Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Picked up a pair of triumph Malvern GoreTex gloves as new winter gloves. I'll toss the Knox zero 3 up for sale. I also ordered a new soft top bag for use on my nx250, a mosko Moto 25l duffel to replace my old enduristan 15l pannier top. I ride too much in mud and dust. The zipper on the endu gets gunked up and hard to open, so I'll clean it up and sell it before I break it.

https://shop.triumphmotorcycles.com/gloves/id-MGVS18122/Malvern_Gloves

https://moskomoto.eu/collections/motorcycle-duffle-bags/products/scout-25-duffle

https://enduristan.co.uk/products/pannier-topper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ive been swapping out the stock armor in my gear and it’s noticeable. Put an Alpinestars Nucleon in my jacket and some ICON pads in my pants. They’re noticeable lighter, more breathable and actually flexible so it doesn’t look like I have two diapers on my knees when I sit down.

Been a pro move so far.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

So I'm starting to get to the point where I want to do track days. I just bought a new ZR-6X to go with my N400 and want to upgrade my helmet this year while I'm still acclimating myself to it. Goal is to do every track day I can next year.

Is it crazy of me to want to get an FIM helmet? As far as I know currently the only one on the market for sale by end users it the AVG pista gp rr, which has a hefty price tag of starting at $1400, but seems worth it to be as it's probably the best protection you can buy. Living in the Chicago area now and having come from Texas a few years ago has rendered me completely immune to the heat here.

I'm also in the process of losing the last ~30 lbs I need to to be back to my old weight so I'll be getting leathers with airbags then. Down almost 40 lbs from when I started a couple of years ago on the N400.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Have you posted in the bike pics thread yet because I really like ninjas

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I posted the N400 some time ago. I won't actually pick up the new one until probably Thursday or Friday because of the torrential rain happening here at the moment, but I will once I do.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Please post any and all Ninjas they're great. What year 636 did you get?

I've owned 3, and the ZX-6R was one of my favorite bikes ever.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Please post any and all Ninjas they're great. What year 636 did you get?

I've owned 3, and the ZX-6R was one of my favorite bikes ever.

It's a 2020, I like new things :v:. Bought the N400 new as well and have never dropped it so I don't feel too bad about it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I wonder how many people want a Ninja from playing Road Rash as a kid, playing that game when I was 12 convinced me I absolutely needed a motorcycle and it had to be a Ninja. Still haven't owned one, but maybe some day.

*edit*
re: paying for gear, I've never regretted paying more for nice gear. I don't know if that helmet is 3x nicer than the typical RF-1200, but it's the most important piece of gear you'll own so it's not hard to justify it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Minnesota Mixup posted:

So I'm starting to get to the point where I want to do track days. I just bought a new ZR-6X to go with my N400 and want to upgrade my helmet this year while I'm still acclimating myself to it. Goal is to do every track day I can next year.

Is it crazy of me to want to get an FIM helmet? As far as I know currently the only one on the market for sale by end users it the AVG pista gp rr, which has a hefty price tag of starting at $1400, but seems worth it to be as it's probably the best protection you can buy. Living in the Chicago area now and having come from Texas a few years ago has rendered me completely immune to the heat here.

I'm also in the process of losing the last ~30 lbs I need to to be back to my old weight so I'll be getting leathers with airbags then. Down almost 40 lbs from when I started a couple of years ago on the N400.

Shoei X-14 / X-spirit 3 is a FIM approved helmet and is a lot cheaper than that. Really like mine.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

Shoei X-14 / X-spirit 3 is a FIM approved helmet and is a lot cheaper than that. Really like mine.

Good idea, I think I'll get that and use the savings for an airbag under my current chest piece.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Minnesota Mixup posted:

It's a 2020, I like new things :v:. Bought the N400 new as well and have never dropped it so I don't feel too bad about it.
Hah same, I made the poor financial decision of buying all my bikes new. I am really tight with money otherwise though, and I never dropped one either so it somehow worked out :v: Had a 300, ZX-6R, and now a ZX-10.

