Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

PCE-CD! PCE-CD!

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/TurboGrafx16_MiSTer/blob/master/ReadMe.md

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I must admit that I turned on Rondo of Blood immediately.

But then very quickly switched to Ai Chou Aniki because hell yeah

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Tested the core with Lords of Thunder. A very cool game!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
For folks using the PCE-CD core, you'll want the unpatched Japanese System Card 3.0 for best compatibility. Here are some hashes for the one you want:

CRC32: 6D9A73EF
CRC64: DE2CF2B4AB245FB2
MD5: 38179DF8F4AC870017DB21EBCBF53114
SHA1: 79F5FF55DD10187C7FD7B8DAAB0B3FFBD1F56A2C
SHA256: E11527B3B96CE112A037138988CA72FD117A6B0779C2480D9E03EAEBECE3D9CE

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Well I went with the Mayflash 500 Elite, out of the box I didn't really like the ball top and it was short. So I bought an extender and a bat top. It came with an octagonal gate so I switched to that. Already added the custom art. Really like it, going to be great for Neo Geo and some of the arcade games. Seems like more effort than I want to put in to switch it to 4-way for games that need it, would probably just get another stick down the road. It's also compatible with the Switch.

Tried it out for about 2 hours and it felt great.

Thinking about getting a custom bat top for it... think it would go perfect with the art.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

Well I went with the Mayflash 500 Elite, out of the box I didn't really like the ball top and it was short. So I bought an extender and a bat top. It came with an octagonal gate so I switched to that. Already added the custom art. Really like it, going to be great for Neo Geo and some of the arcade games. Seems like more effort than I want to put in to switch it to 4-way for games that need it, would probably just get another stick down the road. It's also compatible with the Switch.

Tried it out for about 2 hours and it felt great.

Thinking about getting a custom bat top for it... think it would go perfect with the art.

Haha. I spy your post on classic gaming. Grats on the stick.

Are there any good out of the box 4 way sticks out there?

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Bleh Maestro posted:

Haha. I spy your post on classic gaming. Grats on the stick.

Are there any good out of the box 4 way sticks out there?

Any lever with a square gate turned 90 degrees.

Here's too much information on the topic: https://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/restrictors.html

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Probably a longshot, but figured I would ask. I don't know how many people in here stream with their MiSTer and not sure anyone could help unless they have my specific capture device. I got an AVerMedia Live Gamer Portable 2 Plus and it works great for just about everything except the Neo Geo core. ( And some of the arcade cores, but more interested in troubleshooting the Neo Geo. ) Streaming through HDMI, I don't get a signal but if I change to PAL in the core it will give a signal. I've tried a few things like making sure the device's firmware is updated and tried changing the Neo Geo resolution in the Mister ini. Using Streamlab OBS.

Anyone have any suggestions on things to try for a fix?

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Just gauging interest, anyone interested in PCBs for the I/O board or 128MB RAM? I ordered 5 of each from a PCB fab (the minimum order) and don't need that many for myself. All I did was send the zip's straight from the MiSTer repo to the fab so they should work :v:. I'll probably assemble the RAM one for myself this weekend but not sure when I'll get around to the I/O board as I don't really have a pressing need for that one.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if there are other crazies out there who actually want to assemble it or if I'd need to assemble them all to get rid of the extras.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Forseti posted:

Just gauging interest, anyone interested in PCBs for the I/O board or 128MB RAM? I ordered 5 of each from a PCB fab (the minimum order) and don't need that many for myself. All I did was send the zip's straight from the MiSTer repo to the fab so they should work :v:. I'll probably assemble the RAM one for myself this weekend but not sure when I'll get around to the I/O board as I don't really have a pressing need for that one.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if there are other crazies out there who actually want to assemble it or if I'd need to assemble them all to get rid of the extras.

If you're putting them together I'd probably take 2 of each. My stimulus-check-soldering-gear is stuck in customs for the foreseeable future.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Forseti posted:

I'd take a bare IO board PCB if the price was reasonable. I don't know how much they cost you to get fabbed.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

xamphear posted:

I'd take a bare IO board PCB if the price was reasonable. I don't know how much they cost you to get fabbed.

They're from JLCPCB so not a ton, it was about $36 including the DHL shipping so I wouldn't have to wait for weeks. So if I can just slap it in an envelope with the appropriate amount of stamps I was thinking like $5 for the boards (the RAM one is actually the more expensive of the two because it's 4 layer).

I'm not sure what they cost to put together, the RAM one has two chips that cost about $15 from Mouser and then some capacitors but I think the components on the IO board are much less depending on the fan you choose and if you use the sockets and ports from China (as I plan to) rather than say Amphenol parts or something.

The 32MB RAM chips are only like $2 each so I'm not sure why these are so much more as they're 64MB each. There might be a cheaper supplier or equivalent but I just used the part numbers from the github and Mouser because they're in my backyard.

I would've just used misteraddons but they were out of or backordering what I wanted and I was too impatient.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
That sounds reasonable to me. Give me a PM when they come in and you're ready to send it out.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Forseti posted:

I would've just used misteraddons but they were out of or backordering what I wanted and I was too impatient.

