Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I just saw this so you have to as well:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Paperhouse posted:

I'm pretty out of the loop

Is this story really as big a deal as it seems right now based on the thread?

I didn't think people would be that mad about DomCum flouting the guidelines, I thought loads of people were already doing that anyway

Lots of people are following the guidelines at great personal cost and they're cross.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Necrothatcher posted:

please please please, we shouldn't lower ourselves with incorrect gossip

he hosed the pig in oxford, not eton
:lol:

Fair play, I'm mixing things up with Wellington's attributed famous quote; "The pig was hosed on the playing fields of Eton"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm also not sure it's just going to be a universal "well we're all going to go outside now" response because a lot of people are keeping distance because they personally believe it's important for their own safety.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Pretty sure these ghouls are going to brazen this out. I'd be happy to be proved wrong

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Lots of people are following the guidelines at great personal cost and they're cross.

i think people are going to get really angry soon, nevermind when the second spike hits

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

biglads posted:

Pretty sure these ghouls are going to brazen this out. I'd be happy to be proved wrong

It's interesting because it didn't surprise me in the slightest but I phoned my ma earlier and she was livid about it and she generally doesn't pay much attention to politics. I think it's a big deal for people who still somehow have a modicum of faith/trust in the government

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Paperhouse posted:

I didn't think people would be that mad about DomCum flouting the guidelines, I thought loads of people were already doing that anyway

Whilst loads of people have in raw numbers, proportionally it wasn't that much of the country - a far greater proportion seemed to genuinely make an effort to follow the guidelines, WFH or be furloughed, only go out when it's essential, etc. An awful, awful lot of people have gone through some degree of hardship in the last couple of months, and granted a lot of those people have suffered nothing more than some boredom and cabin fever - but there's also a lot of people who cancelled weddings, couldn't attend funerals and/or had to say goodbye to a dying person online instead of in person (And by implication had to let loved ones die without friends or family around), had major and long-planned events like a dissertation defense or moving house or the like disrupted, and have missed more modest but still personally meaningful events like the grandkid's tenth birthday and whatnot.

This has definitely gone far beyond the thread and similar places like the Drowned in Sound negaverse thread, and even Twitter. Dom Cum is getting heckled in the street by regular folks.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Paperhouse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Auq9mYxFEE

Sky News Live.
I know they are poo poo, but its a good indicator whats being beamed into people's rooms right now.
It's been constant on it since it happened.
And they are slagging Boris to hell and back.

All flouting the rules are scumbags.
Dom is worse as he made up the rules.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like if this is some master plan to make people ignore the lockdown I don't think it's going to work very well because they've done a very good job of making a lot of people think the lockdown is important, in part by killing fifty thousand people.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
#booforboris is trending with lots of suggestions of replacing the poo poo clap with an organised boo

lol i've never seen this

https://twitter.com/JaneyGodley/status/1180909924341211136?s=20

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/luke_duff/status/1264645503687503878?s=20

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Like if this is some master plan to make people ignore the lockdown I don't think it's going to work very well because they've done a very good job of making a lot of people think the lockdown is important, in part by killing fifty thousand people.

There’s also the nhs imploding. They can’t ignore that. The problem wasn’t capacity, it was staff. They can’t just fill every bed and ignore it. We simply don’t have the doctors and nurses. The nhs would collapse and people would notice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As others have noted I think this is still them trying to media manage their way out of an actual problem. And they can't. Like they can mitigate damage here and there but they can't actually maintain the situation they want to.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

poo poo loads of people missed their kids being born, learning to walk, learning to talk, etc, and missed grandparents dying of rona, passing away, big milestone birthdays, funerals, etc. Then you find out the guy making the rules decides he doesn't need to follow them?

This is really upset a lot of people, boris's "it was for his kids!!!" just doesn't cut it when other people have been in the same situation and were isolating, rather than driving 260 miles to visit at risk, elderly relatives.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/harrytlambert/status/1264650700883136514?s=19

Um.... I don't think this is the defence you think it is

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
He seems like the kind of bloke who got bounced on an uncle's knee well into his teens imo :/

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

with a 4-year-old in the back?

You calling me a Tory?

No, I don't have kids, but when I was little we'd do London to Wincanton and back as a day trip - in my dad's lovely Lada that was easily over 4 hours each way, non-stop (shittiness of Lada permitting). We'd also do London to Cornwall in one hit, although my parents were smart enough then to leave at like 2am to "beat the traffic", but actually so we'd be asleep most of the way.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I thought Necrothatcher was younger than that

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The Perfect Element posted:

So this must all have to do with the fact that Johnson and the rest of the cabinet was aware of what Cummings was doing at the time, and at best tacitly endorsed it.