Almost got another ZX-6R but they had price drops on the 2019 ZX-10s.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My Bell Qualifier is decent for what it cost, but I’m weighing the options of getting something more comfortable.

Is the RF1200 the go-to for that price point if it fits my dome well? I’m thinking a rough $500 budget.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Rolo posted:

My Bell Qualifier is decent for what it cost, but I’m weighing the options of getting something more comfortable.

Is the RF1200 the go-to for that price point if it fits my dome well? I’m thinking a rough $500 budget.

RF1200 is a good helmet, but if you like your Bell the Star MIPS is pretty nice and is in the $500 ballpark. The Shoei may have slightly better fit and finish overall, but the Bell has solid features (photochromic visor, adjustable/removable pad at the top of the liner, the MIPS setup obviously). You should be fine either way if you get a good fit.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My RF1200 came in the mail today, giving it a test-run on the couch for an hour or so to make sure I didn't buy a torture device by mismeasuring.

I can't get over how much lighter it feels on the head and in hand than the CL-17. My CL-17 also has the Cardo and gopro on it though so it's not apples to apples.

I don't know what a pressure point feels like, but is it safe to say that if I've worn this for two hours and I don't have any urge to take it off for reasons other than "I'm wearing a helmet on my couch and it's kind of hot" then I haven't experienced one?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yep. Pressure points feel like having a headache. If the fit was too tight, you'd know.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK yeah, nevermind two hours, I didn't even make it fifteen minutes. Box is on its way back to FortNine to get exchanged for a medium.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The RF1200 in small is legit really fuckin small and was hard for me to even get on my head at all despite being very comfortable in a small RF1100. Fortunately the shell size of the medium appears identical (at least to my eyes) despite allegedly being different, so you're not losing out on anything by upsizing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm a comfortable small in HJC CL-17 despite both listing my head as the lowest measurement in medium so I was hoping the same would be the case here. I was also hoping that this would be a "it'll get more comfortable as it breaks in" type of thing but I could feel the headliner so compressed against my temple that there was no way it would break down enough. It's probably a head shape thing so I'm hoping the medium gives me just that little more room in the temple without the rest of my face feeling floppy loose.

Otherwise it felt AMAZING on my head. I have no idea how a helmet that feels that light and open in the bottom can claim to be quieter but I'm going to enjoy finding out.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 19, 2020

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Martytoof posted:

Otherwise it felt AMAZING on my head. I have no idea how a helmet that feels that light and open in the bottom can claim to be quieter but I'm going to enjoy finding out.

Quietness is a function of not only the helmet design but also your head shape, riding position, and the bike you’re on. Don’t be surprised if it doesn’t live up to the hype.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh man there's a WORLD of difference between small RF-1200 and medium. This feels like a glove and I'm loving the feel. Just giving the helmet an hour long couch test right now but already feel super confident.

Unfortunately they gave me matte black instead of glossy but ehh.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
But wait what about the umpteen different sizes of replacement cheek pads you need to try out too?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Martytoof posted:

Oh man there's a WORLD of difference between small RF-1200 and medium. This feels like a glove and I'm loving the feel. Just giving the helmet an hour long couch test right now but already feel super confident.

Unfortunately they gave me matte black instead of glossy but ehh.

I think the matte looks better but holy poo poo is it a fingerprint magnet. I've had luck cleaning it with Windex. I don't know if that's a universally known thing, but there you go.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So far the most annoying thing about the RF1200 is that every time I pull it off my head I instantly lose one or both ear gauges I have in. It strips the o-ring from the back. Going to have to remember to put a few replacement bits of jewelry under my seat for the inevitable.

Moving my Packtalk bold from the HJC was a pain in the rear end too but mostly because I had to re-cut most of the velcro and there's no really good surface on the chin of the Shoei to stick velcro on. It has that faux leather that I'm not sure will hold the velcro for all too long once it gets hot and steamy in there. Oh well. Works for now.

