Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ok fine. I do like shiny things.

From D to A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Rahul posted:

Yeah, sounds like we've burned a hell of a lot of dad-cred with this trip. Hope everyone is cool with sim-kavodel for the next 200 years because we sure as hell aint going on any more adventures any time soon

Yeah, I am willing to bet we get this general outcome:

Tudiya: "While impressive, I don't think it actually justifies your trip to the degree I had in mind. While what you brought back is enough to keep me from losing my foot up your rear end, you better look into getting a good cushion regardless, because your rear end is staying at home."

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

TKs D

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Eh, he'll change his tune once we start pumping out sicknasty smith stuff thanks to Every Strike, we just can't actually TELL HIM about Every Strike so he's just going to have to wait to see the results.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Eh, he'll change his tune once we start pumping out sicknasty smith stuff thanks to Every Strike, we just can't actually TELL HIM about Every Strike so he's just going to have to wait to see the results.

Yeah, but what's gonna happen when he wants us to teach these breakthroughs to other blacksmiths so we can mass produce them, and we can't because it requires a literal gift from God coupled with an aberrant bloodline?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

the_steve posted:

Yeah, but what's gonna happen when he wants us to teach these breakthroughs to other blacksmiths so we can mass produce them, and we can't because it requires a literal gift from God coupled with an aberrant bloodline?

Everystrike has said that it will help guide us in how to share its teachings with others so as not to appear like we are receiving divine guidance.

Diogines posted:

Wallet posted:

Hammer I know we can't tell anyone about you, but may we share the things you will teach us with others?

Hammer? Uh, you okay little buddy?

Did your question... break the hammer?!

After its longest pause the Hammer says "Yes. But take great care in doing so. It is important that while you execute His will, that through me, men do not see a glimmer of an ember of His Reflected Awesome Radiance and mistakenly believe that you are even a twinkling glimmer as inspiring of awe as the The Eternal One. Thus while men are likely to believe you to be a great smith with the things we make together, you must take great care in sharing the things you learn while using me, lest men think your knowledge of the working of metal is greater than it should be."

Why were you silent for so long?

"I was considering carefully how to best answer your question, because it was a good question and the answer was very important."

E: I could have sworn there was more where it said it would help, but I can't find that post now.

EE: Aha!

Item VI on Every Strike's function list seems to indicate it'll help us with this stuff.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 24, 2020

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

I remember some time ago Adina grumbled that not everyone was getting personal smith tips from Marnal when Enkidel asked why didn't he design the river rock crusher to be all blooded bronze.

With Avery here we sorta will now.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
A

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

B

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
D. No, I don't bring it up. I plan to scout the region in a few weeks for whatever we have, and then obtain quantities of the ores in secret to experiment with on my own! Surely if some very-likely-not-people want it, it's useful in some way, right?

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Please appreciate for a moment that we are finally at page 6669

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ArbitraryTA posted:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm waiting for page 6969 myself.

Bede
Jun 2, 2006

I wasn't even around for the goblin baby vote
A

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
B, that place is going to be nothing but bad news.

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

A

Tudiya won't want to trade unless we make a case for it. He may still say no, which is his prerogative.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

ArbitraryTA posted:

The Devil's Nice. Noice.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

C

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

TK-42-1 posted:

D Tell him everything about it but ask if he has any wisdom on whether or not we should try and exploit the offer. Accept his judgement either way.
gently caress. D. I don't see how else we trade with them without 3dad knowing.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I'm voting A just in the hopes it prompts him to give us Zepath Vault Lore about them

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I'm voting A just in the hopes it prompts him to give us Zepath Vault Lore about them

"You are forbidden from making a deal with them."
"But why, Triple Dad?"
"I'll tell you when you're older."

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

D Tell him everything about it but ask if he has any wisdom on whether or not we should try and exploit the offer. Accept his judgement either way.

Came to post this.

As far as one of the Old Tales being true or not, haven't we spoken to Zebanetha about this sort of thing and he tells us that some Old Tales are allegory or fables for teaching? It's entirely plausible that Badad has gone through more Tough Times and have a different situation now. Maybe they have a nuclear medicine program now and need some radioactives or something.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Outrail posted:

Are we really trusting 'gut feelings' now?

C.

Tell dad we haven't had a chance to fully demonstrate the fruits of our journey. We did not find 'a great weapon'. We found methods and discoveries to turn Kavodels and Zepath into greater weapons. Ask for another year to implement the discoveries and techniques we have learnt so they can be properly demonstrated, then he can pass judgment on the worthiness of our journey.

