Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

wormil posted:

What is the go-to cocktail app?

Please Don't Tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Please Don't Tell

Never heard of it

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Living up to it's name I guess.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

chitoryu12 posted:

This is from Dave Arnold's Liquid Intelligence so I generally trust him, but I've personally not noticed much difference between freshly squeezed juice and juice from a bottle squeezed a few hours ago. I could maybe tell a difference doing side-by-side tastings, but I'd never tell just going to the bar and ordering a drink.

Checks out, as I own that book!

Though, really, how many of us have a bottle of orange juice sitting in our fridge right now that has been open for a week+ ?

They will definitely get gnarly given enough time but, like unopened wine storage, I feel like things are significantly more durable than the extreme purists give credit for.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Never heard of it

Apple only.

My favorite app so far is My Cocktail Bar, easy to use, simple UI, ingredients can be added from the recipe or main menu, it doesn't treat branded and generic liquor recipes differently, but it is mostly classic recipes.

A lot of them try to be clever or cute and the UI suffers.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

wormil posted:

Apple only.

My favorite app so far is My Cocktail Bar, easy to use, simple UI, ingredients can be added from the recipe or main menu, it doesn't treat branded and generic liquor recipes differently, but it is mostly classic recipes.

A lot of them try to be clever or cute and the UI suffers.

Plus a husbando to keep you company

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Cocktail app sponsored by Kongregate

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Who needs a husbando when you got two hamsters

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I am checking if I'm going to die. I made a bunch of shrub syrups a while ago and am wondering if these have a shelf life. They've been in the fridge since their creation, and I'm assuming given the volume of sugar and vinegar in them (I did 1:1:1 fruit:sugar:vinegar) that they will keep more or less forever, but wanted to check if anyone actually knows.

I'm drinking a gin shrub right now with my raspberry syrup so RIP to me in advance if I'm going to die.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Nah you're fine. They technically don't even need refrigeration. The worst you're going to see happen to them (assuming they aren't contaminated by something) is degradation of flavors.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Grand Fromage posted:

I am checking if I'm going to die. I made a bunch of shrub syrups a while ago and am wondering if these have a shelf life. They've been in the fridge since their creation, and I'm assuming given the volume of sugar and vinegar in them (I did 1:1:1 fruit:sugar:vinegar) that they will keep more or less forever, but wanted to check if anyone actually knows.

I'm drinking a gin shrub right now with my raspberry syrup so RIP to me in advance if I'm going to die.

You’re fine. High concentrations of sugar or vinegar will kill pretty much anything.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Thinking on it, it seems kind of weird that I’ve never seen a tiki recipe call for amaretto. You’d think that almond flavor would be desirable.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Plus a husbando to keep you company

No idea where you found that, it doesn't even come up in a search but I'm talking about the version by Roman Shuvaev.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Anonymous Robot posted:

Thinking on it, it seems kind of weird that I’ve never seen a tiki recipe call for amaretto. You’d think that almond flavor would be desirable.

Don’t they use orgeat for that?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

wormil posted:

No idea where you found that, it doesn't even come up in a search but I'm talking about the version by Roman Shuvaev.

Ah, looks like that’s an Android app.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

zmcnulty posted:

Who needs a husbando when you got two hamsters

I would like to know more about the hamster bartenders

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Don’t they use orgeat for that?

Yeah, but I wonder why nobody ever puts amaretto in that role. Too heavy? Seems like it’d be a nice fit.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

They're super different flavors imo.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Orgeat has an almost meaty flavor, like you’re drinking a food. Amaretto tastes like brandy-flavored almond extract

It’s like a vanilla milk shake vs vanilla that you bake with

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I wonder if my experience is skewed because I’ve only ever had Small Hand Foods orgeat, which has a marizpan like flavor.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Anonymous Robot posted:

I wonder if my experience is skewed because I’ve only ever had Small Hand Foods orgeat, which has a marizpan like flavor.

I have some from some Liber&Co and it’s the same way

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

CleverHans posted:

I would like to know more about the hamster bartenders

It's just a dumb tamagotchi-like game rather than an actual cocktail app. You harvest seeds to order drinks, and talk to the bartenders/regulars that come through. I don't think there's an English version available.
https://www.serori.co.jp/hambar/

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

zmcnulty posted:

It's just a dumb tamagotchi-like game rather than an actual cocktail app. You harvest seeds to order drinks, and talk to the bartenders/regulars that come through. I don't think there's an English version available.
https://www.serori.co.jp/hambar/

if youre going to play a bartender game why would it NOT be VA-11 Hall-A?!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

If you want a really surprising drink, here's one my partner made up years ago that she's just sharing with me now. I wish I'd known about it longer! It really straddles that line between sweet and earthy.

