Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
My main problem with him is that a lot of the neat movement options for him require you to move and then swap, which is a lot less effective than how almost everyone else (often with reflex grips) can shoot and then do their move. He's one of the few people that gets a lot of utility from moving and it somewhat hurts his power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Just had a Ronin charge towards Patchwork, whose gremlin zapped them for 1, but also arced to an android who I hit for 5 during the breach, killing them, but not before they primed self-destruct, resulting in the android blowing up and killing the Ronin.

Yeah Zephyr got hit too but worth it

edit: somehow the "rooted" effect persisted even though the hit didn't go off.

edit: then Patchwork went "Shocking Hosile!" to which Axiom replied "I guess that helps" despite not being on the mission?!

Long story short this game is a beautiful mess and I love it.

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 24, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tom Tucker posted:

to which Axiom replied "I guess that helps" despite not being on the mission?!

I had a great number of missions where squad members would get hit and Cherub would shout,"NO! HIT ME INSTEAD!" which was very touching considering he often wasn't on the mission at the time :shobon:

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Jerusalem posted:

I had a great number of missions where squad members would get hit and Cherub would shout,"NO! HIT ME INSTEAD!" which was very touching considering he often wasn't on the mission at the time :shobon:

I mean that's pretty on brand for him. I can super imagine him mic'd up next to Whisper for any mission he's not involved with weeping every time someone gets shot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Started a new playthrough, selected Zephyr who I never used last time. She just runs straight in and starts wailing on dudes at the start of each mission, it's the best :allears:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Did they seriously just break all XCOM 2 mods so they can have a unified launcher?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Jerusalem posted:

Started a new playthrough, selected Zephyr who I never used last time. She just runs straight in and starts wailing on dudes at the start of each mission, it's the best :allears:
I am extremely salty I didn’t get the muton dude, but Zephyr is a pretty good consolation prize. Handing out debuffs and pinballing around the room with Australian gene-spliced kung fu is a lot of fun. I just wish you could get weapon upgrades for her.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

CS kicks rear end I love not having to leapfrog and creep along huge maps, ensuring I activate exactly one pod and do so with the first person I move that turn. Not having to do that poo poo in an XCOM game is great.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I went gently caress it and started a new playthrough, this time learning from past mistakes and actually researching correctly. Also since I didn't do the tutorial this time It just let me choose people, which is neat.
Went Progeny first and laughing at how much easier the final level for that was compared to the bullshit of Coil's, and how they were such dumbasses about their plan.

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 24, 2020

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

vaginite posted:

CS kicks rear end I love not having to leapfrog and creep along huge maps, ensuring I activate exactly one pod and do so with the first person I move that turn. Not having to do that poo poo in an XCOM game is great.

Don't forget intentionally losing your own LOS on a 2nd pod before you break Concealment so that they don't activate over the raging firefight 1 block away.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I can't believe we don't have a button that picks four random agents for you on game start.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That button is 'skip tutorial' then throwing stuff at your monitor

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

I am extremely salty I didn’t get the muton dude, but Zephyr is a pretty good consolation prize. Handing out debuffs and pinballing around the room with Australian gene-spliced kung fu is a lot of fun. I just wish you could get weapon upgrades for her.

Yeah I unlocked close combat and watching her just kicking the poo poo out of 4 enemies was a hell of a thing.

Also got the interaction where she accuses Shelter of being angry at her because his face keeps turning red whenever she's around :3:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Zephyr is pretty great. My one complaint about her is that her damage kind of starts to lag behind everyone else because she doesn't benefit from tech upgrades at all. You do get a flat +1 damage boost if you take Pressure Point (which also lets you KO enemies with basic attacks which is pretty nice) but it comes at the cost of her equivalent of bladestorm so it's a difficult tradeoff.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Zephyr is pretty great. My one complaint about her is that her damage kind of starts to lag behind everyone else because she doesn't benefit from tech upgrades at all. You do get a flat +1 damage boost if you take Pressure Point (which also lets you KO enemies with basic attacks which is pretty nice) but it comes at the cost of her equivalent of bladestorm so it's a difficult tradeoff.