The MisterAddons guy said they should have stock in about a week or two if you can wait.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I finally got the last of the parts I needed to put my case together. I'm really liking how it's looking.

This is the one from misteraddons.com, if anybody else is curious.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Ugh I really want one of those PCB cases! Looks mad slick my dude.

This PCE CD core has got me sooooo hype for the eventual PSX core.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Forseti posted:

They're from JLCPCB so not a ton, it was about $36 including the DHL shipping so I wouldn't have to wait for weeks. So if I can just slap it in an envelope with the appropriate amount of stamps I was thinking like $5 for the boards (the RAM one is actually the more expensive of the two because it's 4 layer).

I'm not sure what they cost to put together, the RAM one has two chips that cost about $15 from Mouser and then some capacitors but I think the components on the IO board are much less depending on the fan you choose and if you use the sockets and ports from China (as I plan to) rather than say Amphenol parts or something.

The 32MB RAM chips are only like $2 each so I'm not sure why these are so much more as they're 64MB each. There might be a cheaper supplier or equivalent but I just used the part numbers from the github and Mouser because they're in my backyard.

Just out of curiosity would a stacked USB 3.0 connector work on the I/O board?
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Stewart-Connector-Bel/SS-52000-003?qs=0lQeLiL1qyZZAuRcd4733Q%3D%3D

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
^^ I don't think so without changing the board, footprint of the part looks different with two more tabs on the shield and it looks like more pins as well. The port isn't actually USB if that's what you're thinking though, it's a normal serial port that uses the USB connector as I understand it. Not sure what it's even used for on the IO board to be honest, seems like it would have been easier to just have a 3 pin header there if it's just serial? Maybe it's a high data rate serial or something.

And I actually have all the boards on hand now, I ordered them last week and then was thinking wtf am I going to do with 4 extra of each. Also my first order from JLCPCB so it was a nice test drive for them. I haven't heard any complaints about them online (and it's one of the recommended ones in the MiSTer documentation) and while I haven't had to actually contact them I was really impressed with how smooth the process was. They did a good job from what I can tell by looking. Solder mask is between all the pads on the RAM IC footprints for instance and the silk screen looks pretty nice. They're supposed to be fully tested by their robot at the factory so they should be electrically sound.

I didn't get stencils or anything, the footprints are fairly large for surface mount and shouldn't be difficult to do with an iron if you're used to it which is what I intend to do. For people who haven't done it you basically just flux the pins and drag solder down the line of pins. Excess can be removed with a wick or a clean solder iron tip. I didn't spring for the lead-free tinning on the boards because I use lead solder anyway but figured it was worth pointing it out (it's also shown on the build options). So I guess don't eat these boards.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

I think that's what they use for the LLAPI output, for SNAC at least most notably. It seems like two ports would be better for more plugging in things possibilities.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

For those of you who have been waiting, the CPS1 core has officially been released to the public. If you haven’t already been in the beta, you’re in for a treat.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

For those of you who have been waiting, the CPS1 core has officially been released to the public. If you haven’t already been in the beta, you’re in for a treat.

How accurate is it?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Is there a good guide for the files needed and the file structure to set up CPS1?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Somebody created patches for all of the PC Engine BIOSes (system cards) to skip the "Push Run Button" step, and just autoboot into the game. If anybody's interested, I posted the IPS files on Github with a link to the author's Twitter account in the readme. Apparently it was a super easy thing to do (like two bytes patched per file).

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
As someone that casually gets updates on mister without having one.. what's the expected hardware limit of whatever fpga is in it?

Someone mentioned waiting for ps1 a few days ago and I more or less thought it is below that for whatever reason.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

falz posted:

As someone that casually gets updates on mister without having one.. what's the expected hardware limit of whatever fpga is in it?

Someone mentioned waiting for ps1 a few days ago and I more or less thought it is below that for whatever reason.

Pretty sure the de10 is capable of doing up to ps1/jaguar/3do once all the cores are released. I wouldn't hold hope for much better than that. As well, I dont really see another fpga solution that will be available in any sort of time frame.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Jolo posted:

Is there a good guide for the files needed and the file structure to set up CPS1?

I followed this reddit comment:

Reddit Guy posted:

To get it working for now, use Retrodriven's script (https://github.com/RetroDriven/MiSTerMAME) and after updating, download and manually copy the rbf (https://github.com/jotego/jtbin/blob/master/mister/cps1/releases/jtcps1_20200522.rbf) to the _cps1/cores folder

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Kazvall posted:

Pretty sure the de10 is capable of doing up to ps1/jaguar/3do once all the cores are released. I wouldn't hold hope for much better than that. As well, I dont really see another fpga solution that will be available in any sort of time frame.

Thanks. Also meant to ask about arcade stuff too. Sega super scalers and cps2 stuff seems possible in anyone opinion?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

falz posted:

Thanks. Also meant to ask about arcade stuff too. Sega super scalers and cps2 stuff seems possible in anyone opinion?

