Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

So how do I play with any goons or find them?

I'm on new Babbage doing whatever in the commons, enjoying how much detail they put into this level that is literally just like 3 stores with some options.

I'm sure this won't get old after a while when you just want to buy something.

They did this in preparation for this week (lol):

https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/360008166874-Group-Up-with-Friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

I'm on new Babbage doing whatever in the commons, enjoying how much detail they put into this level that is literally just like 3 stores with some options.

Go to Jail!

All the goons will be in jail.

Goon jail password in the showers is "oh poo poo, I've drop my soap"

Citizen jail password in the showers is "Oh no Chris, I seemed to have dropped my soap again, opps $175"

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

i was trying to figure this out myself and i had asked earlier. i'm pretty sure this is the goon group in sc but i can't find anyone who's in it or can send invites:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/FLJK/members

let me know if you have any luck.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
So good news. It took me this long to finally get to the ship and spawn it in.

Everything seemed to be going well up until that point! They even had some things that had subtitles to them as well. Good job!

They tried to do a DCS here and it's terrible.

The flight mechanics of the ships... don't exist. It's like a model just hanging in the air.

I was able to get to space, tried to find the button that would put up the landing gear, apparently there is an eject button or a get out button, and once pressed you basically just have to sit there and watch a 15 seconds long animation of your avatar committing slow suicide because you can't stop it.

So she climbs down the ladder in the upper atmosphere, the ship spirals off on its own adventures... then I have a 7 minute slow fall back to the surface. I wasn't sure if I was going to freeze to death or die of fall damage first.

Regardless though, my incredibly slow fall did kill me, and next thing I know I'm back on the floor of the hotel, 2000 miles away from the space port place and probably 2 hours away from being able to respawn it again.

So... gently caress this. If somebody wants to join up that might be fun but as a game this is poo poo and not fun. The walking simulator part is great, and I can see they sunk literally all of their effort into it as literally everything has a 4K or greater texture map and the level of detail is off the charts for a game level that should just be the short walk to your ship. Bland, and the characters look terrible, but they packed the hell out of the detail here.

I guess let me know how I can play with anybody and I'll give it another shot. :shrug:

I left the atmosphere going backwards and sideways. They have spent very little time on the space part of their space game outside of making it highly detailed graphically.

I also noticed that your clock actions seem to be more along the line of whatever the avatar is closest to rather than what you are actually clicking on. Drawers close to me opened in the wank pod instead of the stuff I was clicking on. This probably helped to contribute to me pressing the get out of the ship button too. You figure that one might pop up an "area you sure?" Message but nah... just get on out of the shop while it's flying hundreds of something's over the ground. That's obviously what I want to do, game.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 24, 2020

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Last King posted:

i was trying to figure this out myself and i had asked earlier. i'm pretty sure this is the goon group in sc but i can't find anyone who's in it or can send invites:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/FLJK/members

let me know if you have any luck.

Thanks, friend, but if you have no luck and nobody is in it- it sounds like a waste of time. :)

I enjoyed walking around carrying a blue water bottle awkwardly and randomly sipping it. I guess this is peak Quantic Dream bullshit.

Best things were reading here that sometimes you need to use a mouse wheel on some screens. Like the hotel floors. I was stuck between 4 levels for a while not sure how to get out.

To fly your poo poo ship, per it on, click the screen to use a com to the station, they will automatically clear you and the doors open.

Then you do some serious flying by hitting space bar to go up then W to go forwards. You can stop and hang in the air, twirl around... whatever. The ship feels like a 3D model viewer when navigating it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I find it hilarious that Star Citizen has effectively turned into a walking simulator.

Also the tutorials are incredible. Like I can't do any combat and it's telling me to press some button to do a silent takedown, or how to change between different equipped weapons.

Yo game maker dumbass, why are you telling me how to start killing people when I can't even do that? What am I supposed to do, take notes for when I need to do this 3 hours later when I can actually use a weapon?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Titanic posted:

If somebody wants to join up that might be fun but as a game this is poo poo and not fun

I can assure you that playing as a group is almost impossibly frustrating as everyone disconnects and reconnects at random and going to pick people up from their spawn points is a multiple-hour adventure, plus now you'll all starve to death and run out of fuel so gently caress that

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Tippis posted:

…doubly so since there is another example: CCP.

I mean, as much as I hate Elon Musk...SpaceX lol. Like literally, they went from an office of 10 people to launching real rockets for roughly the same amount of money and same amount of time, right?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
So I'm talking to myself here, but I think I know exactly what this game is like now... it feels and acts and looks like PlayStation Home except kind of science fiction-y-ish.

https://youtu.be/b9s9PcV9Mh4

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Popete posted:

My final thoughts.

Star Citizen is momentarily impressive in scale but it pretty quickly wears off and you realize there just isn't anything interesting to do. There aren't even NPC ships flying around the universe it's just big and empty. What's the point of having these massive planets when there is only 1 city on it and the rest is empty wasteland? These cities might as well be a text menu cause their doesn't appear to be anything to actually do on them but re-spawn and take long boring train rides to your ship well you walk past countless lifeless NPCs who you cannot interact with in anyway. Somehow these massive cities full of NPCs actually feel more empty than a text menu space station.

That's the double-edged sword of infinite fidelity. If you leave no room for the imagination, what's left is only what is explicitly provided.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I particularly enjoyed the constant tool tips at the bottom of the screen which were entirely devoid of context. To call this game a space simulator is a complete joke, the flight model is non-existent it feels as Titanic said like you're hanging by string. The UI is another absolute disaster, sure it might seem cool to have interactive panels but you can hardly make out what they say and if you had to interact with them in real time during a fight it would be impossible. Trying to decipher what's going on in combat is difficult cause the screen is just a torrent of bright colours and aiming reticles to the point you can't tell if you are taking or dishing out any damage. Combat seems to just abruptly end, you both plink away at each other to seemingly little effect until someones model just randomly explodes.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The Titanic posted:

Then you do some serious flying by hitting space bar to go up then W to go forwards. You can stop and hang in the air, twirl around... whatever. The ship feels like a 3D model viewer when navigating it.

That's why I've been calling this a model-viewing app for years. There are no flight models anywhere in sight, much less the fully-modeled physics engine that would dynamically change ship handling based on damaged thrusters or whatever bullshit. Obviously the flight model is something you just hack in at the very end, and is in no way core to the behavior of a space flight and combat game.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Scruffpuff posted:

That's why I've been calling this a model-viewing app for years. There are no flight models anywhere in sight, much less the fully-modeled physics engine that would dynamically change ship handling based on damaged thrusters or whatever bullshit. Obviously the flight model is something you just hack in at the very end, and is in no way core to the behavior of a space flight and combat game.

But but but... they said that they were going to model the flight around each individual maneuvering thruster! That the gimbaled thrusters would behave different from the fixed ones, and losing a thruster or wing would affect the flight abilities! CIG would never lie to us, right?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kosumo posted:

Go to Jail!

All the goons will be in jail.

Goon jail password in the showers is "oh poo poo, I've drop my soap"

Citizen jail password in the showers is "Oh no Chris, I seemed to have dropped my soap again, opps $175"

I thought the password was "Do you have stairs in your Idris?"

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Invictus Trip Report: BE INSPIRED!

The ships rotated a few hours ago and I wanted to try the Carrack because I had a suspicion that it would actually be a great solo combat mission ship (I was right, more on that later). I "Rented" one for free at the expo, which took ~20 minutes of trains and elevators, then trained over to the spaceport to spawn and fly it away. I decided that rather than go into combat right away I'd test out some of this persistence I'd heard about and use the truly enormous cargo capacity to do some trading. I flew up to the big fleet week space station and bought a load of scrap for basically all of my money- no risk there, right? Then set my waypoint to Port Olisar and hit launch!

The game crashed.

Well, poo poo. Normally this means that you've just lost your entire cargo, your ship, and whatever mission you were doing. Usually I'd just quit right there but I decided to log back in and- would you look at that! My ship and my cargo were still intact, and I didn't respawn on the wank pod!

So I set myself to quantum travel to Port Olisar again, a process which almost always takes two full rounds of clicking B, mousing over the destination, letting the interminably long spool-up time happen, and then holding down B to engage. Completely intuitive, right? And then almost 100% of the time it doesn't loving work the first time around and you have to do it over again. So that's super cool. Anyway I did it twice and hyperdrive spooled up and I exited to the exterior view to watch the ship jump, and the game crashed again.

