Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You're saying both that you don't want people to lie, or that you don't think people can lie during an interview, and that you disqualify people for entirely innocuous things. Was the question like about what he thought would be required of him at work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
The only thing the interview is filtering for is their ability to successfully lie to you. Garbage in, garbage out

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Unstructured interviews work better. More leeway for a candidate to slip . I interviewed a guy a a few months ago who let out "like any other humans I just wanna chill on the couch and eat doritos".

To which I didn't hire him. But I'm not a fascist when it comes to interviews. I'll talk to people like normal folk and feel them out in conversation. HIGHLY STRUCTURED interviews result in a guy lying more often than not.

I hope you are omitting a lot of context in this anecdote because this seems insane and sorta fascist.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

space marine todd posted:

I hope you are omitting a lot of context in this anecdote because this seems insane and sorta fascist.

Some, there were other things that made me very weary of dude. But the main point is a more casual interview gets me better picks than my early interviews of being super rigid would. I don't need to berate them with cult like "Look this company is your life tell me how much you love this company and grant me a vision of your ecstacy"

We're a cannabis compant. So I get a lot of dudes that are noooot kosher in terms of work ethic. You can be a lazy slob all you want. But at a job you have to have a personality that can be portrayed as worthy of responsability. otherwise you'll be working retail for a long time. I give bonuses, healthcare vision dental.bonuses are based on productivity and 1 person dragging rear end while the rest of the team pushes forward doesn't effect me directly. But the mob mentality will weed out these folks. And guess what we both lose. The employee and the employer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The only thing I see wrong with the Doritos thing is that it’s an opportunity to take the interview to a more interesting subject and they didn’t take it.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Without more info on the Doritos job, from the interviews I've been involved with a "Doritos" answer is probably a poor answer to the kinds of questions you'd get asked during an interview. It might be ok as part of an answer about how you spend your free time or something (I guess, I've never seen this question asked) but if you respond to "why do you want this job" with "to get paid so I can veg out" then you probably should either be super qualified or applying for a low-skill job.

Structure doesn't seem to be a problem with people letting the mask slip, though. Our interviews seem structured and it's never a problem scraping away at least the bottom third or so because some people can't go 10 minutes without entering into what the gently caress territory.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Platystemon posted:

The only thing I see wrong with the Doritos thing is that it’s an opportunity to take the interview to a more interesting subject and they didn’t take it.

Well, that's huge. My best resume/interview advice is to write your resume to set up opportunities about how (plausibly) awesome you were when you did $THING. Telling good stories in interviews is crucial on getting the jobs you want. Story time gives you control of the discussion and offers a chance to make yourself look good while giving the interviewer(s) a picture of what you're like as an employee/teammate.

e.

Zachack posted:

....but if you respond to "why do you want this job" with "to get paid so I can veg out" then you probably should either be super qualified or applying for a low-skill job.

Or obviously joking. If you've built the kind of camaraderie with the interviewer that you can tell that kind of joke, then go ahead, it'll land. And if it doesn't, either way both parties have learned something about the potential culture fit.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 24, 2020

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Some, there were other things that made me very weary of dude. But the main point is a more casual interview gets me better picks than my early interviews of being super rigid would. I don't need to berate them with cult like "Look this company is your life tell me how much you love this company and grant me a vision of your ecstacy"

We're a cannabis compant. So I get a lot of dudes that are noooot kosher in terms of work ethic. You can be a lazy slob all you want. But at a job you have to have a personality that can be portrayed as worthy of responsability. otherwise you'll be working retail for a long time. I give bonuses, healthcare vision dental.bonuses are based on productivity and 1 person dragging rear end while the rest of the team pushes forward doesn't effect me directly. But the mob mentality will weed out these folks. And guess what we both lose. The employee and the employer.

Your job hardly pays better than retail, you don't get to place yourself above retail. You're just an rear end in a top hat.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Freakazoid_ posted:

Your job hardly pays better than retail, you don't get to place yourself above retail. You're just an rear end in a top hat.

Haha nice assumption.assuming you googled some lovely dispensary act wage and see a 13.00 figure. The average worker in this company makes 23 an hour. So that's 3x fed min and 2.2x cal min. That's before bonuses which are usually 2,000 bi yearly. So true wage is closer to 25. You call me an rear end in a top hat for wanting decent employees for a job that depends on individual productivity to survive.

