Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

40% in Ireland is accurate, though slightly misleading - it only counts the population of the Republic of Ireland. Historically up until the 1920s, and given how Brexit is going most likely again within the next decade or two, the island was always one economic/demographic unit. So if you include Northern Ireland's population, Dublin is only approx 29% - still high, but more in-line with European norms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They're not including the populations of Belarus and Ukraine in the calculations with Russia either.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tiocfaidh ár lá

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

FreudianSlippers posted:

Tiocfaidh ár lá

it is somewhat ironic that they only way that math correction works out is if 26+6=1

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm surprised that Italy, Germany, and Poland are all lower than Russia.

Switzerland I knew the population was kinda spread out rather than focused in one place, but that's a lot of spread through such a small country.
In most European countries the largest city is also the capital. In Switzerland Bern is only like the fifth largest city. If Zurich had been the capital the figure would be roughly 15%, which is more in line with the rest of Europe.

At the other extreme (per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_capitals_by_population ) are those countries that have purpose-built capital cities, like Australia or Canada or Brazil. The US is at the bottom of that list because only 0.21% of the population lives in DC, though of course that doesn't account for the Virginia and Maryland suburbs.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
So much blue.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The only way to get easily identifiable and unique flags is to assign each polity to an aristocratic family and have them all try to kill eachother and vy for power over the course of 5-10 centuries.

Bad flags are a sign of not being under the rule of hereditary nobility. :patriot:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is the first time I’ve thought that California’s flag might be the best.

New Mexico’s doesn’t display as well at this size.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Traditionally most states didn't have flags. The civil war however was mainly fought using national guard units so each army unit was attached to a state which didn't have a flag.

Therefore for mitary purposes the regiments just took put the state seal which statea did have and was designed and stuck then on a blue field which was both cheap in terms of die ans the color of the Union forces making them easily identifiable as being on the same side. This is also why the blue background with seal predominates in the north and west with the only Southern States which have it being Kentucky (which never seceded) and Virginia (I don't know why, they're just masochists over there)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Oregon's flag is terrible but has a saving grace: the reverse design is completely different from the obverse. Rather better design, too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ohio’s flag is the state’s highest achievement.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

The only way to get easily identifiable and unique flags is to assign each polity to an aristocratic family and have them all try to kill eachother and vy for power over the course of 5-10 centuries.

Bad flags are a sign of not being under the rule of hereditary nobility. :patriot:

Based on your rules Northern Ireland was pretty chill? What's going on there

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Weirdly, those flags come from the gaelic games? So they're all dull because they're not so much a design as just a color palette for their sports paraphernalia.

Weirdly each of the counties still has their own fancy coat of arms, so I guess maybe the county governments just never bothered with associating flags with themselves? I suppose maybe the forces of colonialism prevented the county governments from associating with the former states that fought amongst eachother and against English conquest.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Traditionally most states didn't have flags. The civil war however was mainly fought using national guard units so each army unit was attached to a state which didn't have a flag.

Therefore for mitary purposes the regiments just took put the state seal which statea did have and was designed and stuck then on a blue field which was both cheap in terms of die ans the color of the Union forces making them easily identifiable as being on the same side. This is also why the blue background with seal predominates in the north and west with the only Southern States which have it being Kentucky (which never seceded) and Virginia (I don't know why, they're just masochists over there)

Thank you, now I like poorly designed state flags even more.

Sadly, southern states have followed in the pattern by showing off what side they were on in the war to abolish slavery.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Oregon's flag is terrible but has a saving grace: the reverse design is completely different from the obverse. Rather better design, too.

It is unacceptable for a state flag to take sides in a college sports rivalry imo

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Colorado has the best flag.

Guam's looks like a first-person view of being born out of a vagina onto the beach.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Pakled posted:

It is unacceptable for a state flag to take sides in a college sports rivalry imo

As a ducks fan, I feel like Oregon State needs something so why not give them the back side of the flag.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

SlothfulCobra posted:

A lot of these flags actually originate from the late 19th and early 20th centuries starting with the Local Government Act in 1888 which created county councils. The one for Greater Manchester only dates from the 1970s and is an entirely original creation. British people just like making poo poo which looks historical.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HookShot posted:

Colorado and Arizona’s flags have student design energy.

They’re not bad. They’re just safe.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

HookShot posted:

Guam's looks like a first-person view of being born out of a vagina onto the beach.
Well, there are worse holes to be born out of.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Weirdly, those flags come from the gaelic games? So they're all dull because they're not so much a design as just a color palette for their sports paraphernalia.
No wonder I immediately thought of sports when I looked at those, though admittedly motorsports and not traditional Irish games.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Except for the south, where white is a lot more popular :thunk:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess Northumberland's in the North West now?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Is Luxembourg the smallest country in the world that's not an actual joke of a country like Nauru or the Vatican or the other European micro-duchies?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Is Luxembourg not an actual joke?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Georgia is both smaller and less of a joke.

I think the real answer is Singapore, though.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Platystemon posted:

Georgia is both smaller and less of a joke.

By what metric?

But yeah, Singapore.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kennel posted:

By what metric?

The fraction of it that’s in Europe, but the only reason it’s less of a joke than Luxembourg is that it has the legitimacy of the Asian majority.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Platystemon posted:

The fraction of it that’s in Europe, but the only reason it’s less of a joke than Luxembourg is that it has the legitimacy of the Asian majority.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOCydGRcv1A

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

SlothfulCobra posted:

Somerset's old flag of a mace wielding dragon is left out of "best flag" discussions and that's a bad thing

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

this is circa 2020, before the megacities

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
When I become undisputed ruler of America my number one priority will be Flag Reform. The people will cry out for Healthcare, or a social Safety Net, or running water. But only I as a true Philosopher King will understand what the nation really needs.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Wait a minute, over half of these are just repeats from the continent (except the dragon, points for that one)

Still much better than America's garbage flags. What were they thinking? It's such a strange country, in some ways they have special snowflake syndrome, but when it comes to the name ('United States of America'), the territorial entity shapes, and the flags, everything is just incredibly generic. I would compare it to the Central African Republic, but that one actually has an interesting flag.