Having dedicated ear holes for speakers made only a 10000000% difference in sound too. With the HJC I fought to centre the speakers on my ears so I don't think I ever really lined them up correctly. Now I have them in the exact same spot and the sound is *chef kiss*

The pinlock on the Shoei is also somehow way better located. When I tucked in with the HJC the top of my vision on the road lined up exactly with where the top of the pinlock insert ended so not only was I in danger of fogging up half my available visible space, but I also had to deal with an annoying silicone o-ring in my line of sight. The Shoei's is *chef kiss*

So my takeaway is *chef kiss*

Strife posted:

I think the matte looks better but holy poo poo is it a fingerprint magnet. I've had luck cleaning it with Windex. I don't know if that's a universally known thing, but there you go.

I have a matte black CL-17 but comparing the two it's really more of a gunmetal-charcoal-something. The RF1200 is like actual factual matte black. I've gotten used to the fingerprints -- it's the stubborn bug carcasses that always get me. I end up laying a wet towel over the shell for thirty minutes after rides just to clean off the massacre.

Edit: Hmm. Shoei got greedy on their replacement shields. My HJC dark smoke came with the pinlock insert. Shoei wants another sixty bucks. I’ll just recycle the one that came with my clear visor since c’mon...

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 21, 2020

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Sorry to keep the thread locked on the rf1200 chat, but I'm still dragging my feet on a new helmet debating between the shoei and the Arai DT-X. The Arai is on closeout at revzilla, so it's about a hundred cheaper than the shoei. I've seen plenty of good things here about the rf 1200, I'm just wondering if anyone has tried on the Arai.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a DT-X and my last helmet was an RF-1100. The DT-X is slightly more oval so I like the fit better and it flows a good bit of air. Really hate the visor latch though, and even though the mounting system was revised a bit ago shoei's is still better and faster if your changing shields a lot.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Okay, a few rides in on the RF-1200, some more updates:

It’s quiet but I wouldn’t say it’s mind-blowingly quiet compared to my CL-17. It’s noticeable without earplugs, but I always ride with plugs in and then it’s just a small incremental increase. I suppose I might start to consider not putting the plugs in if I’m just going down to the shop or something where I won’t be breaking 80kph.

I’d say that cooling is vastly improved over the CL-17, and I appreciate the small gap detents which let me hold my shield open 1cm or so. It’s much sturdier a detent than my CL-17 which I could balance open a crack but would slam closed getting jostled even a slight bit by bumps in the road.

It’s definitely comfortable. I forgot all about it ten minutes in once I stopped thinking about trying to feel out its characteristics.

Getting it on and off is still a bit of a challenge — putting it on invariably leads to folded ears which means I have to noodle my index finger back there until I can straighten them out. Taking it off invariably leads to a loss-of-jewelry incident where I’m looking for my plug o-rings on the ground for the next minute. I’ve started prying the helmet cheek pads open closer to my neck rather than the straps as that gives me a little more wiggle room for my earlobes to potentially avoid this situation. I remember the exact same thing with my CL-17 though and I’m not sure at what point that changed. It could be that the foam on the HJC just broke in a little so it doesn’t push on my ears when I take the helmet on/off anymore. It may also be that the Shoei just has a thicker neck roll so even if it does break in a little I might still just need to be extra careful. Not a plus or minus either way, just an observation.

The feel of the helmet on the road is much more stable IMO. It’s hard to articulate but I think I feel less resistance turning my head to shoulder check, and my sight lines when looking through the very top of my visor are top notch by comparison.

It’s hard for me to say whether the Shoei is three and a half times better than the HJC, given the cost was three and a half times more than what I paid. The quality of life increases are definitely there, and maybe individually they aren’t (mostly) mind blowingly better (although some certainly are), but the complete package definitely delivers enough improvement that if I had to justify the price again I easily would.

CL-17 I think its a great first helmet for someone starting out, on a tight budget. I have a feeling if I never touched the Shoei I’d be happy with the HJC for a good long time. A good case of ignorance being bliss. The only major major issue I had with the HJC was the top of the pinlock insert ending right where your eyes want to be when you’re tucking in. That was really distracting and forced me to keep my head more vertical/higher than I’d liked a lot at highway/increased speed.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 23, 2020

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Have you tried using a thin merino tube scarf? Very good in all weather, and if you wear it in such a way that the top opening is a ring from the top-back of your head to under your nose or chin, it keeps jewellery or headphones in no problem, and has the added benefit of plugging the opening of the helmet, which significantly reduces wind noise. So significantly that I actually don't like riding without one now.

e. It also acts as a seal between helmet and jacket and stops your collar from rubbing when jacket is done up fully

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No, but that’s a great idea and now I feel dumb because I’m fairly sure someone else also told me to get something similar and I completely forgot.

