Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Some pork cutlets with an old timey recipe from Townsends. Made sauce from the drippings and had with french fries, best drat pork cutlets I've ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
xpost from the pizza thread:

couple of pepperonis last night:

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

large hands posted:

Motherfuck. What kind of oven you use?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Halal cart chicken strikes again.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

large hands posted:

Absolutely gorgeous.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Motherfuck. What kind of oven you use?

Ooni Koda (12"). It's worth every penny.

toplitzin posted:

Halal cart chicken strikes again.

I'm so addicted to that recipe, yours looks prettier than mine ever does

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
This all came together amazingly for being spaced out when I could get the pieces and freezing things along the way. I am ecstatic with how good it tasted. The process of baking baking soda to make sodium carbonate worked a charm. The noodles were lovely and chewy.

Post nood(les):

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

large hands posted:

Oh my gawd.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

large hands posted:

deets on the dough recipe plz

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

deets on the dough recipe plz

if you're going to make pizza at high heat, read Jeff Varasanos crazy pizza geocities style website. Ive read it a bunch but now i'm tired of hunting through the wall of text so here are the relevant parts:

Autolyse

Pour all the ingredients into the mixer, except just use 75% of the flour for now. So all of the water, salt, poolish (Video of Poolish), Instant dry Yeast (if used) and 75% of the flour are put into the mixer. Everything should be room temperature or a bit cooler.

Mix on lowest speed for 1-2 minutes or until completely blended. At this stage you should have a mix that is drier than a batter, but wetter than a dough. Closer to batter probably.

Cover and Let it rest for 20 minutes.

Wet Kneading

Start Mixing on Low speed for 8 minutes. 5 minutes into it start adding flour gradually.

After the first 6-8 minutes increase the speed of the mixer slightly.

Let it rest for 15-20 minutes. If you were to do a window pane test before the rest, you might be disappointed. Afterwards it will test well:

Pour out onto a floured surface and portion into balls with a scraper.

put the balls into very lightly oiled containers and rest in the fridge for 1-5 days

e: i use 200g balls for my 12" pies, which is a bit on the thinner side than the NY style that Jeff's weights would give you

large hands fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 21, 2020

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Goddamn I need a pizza oven.

Very cheap flat iron steak, garlic broccoli, and bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I basically only eat dinner, and I eat late when the sun is down, and all I really have is my phone with a half busted camera, and I can't really be bothered to white balance anything (is there any photo app for an iPhone... 5 I think, or maybe 4 which works better than the default?) so I feel bad about all my lovely pictures. But at least my food is good:

Aloo methi, aka potatoes with fenugreek leaves. Absolutely delicious.

I too, have aloo methi'd

(come hang out with us in the Indian food thread, y'all!)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You and everyone else making potatoes should definitely also visit the potato thread!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I have a ramen problem. I keep making ramen. Tonight I made Sapporo Style, with a miso tare. Caveat that it’s all with what I had on hand, quarantine donchaknow.
I also made gyoza.

Bonus shot of the noodles, because I am actually really proud of them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

large hands posted:

if you're going to make pizza at high heat, read Jeff Varasanos crazy pizza geocities style website. Ive read it a bunch but now i'm tired of hunting through the wall of text so here are the relevant parts:

Autolyse

Pour all the ingredients into the mixer, except just use 75% of the flour for now. So all of the water, salt, poolish (Video of Poolish), Instant dry Yeast (if used) and 75% of the flour are put into the mixer. Everything should be room temperature or a bit cooler.

Mix on lowest speed for 1-2 minutes or until completely blended. At this stage you should have a mix that is drier than a batter, but wetter than a dough. Closer to batter probably.

Cover and Let it rest for 20 minutes.

Wet Kneading

Start Mixing on Low speed for 8 minutes. 5 minutes into it start adding flour gradually.

After the first 6-8 minutes increase the speed of the mixer slightly.

Let it rest for 15-20 minutes. If you were to do a window pane test before the rest, you might be disappointed. Afterwards it will test well:

Pour out onto a floured surface and portion into balls with a scraper.

put the balls into very lightly oiled containers and rest in the fridge for 1-5 days

e: i use 200g balls for my 12" pies, which is a bit on the thinner side than the NY style that Jeff's weights would give you

:eyepop: drat now thats what i call an effort post! gonna try this out after i get my ooni koda for father's day

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

CaptainCrunch posted:

I have a ramen problem. I keep making ramen. Tonight I made Sapporo Style, with a miso tare. Caveat that it’s all with what I had on hand, quarantine donchaknow.
I also made gyoza.