She also gets an upgrade that allows her to ignore armor entirely. The other option at that level is the ability to trigger her Momentum with Crowd Control (and Subdue assuming you passed on taking Pressure Point), and also lets her move without triggering Overwatch or reaction fire.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Zephyr having a move thats essentially just Curly Howard going apeshit saying nothing but woowoowoowoowoo and knocking things on their head is hilarious.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Main downside of CS: 90% of VIP extractions are on highways, and apparently the enemy can blow cars up instantly.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Main downside of CS: 90% of VIP extractions are on highways, and apparently the enemy can blow cars up instantly.

Yeah, that's why I bring Cherub on VIP extractions, so he can throw down a shield on VIPs.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think Lockdown (bladestorm) is actually much better at keeping her damage up of the two when you consider that at minimum, it's usually going to give you a free second attack on the target (before they act, which is oddly omitted from the ability description). Even factoring in her miss-rate (25%) and ignoring any bonus face-kicks she gets on other nearby people, it's comparable to +3 damage (75% of 4) per attack instead of +1.

It also combos really well with Parry and her Leroy Jenkins Breach action.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Bruceski posted:

I always run the VIP to the back of the map behind the best cover I can find and just park them there in a defensive crouch until I've got the map mostly mopped up. Then I have them beeline for the extraction in the lull when I'm finishing off the last couple of stragglers and before the reinforcements start coming in. They tend to be pretty fast, and the maps small enough that two full dashes can usually get them to safety. So you can start them running on the turn when you're killing off the last bad guys, and finish their run on the turn that reinforcements show up. Sometimes they aren't quite fast enough to make it, or something spawns right next to them and you have to scramble to do something before they get blasted, but that's xcom baby.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Shelter's also pretty great on VIP extraction missions, since you can swap with an enemy near the evac point, then turn around and swap with the VIP on Shelter's next turn to let the VIP get out of dodge.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

W.T. Fits posted:

Shelter's also pretty great on VIP extraction missions, since you can swap with an enemy near the evac point, then turn around and swap with the VIP on Shelter's next turn to let the VIP get out of dodge.

But mostly because his clone let's you run off and shoot people and then have it swap you back to the evac point. Bonus points, his clone doesn't decay while he's gone so he doesnt even have to still be in the field to warp someone onto the extraction point.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

first win ever! i am exultant. i went for run n' gun into rapid fire on the last avatar and i whooped when the achievement popped up. now to play on something other than normal/savescum.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Oh, investigations can actually change on when you start them I guess.

Im on 3rd with Coil this time and the final room there is the 1st room now without the main guy.
Naturally it glitched out and I couldnt finish it after I cleared the room for some reason. Guessing killing an android then it's explosion killed my nearby hacked android who also exploded messed the game up.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Hi thread, barging in for the first time since XCom 2 launched. Do we have any word on the Switch version? I am concerned about performance, considering the PC version can still be a bit chunky.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I installed a mod to add Ghost in the shell armor looks to the game, but it ended up looking crummy so I uninstalled it.

Now my power armor model is just straight up missing/invisible in the game and it whines whenever I try to load a save that the mod is missing. Is there a way to fix this or is this save just tainted forever now?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Shoenin posted:

Oh, investigations can actually change on when you start them I guess.

Im on 3rd with Coil this time and the final room there is the 1st room now without the main guy.
Naturally it glitched out and I couldnt finish it after I cleared the room for some reason. Guessing killing an android then it's explosion killed my nearby hacked android who also exploded messed the game up.

At least you found a unique way to glitch that mission. Most people get an 'overwatch after breach' bonus door, take that, and since the overseer is coded to appear right after the breach and immediately run to the exit, it gets blasted to bits by your whole team. But you don't find out that you broke the mission until you get to the third room, where you're supposed to kill it. Another thing that probably came from a minimal QA process, assuming it was rushed out when the 'rona hit.

E:

Scoss posted:

I installed a mod to add Ghost in the shell armor looks to the game, but it ended up looking crummy so I uninstalled it.

Now my power armor model is just straight up missing/invisible in the game and it whines whenever I try to load a save that the mod is missing. Is there a way to fix this or is this save just tainted forever now?

Try a verify integrity of game files in steam? That might replace whatever is missing. But it also sounds like it still thinks you should have the mod, so it may not have uninstalled itself correctly and you might have to live with invisible agents or just bite the bullet and download the mod again.

E2: This might get rid of the warning at least: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2095331361&searchtext=

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 25, 2020

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

W.T. Fits posted:

Why bother swapping when you can just have Torque tongue pull the VIP straight to the exit and finish the mission before half the enemies have a chance to move.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Scoss posted:

Unfortunately, removing a cosmetic mod in the middle of a campaign can lead to issues - there is a mod that can silence that whining, but all it does is remove the "mod is missing" popup. Any issues caused by its removal will persist.

