Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Also I'm very glad that Kravin's carried on despite some hard times he's talked about recently. :unsmith:

John Wolf came back recently after losing his father. 2020 straight up sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

Also I'm very glad that Kravin's carried on despite some hard times he's talked about recently. :unsmith:

It’s his job though and it’s not like he has a choice. As with him and John Wolfe there’s been some harsh poo poo people have had happen and being a public figure must suck having to put on a brave face and make dumb video game content. I know John said it was good to go back and have some routine but he’s also said he hates all this horror poo poo he has to play.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The Dread X Collection comes out on the 25th. It's a collaboration between some really good indie horror devs. Through my indie horror Twitter I got a key a few days ago and there is some really cool stuff in there.

Edit: Since I'm now no longer embargoed I can tell you that I played some of the early build and it's a really neat collection based on the idea of "Playable Teasers". If it does well I hope it gets a second collection. I have no financial stake in it, I'm just very involved in indie horror.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm trying to recall a certain multiplayer horror survival game, but I'm drawing a blank.

I think it was released around mid-2000s, involved a team of X amount of soldiers trying to hunt down one opposing player who is like a changeling with invisibility powers and could crawl through air vents to pick off players one by one. It was either a standalone game or a mod for Half-Life 2 and crashed a lot/was pretty buggy but fun too.

Any idea which game I'm talking about?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The Hidden?

Never played it but iirc that fits the bill.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Big Mad Drongo posted:

The Hidden?

Never played it but iirc that fits the bill.

Yep, bingo, that's the one. It was impossible to look up just by searching for 'multiplayer survival horror' which brought up only very recent titles. Thanks a lot! :D

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I finally finished RE7, and on the whole really loved it. I'm still not a hundred percent with going the creepy little girl route, but ultimately I mostly liked how they handled it. There were a few moments that I felt didn't quite fit, but I'm in the wrong for having different expectations of an RE game.

Anyway, I hope RE8 is in this vein, and does anyone know if I need to be playing these DLCs? There appear to be like three of them. Are they cool?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Danknificent posted:

I finally finished RE7, and on the whole really loved it. I'm still not a hundred percent with going the creepy little girl route, but ultimately I mostly liked how they handled it. There were a few moments that I felt didn't quite fit, but I'm in the wrong for having different expectations of an RE game.

Anyway, I hope RE8 is in this vein, and does anyone know if I need to be playing these DLCs? There appear to be like three of them. Are they cool?

Play End of Zoe but don't read anything about it first

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Not A Hero is fun as a more from the very start shooty punchy loose end catcher.

End Of Zoe rules from start to finish.

All the extra's like 21 and all that are also just good fun little gimmick modes.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Yeah, I liked Not A Hero and throughly enjoyed End of Zoe. The latter is some of the best DLC I have ever played. The other smaller ones are fun for awhile, but I only beat a couple. I found the one where you have to survive the nights super tedious.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

I'll do as you guys suggest. (I may also wait for a sale)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Danknificent posted:

I'll do as you guys suggest. (I may also wait for a sale)

FYI the Chris DLC (Not a Hero) is free, you can at least do that one without waiting.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My favorite part of RE7 is that Chris leads an anti-Umbrella task force called... Umbrella.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DropsySufferer posted:

Scorn would only interest me if it was an alien hive sim. Capture humans and use them to breed aliens. Protect the queen and grow the colony.

Eventually face a force of colonial marines or attack other hives now that sounds awesome. Hell even an RPG would be interesting.

But just a giger themed FPS with no new ideas
no thanks.

It should be a dating sim and you should be able to hold the monsters hands

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

al-azad posted:

My favorite part of RE7 is that Chris leads an anti-Umbrella task force called... Umbrella.

Yeah but they probably pronounce it differently. Like “Um-BUH-rel-luh”. Completely different.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The best part is that it's a company formed by Ex-Umbrella employees.

What could possibly go wrong

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

The best part is that it's a company formed by Ex-Umbrella employees.

What could possibly go wrong

I'm surprised there were even any umbrella employees left considering how often umbrella would just kill their own workforce off.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm surprised there were even any umbrella employees left considering how often umbrella would just kill their own workforce off.