I will not belabor the point- this kept happening for the next two hours. I'd jump, get to the next place, and the game would crash. I'd log back in and my "Progress" would still be intact so I'd keep going. I crashed at Port Olisar where I was able to sell the scrap and buy a load of uh, agricultural supplies? And then I crashed at Cellin where I landed to offload those supplies and buy a load of food. And then I crashed on the other side of Cellin where I landed to sell the food. One thing I'll say in "Praise" of the game here- for once, I was able to sell and buy loads of supplies without having to do it one fraction at a time. I don't know if they actually fixed that or if nobody bothers to trade anymore so the invisible demand of the stations was high enough to take my cargo, but gently caress it whatever- it was nice to hit a button and have something work. Except the crashing.

But this crash was special. When I spawned back in, I was in my ship- but it was underneath the world. Uh-oh. I pointed skywards and blasted off, trying to get past the clipping plane before the rocks and station loaded in. No dice. I made it back into the air but the rear end of my ship was now red from the damage and there was no way I could afford to repair it. Nevertheless I persevered, landing next to the trade station and hopping out, which was when I made my second terrible discovery. All of my cargo had truly disappeared this time, leaving me (once again) completely penniless and with no way to trade any further to make money. I wasn't really bummed about this- in an hour or so of trading I had completed maybe 3 transactions and taken my initial 30k all the way to.... 44k. Keep in mind it takes millions to buy ships in this game. There was simply no way that was ever going to happen anyway.

So I decided to go do the "Claimjumpers" mission that requires a big ship like a Carrack or a Hammerhead to do. See the thing about combat in Star Citizen is that it is a sucker's game- they want you to come in with a lovely fighter and get wrecked on this mission with like 6 enemy ships and 9 stationary turrets shooting you. Then they sell you the big ship which has shields that, I'm not loving kidding, are completely impenetrable to 6 enemy ships and 9 turrets simultaneously. And the thing about the Carrack is that it has a gigantic remote turret on top, I think like S5, and the turret gunner's station is right behind the pilot's seat. So you can jump from the standing pilot's seat and right into the turret. It's still terribly stupid and leaves you totally stationary. In any other game it would be suicide or laughably overpowered. But the reward for this mission is 10k which is nothing, and the enemies just fly a basic orbit around you anyway and they can't kill you ever so who loving cares? Hop out of the gunner's seat, hop in the turret, plink them to death. I do this, only to realize the actual mission requirement is that I kill the 9 stationary turrets. This isn't any more challenging- fly the ship up, get out of the pilot's seat and into the gunner seat, shoot 3 turrets, fly on.

I get to 6/9 and the game crashes again.

I log back in- still in the ship, still in the same area of space- but the contract has evaporated and all of the NPC's have despawned. I go log off in the commander's bed.

Total time played: ~2 hours of trading and fighting
Total in-game currency earned: negative 30,000 alpha-UEC
Total fun experienced: zero

Final thoughts: If it weren't for the incessant crashing this would almost have been a normal evening of space trucking. Due to length I'm neglecting a lot of bugs here. I saw them all- NPC's on chairs, constant low-rez textures, pop in all over the place, UI glitches and message spam, all the normal poo poo. But that's just background noise at this point. Fundamentally, they almost delivered a working experience here. Not a "Fun" or "Good in any way" experience, but one where I was almost able to go from Point A to Point B without everything loving exploding. I want to make it really clear- I was not able to actually get there, even after constantly walking the narrow tightrope that you have to walk to avoid crashing fatally- no sudden movements, no camera changes, no unnecessary game inputs ever. But I got closer. In some stupid, extremely sad way, that is the most progress I've seen from Star Citizen in three or four years. The problem is that even if it were to have worked perfectly it would have been the world's most boring trading sim, even worse than Elite Dangerous, because there's just these huge 10+ minute travel times between every stop where all your controls are locked and you aren't allowed to do anything but watch your hunger and thirst meters tick down. And don't think for a loving second that ol' Chris is going to let you drink or eat any of the static food props he's sprinkled all over the ships to give them "Character," no sir. You'll pay that loving black sweater wearing goblin for every precious second you spend in his garbage empire and you'll like it. But I don't like it, Goblin King Chris. I don't like it at all.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
It really seemed to me like the combination of all the detail and the utterly confusing usability of everything and almost complete lack of useful information make everything a chore to figure out and not at all fun. I like learning how to do things in games that I don't understand how to do when I start out, even if it's complex and byzantine, but that kind of thing works because you are able to evaluate your growth. The couple of times I was in the cockpit of the ship it was not at all intuitive and there was pretty much no feedback about what anything did or whether it was on or off or working or not working. There is also a lot of detailed poo poo everywhere that you are just wondering whether it's actually a thing or not. The only way to figure it out for the most part is to use the awkward interaction menu and as has been pointed out, half the time you are hovering over something you are actually selecting something else.

On top of that, the actual feedback from the game about how you're flying didn't seem to be very helpful. I didn't get much sense from what I was seeing what exactly was going on with the ship. I shot the guns a bunch, but I could not tell you if they have ammo or overheat or something. Maybe they just shoot forever. I'm pretty sure that I turned my shields off and on at one point but I don't remember ever seeing anything that would indicate shield damage while I was banging into everything in the hangar, certainly not anything that told me the hull was damaged or how much. When my ship did explode it was pretty much instantly with no warning, though I was submersed in the level geometry at that point so perhaps that was beyond the capabilities of the ships computer to analyze what was happening. I know I'm a poo poo Star Citizen pilot, but I also have no idea how to get better or if there is any point in doing so and answering these questions sounds like it would take a lot of personal work with little to no reward.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

trucutru posted:

Meanwhile...

I'm waiting for some games industry news site to pick up on this and start pulling the thread. Possibly leading to semi-mainstream coverage. A massive economic downturn that's going to get worse before it gets better, an abysmal free fly weekend plagued with constant technical problems, and somehow the money keeps pouring in? Either the tracker is complete bullshit and CI-G is too stupid to understand they should be dialing it back, or it is at least somewhat accurate and something INCREDIBLY fishy is going on.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

PSA: What is a concept ship, and what to expect? posted:

So Concepts. Concepts are a way to introduce a ship, and for CIG to gauge appetite for a ship/roll/mechanic. They also provide a lot of funding to CIG, and they reward us with a lower price/meaningless LTI (Yes I said meaningless because it is. it's trivial). We also get a ship CIG may or may not make limited quantity. Who knows. that's what we get and that's what CIG gets... However, people enjoy theory-crafting to NO END regarding concepts, they get their emotions wrapped up with them, and generate a TON of salt when things change with no thoguht to the people who may have liked those changes or the ship met or exceeded other's expectations.

So I'm breaking down the concept sales and what to expect from what.

The Brochure:

This is LORE, this is also First-Pass lore. It's Role playing from a NPC Company's Marketing division (which doesn't really exist). The LORE doesn't promise anything, and it doesn't speak to guaranteed anything.

I recently did a PSA regarding the Origin Rovers and how anything and all things in the brochure are NOT fact, they are NOT promises, and they DO NOT speak to capability. I will copy paste some of it here for reference:

Things to keep in mind.... The brochure is worded as a lore-marketing piece. A) Crafted to be the ultimate hybrid of performance and passion, the Origin G12 is a different class of overland rover. : This does not mean it will beat the other rovers, it doesn't mean it is stronger than the Tumbril, it doesn't mean it's better than the Ursa... It doesn't.
B) Control any battlefield with a comprehensive offensive/defensive package consisting of an eight-count missile rack and countermeasures : This doesn't mean you got some UBER missile system capable of destroying everything.
C) Dominate savage terrain and intense skirmishes with an enhanced and hardened wheel system that gives you a killer edge in battle. : This doesn't mean the wheels are better than anti-grav, doesn't mean they won't have issues, and doesn't mean they give you a literal killer edge
D) The G12r’s heavily fortified frame assures you stay protected when things get hairy, even in the most adverse conditions: This vehicle is NOT a tank, don't take this literally..... The combat variant is just heavier than the non combat variant (Maybe..)
E) Legendary sport-inspired design, featherweight frame, and minimal armor minimize friction and maximize intensity. : This just means less armour. It doesn't mean it's super awesome and will trounce every other land vehicle in a race.
F) Shut down the competition and avoid risky conditions, courtesy of a fully-integrated onboard EMP unit. : This doesn't speak to power, range or what it's for. So don't expect to EMP a tank or ship... They are figuring it out, don't make assumptions.
If you don't like the stats, if you don't like the 2 seats... if you don't like it. DON'T BUY IT. You don't have to, so if you don't like CIG's design choices.... Don't get it.. if you want a rover get an URSA or a tumbril or a cyclone... Or don't spend any money and go out for sushi, or pay down a credit card... or buy a can of soup...