If you go to customize the soldier, can you still do so?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

Why bother swapping when you can just have Torque tongue pull the VIP straight to the exit and finish the mission before half the enemies have a chance to move.

Because it was a highway mission where your entire squad starts on one side with the VIP and have to cross to the other side, as opposed to a mission where you breach into a room, move up to the VIP to activate them, then have them move to a specified exit on the map.

And also because I didn't have Torque with me on that mission, otherwise I would've tried for the achievement where you have both Torque and Shelter move the VIP with their abilities.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
By the way Is Improvised Explosives glitched? Because Claymore wasn't recovering a grenade a lot of the time after encounters. He sometimes would but a lot of times wouldn't.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I got the Extra Hours Achievement but I'm still not entirely certain exactly WHAT I was supposed to do. The wording made it seem like I needed to kill somebody the same turn I activated it, then when it pops back to Godmother a couple turns later kill somebody again. I tried that and it didn't work, so I looked it up online and people were saying I had to kill somebody on both her moves on the third turn, but I hosed that up when Zephyr spin-kicked some fool while he tried to run past her... but then the achievement popped anyway when I killed the last enemy on the level so :shrug:

Spork Dragon
Jan 3, 2007
I feel like my squad has gotten super chatty about armor since the patch. Not a single shot against an armored opponent happens without a disappointed comment. I took a full health guy down to one pip of health, but because there was one point of armor mitigation someone says, "Glanced off the armor." I guess? You still ruined that guys day.

On the flip side, my squad is full of drama queens now. A full health Cherub took a pistol shot that resulted in 1 pip of damage, 3 damage mitigated by his armor. "*Gasp* that went right through me." You'll be fine.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

58 hours and multiple runs in I have finally done every type of breach entry point. I didn't even know ladders were an option!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Just had one of the reinforcement entrances and the Evac zone be the exact same two tiles. Weird.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 25, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Somberbrero posted:

first win ever! i am exultant. i went for run n' gun into rapid fire on the last avatar and i whooped when the achievement popped up. now to play on something other than normal/savescum.

congratulations! :D

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Jerusalem posted:

I got the Extra Hours Achievement but I'm still not entirely certain exactly WHAT I was supposed to do. The wording made it seem like I needed to kill somebody the same turn I activated it, then when it pops back to Godmother a couple turns later kill somebody again. I tried that and it didn't work, so I looked it up online and people were saying I had to kill somebody on both her moves on the third turn, but I hosed that up when Zephyr spin-kicked some fool while he tried to run past her... but then the achievement popped anyway when I killed the last enemy on the level so :shrug:

it is activate overtime, on that turn kill someone, when her turn comes up 2 rounds later kill someone again. that is what i did to pop it

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

58 hours and multiple runs in I have finally done every type of breach entry point. I didn't even know ladders were an option!

Yeah, they're super rare. I didnt encounter one until the last investigation of my last campaign.

Has anyone managed to get the black market achievement? Their inventory is so limited I never managed to get 20 unique items in one run despite hitting a point where I just bought out their supply every time they appeared.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BobTheJanitor posted:

I always run the VIP to the back of the map behind the best cover I can find and just park them there in a defensive crouch until I've got the map mostly mopped up. Then I have them beeline for the extraction in the lull when I'm finishing off the last couple of stragglers and before the reinforcements start coming in. They tend to be pretty fast, and the maps small enough that two full dashes can usually get them to safety. So you can start them running on the turn when you're killing off the last bad guys, and finish their run on the turn that reinforcements show up. Sometimes they aren't quite fast enough to make it, or something spawns right next to them and you have to scramble to do something before they get blasted, but that's xcom baby.

It's not about the VIP exploding, it's about everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Did the Sacred Coil takedown just a little while ago. It was the third investigation, so I started off in the room with the Gatekeeper, which immediately fled. Cleared the room, went into the next room and had to send everyone through the "all units entering through this door enter Overwatch after the breach phase" effect.

Cue the start of the battle, the Gatekeeper immediately raises a bunch of psi zombies... then runs the gently caress away. Nobody takes a shot.

Bellus Mar's turn comes up, he takes a single step from his starting position and immediately hits the ground as 3/4 of my squad unload their weapons into him. :allears: