Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

So does the chat display "& quot ;" because their chat can't display " ?

Because if so :laffo:

It’s been broken like that for years(?) a long rear end time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

sebmojo posted:

there have been a bunch of people making genuine good faith efforts to engage with the fun and interesting gameplay of star citizen which is similar to making a genuine attempt to eat a cloud

Tried it, it was hugely unintuitive. Its PlayStation home with 4K textures.

They successfully made a game where the only fun thing to do is dream about it, buy ships, and walk around nice looking levels that ultimately don't have any gameplay value.

They're far too large, you feel alone except for random npcs doing something or glitching or starting at a word on a wall.

I think the best way to describe the gameplay is "a slog" when it's working, "unintuitive and confusing" when you're trying to do something other than walking around, and ultimately "badly designed" because it doesn't feel like it's any fun.

The first section is pretty cool, in your overly detailed wank pod. You can open any drawers and toilets, but can't seem to interact with anything. Whatever your avatar is standing near though is what will activate, not the thing under your mouse cursor.

The level of interactivity drops to near zero once you get out. Somethings you can sit on, but mostly after you leave that area the only interactive items is video screens to buy stuff or get your ships somehow.

The NPCs aren't interactive, or it's random. A greeter could be interacted with but nothing was subtitled so I'm not sure what was happening but she was probably talking. The store owners couldn't be except for one guy at a delivery station I think.

You can but a bottle of drink and cat it around, but you had to eat your food right away because you couldn't walk with it apparently.

The flight model is on par with moving a model in a 3D program effectively.

The part you figured would be the most mature, the space aspect of Star Citizen, feels rushed and hastily tacked in. Like it's more or less a cutscene between the places you can walk around in. All the time and energy on this game is very clearly going into the levels. Ships can be considered levels, too, but the actual operation of them would be better if it was one of those automatic trains rather than trying to interact with it.

The DCS-like they are doing will be terrible, because there are far more buttons on the screen than they can even think of what to do. Most of them don't work or make sense. Randomly clicking around will soon have your girl ejecting into the atmosphere.

I guess if you likes PlayStation home, and didn't mind the "game" being a place to buy stuff and pretend to interact with a few people at a time possibly, then you might find this game fun. But you'll need to stay on the ground and not go into space, because the ground side is where all the money and effort is going.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 24, 2020

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

I refuse to believe this isn't some form of advanced parody but lmaoooo

emphasis mine

:lol:

Here, take my money so that future generations will be able to play this video game for children. I am not worthy to see it in my lifetime.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

When our dark lords Derek Smart and Andrew Wilson order us to unleash the massive goon botnet and sock puppet swarm, who are we to disobey?

Maybe don't harass people over a liking video game for kids. People can like stuff you don't like. Talk about that thing you both disagree about, but don't harass people over it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Gotta sanitize that data before it gets into the database and results in smeg!

Using sql with encoded variables in your code for their inserts is far harder to figure than just concatenating these lines into a statement.

Of course one of these methods is a good paradigm to prevent sql injection in parts of your code, and the other is a bad habit that results in weird results as displayed.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
If you expect their chat program to display text strings correctly, then you clearly don't understand game development

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MarcusSA posted:

It’s been broken like that for years& bracket & questionmark & bracket a long rear end time.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

tier 0 ascii implementation

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Paul Zuvella posted:

Whatever happened to the single player game that was supposed to come out 4 years ago

Unfortunately it was designed in such a way that it requires the technology of its multi-player sister-project to work.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Huh. So I noticed the launcher doesn't close when you close it but it stays active and even puts itself on the taskbar. Why would a launcher for a video game need to do that?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So, I was in the middle of posting a super-good and insightful post in reddit when I clicked on my profile to open a new tab to see if anybody had replied to a previous comment. Then, when I finished my post (which took like 20 secs) I opened a new tab 'cuz I forgot I had done it before.

Anyway, I checked the first tab and the first page of my comments had like 1 or 2 upvotes each (by default they have 1). Then I checked the tab that was opened 20 seconds later and they had all switched to -5 to -7.

:laffo:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dementropy posted:

:reddit:: I've been harassed a few times as well, one got to the point where the Reddit admins got involved. I've been PMed by someone telling me to kill myself. I've been vilified as all kinds of pejoratives like white knight, cultist, sycophant, boomer, shill, etc. all because I disagreed with someone.

:sympathy:: Man...that's the poo poo that is the real problem here too. I am in the same boat. I have been harassed and brigaded endlessly. Villified in the same way as you all because I enjoy a game and refuse to criticise CIG over things they don't deserve criticism for. Hell...I have evidence of some users following me into other subs and harrassing me. One of them decided it was wise to mock me in a PM regarding my experience of [redacted].

Let's face it, we know that the majority of these people are from the /refunds sub and SomethingAweful. These people have no interest in anything but seeing the project fail. They troll, brigade and harass while the mods do nothing about it. It makes this sub look like it's toxic when it really isn't. Anybody who starts tagging users using RES would see what I mean. It's always the same people using the same tired and disproven arguments that are creating drama and stirring up FUD in this sub.

:reddit:: I know for a fact that one of the people who keeps harassing you is the one where the Reddit admins got involved.

It's kind of worrying how am I able to identify like half a dozen of these idiots just by the way they post. (not that it's hard).

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

trucutru posted:

SomethingAweful.

Lowtax! Let's change the name! Aweful is much better than Awful!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

MarcusSA posted:

It’s been broken like that for years(?) a long rear end time.

Like, I had to work at it (by adding spaces) to even get it to show up that way here.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUYJEwI82WQ

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

HTML entity translation between communication layers is hard. It's not like there are ready-made input sanitisation and translation schemes to deal with this.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The Titanic posted:

Huh. So I noticed the launcher doesn't close when you close it but it stays active and even puts itself on the taskbar. Why would a launcher for a video game need to do that?

Yeah, noticed that clusterfuck. Walked away for awhile, game crashed. Asked for crash report comments.

Meanwhile launcher has some giant error poo poo in red.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

It is free, you don't have to buy anything. Commercial company offering products for sale: totally unbelievable and chocking.

I login in and out without issues...The shitshow concern a fraction of people (which is unfortunate and always not satisfying). CIG is investigating issue... Like multi-billion $ company like EA messed up during days if not a full week launch of triple-A despite close to unlimited resource.
Oh well, CIG is evil.

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 24, 2020

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Mirificus posted:

It is free, you don't have to buy anything. Commercial company offering products for sale: totally unbelievable and chocking.

I login in and out without issues...The shitshow concern a fraction of people (which is unfortunate and always not satisfying). CIG is investigating issue... Like multi-billion $ company like EA messed up during days if not a full week launch of triple-A despite close to unlimited resource.
Oh well, CIG is evil.

Store Citizer: Commercial company offering products for sale: totally unbelievable and chocking

Store Citizer: unfortunate and always not satisfying

I'm going to keep doing these until I win and get one as the thread title.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Store Citizer: Commercial company offering products for sale: totally unbelievable and chocking

Store Citizer: unfortunate and always not satisfying

I'm going to keep doing these until I win and get one as the thread title.

Not if my wit has any say on it!

Star Citizer: it's bad

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

trucutru posted:

Not if my wit has any say on it!

Star Citizer: it's bad

Cite your sources!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

so i know that star citizen has been vaporware bullshit, and even if roberts' intentions are 100% genuine he has no ability to deliver from where they're at now... but i always thought the "they're selling jpegs of ships" was because you could buy ships that couldn't really do anything, but it appears... you can buy ships that literally don't exist anywhere outside of jpeg form and probably won't for years???? i have to ask if i'm misunderstanding something i saw or if it's actually that loving stupid.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That is correct. It's extremely postmodern.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

so i know that star citizen has been vaporware bullshit, and even if roberts' intentions are 100% genuine he has no ability to deliver from where they're at now... but i always thought the "they're selling jpegs of ships" was because you could buy ships that couldn't really do anything, but it appears... you can buy ships that literally don't exist anywhere outside of jpeg form and probably won't for years???? i have to ask if i'm misunderstanding something i saw or if it's actually that loving stupid.

no, see

you're helping to fund development. not buying a ship

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

I agree, it is not good for it but not a major issue. However I don't agree on your vision: one attempt and never come back again. You don't download 50Gb to throw them away because login problem. I consider that people taking the time to get in, for test purposes, do understand alpha and flow of many players. At worst, some may decide to try at next free week or wait for beta. They are not lost forever but will join over time.
Otherwise they were not interested at all by space game like SC and never had the slighest intention to get in unless it is full time free.

Of course, no login trouble at all would have been better.

quote:

Many new career needs Icache and persistence, salvage being the most demanding. SQ42 do have the priority, which is more than mandatory indeed to demonstrate CIG is able to deliver not only SQ42 but SC as well.