I vote for C and Plan Outrail

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

Outrail posted:

Are we really trusting 'gut feelings' now?

C.

Tell dad we haven't had a chance to fully demonstrate the fruits of our journey. We did not find 'a great weapon'. We found methods and discoveries to turn Kavodels and Zepath into greater weapons. Ask for another year to implement the discoveries and techniques we have learnt so they can be properly demonstrated, then he can pass judgment on the worthiness of our journey.

Perfect, he's going to be so stoked when we bring him a sword that can cut through anything...

Voting this

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TK-42-1 posted:

while the badad business is part of why i wanted to talk to ish THEN dad, we're here now and unless we're going to forget badad ever happened we should probably tell him now; if he's as against trading as we suspect then we were never going to trade with them with him alive anyway

and we have some reason to believe he knows at least some of the Weird Nonsense of Ye Oldenne Dayes

and Uriah's likely to tell him if we don't, unless ordered to shut up or maybe if we promise to forget all about the International Airport of Ninhursag

so

This D

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 24, 2020

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A
Tell him we believe that the secrets of crafting bluestones might still be alive in Ur. Explain that we went to where Badad was supposed to be, how they had isolated themselves from the rest of Ur, how strange their communicating pillar was, that they knew of bluestones and had them on the list of things they were looking to trade for.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

A

I guess? :shrug:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Voting A I'm going to die laughing if Tudiya calls bullshit on Badad but doesn't call into question anything else. Like, the one time we're being honest as possible.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Yes. They're obviously at present in permanent total quarantine mode. Old tales says plague, it matches.

I'm still completely convinced that uranium can be somehow refined into blue stones, perhaps there's just tiny blue stones in there that you somehow have to separate from the junk urainium part. This is the actual useful thing we got from Badad

Blue Stones are probably solid radioactivity or protomatter, and you can use uranium as a fuel to obtain Blue Stones not that you refine uranium itself into Blue Stones. I imagine whatever is inside a Blue Stone isn't defined by the four forces as we know it and so in creating something from it the craftsman gets to define it as matter entirely, while still being stable/metastable in our current reality.

Maybe their doing the equivalent of using nuclear power to open a gate into a divine realm and then strip mining it to build whatever the gently caress they need.

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat
B

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

6669? That a position I am not familiar with.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

By popular demand posted:

6669? That a position I am not familiar with.

:goonsay:

Look at this nerd whats missing out

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
A

kalam
Oct 30, 2010
A.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

D

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

A

haunted bear tale
May 14, 2013
A

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
A We already have dad's wisdom on this:

"Don't be tempted by the vices and luxuries of other cities. Heart full of El, courage and strength, etc, etc."

If we don't make a strong case for trading, the answer is no. Dad is open to reason, we convinced him to let Lefkandi keep using slaves to gather clay back in the day. As long as we're willing to put the effort into selling this trade to him, we should have a reasonable chance at getting some trade going.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Trading with Badad is a bad idea for the same reason maintaining our trade deal with Indor would have been bad in the long run: We would be shorting ourselves.
Indor may be good at what she does, but I would bet good money that Diog's notes say that she's only using a fraction of a Bluestone's efficiency when crafting, either because of her own ability or because she's holding out on us.

Badad will be the same way. They clearly see us as primitive idiots, and will hand us a shiny +1 sword in exchange for enough materials to make half a dozen +5s.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It’s not going to be like an active trading relationship. It’s more like endless fetch quests that take 7+ hours across the world Desert Bus style to complete each step. Even if we did it in a time skip I’m guessing it would take at least a decade if not more of travel to complete it. That’s not including the actual sourcing of material which we aren’t even sure we can do at this point.

I’m of the opinion that if it’s something we can delegate and let happen in the background without compromising our safety then just let it happen. We’ll probably have to go on the first trip to get through the flats and then set up some kind of drop point or easier access for our delegate later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah any "trade deal" with Badad would be a 10+ year project to locate and start large-scale mining of the weird rocks, then another 5-10 years to assemble a caravan and get it to Badad. It's a seriously complicated fetch quest for an artifact-quality reward, not like sending a boat of grain and ingots up the river to Acco.

I think it's worth it because we've still got the breathing room to plan on a scale of decades before the next Jubilee and where else are we going to get The Platonic Ideal of Sword (or something of similar-ish quality)?