Ship Stat Page and subsequent Q&A from CIG:

When CIG says Everything can change. They mean EVERYTHING CAN CHANGE. That's not misleading. Concepts are not promises, other than you'll get a ship which WILL change.

These changes include but are not limited to:

A) General surface Aesthetics
B) Overall shape and texture of the hull to accommodate everything, which hasn't been developed or tested at concept stage.
C) Number and type of hard-points
D) Size of hard-points
E) scope of the ships role. A medical ship someone believes can make it's own medical equipment can be deemed by CIG to need to get the medical equipment from another source, and the ship cannot make it.
- This is also true of repair. CIG can make it so the crucible cannot make component parts but must stock up on them (expect this) from NPC sources, and is a ship for installing and modifying parts during a repair process... For example. You buy generic armour plating and have to customize it for the ship it's going on

F) The Range of a ship can change
G) The Cargo can change
H) The over-all size of the ship can change
I) They can even strip out certain 'roles' as a game mechanic takes shape and requires more than just whatever one ship was.

CIG doesn't promise a ship will do everything the concept drawing says it may, just probably some of it.

Failure to see this is on the person who deliberately, and with gross negligence, decided to read and hear what they Wanted, and then extrapolate what they will be getting in their own minds... then to take it here and say CIG broke some promise? So CIG has to deliver on Millions of people's individual and completely different and often Mutually exclusive imaginings? If I see a ship as doing roll a certain way and you see it a different way... There is no world where my view or yours constitutes a promise. Even if 10,000 people have one view and 2,000 have another and 3000 have yet a different view of the same thing, and ONE guy has a completely out there idea... They are not 15,001 promises CIG has to keep.

Timeline:

CIG decides the timeline, YOU DO NOT. If a concept isn't prioritized for a long time, you accept that risk. You accept the ship may come MUCH later than others, that other concepts will come out first, and delays or push-backs can happen or a ship can even be fully scrapped and revisited later.

What does it mean?:

When you pledge for a concept ship YOU are CHOOSING to go along for the roller coaster ride of that ship's development. You are ACCEPTING the ship WILL change, You also are accepting those changes post Feedback CIG asks for.

If you don't like that kind of variable, then WAIT for when the ship is more or less finished... If you don't like waiting, and don't like the process of a concept being developed... then DON'T spend $

The small print, TOS, Pop-ups, Statements from CIG, Every video ever made about any ship, every single statement from CIG has always ALWAYS been like this.

It is your choice to ignore it, your choice to get emotionally attached to your theory-crafting and your choice to get butt-hurt. No one needs to care if you fail to understand the basic concept of CONCEPTS

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Also RE: the food meters

So I went and bought food but it consumed it immediately. I could not find a way to "Store" food for later, or in any way hold onto it. This meant that I had to visit the hotdog man every hour and a half or so, or risk instant death. None of the food on the ships was consumable and there was no way to pack the food into the ship's pantry or extremely fidelitously modeled fridge. This is a game where you can very easily take an accidental space flight so long that you will die of starvation, 20 minutes away from the nearest hotdog man. This is a thing that Chris has created.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1263915527065366528
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1263916194270031872

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sarsapariller posted:

Also RE: the food meters

So I went and bought food but it consumed it immediately. I could not find a way to "Store" food for later, or in any way hold onto it. This meant that I had to visit the hotdog man every hour and a half or so, or risk instant death. None of the food on the ships was consumable and there was no way to pack the food into the ship's pantry or extremely fidelitously modeled fridge. This is a game where you can very easily take an accidental space flight so long that you will die of starvation, 20 minutes away from the nearest hotdog man. This is a thing that Chris has created.

Hotdog Man is love, Hotdog Man is life.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Isn't the backpack a thing they physically sold and that was the only way to get it?

lol gently caress this game

E: Also I like that the food/drink locations for the starting spawn are "The clothing store and the gun store." Of course! loving obvious!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Titanic posted:

So I'm talking to myself here, but I think I know exactly what this game is like now... it feels and acts and looks like PlayStation Home except kind of science fiction-y-ish.

