Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

What's the best way to buy new boots right now? Should I order a couple pairs online and hope one fits? or go to a store and hope they let me try stuff on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Depends. Are stores open for you to enter? If so, go shop for boots. If not, order a poo poo ton of boots and go from there. Return what you don't need. Look at places with a good return policy. You might end up spending a lot on return shipping though. If a store is doing curbside only, call them and see if they can help you out what their process might be. They might be able to bring a few pairs out to try at a time, then adjust size from there.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Zappos should have free two way shipping if you're in the US. They used to, but I haven't bought from them in a while so I'm not sure if they still do. I've bought a ton of climbing shoes from them, including the same pair in multiple sizes in one order, and then shipped back everything I didn't want. I've done that several times now and never had an issue.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

can you wear smartwool underwear in the summer?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, the underwear police will come after you.

(it's fine, it's not thick or hot at all, it's just normal underwear made out of expensive wool)

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Yes. Forget everything you think you know about wool. Aside from getting holes, It is a great fiber all year long.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah wool rules. I use smartwool socks for motorcycling when summer hits. They’re breathable and keep my feet dry.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Yeah I love wool socks I just didn't know how it was during summer as underwear

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Wool is great during the summer. It does a great job of keeping you the temperature you need to be, you know as long as you dress appropriately.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

My prana shorts came. The rumors were true, they are comfy as hell

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Literally wearing mine right now.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

My prana shorts came. The rumors were true, they are comfy as hell

Rotten Cookies posted:

Holy poo poo I ordered 2 pairs of prana shorts from the REI sale based on recs in here and god drat they are super loving comfortable.

withak posted:

Literally wearing mine right now.

Which model of shorts did you guys get? I didn't realize there were over a dozen types. I am tempted to grab brion shorts because I like the pants, but the hybridizer looks nice.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I got brions cause I don't need a ton of pockets. Zions are the same fabric with more doo dads

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I got Zions, but only because they didn't have my size for Brions. As previous poster said, I think the only difference is cargo pockets?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
The zions also have an (unobtrusive) integrated pull-cinch belt thing. I have both and wear them mostly interchangeably. I do slightly prefer the brions for city wear and the zions when I'm out climbing or hiking, but they are very similar.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Gotcha, thanks. I originally started my Prana journey with Zion convertible pants. The pockets and belt were definitely handy. I found that after keeping my pockets full on many hikes that they got kinda saggy, but they are definitely very functional. Anyway, I'll probably try out the brion shorts to start.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Yeah, the zion cargo pockets start life very slim and snug. After a few years of jamming zip lock bags full of gummy bears into them on climbing trips though, they do puff out a little bit, but nothing like real cargo pants side pockets.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

I think the cut on the Brion is different, I need to try them again though. The one pair I tried were way tighter than my Zions but I'd really like losing the cargo pocket.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
I have both Zions and Brions. Very much prefer the Brions. Zions have the cargo pocket, which rubs on my knee anytime I climb or hike a steep uphill. Also, the weird roll-up snap cuffs. The Brions have everything I want and nothing I don’t.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I just picked up an ENO DoubleNest because I have been told the Hammock Lifestyle is the best lifestyle. The DoubleNest has 5x more review on the REI website, and many seem to recommend the double as a solid all-around hammock. But I’ve discovered an issue…

I’m enjoying the diagonal lay and all its flatness, but holy moly is there a truckload of extra fabric on this thing that seems to want to lay literally nowhere other than my face. Not just on the side, but literally covering my face. Is this a necessary feature of the DoubleNest and is there something I’m doing wrong?

I’m 5’8” so perhaps I’m just too small for this thing? Is the SingleNest substantially less obtrusive with the side fabric?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Ah dog you forgot to get an ENO SleepSnorkel during the sale didn't you?

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a

Dangerllama posted:

I just picked up an ENO DoubleNest because I have been told the Hammock Lifestyle is the best lifestyle. The DoubleNest has 5x more review on the REI website, and many seem to recommend the double as a solid all-around hammock. But I’ve discovered an issue…

I’m enjoying the diagonal lay and all its flatness, but holy moly is there a truckload of extra fabric on this thing that seems to want to lay literally nowhere other than my face. Not just on the side, but literally covering my face. Is this a necessary feature of the DoubleNest and is there something I’m doing wrong?

I’m 5’8” so perhaps I’m just too small for this thing? Is the SingleNest substantially less obtrusive with the side fabric?

Try moving your body closer to the head end so your head will be laying more on that extra fabric. If the lay doesn’t feel quite the same that way, move the leg end straps a little further up the tree. You’re not too small, just change up where in the hammock you’re laying.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I use a SingleNest and it’s perfect for me. I have a little extra fabric so I can pull it over my face or legs to create shade but it doesn’t do it on its own.

It also packs better and I don’t really like sharing hammocks.

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a

Rolo posted:

I use a SingleNest and it’s perfect for me. I have a little extra fabric so I can pull it over my face or legs to create shade but it doesn’t do it on its own.

It also packs better and I don’t really like sharing hammocks.

Yeah “double” hammocks are marketed as being big enough for two people, but I don’t know anyone that uses them that way. What it tangibly means is a double is wider than a single, which for some people makes getting a diagonal lay easier.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I need some help with a really dumb/basic question.

I want to buy a big tarp and set it up outdoors, like a pavilion/fly. I've seen some basic youtube video of how to do this and my question isn't really about the how, it's about the materials. Specifically, what kind of wooden poles should I be using and where can I buy them? I've been browsing local home improvement stores online and I can't find anything that looks appropriate. I'm also  not really sure how thick or long the poles should be? I think I'll be lashing two poles together so five or six feet each should be plenty?

So, can anyone recommend how thick the poles should be, and should I be able to find them at a place like Lowe's or Home Depot?