I said interesting, not good.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Take South Carolina's flag and turn the blue into a green and it becomes an islamic emirate, what with its crescent moon and palm tree.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

freebooter posted:

Is Luxembourg the smallest country in the world that's not an actual joke of a country like Nauru or the Vatican or the other European micro-duchies?

I sometimes think about what it must be like to be a true-blue Luxembourger and most of the country is Eurocrats, tax dodgers, and foreign workers. Represented internationally by horrible slime Juncker (until recently). You can't organize a Lexit movement because you'll never reach a majority of the electorate. You also probably don't want to since (I imagine) at least some of the €€€ is making it back to you.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 24, 2020

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I sometimes think about what it must be like to be a true-blue Luxembourger and most of the country is Eurocrats, tax dodgers, and foreign workers. Represented internationally by horrible slime Juncker (until recently). You can't organize a Lexit movement because you'lll never reach a majority of the electorate. You also probably don't want to since (I imagine) at least some of the €€€ is making it back to you.

Is there anything other than tax dodging going on in their economy actually? I mean, aside from the mandatory agriculture and tourism (which is probably inflated by tax dodgers).

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

BonHair posted:

Is there anything other than tax dodging going on in their economy actually? I mean, aside from the mandatory agriculture and tourism (which is probably inflated by tax dodgers).

Steel manufacturing, apparently!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pope Hilarius II posted:

What do you mean when you say 'sociological radius'? On an average working day A LOT of people from all over the country work in BXL.

That's true, came to mind immediately after I posted. As far as the labor market is concerned, it does have a really wide reach - most of Belgium if you're being generous. I myself worked there for six years. At the same time, it never would have occurred to me to go shopping in Brussels, or to go out there. Outside of a professional context, I went shopping there a few times with a friend at her request, and I attended a Stiff Little Fingers concert (we somehow got into a traffic jam downtown despite it being 9 PM). Maybe a museum or two. That's about it, and I've lived within 20-25 km of Brussels all of my life.

I would just much rather visit Leuven (which I am closer to as well). I don't mind that it's smaller-scale, at least I won't have to choose between struggling to express myself in French or getting blank stares when I have the audacity to use my own language in a 'bilingual' city.

I have no real problem with Brussels otherwise, I'm not one of those Flemings who are scared of all those dangerous browns, I can even easily see how people get attached to it, but I personally have never felt at home there. I have also often heard and read that many Walloons dislike Brussels, because basically everything within francophone Belgium is centralized there, and Walloon culture/identity gets sidelined and subsumed under this generic 'francophone' label.
That's an interesting dynamic to me, and I don't know how many other countries have it. Brussels is so important to Belgium in a logistical sense, yet the prevailing attitude is one of indifference or contempt. Maybe Washington D.C., I get a similar vibe from many Americans' attitude towards it, but unlike Belgium (which is obviously much smaller) the US has been decentralized since the very beginning and many Americans probably (almost) never visit it in their lives.

BonHair posted:

They had a fairly strong steel industry, but it started declining at about the same time that they cemented their status as a tax/expat haven.

e: apparently ArcelorMittal is headquartered there, so they cleverly found a way to turn even deindustrialization to their advantage. I have to hand it to those Luxboys.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 24, 2020

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

That's true, came to mind immediately after I posted. As far as the labor market is concerned, it does have a really wide reach - most of Belgium if you're being generous. I myself worked there for six years. At the same time, it never would have occurred to me to go shopping in Brussels, or to go out there. Outside of a professional context, I went shopping there a few times with a friend at her request, and I attended a Stiff Little Fingers concert (we somehow got into a traffic jam downtown despite it being 9 PM). Maybe a museum or two. That's about it, and I've lived within 20-25 km of Brussels all of my life.

I would just much rather visit Leuven (which I am closer to as well). I don't mind that it's smaller-scale, at least I won't have to choose between struggling to express myself in French or getting blank stares when I have the audacity to use my own language in a 'bilingual' city.

I have no real problem with Brussels otherwise, I'm not one of those Flemings who are scared of all those dangerous browns, I can even easily see how people get attached to it, but I personally have never felt at home there. I have also often heard and read that many Walloons dislike Brussels, because basically everything within francophone Belgium is centralized there, and Walloon culture/identity gets sidelined and subsumed under this generic 'francophone' label.
That's an interesting dynamic to me, and I don't know how many other countries have it. Brussels is so important to Belgium in a logistical sense, yet the prevailing attitude is one of indifference or contempt. Maybe Washington D.C., I get a similar vibe from many Americans' attitude towards it, but unlike Belgium (which is obviously much smaller) the US has been decentralized since the very beginning and many Americans probably (almost) never visit it in their lives.

Honestly Brussels is the only Belgian city outside of my native city (Ghent) where I could picture myself living. In some sense it has an island mentality, yes. Many Bruxellois are incredibly ignorant of anything outside of the Capital District and most francophones' Dutch is either non-existent or laughably poor (Walloons that do make an effort to learn Dutch are generally much better at it, possibly due to some kind of inferiority complex), but at the same time Brussels is a truly cosmopolitan city with a worldly vibe that you'll not find anywhere else in Belgium. It's not like Antwerp, where I always immediately feel like an outsider, or other cities that are basically just provincial hubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Both steel and air cargo are just tax dodging with extra steps.