Here's the thing. I could hire bad employees who suck and guess what? I'd have to higher more people at lower wages to do the same work I do now and I'd have to be a bigger dick because I'd have to hawk around at all times to ensure the shitties are performing at any decent level.

Let me tell you what. If I gave IQ tests to people before hiring then I would be an assole to you. Then again anyone fortunate enough to own a business is an rear end in a top hat to the guy who got denied the opportunity to work at Hobby Lobby for putting jerking off as a hobby.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Did 25k become a lot when I wasn't looking? I live in Eastern Europe, work for a local company and make 50k (no col adjustment).

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Haha nice assumption.assuming you googled some lovely dispensary act wage and see a 13.00 figure. The average worker in this company makes 23 an hour. So that's 3x fed min and 2.2x cal min. That's before bonuses which are usually 2,000 bi yearly. So true wage is closer to 25. You call me an rear end in a top hat for wanting decent employees for a job that depends on individual productivity to survive.

Here's the thing. I could hire bad employees who suck and guess what? I'd have to higher more people at lower wages to do the same work I do now and I'd have to be a bigger dick because I'd have to hawk around at all times to ensure the shitties are performing at any decent level.

Let me tell you what. If I gave IQ tests to people before hiring then I would be an assole to you. Then again anyone fortunate enough to own a business is an rear end in a top hat to the guy who got denied the opportunity to work at Hobby Lobby for putting jerking off as a hobby.

"The average worker" :rolleyes:

You can take some of the moral high ground the moment your lowest paid worker makes 23 an hour and no sooner.

You've already shamed yourself when you allowed eating doritos to be a mark against them. Do you also discriminate based on having a southern accent or the kind of car they drive?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Unoriginal Name posted:

The only thing the interview is filtering for is their ability to successfully lie to you. Garbage in, garbage out

Interviews are mostly useless to begin with. But one of the few things they test is if you can meet expectations for thirty minutes. If you can’t, that’s a really bad sign. If you can, that doesn’t tell you much but you likely aren’t getting much out of the interview besides a chance to get those big red flags.

Like look, some places think they do a really bang-up job interviewing and can find the best candidate of the bunch. I don’t: I’ve interviewed like 20 people and I could not tell you of the top 18 who was the best. I think that mostly you get “how much do I like this person” which is usually “how much like me is this person” if you try. (It doesn’t help that I am doing entry level interviews in an industry that’s very hard to evaluate candidates in).

But the two people who I thought were actually bad, that I have some confidence in. It says little that you managed to get through 30 minutes without disqualifying yourself. It says a lot that you didn’t.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 24, 2020

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Considering all of this is based on your perception, very well might say nothing at all - but you're never going to find out.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible Opinions posted:

I'm genuinely confused as to why "like any other humans I just wanna chill on the couch and eat doritos" is a red flag for any of that.

Like 100% of people lie in interviews because they claim to want to work somewhere for literally any reason besides "I think this will be more pay for less stress than my present employment status".

an interview is mostly just a social test to see if someone can behave like a professional. "i want to eat doritos" shows candor and honesty but it can be construed as a failure of the social test for being too honest, or kind of a blunt answer during the brief time in which your behavior and speech is being heavily scrutinized

it's a bit like looking at your watch and asking "so when do we gently caress?" on a first date. like yeah, we all know why we are here, but there's rituals and stuff that need to get satisfied first

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Have you tried being the CEO's nephew?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

I'm dumb can you explain a little bit more what you mean

No, I’m good. Thanks.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

evilweasel posted:

Like look, some places think they do a really bang-up job interviewing and can find the best candidate of the bunch. I don’t: I’ve interviewed like 20 people and I could not tell you of the top 18 who was the best. I think that mostly you get “how much do I like this person” which is usually “how much like me is this person” if you try. (It doesn’t help that I am doing entry level interviews in an industry that’s very hard to evaluate candidates in).

But the two people who I thought were actually bad, that I have some confidence in. It says little that you managed to get through 30 minutes without disqualifying yourself. It says a lot that you didn’t.

I'm on board with this. I've interviewed a lot of people and it's amazing how many flame out, display weirdness or otherwise sabotage themselves in the process. I had one that started out-right bragging in the interview, making out we were lucky to be getting them, and another that got into an aggressive argument with the HR rep. So it's at least useful for spotting the fuckups.

But on the other side, did I pick the best people? That I don't know and probably won't ever.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The drug distribution business sure has a lot of weird recruitment practices!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Freakazoid_ posted:

"The average worker" :rolleyes:

You can take some of the moral high ground the moment your lowest paid worker makes 23 an hour and no sooner.

You've already shamed yourself when you allowed eating doritos to be a mark against them. Do you also discriminate based on having a southern accent or the kind of car they drive?

Sorry when i say "Average" I mean the lowest.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think it was a good question because you helped that guy dodge the bullet of working for you.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Motronic posted:

Okay, at this point I don't even know if you know what you've been responding to.

You claimed that $80/mo for gigabit fiber is some enviable deal compared to SF which is just laughably wrong for like half the city and surrounding areas.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Xarn posted:

Did 25k become a lot when I wasn't looking? I live in Eastern Europe, work for a local company and make 50k (no col adjustment).
They were saying 25 an hour, so around 50k a year

Also, 50k a year is a lot of money in Eastern Europe, it's nowhere close to a typical salary.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The drug distribution business sure has a lot of weird recruitment practices!

I regret not making the career choice to smuggle epipens and assorted generics into the States. :canada:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Sorry when i say "Average" I mean the lowest.

Somewhere, a statistician has started screaming and doesn't know why. :lol:

Trevor Hale posted:

No, I’m good. Thanks.

What useful posts, then. TY for your incredible insight.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Cicero posted:

They were saying 25 an hour, so around 50k a year

Also, 50k a year is a lot of money in Eastern Europe, it's nowhere close to a typical salary.

Yeah, the numbers didn't quite add up, but maybe it is one of those "benefits for fulltime employees, oh and noone is fulltime" dealios. :v:

(It is just under 2.5x median)

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Ah, your reaction makes more sense considering it's a cannabis company.

What counts as rigid questions vs casual questions?

The questions I usually get asked are something like "You are the VP of other bets and one of your teams have figured out how to teleport small objects. What products or services would you build with this new technology?". Having been both a candidate and a hiring manager, I like blue sky hypothetical questions because there isn't really any place where you can lie or bullshit.

On the other end of the spectrum, I hated Amazon's interviews. It was all unstructured behavioral questions and it felt like I was bullshitting every answer even if I wasn't.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Xarn posted:

Yeah, the numbers didn't quite add up, but maybe it is one of those "benefits for fulltime employees, oh and noone is fulltime" dealios. :v:

(It is just under 2.5x median)

Lowest person makes 23.00 an Hr + "$2.00" an hr in bonus given bi-yearly. I don't count benefits into my employee salary as that's really a scam "OH we pay $19.00 an HR - $5.00 in required uniforms and poo poo health benefits. " Everyone works 40hrs+ avg and received OT for doing so. This is in California so min wage is either 11 or 12.

--

In terms of rigid questions, I mean asking someone what they think of the companies mission statement is pretty rigid to me because it expects you read the loving thing on their website. but asking "What do you think is the most important thing to our clients" could also be just as rigid, however I want an honest answer. This isn't Mcdonalds, people really come to work here because they want to work with what they love (weed), so for them to give me a good answer to that question is important, as it shows whether or not they are objective about cannabis and not just a "duhhh smoking trees is the eaze" id prefer a "Well I would enjoy a product with a verifiable potency and good flavor so we should strive for that!"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 25, 2020

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No, that's not what I was arguing. I live in Troy, NY and internet here is fine for WFH, for my company's purposes. But I've had outages, and I'm not sure that if I were working for a media-heavy company on the other side of the country my throughput and latency would have been sufficient. And this is a relatively reasonable scenario. Lack of broadband coverage is a serious issue in this country.

Edit: and I'm talking about the non-hardware stuff, of course. Someone has to look after the physical infrastructure and do physical testing of products, when those are part of your tech.

Totally on the same page regarding broadband coverage being poor in the US; my point is more that SF is not some shining exception to that. As I said, I've heard it's been getting a lot better, but the idea that one of the reasons moving out of SF to a cheaper locale is that it would be hard to find good enough internet is off base, to me: yes much of the country doesn't have good internet. But there's certainly plenty of it that does and is not as expensive as SF, because it's just not the case that there's exceptionally good internet access there, compared to other reasonably developed areas.

To wit:

Papercut posted:

I have Sonic at two different locations in completely different parts of SF, and have multiple friends all over the city with it. It's not some fake map. And yes it comes out to $50/mo after fees but it's still nowhere close to $80.

And the rest of the city has your standard $60/mo 20 megabit Comcast service, it's not some high speed internet desert.