Yeah that's a good comparison. Just a weird inhuman void

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I'm waiting for some games industry news site to pick up on this and start pulling the thread. Possibly leading to semi-mainstream coverage. A massive economic downturn that's going to get worse before it gets better, an abysmal free fly weekend plagued with constant technical problems, and somehow the money keeps pouring in? Either the tracker is complete bullshit and CI-G is too stupid to understand they should be dialing it back, or it is at least somewhat accurate and something INCREDIBLY fishy is going on.

Look at this picture.

Look at it. Look at the people in this picture. Take it all in.

This is where the money is coming from. This is why the tracker is up during a pandemic.

You know how people who monitor social media for offensive content need counseling for the psychological trauma they suffer witnessing the absolute worst of humanity?

These people are why.

These people are Star Citizen.

They are legion, and they haven't even come close to running out of the money needed to keep this crime going.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 24, 2020

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I guess these people think they are helping, but if i was totally unaware of anything about SC, but heard it was worth looking into, then saw a post like that, i'd think "gently caress this poo poo, i'm not touching that if that is the situation"

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
'Do not engage.'
Well, sure, I wouldn't engage even if I had a wooden stick to poke him from a safe distance.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Scruffpuff posted:

Look at this picture.

Look at it. Look at the people in this picture. Take it all in.

This is where the money is coming from. This is why the tracker is up during a pandemic.

You know how people who monitor social media for offensive content need counseling for the psychological trauma they suffer witnessing the absolute worst of humanity?

These people are why.

These people are Star Citizen.

They are legion, and they haven't even come close to running out of the money needed to keep this crime going.

Though the bunny man is still my favorite. It's like an AdzAdama picture, there's so much to unpack. Like how he's about to get his crossbow caught in the stair railing when he takes his next step...

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

UnknownTarget posted:

I mean, as much as I hate Elon Musk...SpaceX lol. Like literally, they went from an office of 10 people to launching real rockets for roughly the same amount of money and same amount of time, right?

I don't know how many they were at the beginning (but that hardly matters — all companies pretty much begin with 10 people in an office), but let's check the dates:
• 2002 — Founded by 2+ guys.
• 2005 — Reaches 160 employees.
• 2008 — First flight to orbit.
• 2010 — First launch, orbit, and recovery; reaches 1,100 employees.
• 2011 — Awarded contract to start doing things to involving human passengers.
• 2012 — First delivery to ISS <- that would be a good case for “fully armed and operational”, in year 10. CI¬G is now hobbling along in year 9.
• 2013 — Reaches 3,800 employees.
• 2015 — First launch, orbit, and reusable recovery through propulsive landing; 5,000 employees.
• 2017 — 7,000 employees.
• 2019 — Completion milestone for experimenting on with humans.
• 2020 — Largest commercial satellite constellation operator in the world; (planned) first human experiment…

I wonder if CI¬G will be able to claim any kind of positive “largest” label by year 18. “Scam”, “lawsuit”, and “mistake everyone knew about all along” don't really qualify.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 24, 2020

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Titanic posted:

Lots of commentary in the video and the comments striking real close to Star Citizen.

My favourite: Spent over 500$ on this game, not even mad at my choice i had so much fun playing it, well worth the money, i miss it ;-;

CountDrac
Jan 19, 2006

this guy was way ahead of his time.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

UnknownTarget posted:

Uh, I think they spent 285 million before they even built anything. Spaceflight is expensive.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Torquemada posted:

Uh, I think they spent 285 million before they even built anything. Spaceflight is expensive.
Falcon 1 program cost 90 million and first commercial launch was on that vehicle, some launches were also paid by defense.

But yeah, it's expensive, but spacex made it cheaper and made innovations in reusability.

Somehow CI went in completely opposite direction, wasting millions to reinvent the wheel and deliver only overpriced spaceship jpgs.