Bonus shot of the noodles, because I am actually really proud of them.

Problem? What's the problem?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Dirt simple toor dal.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Resting Lich Face posted:

Problem? What's the problem?

I will run out very quickly if I make this every day.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Same potato dal as ever just experimenting with different lighting.

I know the bowl being cut off isn't ideal but this is the only shot that was in focus.

MistressMeeps
Dec 27, 2017
Made chicken enchiladas for dinner. We never can agree on a favorite sauce, so this happened...

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sup chickelada buddy :hf:

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
drat those enchiladas look gooood.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Late night meatballs and farfalle.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Kala chana

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

My main problem with lentil-based indian food is that one batch is 1.5 weeks of meals.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Hey, if you're interested in improving your food photography, try plating in something other than a dog food bowl.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

made some sopa de ajo. So loving good

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Ramp and short rib frittata for brunch

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Grilled up some corn, squash, and swordfish tonight.

I think the swordfish hit the grill with a little too much herbs in the marinade, and they stopped it from getting decent grill marks. Good taste though.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

prayer group posted:

Hey, if you're interested in improving your food photography, try plating in something other than a dog food bowl.
In India (which is where I live), food is often served in these vessels. In any case, even if I wanted something different (I don't - I like the bowl!) the whole country is locked down right now, which means I haven't been able to fill out my extremely under-stocked kitchen (which wasn't being used before lockdown). I've been rolling out my roti with a bottle of gin for the rolling pin and a plate for the rolling surface. I have no tawa to cook them so I have to use a pan with high sides, which is inconvenient. I have no spice grinder and no mixi or blender which means I can't make a lot of foods. Sometimes I put spices in a small bowl and smash them with the bottom of my knife handle, but it feels dangerous. I have one spoon and one fork that are not rusty. So, things are a little challenging in some ways.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Huh, didn't know those were an Indian thing! Good on you for still cooking, and feeling proud enough of what you make to share it. Sorry I was a butthole.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

prayer group posted:

Huh, didn't know those were an Indian thing! Good on you for still cooking, and feeling proud enough of what you make to share it. Sorry I was a butthole.

They're actually used in Chinese cooking too! Very useful for steaming eggs and such.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

wouldn't the butthole get damaged by the steam?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

BrianBoitano posted:

wouldn't the butthole get damaged by the steam?

Nah you then fry it and cover in peppercorns.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
loving butthole purists

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I made lamb. Excuse the blurry money shot, I was a bottle of wine in, and very hungry.

It was amazing.

Wood-roasted lamb with a red wine pan sauce, with rosemary baby potatoes, asparagus, and roasted Brussel sprouts.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Saw someone making this bannock bread on YouTube and thought "I have those ingredients in my house right now" so I made some. Unfortunately my stove is too hot so it burned a bit and set off the smoke alarm. Also, the proportions given for the recipe seemed to be way off because I had to add way more flour after ending up with something more akin to soup than dough. End result was ok though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Saw someone making this bannock bread on YouTube and thought "I have those ingredients in my house right now" so I made some. Unfortunately my stove is too hot so it burned a bit and set off the smoke alarm. Also, the proportions given for the recipe seemed to be way off because I had to add way more flour after ending up with something more akin to soup than dough. End result was ok though.

It works a lot better with more oil and a cast iron pan if you have one. I think your dough actually looks too dry - the recipe may have been correct. It should be almost like pancake mix. I'd still eat that!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

VelociBacon posted:

It works a lot better with more oil and a cast iron pan if you have one. I think your dough actually looks too dry - the recipe may have been correct. It should be almost like pancake mix. I'd still eat that!

I may have over-corrected but it was definitely way too liquid to begin with. The recipe said to knead and then pat into a circle about an inch thick, and what I had in my mixing bowl was way too liquidy to do either of those things. If I'd tried it would have just run off the edge of the bench. I'll possibly try it again at some point though and hopefully remember to add less flour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

You can get away with less flour if you let it sit to hydrate too. Not enough to go from soup to knead-able, but it can cover some of the distance.