I’ll see what I can find this weekend, thanks!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
ya i have recommended scarves on many occasions. all full-face helmets are pretty aerodynamic so the majority of the wind noise is from the turbulence around your neck.

also try sitting up extra straight and tucking your head down a bit, which has the same wind-blocking effect as a scarf. it's not the ideal long term riding position but it can give you an idea of how much quieter things can get.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Today I learned I am a large army man: sprang for a pair of military surplus "gore-tex like" waterproof overtrousers, and in size large they fit perfectly over my armour trousers with just enough extra material at the knee that they don't bind up when I sit down. Side zips go all the way up to the waistline so they're really easy to get on and off. They are ridiculously comfortable.

Hopefully they'll last longer than the rubberised nylon pair I got last year, but even if they don't I'm not that bothered given they were only £25 shipped.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I find my ears fold much less if I open my mouth and pull the helmet straight down, not in an arc. If they do fold I can usually wiggle the helmet a little to unfold them.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Today I learned I am a large army man: sprang for a pair of military surplus "gore-tex like" waterproof overtrousers, and in size large they fit perfectly over my armour trousers with just enough extra material at the knee that they don't bind up when I sit down. Side zips go all the way up to the waistline so they're really easy to get on and off. They are ridiculously comfortable.

Hopefully they'll last longer than the rubberised nylon pair I got last year, but even if they don't I'm not that bothered given they were only £25 shipped.

I've worn these a lot and the lightweight goretex suit is not really waterproof. The heavier one is actually pretty good.

https://forcesuniformandkit.co.uk/c...=31507806093406

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Every time I don and doff my helmet I enjoy being bald with my head shaved and having no earrings.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Holy poo poo doff is an actual word.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

moxieman posted:

Every time I don and doff my helmet I enjoy being bald with my head shaved and having no earrings.

I did a quarantine head shave a week ago and I'm not gonna lie, it's really good :3:

The jewelry stays but I got the Shoei's chin curtain caught on my septum today so it's definitely not without folly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

Holy poo poo doff is an actual word.

Put helmet d'on.

Take helmet d'off.

I wish we still spoke old English and not the colonial peasant pidgin American media has inflicted on the world.

It's car-RIB-bean not cari-BEAN you fucks :argh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Annoying everyone with American pronunciation isn’t the bug, but rather the feature :ssh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m a little concerned with my earplugs lately. After an hour of riding I feel some pain in my ear canals.

I don’t know what the medical terminology is but my right ear canal has this thing where the entrance has a partial blockage which makes foamies impossible to insert reliably.

Right now I’m rocking EarPeace “petite” plugs and even those seem to be kind of annoying, putting pressure on all the wrong places.. Just wondering whether anyone’s had any luck with those form-it-yourself putty type earplugs that are hot water mouldable? I guess failing that I’ll look to see if I can get custom plugs made by an audiologist.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Martytoof posted:

I’m a little concerned with my earplugs lately. After an hour of riding I feel some pain in my ear canals.

I don’t know what the medical terminology is but my right ear canal has this thing where the entrance has a partial blockage which makes foamies impossible to insert reliably.

Right now I’m rocking EarPeace “petite” plugs and even those seem to be kind of annoying, putting pressure on all the wrong places.. Just wondering whether anyone’s had any luck with those form-it-yourself putty type earplugs that are hot water mouldable? I guess failing that I’ll look to see if I can get custom plugs made by an audiologist.

I have these and like them. https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Plugs-Worlds-Plug-Personal/dp/B003G5W3KG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Interesting, thanks! How durable are these? It seems like they’re sold in quantity — do they just wear down after a while?