20 megabits was at best medicore a decade ago. Gigabit fiber did become available in my part of the east bay while I was still living there, in 2017 or so. At the time, most of my coworkers who lived in SF proper had nothing remotely as fast available. I now live in a town of ~15,000 or so, and have gigabit cable. Anecdotally, since work from home began for the whole company, folks in our city offices (Denver, SF) have had more home internet outages and problems than any of our actually remote employees. My point here is not to debate exactly how good or bad the bay area's internet access is, just that you don't have to live in a major, expensive, metropolitan area to have internet good enough to work remotely. Do you have to be aware of what internet access is like in an area before you move there? Sure, good enough is not a given.

Konstantin posted:

Keep in mind that giving permission consists of simply signing a form, and it is very easy to say "you need to sign this form to move forward in the application process." Virtually every job has a huge list of conditions of employment that are not open to negotiation, and adding something to that isn't hard.

Totally aware of this, and as I said, it depends on the leverage the candidate has in their negotiating position. There's a reason that most software companies (in my experience) don't require you to provide this information, even though I'm sure they'd love to have it (besides it being illegal in CA as mentioned). Folks like software engineers working at Facebook have the leverage to refuse. And I absolutely would, and have refused to provide that information when asked every time in the past. Never once has the employer ended the process at that point. Could that change in the future? Sure.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I live in La Costa CA, abet in a duplex rental, but surrounded by multi-million-dollar homes.

I have two choices for Broadband: ATT at about 16mbps actual, but somewhat reliable. That's what I use.

Sputum (Spectrum) cable, maybe 50mbps on occasion, but unreliable poo poo.

There is no fixed wireless that will work here. Hell, I have a micro cell-tower for the phones in my place.

The best story was when we were on Spectrum when it was Time Waster (Warner) and the network would go out repeatedly. At the time a fellow game industry person (EA) knew the CTO, got me in touch with him. He sent two trucks of techs to check it out ... they did and the entire sub-net for the area went out. At that point they basically gave up.

Also, next door was a house full of gamers (ironic) and when they were on the bandwidth would just go away. So we did the AT&T switch.

My son in Seattle pays the same amount for >1gbps service.

gently caress.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
War crimes is in here proving that just about every business owner is a piece of poo poo. Nice.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

NaanViolence posted:

War crimes is in here proving that just about every business owner is a piece of poo poo. Nice.

Absolutely. It brings me glee knowing that I've gone up so many rungs in class based society that my written word bears no resemblance to the dirt poor immigrant family upbringing I had to overcome to get here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
Comparing what you pay to minimum wage would be like comparing your product to oregano. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't say "our product is better than oregano", so "better than minimum wage" isn't a great look. Maybe you pay well compared to local salaries and thus people can afford housing and saving for the future. That isn't clear from comparison to minimum wage.

That said, posting this specific example of an interview is exactly why when anyone interviews they want stories of situations and what you did. Maybe you asked "What was the last thing you did when you smoked 'Strawberry Cough'" or "Would you server 'Maui Waui' or 'Purple Urkle' at a bachelor party " and they replied "eat doritos on the couch" I guess that would make a poor weed sommelier.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Rolling down the street smoking oregano

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Rolling down the street smoking oregano

Sippin' on ginger ale

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/nippon_ja/status/1264851152836988928

So who wants to join me in starting a company to create an AI deep-fake tool that generates a video of its users that can pass an AI screener?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Doggles posted:

https://twitter.com/nippon_ja/status/1264851152836988928

So who wants to join me in starting a company to create an AI deep-fake tool that generates a video of its users that can pass an AI screener?

I wrote an AI and built it a guillotine-bot housing to judge, jury, and executioner these tech bros.

Actually they human screen all the rejected ones so maybe okay but Huge bias flag warnings. If reviewers know they are reviewing only rejects then they will rationalize them as such regardless of the validity of the initial method used to reject them. Human reviewers would need to see a blinded mix of rejects and accepts to make this not garbage.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 26, 2020

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Honestly in this specific instance AI is probably better than the terrible psychometric testing and other arbitrary poo poo big companies use to filter down the thousands of identical graduate applications to a manageable number.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

A coin flip would be better too. Hell, put the resumes in a pachinko machine.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Being slightly better than a coin flip is really the only goal. When you're trying to trim 20,000 identical applications from college grads into 500 interviews then hitting the threshold "we think this is 5% better than random selection" is enough reason to use something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
There's no way to quantify whether it's actually better or not. It's just to do something.