If you watch the Resident Evil movies and take a shot every time Umbrella kills one of their own people to illustrate a point, you will be blind drunk. But because you are blind, you will no longer have to see the Resident Evil movies.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Its Blue Umbrella, totally different from Red Umbrella.
Totally.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If you watch the Resident Evil movies and take a shot every time Umbrella kills one of their own people to illustrate a point, you will be blind drunk. But because you are blind, you will no longer have to see the Resident Evil movies.

The resident evil films are self aware masterpieces. I will hear no different.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Its Blue Umbrella, totally different from Red Umbrella.
Totally.

God help us all if anyone combines them with Green Umbrella

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 24, 2020

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Speaking of Resident Evil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrBILmw_-v4

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I never thought about how weird RE1’s cover is. Who decided to prominently featured spiders on the cover of a zombie game? What is the weird shotgun/assault rifle Chris is holding?? Why does Chris look so constipated???

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

I never thought about how weird RE1’s cover is. Who decided to prominently featured spiders on the cover of a zombie game? What is the weird shotgun/assault rifle Chris is holding?? Why does Chris look so constipated???

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

isnt it traced off a judge dredd still

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

al-azad posted:

Why does Chris look so constipated???

There's gotta be some side effects on your way to becoming a roids monster.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lol did you composite that on the fly because bravo you could be hired as the cover art person for 90s video games.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

As a kid, I always thought that Chris looked a little like Ross Gellar from Friends.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Not a Hero was fine, but I'm still not clear on what actually happened. So... the ship brought the experiment to the swamp somehow, which infected the family and led to them being a bad situation for Ethan to walk into, but how did the lab fit into all of it? Who built the lab? I know who built/put this lab here without anyone noticing is a forbidden question with this franchise, but I'm not throwing stones. I genuinely don't understand how the lab/mine relates to the ship and the family.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

Lol did you composite that on the fly because bravo you could be hired as the cover art person for 90s video games.

Found it on Reddit. The cover artist was a comic artist who liked to draw really awful guns.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Danknificent posted:

Not a Hero was fine, but I'm still not clear on what actually happened. So... the ship brought the experiment to the swamp somehow, which infected the family and led to them being a bad situation for Ethan to walk into, but how did the lab fit into all of it? Who built the lab? I know who built/put this lab here without anyone noticing is a forbidden question with this franchise, but I'm not throwing stones. I genuinely don't understand how the lab/mine relates to the ship and the family.

The brother from the family was either working for or contacted and began working for some nefarious group eager to a recover/aquire combat data about the virus. They presumably built the lab in secret and left him in charge. It had already been quite some time since the wreck before Ethan stumbled in to the situation.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Zushio posted:

The brother from the family was either working for or contacted and began working for some nefarious group eager to a recover/aquire combat data about the virus. They presumably built the lab in secret and left him in charge. It had already been quite some time since the wreck before Ethan stumbled in to the situation.

Thanks. The old combat data trick, eh? That's how they get you.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
It is always about combat data. In fact, I'm sure Resident Evil was the first place I heard the term. That or Front Mission.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Now that we know Nemesis is weak to a railgun in the face we can... program... the next Nemesis with our... observation that it’s weak to a railgun?

COMBAT DATA

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nicolai: I collected some combat data from the incident at raccoon city. your billion dollar unstoppable assassin was in fact stopped by a single woman. That will be $100 million dollars please.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Look, one day they are going to put all that combat data to use. Once they get the pipelines sorted out you'll see what an amazing pace Umbrella's Developers have been working at behind the scenes. Everything we have seen so far is only a tier 0 implementation and its early days yet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I wish COMBAT DATA was actually just joke but nah

The military buys bodies and straps bombs to them for COMBAT DATA

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49198405

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Zushio posted:

Look, one day they are going to put all that combat data to use. Once they get the pipelines sorted out you'll see what an amazing pace Umbrella's Developers have been working at behind the scenes. Everything we have seen so far is only a tier 0 implementation and its early days yet.

True, it is the most ambitious bioweapon ever attempted and/or crowdfunded. And they had to basically build the company from scratch after the Nemesis kickstarter. They just need to refactor the t-virus meshing a few more times.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Backer tiers that essentially just award you a .jpeg of a planned future bioweapon monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Some interesting stuff about the Alien AI from Alien Isolation in this video. There is also another video that explains stuff as well. I really enjoyed watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7d5lF6U0eQ