They've so far studiously ignored the questions about how much they knew, and when, while frantically painting what he did as heroic. They can't get him to resign, because they are all complicit. However, they also can't admit to knowing, because they are complicit.

My guess is that there will be some new revelation which will tip the scales towards sacking / resignation, and then there will be a desperate struggle for plausible deniability within the cabinet.

It may be that there IS no plausible deniability, for any of his actions, and then... Well, God knows.

I'm willing to bet there's more than one minister who's had to make similarly "brave" choices, plus Boris recuperating at Chequers and I don't think anybody believes he's actually staying in Number 10 every night.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

https://twitter.com/harrytlambert/status/1264650700883136514?s=19

Um.... I don't think this is the defence you think it is

lol why on earth would you mention that, even if it wasn't the reason he went up there

how did the master spin wizard forget to tell his parents not to talk to journalists

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Amazing ratio on a story that was supposed to build sympathy for him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/spacebar69/status/1264656206670553088?s=21

lmao, holy poo poo.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1264660059222573057

when the Heil is sticking the boot in

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
Maybe we underestimated big brain Cummies. If this was all a ploy to re-unite the country after Brexit, it’s worked perfectly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What's a svengali?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Just spoke to my neighbour who said her friends in Durham had spotted him out and about a total of 4 times

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

And at the top, touting pseudoscience cures at the same time!
Tabloids being tabloids

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

What's a svengali?

It's a polite term for a Harvey Weinstein.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Yeah I don't think this is just going to go away like they want to. If Boris doesn't sack him people will then turn their rage towards BoJo and he'll gently caress himself politically. It's pretty perplexing given the fact that Boris can weather most storms and come out unscathed. Cummings must have some serious dirt on him.

Is there a Conservative Cabinet leaving in disgrace/sacked pool here because good lord they just can't help themselves. It seems like months ago Conor Burns resigned over fraud. I'm willing to put some money on Dominic Goings.

Necrothatcher posted:

I just saw this so you have to as well:

Welp this is now in my brain forever

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Cummings must have some serious dirt on him.

How about its more likely is that he's the only one he trusts.
The rest would gladly stab him in the front if they could take over.
Cummings is keeping them all at bay with his Malcolm Tucker Darth Pilkington routine.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Pretty pleased with my thread title contribution, think it's only my second or third in a loving decade of posting in this cess pit.

Love you guys.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

So Dom Cummings' excuse is that he needed to find appropriate childcare, right?

Should the senior advisor to the PM be able to make some phonecalls and sort something out? I mean, the guy's best friend is literally the PM, surely they could find a babysitter or a way to get him to Durham without Dom going? Can't they bung him in an RAF chopper or something?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

OwlFancier posted:

What's a svengali?

A controlling individual who dominates and manipulates another for their own ends. Named after a character in du Maurier's Trilby.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

https://twitter.com/Dempster2000/status/1264661519083716608

lmao. worst paper you know makes a good point

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's odd that the right wing papers were talking about Johnson's illness/recovery like he was the loving second coming just a few weeks ago. Now they're acting like they've been waiting ages for the chance to stick the knives in.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

OwlFancier posted:

What's a svengali?

a person, almost always a man, who uses uncommonly skillful and occasionally (in fictional tales) supernatural influence to exert total control over another, usually to their apparent gain but eventual ruination. occasionally (well, more than occasionally) has unfortunate racial undertones especially since the original Svengali tale was contemporary with Rasputin, but in this case is perhaps appropriate because the original Svengali abused the Irish

Wormtongue from LOTR is an archetypical svengali, given that very few people know or care about the 1895 novel "Trilby"

edit: beaten by looking things up and not refreshing

Crion fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 24, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

stev posted:

It's odd that the right wing papers were talking about Johnson's illness/recovery like he was the loving second coming just a few weeks ago. Now they're acting like they've been waiting ages for the chance to stick the knives in.

They have. They always have. The only thing better for them than a hero is a hero you get to slay afterwards.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

You could just do what I would do and only be a poo poo to someone you'd be willing to take responsibility for the death of.

I meant more the bootlicker jabbering on about causing Boris's death being someone I might have dunked on but am not trying to be better. While I mostly agree with that, the problem is that I want everyone to be less of a oval office to strangers and "being willing to take responsibility for the death of" is an alarmingly low barrier online.

I just got really hit hard by this young woman not even in her prime yet offing herself because of horrendous people and my only conclusion was "we need to better" & I guess that has to start with me. Perhaps a liberal outlook but :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

happyhippy posted:

How about its more likely is that he's the only one he trusts.
The rest would gladly stab him in the front if they could take over.
Cummings is keeping them all at bay with his Malcolm Tucker Darth Pilkington routine.

If that's the case Boris needs to have a long think about if he's worth it. The ragsheets will turn on him and then what? It's political suicide to not sack him. He's hosed.