CPS2 is apparently being worked on, so it's probably doable unless there's something unexpected. I don't see any signs of work on the Super Scalers, but it seems like it should fit.

I'm personally hoping for the Konami TMNT/Simpsons/X-Men platform to show up at some point, it seems like there's some work going on there.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Thanks, that would cover most of the interesting 2d stuff for me, I don't think I really care about 3d stuff enough to want to go this route for it.

I'll just homer-bush again for a year, I'd hope that someone makes a case that well.. looks nice in a living room by then (ie not a 6" tall brick)

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

falz posted:

Thanks, that would cover most of the interesting 2d stuff for me, I don't think I really care about 3d stuff enough to want to go this route for it.

I'll just homer-bush again for a year, I'd hope that someone makes a case that well.. looks nice in a living room by then (ie not a 6" tall brick)

If this ends up being finalized, it'd be a little more like a piece of AV equipment.

https://twitter.com/sentientsixp/status/1263890025529380865

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

It's nice to have an option for a case that has an ssd mount. I was never a fan of having an OS on an sdcard, and this looks right up my alley.

But man theres some diehard mister grognards who I see bitching about this thing going against the "portable nature" of the platform. lol

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Kazvall posted:

It's nice to have an option for a case that has an ssd mount. I was never a fan of having an OS on an sdcard, and this looks right up my alley.

But man theres some diehard mister grognards who I see bitching about this thing going against the "portable nature" of the platform. lol

I don't know that the DE10-Nano can boot off of anything other than a microSD card. I'm pretty sure MiSTer can only use hard drives for additional storage for cores and games and such because of that, rather than being able to boot the OS off of it, too.

I've never actually tried using one, though, so I'm not 100% sure on that. I load everything but the OS and the RBF/MRA files directly off my NAS, which has way more storage than I'd be able to get out of a 2.5" hard drive anyway.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Kreeblah posted:

If this ends up being finalized, it'd be a little more like a piece of AV equipment.

https://twitter.com/sentientsixp/status/1263890025529380865
Yeah this seems better to me. still pretty.. engineer-ey, but better. 5 usb ports seems odd, but at least the right stuff is in the front and the right stuff is in the back, not poo poo popping out in every direction from the sides.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xKEztIqvaI

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

falz posted:

Yeah this seems better to me. still pretty.. engineer-ey, but better. 5 usb ports seems odd, but at least the right stuff is in the front and the right stuff is in the back, not poo poo popping out in every direction from the sides.

A keyboard, a mouse, and two controllers would be four right there. I was going to say that hooking up an MT-32 would take up the fifth, but it has MIDI connectors on the back for that.

On the other hand, a keyboard and four controllers would be five.

Five seems like a lot at first, but it does make some sense. What I find strange about the design is the dedicated controller ports, since either you use those controllers for everything, or they're useless a good chunk of the time.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

I’ve been dying for a case that could hold a hard drive, but I literally just ordered a Blisster and cables this morning.

If this one had the controller ports replaced with extension cables for that instead, it’d be pretty much perfect.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Kreeblah posted:

I don't know that the DE10-Nano can boot off of anything other than a microSD card. I'm pretty sure MiSTer can only use hard drives for additional storage for cores and games and such because of that, rather than being able to boot the OS off of it, too.

I've never actually tried using one, though, so I'm not 100% sure on that. I load everything but the OS and the RBF/MRA files directly off my NAS, which has way more storage than I'd be able to get out of a 2.5" hard drive anyway.

Ah, gotcha. You could very well be right I havent bit the bullet and gotten one yet.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

TVs Ian posted:

I’ve been dying for a case that could hold a hard drive, but I literally just ordered a Blisster and cables this morning.

If this one had the controller ports replaced with extension cables for that instead, it’d be pretty much perfect.

I just got my BlisSTer set up recently with my case, and I've really been loving it. I haven't even used the LLAPI stuff yet with it, but it's been worth it just having Bliss Box ports on the actual device instead of stretching another cable like a Gamer Pro over to a USB hub.

It's good to hear that some places still have stock, though. I thought everywhere was sold out.

Kazvall posted:

Ah, gotcha. You could very well be right I havent bit the bullet and gotten one yet.

Gotcha. Yeah, the DE10-Nano hardware is kinda weird in some ways. Like, Terasic cheaped out on the network piece by not paying for MAC addresses for the units, so they're actually blank. Meaning, those have to be set in software. The MiSTer Linux distro ends up setting it to 02:03:04:05:06:07 since that's unlikely to conflict with anything anybody already has on their network, but it also means that you can't run multiple of them on the same network without changing that in the config.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Kreeblah posted:

I just got my BlisSTer set up recently with my case, and I've really been loving it. I haven't even used the LLAPI stuff yet with it, but it's been worth it just having Bliss Box ports on the actual device instead of stretching another cable like a Gamer Pro over to a USB hub.

It's good to hear that some places still have stock, though. I thought everywhere was sold out.
Misteraddons posted on Twitter that they had about 40 in stock to sell. I had been on the fence about it for a while, and took it as a sign.

There are still 3 left, it looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ah gently caress yeah, now we're talkin'