Edit: this is the kind of thing I'm talking about :

https://youtu.be/m-xSaYvIV7A

Edit2: maybe I can use these 3" x 6' fence posts I'm seeing in stock nearby, they're only about $6 each?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 2, 2020

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

I need some help with a really dumb/basic question.

I want to buy a big tarp and set it up outdoors, like a pavilion/fly. I've seen some basic youtube video of how to do this and my question isn't really about the how, it's about the materials. Specifically, what kind of wooden poles should I be using and where can I buy them? I've been browsing local home improvement stores online and I can't find anything that looks appropriate. I'm also  not really sure how thick or long the poles should be? I think I'll be lashing two poles together so five or six feet each should be plenty?

So, can anyone recommend how thick the poles should be, and should I be able to find them at a place like Lowe's or Home Depot?

Edit: this is the kind of thing I'm talking about :

https://youtu.be/m-xSaYvIV7A

Edit2: maybe I can use these 3" x 6' fence posts I'm seeing in stock nearby, they're only about $6 each?

I would think you could use replacement broom/shovel handles from Lowe's or Home Depot if you wanted to lash them together. > https://www.homedepot.com/p/True-Temper-48-in-Open-Back-Shovel-Handle-2037300/100605629

Or if you wanted to do just like in the video they sell Scout staves on their website > https://www.scoutshop.org/hiking-staff-1443.html

Final option if you want to go crazy overkill buy surplus military aluminum masts/poles that screw together, no lashing required and great for attracting lightning!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was worried wooden broom handles wouldn't be strong enough, if those will work they don't seem to cost much at all.

I see now that "scout poles" are only 1 1/8" dia, so there are a lot of places I can find something like that, lowes has hardwood dowels that go up to 1 1/4".

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 2, 2020

Martin
Jan 17, 2004

All I know in life is how to pour whiskey and run my mouth off
Dinosaur Gum

Ledhed posted:

Yeah “double” hammocks are marketed as being big enough for two people, but I don’t know anyone that uses them that way. What it tangibly means is a double is wider than a single, which for some people makes getting a diagonal lay easier.

Yeah, that’s basically what the dude at my store said aswell. It’s just more spacious and also you can use it for two persons sitting and chilling. It’ll support the weight for two people, but I don’t think it’s viable as a sleeping option for two.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! Time to hit up Zappos.

So I remembered I had a pair of Xero sandals I had forgotten about and pulled them out again and think they are really fantastic - comfortable, good traction, and you can really really feel the ground. So based on that I ordered some Xero Terraflex shoes and I absolutely hate them. It's the worst combination between regular shoes and barefoot-style. You can hardly feel the ground yet the sole isn't comfortable or supportive, it has really poor traction, and something about my right foot doesn't work well with it and is still hurting a day later after an hour-long hike. Just a heads up for anyone else out there.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Mozi posted:

So I remembered I had a pair of Xero sandals I had forgotten about and pulled them out again and think they are really fantastic - comfortable, good traction, and you can really really feel the ground. So based on that I ordered some Xero Terraflex shoes and I absolutely hate them. It's the worst combination between regular shoes and barefoot-style. You can hardly feel the ground yet the sole isn't comfortable or supportive, it has really poor traction, and something about my right foot doesn't work well with it and is still hurting a day later after an hour-long hike. Just a heads up for anyone else out there.

Counterpoint, they are awesome trail running shoes and MTB flat pedal shoes, but I understand what you're saying about less ground feel, that's kinda the point tho. I've never had traction problems w them but I'm in west MI so sandy soils and not a ton of elevation.

They're like an even more minimal Altra Superior. If you want "support" from your shoe sole tho, look elsewhere, cuz like Altras they are completely flat (which I love). Merrell Vapor Glove maybe? To me those have a heinously high arch but YMMV.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Are the Brion pants a real slim fit or still baggy? I vastly prefer a slim fit and hate the boot cut look

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m skinny and they fit like a regular cut. I hate baggy pants and I don’t hate brions.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

My Brion pants are still pretty loose around the ankles. I think I like the shape of the straight leg (not boot cut) Zions better.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m gonna be day hiking in rain this week and realized I still haven’t cotton proofed my butt yet. I got 2 pair of exOfficio boxer briefs and I’m kinda excited to see how they feel compared to my go-to Haines bulk buys.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

I’m gonna be day hiking in rain this week and realized I still haven’t cotton proofed my butt yet. I got 2 pair of exOfficio boxer briefs and I’m kinda excited to see how they feel compared to my go-to Haines bulk buys.

Your rear end is gonna thank you—synthetic briefs are a game changer.

I’ve been having a lot of issues with my underquilts sliding on the Warbonnet Blackbird, presumably because of the foot shelf. So I finally caved and bought the 40 degree wookie quilt designed for it. Bummed, but I’m sick of waking up cold and readjusting my quilt in the middle of the night.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Whats a good way to remove a bunch of sap from a footprint?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I reference this from REI when it’s time to clean fabrics. If it’s safe for a tent I assume it’s footprint safe:

quote:

If there’s pine sap on your tent, spot clean the tent with mineral oil, but be careful not to over-scrub. You can also try alcohol-based products like hand sanitizer or wet wipes. Be sure to rinse thoroughly with water once the sap is removed

Sauce:

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/how-to-clean-a-tent.html

Crappier advice: depends on how much sap and how much a new footprint is...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Selling some of my lightly used gear in SA-Mart
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932531

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ledhed posted:

My gf and I use our double hammock together constantly, but as a chair or place to chill while hiking. Sleeping overnight in it together would be awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
whats everyone's favorite freeze dried camping meals? i think i've had mountain house in the past and it was ok, but its been a long, long time