my stainless steel tanks but I imagine it wouldn't be different with plastic equipment.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
I've never tried cutting the edges of the film but it sounds like it makes a lot of sense so I'll have to try it. I feel like the more I use my reels the harder it gets to get the film on them nicely. I've also never tried keeping the film in the can but I always rewind my film all the way back in and I hate trying to grab the leader to get it back out, though it also sounds like it would make loading onto the reel very easy. I imagine it would also help keep the film from getting bunched up.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
For 35mm I have a daylight loading tank (a mid-50s Soviet Sputnik tank), where you load the film still in the canister into the tank, and then wind it out of the canister and on to the reel once it's inside. That means you're only touching the leader until it's time to pull it off the reel after development. When I use my Paterson tank for 120, I don't wear gloves but I always wash my hands before loading it to clean all the sweat and oils off.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

A friend gave me a roll of Kodak ultramax 400 in 35mm so I shot it, looks like it was expired though because it was grainy af.

Also one from a roll of Kodak cine film (250D) that I did a shocking job of removing the remjet on which ruined most of the shots. This one doesn't have much remjet but it was ruined by being a hand-held 1 second exposure...

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Nice and punchy though. I like it.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
The look of that Ultramax. I think the kids today call it aesthetic. I like it.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I really like the halation on that cave pic.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
Shot and developed Fuji Neopan ACROS II for the first time. I liked the results I got. Here is one of the shots, it's also the first of the photos I've seen with the 50mm f/1.2 I found at an estate sale. It was stuck to an FG body for 20 dollars. I developed it in some slightly expired D76, I was going to send it to the lab since it was all new stuff to me but I broke the film off the canister. It's the third time I've done it on a Nikon F and finally just realized I'm supposed to turn the knob underneath the shutter release. I'm smart.

Acros Nikon F 21 by Grease Gunner, on Flickr

Acros Nikon F 30 by Grease Gunner, on Flickr

Acros Nikon F 20 by Grease Gunner, on Flickr

I also managed to swing a 55mm macro for real cheap

Acros Nikon F 17 by Grease Gunner, on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I like that second shot, the one with the pennants. Subtle contrast.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Didn't see this posted in the OP or asked a few pages back so I'll ask here. Kudos to all of you processing your own film.

I recently found two point and shoot disposable cameras (the Kodak kind) from what I'd guess to be 2001-2003, as well as two rolls of film that were shot. Do local Wal-Marts still have photo labs that process film? Otherwise, which web-based companies are suggested for processing?

Thanks!

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'

Tortilla Maker posted:

Didn't see this posted in the OP or asked a few pages back so I'll ask here. Kudos to all of you processing your own film.

I recently found two point and shoot disposable cameras (the Kodak kind) from what I'd guess to be 2001-2003, as well as two rolls of film that were shot. Do local Wal-Marts still have photo labs that process film? Otherwise, which web-based companies are suggested for processing?

Thanks!

Wal-Mart, Walgreens and CVS will still take your film in but they don't process onsite and they will destroy your negatives. Your best bet would be to go to a local camera store if you still have one around you, otherwise you should try Dwayne's Photo or The Darkroom if you wanna go the online route.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

They charge too much as well and give you back lovely scans.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
many places send them out to bigger labs, which i hear are known to not return negatives. with expired film, they might not bother with the trouble of making adjustments to salvage photos and could return a slip that says there were no photos to print, or remarkably off color photos. best bet is using The Darkroom, or Old school Photo Lab, or buying chemicals to do it yourself if you have the means.

you might even be surprised to learn someone local is doing processing

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Is this just some weird flare/internal reflection, or do you think it might indicate something lovely with the shutter?

000083050021 by S M, on Flickr

Trying out a Nikon F3 after my FE2 went swimming on a long hike around a state park a few weeks ago. I'm suspicious of old horizontal cloth focal plane shutters and particularly that of the F3 after I had one (a beat to hell P model) that always underexposed at faster speeds, on the right-hand side, due to uneven curtain travel.

First roll was not a good test because it was all long exposures. Don't remember how long this one was, but it must've been too slow for shutter curtain speed variance to have any effect on exposure. Still...

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 4, 2020

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Yeah that looks an awful lot like shutter fuckery. Take a few shots with another roll at a few speeds, cut it out in the dark and develop it to be sure.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Agreed. That looks way too linear to be flare.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Looks like my Kiev that suffered mirror bounce.

It would be up to 3 lines, not all the time and no issue with longer exposures.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yes my old Kiev is exactly what it reminded me of. In this case it was only on the one frame, and it was a long exposure.

Mirror bounce is not something I’d considered. Maybe I just need to use the viewfinder blind.

Edit: actually, I should’ve had the mirror locked up for this shot...

Edit: contrary to what I said before, the curtains move from right to left, so it could be shutter bounce. Using my phone’s slow-mo video mode seems like a good way to get video of the shutter’s movement, but I haven’t been able to draw any conclusions from the recordings so far.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 4, 2020

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

So, I’ve learned first hand what a piece of junk the 120 holder that comes with the V600 is. Anyone try the Better Scanning replacement dealio? I’m willing to shell out if it’ll improve the workflow.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

President Beep posted:

So, I’ve learned first hand what a piece of junk the 120 holder that comes with the V600 is. Anyone try the Better Scanning replacement dealio? I’m willing to shell out if it’ll improve the workflow.

It’s a bit flimsy. What issue does yours have?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Flimsy in general, also sometimes have issues with film sagging. Figured something like the Better Scanning holder with the ANR glass insert would be an improvement.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

President Beep posted:

Flimsy in general, also sometimes have issues with film sagging. Figured something like the Better Scanning holder with the ANR glass insert would be an improvement.

I may look into those as well. I haven’t had too many issues with the holders as of now but I’m sure better holders would yield a better scan

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I get better results from an ANR glass plate for 120. Can't remember if it was BetterScanning brand or not. It fits into the lower piece of my v550's holder in place of the plastic frame. Much better film flatness. Whether or not that does just a whole hell of a lot for the already marginal image quality of the v550 is kind of in the eye of the beholder IMO, but there is a noticeable (if not huge) improvement. The bulging and awkward shimmying of setting the film into the holder is made a little less annoying by the glass plate, too. You at least have the piece of mind of knowing that you couldn't do anything more.

Speaking of, my v550 is coming on with a green ready light, but that's it. Computer doesn't detect it, and there's no warm-up action. I'm hoping it's just the USB cable going out, but if not I guess I'll be in the market for a new scanner soon.

Kind of annoying because I shot and developed a true test roll from my new F3, but I can't get the frames scanned to check for shutter wackness. In the meantime, I shot this video of the shutter in action with my phone's slow-mo function. Anyone see any obvious signs of dragging, capping, etc.? Speeds shown are 125, 500, 2000..I think.

https://imgur.com/ntckyQP

(The GIF doesn’t play in my version of the awful app browser, but copy/paste into mobile safari does fine.)

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

President Beep posted:

I use a better scanning holder and really like it. Keeping another surface clean and dust free is a small price to pay for flat, in focus negs.