In the meantime we got network, interface and smaller gameplay improvement. As long CIG do take the time to make others jobs as good as mining is, this is worst the wait. Trust me, I do love to get my hands on salvage.

quote:

Or not. knowing how industry is looking at games, we can see more and more "space" games. Most are either terrible, bad or serviceable. Others like ED, EVE, NMS are good in their own genre but none are close to SC and SQ42 scope.

I expect industry to use one of their top game, like COD or BF and to throw them in space. Exactly what they have done with Star Wars Battlefront. Except that SWB is a franchise with little to do beside replicating ship and troop skins. Again they proved to be unable to innovate.

Anything trying to copy CIG scope will require Finance boards to valid >massive< development expenses over many years. In the meantime, CIG keep making progress and is closer every quarter of SQ42 beta, hence release allowing SC to get more love (aka contents and gameplay) and stability.

Last point, this is good for gamer to have more choice. I will be more than happy to spend over years the equivalent of few starter packages on others production. I will probably get Starfield (after a year or two of modding because we know Bethesda) while supporting SC.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

So... many... choices... for... thread... titles... Must... resist... :argh:

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Jonny Shiloh posted:

So... many... choices... for... thread... titles... Must... resist... :argh:

gently caress it

Store Citizer: I agree, it is not good

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
fresh from twitch and streamers trying to fly ships...

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrazyAggressiveCiderHotPokket

:tif:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Beet Wagon posted:

it’s not like we didn’t sign up knowing this game will not be done in our lifetimes.

emphasis mine

I also refuse to believe it’s not parody, but something to that effect is a good thread title.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

sleepwalkers posted:

It's even more stupid because not only don't those ships exist outside of jpeg form and probably won't for years but there is also no guarantee that the ship will ever do what it was supposed to do.

All sales are final.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

trucutru posted:

but there is also no guarantee that the ship will ever do what it was supposed to do.

It does exactly what it is supposed to do. Extract money from people. It excels at it.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

sleepwalkers posted:

Getting a list of flyable ships was surprisingly hard, so this list might be slightly out of date in places. Also the prices change from time to time (mostly going up).

List of ships CIG has sold but are only in concept stage (not in game yet).
  • MISC Hull A $60
  • MISC Hull B $90
  • Vulcan $200
  • Drake Corsair $215
  • Mercury Star Runner $225
  • MISC Hull C $250
  • Apollo Triage $250
  • Banu Merchantman $350
  • MISC Hull D $350
  • Endeavor $350
  • Crucible $350
  • Hercules Starlifter $360
  • Genesis Starliner $400
  • Orion $575
  • MISC Hull E $650
  • Polaris $750
  • Nautilus $725
  • Pioneer $850
  • Idris-M $1,000*
  • Idris-P $1,500*
  • Drake Kraken $1,650
  • Drake Kraken Privateer $2,000
  • Javelin $3,000*
*exterior model exists, completeness of interior unknown.

(I've probably even missed a few)

Most of these ships exist as nothing more than a JPEG of concept art.

Even the professions that would go with these ships aren't in the game yet.

In this list is the Pioneer ($850) a construction ship (construction not in game) that will build personal bases (personal bases not in game) on player's "land claim" territory (land claim is not in game).

This is all good and normal for video games. I regularly buy vaporware DLC that costs more than my rent...

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Beet Wagon posted:

quote:

it’s not like we didn’t sign up knowing this game will not be done in our lifetimes.

emphasis mine

I remember back in 2015 saying that I didn't see the game coming out until after 2020 and getting downvoted to oblivion and called a troll...

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Not every expert on r/starcitizen is a game developer. One guy is an expert on Amazon's AWS and tries to explain to the great unwashed what he thinks happened to cause "The Event"

Didn't take long for some Citizens to put their heads together, build a shed, and start pointing the finger in Amazon's direction. Others point at CIG.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/gpvdqf/cigs_server_woes_probably_a_tale_of_aws_account/

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Dooguk posted:

what he thinks happened to cause "The Event"

As an expert in FUD this is my take

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Lifetime Insurance scam.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Pixelate posted:

As an expert in FUD this is my take

not quite but almost

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

:lol: they made negative progress on weapon models.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What does negative progress even mean? Someone added a bug to the source code knowingly or they deleted a a few function calls and no one can figure out how to revert the changes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

What does negative progress even mean? Someone added a bug to the source code knowingly or they deleted a a few function calls and no one can figure out how to revert the changes?

I would assume refactoring.