Edit: in fact, CI is much closer to Roscosmos, always promising some new exciting stuff that only ever exists as CGI, while struggling with delays, corruption and reusing tech from 60s.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 24, 2020

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Sure are a lot of new posts here. This video game better have gotten shittier or I'll be really upset

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Solarin posted:

Sure are a lot of new posts here. This video game better have gotten shittier or I'll be really upset

there have been a bunch of people making genuine good faith efforts to engage with the fun and interesting gameplay of star citizen which is similar to making a genuine attempt to eat a cloud

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This is perfection :allears:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

sebmojo posted:

there have been a bunch of people making genuine good faith efforts to engage with the fun and interesting gameplay of star citizen which is similar to making a genuine attempt to eat a cloud
It's just goon ruse to DDOS servers

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Asmodai_00 posted:

just started COD:IW and I am not joking, it opens up with a "Fleet Week" that the main characters mock for being pointless

this owns

I don't like the ending, but it's an otherwise great game :)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

My final thoughts.

Star Citizen is momentarily impressive in scale but it pretty quickly wears off and you realize there just isn't anything interesting to do. There aren't even NPC ships flying around the universe it's just big and empty. What's the point of having these massive planets when there is only 1 city on it and the rest is empty wasteland? These cities might as well be a text menu cause their doesn't appear to be anything to actually do on them but re-spawn and take long boring train rides to your ship well you walk past countless lifeless NPCs who you cannot interact with in anyway. Somehow these massive cities full of NPCs actually feel more empty than a text menu space station.

Yeah, but each one of those NPCs has a rich life that is simulated, with them commuting to their jobs, t-posing and otherwise being highly fidelitous.

Scruffpuff posted:

Turns out aerospace modeling is hard when you’re attempting to bridge two flight regimes after selling poo poo that looks cool.

Amusingly this is what the ‘skyjacker’ guys attempted to pull in their kickstarters; assets in a viewer, gib money plz. Funnily, when I called them out, they did the smug ‘you don’t understand game development’ after pointing out that the ‘GTA in space’ concept was biting off a little too much.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Third option: sunk cost fallacy and backers are dumb :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

Where is my Star Trek: Star Fleet Command/Star Fleet Battles/Klingon Academy game where you captain, not pilot, a warship in a massive intergalactic campaign? Man, those games were awesome, and were among my very first gaming obsessions back when a was a wee lad. The manuals were manuals, and thick as small novels. And you better have poured through that manual if you wanted to do well. Managing your tractor beams, shuttle scatterpacks, shuttle decoys, power management, shield management, transporter boarding parties, mine placement, ECM and ECCM, probe launches, managing phasers, missiles, photon torpedoes, a half dozen types of plasma torpedoes, disruptors, hellbores, and a dozen more exotic weapons besides, cloaking, emergency maneuvers, managing other ships in your squadron, fighting giant space monsters, resource management to supply your ship, tactical use of asteroids, planets, nebulas, black holes, capturing/defending/destroying starbases, ships, convoys, ect ect ect. Man, they don't make games like that anymore! I get nostalgic for it about once a year.

Star Fleet Command I-III are based on the Amarillo design bureau’s ‘Star Fleet Battles’ board game, which is in turn a successor for ‘Harpoon’ rules. The books are dense, indexed and cross-referenced rules for all the TOS races, and a few theoreticals. So Federation, Klingon, Andromedan, Hydran, Tholian, Lyran, Kzinti, Lyran Democratic Republic, WYN.

It’s a paper-based nightmare when you’re handling more than a couple of ships, but the complexity leads to tactics that are emergent and play distinctly; Romulans have the cloak, and plasma weapons, which act like a drone that loses power as it moves, leading to ‘submarine’ gameplay. You can counter them by using Transporter bombs, but you have to drop a shield facing. Even using hex positioning becomes important to mitigate damage, so you have a range of emergency maneuvers, like high energy turns, e-stops and other options have that have the risk of causing tumbles.

Super-detailed, too. Shuttles can be launched in a bunch of configurations, from straight up armed, to wild weasel - electronic warfare against drones - scatterpack, which turns them into a MIRV. Paramount never really explored fighters, but ADB went the full hog, with detailed carrier ops, then expanding out into fast patrol boats.

The one thing I really loved was the captain’s rulebook. It was literally the collected writings of people who played it for years, codifying the transporter flash bomb for exposing cloaked ships. Explaining the difference between Alpha and Miziar strikes - Alphas for knocking down shields, miziar’s for dropping internal systems.

Starfleet Command III was the weakest of the three games, though. They dropped the shields to 4, from 6, and that changes a bunch of balance around changing shield facings.

I tend to fire up SFC II every year or so. I have a love for the D7D for the sheer amount of drone spam it can output.