Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Hi yes hello we heard your complaints that 2020 wasn't exciting enough and that is why we are now for a limited time only offering

***India-China armed border skirmishes***

https://twitter.com/clary_co/status/1264126794850078720?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

It seems to vary heavily by job, and then by rank. I've always worked in a joint environment and most everybody I've ever worked with is atheist or close to it. Usually the few religious folks are SNCOs, which makes sense as chugging kool aid and being in a restrictive environment is something they enjoy

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Porfiriato posted:

Hi yes hello we heard your complaints that 2020 wasn't exciting enough and that is why we are now for a limited time only offering

Don't these happen all the time anyway or is that India-pakistan. Or India-Bangladesh.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Don't these happen all the time anyway or is that India-pakistan. Or India-Bangladesh.

India and Pakistan are always getting cranky about Kashmir.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's much more rare when China and India shoot at/antagonize each other. Last major flare up was in 2017, right around this time.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Porfiriato posted:

The linked article posted:

This is not shaping up like a routing patrol confrontation, or even a temporary occupation of disputed territory of the kind that took place in Depsang in 2013, or in Chumar in 2014. This time the PLA soldiers are digging defences, preparing bunkers, moving in heavy vehicles and have reportedly even moved artillery guns to the rear (albeit in their own territory) to support the intruders, say the sources.

It doesn't say whether or not they're building bunkers and deploying artillery on their side of the line or inside India's territory, but, uh... either way, yikes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Now is absolutely the time to make power plays if you have the resources.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
https://twitter.com/AprilDRyan/status/1264371582648098819

How many of the horsemen are we at right now?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Enough to recreate the charge of the light bridge probably

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Those come later, we still need the comet wormwood poisoning the oceans, the locusts with human faces and I think the whore of babylon to emerge after birthing the beast. Not that I'm tracking or anything but we have a few seals left to go before the horsemen arrive.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

None because thanks to pesticides, I bet they're a no show

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
This particular brood's range isn't very big. Rising temperatures are causing broods to emerge ahead of schedule, though.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
It's a great time for civ 6 apocalypse version to be out. Disasters can be cranked up so high that comets nonstop nuke the world and vaporize cities.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Air force is closer to god, duh

My theory is that it was because of the Blue ~*~Angels~*~ putting an earworm in the sees-symbols-everywhere crowd as kids

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

They're harmless though. Unless you insist on having a clean car.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's much more rare when China and India shoot at/antagonize each other. Last major flare up was in 2017, right around this time.

It’s campaigning season up there.

More people summit Everest on May 18 than on any other date.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

My thinking is, the day someone sits me down and says "I see you got probated in 2007 for shitposting about Ron Paul" is the day I decide it's time to find a new career.

:lol: Yeah, same.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

El Mero Mero posted:

My theory is that it was because of the Blue ~*~Angels~*~ putting an earworm in the sees-symbols-everywhere crowd as kids

Blue Angels are Navy though?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I never understood the big deal about cicadas. They come out every summer.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Prop Wash posted:

I can’t imagine it would be a problem unless you’re in one of Those Career Fields. The stuff on Something Awful isn’t more radical than what you’d find on Facebook or Twitter. Granted it slants left instead of right which... oh...

What are Those Career Fields? Counterintelligence? DIA poo poo?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
iyaayas was complaining about having to go in the nuclear weapon field for career diversification, IIRC. That doesn’t sound like a field where they’d enjoy jokes.

But you know, reality.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

They're harmless though. Unless you insist on having a clean car.

Tell that to Africa.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/apr/13/second-wave-of-locusts-in-east-africa-said-to-be-20-times-worse

They absolutely will gently caress up crops and make people starve.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Locusts are flying grasshoppers, not cicadas

Cicadas only danger is to your hearing, those fuckers get loud when a brood emerges

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Gah, crossed wires in the brain. Yeah, cicadas are annoying as gently caress.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I think theyre actually a net good cause of all the waste they leave behind for scavengers when they emerge and the massive food source they temporarily become

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

quote:

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, King Of Kings, And Lord Of Lords.

*Pestilence option not available before 1906.
**May not apply in all regions. (Actually, just a few counties in north-midwest North Carolina, west-central Virgina and southeast West Virgina.)
***At management's sole discretion, Pestilence may be substituted with a plague of locusts.
****At management's sole discretion, locusts may be substituted with 17 year cicaidas.
*****Management not responsible for hearing loss.

Will you risk madness to gaze upon the horror?!?

joat mon fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 24, 2020

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

PeterCat posted:

I never understood the big deal about cicadas. They come out every summer.

There’s the annual cicadas and then there’s the 17 year cicadas.

The 17 year ones just swarm everywhere.

https://youtu.be/EWr8fzUz-Yw

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

These cicadas will bring forth graboids with their noise just you watch because this is 2020 and things can always get worse

That Works
Jul 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Looking out back at the New England forest that is my backyard with about 10 million shrieking birds out there today and the river behind it jumping with trout and thinking about the cicadas... "yeah bring those fuckers on"

poo poo's gonna be a feast for the wildlife here.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Stravag posted:

These cicadas will bring forth graboids with their noise just you watch because this is 2020 and things can always get worse

Graboids would improve 2020

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
On the one hand, neither India or China would materially benefit from a border dispute conflict and certainly not full-out war, but when you put two overconfident strongmen in a room and both feel like being seen to back down would undermine their rule, the odds they'll settle on a mutually face-saving modus vivendi edge downward.

As a fan of neither country's leadership, the only thing holding me back from rooting them on to all-out war would be the mind-boggling civilian death toll.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Porfiriato posted:

Ahh that colonel.

https://twitter.com/BabaUmarr/status/1260594096470659076

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hm.

Sword - We've still got time. Contenders include Iran, China, and anyone who might tweet something Donny dislikes.
Famine - If the trucking industry gets hit by COVID, this could get interesting. Current meat shortages don't qualify.
Wild Beasts - Tiger King?
Plague - Facebook or COVID, either way.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

My thinking is, the day someone sits me down and says "I see you got probated in 2007 for shitposting about Ron Paul" is the day I decide it's time to find a new career.

In a bar, I would tell you a story.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

COB, please, I was trying to explain to Sea MAN Beaumont here the intricacies of modern SONAR.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The best thing about cicadas is the fungus that makes them trip balls and gently caress everything while it kills them: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/28/science/cicadas-fungus-butts.html

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Midjack posted:

The best thing about cicadas is the fungus that makes them trip balls and gently caress everything while it kills them: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/28/science/cicadas-fungus-butts.html

quote:

“Maybe the cicadas just want to feel numb,” he said.
:same:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

also I wasn't trying to get lovely about mormons, the only guaranteed nice enlisted people in the marines were mormon I never met a mean one.

I just meant he might have had connections through church, not unlike the good boys club in the army for westpoint grads

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A heads up because I frequently miss these things but since this is the first manned spaceflight from the US in a decade:

SPACEX Crew Dragon scheduled for launch at 4:33 Eastern on wednesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

shame on an IGA posted:

A heads up because I frequently miss these things but since this is the first manned spaceflight from the US in a decade:

SPACEX Crew Dragon scheduled for launch at 4:33 Eastern on wednesday

Oh that’s awesome! Is that also the first manned SpaceX flight?