1 oz beet gin (soak a shredded beet in 750ml of gin)
1 oz fernet branca
1 oz lime juice
.75 oz orgeat
.25 oz simple

If you'd like you can do beet simple syrup instead, if you do that make the orgeat/simple ratio 50/50.

Still needs a name too so if you have any fun ideas we're open!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Carillon posted:

If you want a really surprising drink, here's one my partner made up years ago that she's just sharing with me now. I wish I'd known about it longer! It really straddles that line between sweet and earthy.

1 oz beet gin (soak a shredded beet in 750ml of gin)
1 oz fernet branca
1 oz lime juice
.75 oz orgeat
.25 oz simple

If you'd like you can do beet simple syrup instead, if you do that make the orgeat/simple ratio 50/50.

Still needs a name too so if you have any fun ideas we're open!

Saving this and picking up some beets. As for names, it begs some reference to Dwight Schrute. What gin do you recommend?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I used tanqueray and it was fantastic. Using Hendricks or something soft would likely get lost, I think you need the structure for a London style. To be fair I feel that way about most gin applications.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
How long did the infusion take? Are you saying you can do beet simple instead of the infusion?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So I did an infusion just overnight. I didn't do a beet simple but was told by my partner that the effect was quite similar with a beet simple. She said she was surprised at how much of the same drink it was when we did the beet infusion.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Add a little citric to the beet infusion and keep it cold. It browns out pretty fast otherwise.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Bandit posted:

Add a little citric to the beet infusion and keep it cold. It browns out pretty fast otherwise.

What? Are you saying the beet infused gin goes brown?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I gave Master's Gin a try last night because I'm burning myself out on Tanqueray, my go-to workhorse gin. I didn't find it nearly as citrusy as theginisin.com suggested but I DID find it just as alcohol-burning as they mentioned and found it poor for G&T's. I'm hoping with Nova Scotia's low numbers that Steinhart will be more accessible, as it has been the most enjoyable gin I've had (though a potential headache monster at almost 48%)

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I dunno about a beet simple, but beet gin doesn't.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

I’ve had issues with beet infused rum oxidizing and going brown for sure

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Are these raw beets? Peeled? With most things, you can blanch them first so that they don’t oxidize. I mean, I’ve done it with herbs before blending up to make a syrup that stays green, but I dunno poo poo about beets.

We used to do a reposado tequila sour with beet juice run off though. The beets would be roasted with baking spices for a salad, and I’d collect the run off juice and combine with a cinnamon simple syrup. Add reposado tequila, sour mix (2:1:1 oj:lemon:lime), Cynar, and egg white, and you have a gorgeous purple deliciously earthy cocktail. Garnish with some grated cinnamon and a sage leaf for color contrast.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I'm pretty sure a little bit of citric acid powder would stop it from oxidizing too.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I’ve done raw and roasted, I think the flavor is better raw and iirc that’s when I had the issues. I’m talking 2-3 weeks. I was just saying for home use you might want to take precaution to preserve it because the color will go off.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Any interesting bitters I could mix with straight fizzy water to make a zero-cal drink?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Any interesting bitters I could mix with straight fizzy water to make a zero-cal drink?

I’m really fond of Fee Brothers’ orange bitters in plain seltzer.

Edit: Strongwater’s floral bitters, with lavender, chamomile, and wormwood are nice too.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

"I tried putting tonic syrup in my coffee so you don't have to. It was interesting but very bad flavor, not recommended"

...is what I would have said if I weren't afraid of a good VC opportunity. Step right up and try the latest weight loss coffee fad, Cure-all Coffee! $10 a cup

BrianBoitano posted:

Ascorbic would be even better antioxidant without impacting flavor as much. Slightly bitter but basically no tartness. I bought a kilo on a whim which is way too much, so I'm willing to send a baggy free to any cocktail goons want to try some. Same offer for malic acid, which is sour apple & what differentiates lime from lemon. I'm playing with making different sodas for easy highballs and zero-proof drinks.

Whether bags of white powder actually make it to you is between god and the post office though!

Last day for this if you want some, want to send batches all out tomorrow with the mail.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Any idea on how to use these Mrs. Better's Tonic Bitters?

It looks like it's quinine and spices? Can you OD on quinine? I'd like to make G&T's with soda water and very few calories