Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
I understand Monsters and Other Childish Things is pretty all right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Countblanc posted:

what systems would people recommend for a Pokemon game (either literally pokemon or a more generic monster/buddy theme)? i know that's pretty broad but the only systems i know of that are explicitly designed for something like that are a really lovely BESM spin-off and the PTU system which is probably more crunch than people would be interested in trying.

same question for something Avatar: TLA-ish. for this i'd like something closer to PbtA levels of depth, but most of the PbtA style systems I've tried tend to operate on a much smaller power level than what skilled benders are shown to be able to do with relative ease - compared to something like putting a ritual together for a big magic spell. i think PbtA would be a good fit in terms of the openness it offers for describing how you interact with the world versus something like a spell list of "Water Whip", "Water Healing", etc., but of the few I've played i don't think the various playbooks offered would really work well at that power level.

iirc this http://apocalypse-world.com/pbta/games/title/Legend_of_the_Elements evolved out of a Korra AW hack, but I haven't played it and can't vouch for it.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Countblanc posted:

what systems would people recommend for a Pokemon game (either literally pokemon or a more generic monster/buddy theme)? i know that's pretty broad but the only systems i know of that are explicitly designed for something like that are a really lovely BESM spin-off and the PTU system which is probably more crunch than people would be interested in trying.

same question for something Avatar: TLA-ish. for this i'd like something closer to PbtA levels of depth, but most of the PbtA style systems I've tried tend to operate on a much smaller power level than what skilled benders are shown to be able to do with relative ease - compared to something like putting a ritual together for a big magic spell. i think PbtA would be a good fit in terms of the openness it offers for describing how you interact with the world versus something like a spell list of "Water Whip", "Water Healing", etc., but of the few I've played i don't think the various playbooks offered would really work well at that power level.

Pokemon is tough. You and I both like the competitive battle side of it, which is hard to reproduce without it being like "why don't I just go on Pokemon Showdown?" And if you don't want that level of detail, then it's hard to see how to make the differences between hundreds of monsters matter. And if you're not having hundreds of them, then you're ditching the whole "gotta catch em all!" side of things.

I have some vague ideas for how I'd design one from scratch, but I've already got too many unfinished projects to start a new one.

And you already know I'd just be using Strike! for Avatar with lots of reskinning.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll take a look over the next day or so!

Jimbozig posted:

Pokemon is tough. You and I both like the competitive battle side of it, which is hard to reproduce without it being like "why don't I just go on Pokemon Showdown?" And if you don't want that level of detail, then it's hard to see how to make the differences between hundreds of monsters matter. And if you're not having hundreds of them, then you're ditching the whole "gotta catch em all!" side of things.

I have some vague ideas for how I'd design one from scratch, but I've already got too many unfinished projects to start a new one.

And you already know I'd just be using Strike! for Avatar with lots of reskinning.

yeah, plus the people I'd probably be playing with are something of a mix of Showdown dweebs and... whatever the opposite of that is. Pokemon Tabletop United would be a great fit for the first group since it basically just seeks to emulate the games on every level mechanically, down to EVs being something to care about, but that's a lot to ask of the other people to get invested in. Plus PTU assumes you'll be playing with a very small group and I'm not sure that's the case here.

Strike was a consideration for Avatar, but I'm already playing in a Strike game right now so that itch is scratched.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Strike was a consideration for Avatar, but I'm already playing in a Strike game right now so that itch is scratched.

I might suggest Anima Prime, with a couple caveats.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jimbozig posted:

Part of why I've suggested that "Mon" franchises like Digimon or Medarot would work better for this kind of thing, since it's easier to make it work with just a single dedicated partner monster

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Countblanc posted:

thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll take a look over the next day or so!

yeah, plus the people I'd probably be playing with are something of a mix of Showdown dweebs and... whatever the opposite of that is. Pokemon Tabletop United would be a great fit for the first group since it basically just seeks to emulate the games on every level mechanically, down to EVs being something to care about, but that's a lot to ask of the other people to get invested in. Plus PTU assumes you'll be playing with a very small group and I'm not sure that's the case here.

PTU doesn't care about EVs, though?

Like, that's never been a thing PTU has done.

I'm not going to pretend that it's a system that doesn't follow the established media way too hard and wouldn't definitely benefit from a whole whole lot of trimming, but whenever I see PTU brought up here, it's in the context of things like this that aren't even true.

Anyway best rules light pokemon system is probably Pokethulhu.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

drrockso20 posted:

Part of why I've suggested that "Mon" franchises like Digimon or Medarot would work better for this kind of thing, since it's easier to make it work with just a single dedicated partner monster

Yeah, that absolutely is easier to design around by far.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Leraika posted:

PTU doesn't care about EVs, though?

Like, that's never been a thing PTU has done.

I'm not going to pretend that it's a system that doesn't follow the established media way too hard and wouldn't definitely benefit from a whole whole lot of trimming, but whenever I see PTU brought up here, it's in the context of things like this that aren't even true.

Anyway best rules light pokemon system is probably Pokethulhu.

Sorry you're right, what I was thinking of was the system that lets you assign stat points. Which do function similarly to EVs in a battle sim way but no it's not exactly the same thing (notably you just get them from leveling, not fighting specific things).

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

can’t believe you guys aren’t doing the simple and obvious thing: run a D&D 3.x game where everyone plays commoners who get Leadership as a bonus feat every other level (design the Pokémon as monstrous cohorts)

bing bong

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I think the hard thing about running a Pokémon game is that the video games are designed to be played by a single player, and the premise of having a stable of monsters you throw out to fight with exists to add variety to a single-player experience. In a game with multiple PCs, each one having a stable of monsters is going to add way more complexity than you want or need.

So my advice would be to change the premise: the PCs are monsters who are in the stable of an NPC trainer, and although in theory the trainer calls the shots, in practice the PCs are Jeeves to his Bertie Wooster.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
You could also copy the anime rather than the games, where generally most characters have one or two pokemon they use who grow in power/evolve over a season.

In conclusion: run Pokemon in Fate.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Whybird posted:

I think the hard thing about running a Pokémon game is that the video games are designed to be played by a single player, and the premise of having a stable of monsters you throw out to fight with exists to add variety to a single-player experience. In a game with multiple PCs, each one having a stable of monsters is going to add way more complexity than you want or need.

So my advice would be to change the premise: the PCs are monsters who are in the stable of an NPC trainer, and although in theory the trainer calls the shots, in practice the PCs are Jeeves to his Bertie Wooster.

Hence why I suggest Digimon instead, that does multi people fights more often

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Whybird posted:

This sounds like a Maid hack.

(Which I would be in full support of, to be clear.)

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I've been playing in a Pokemon game that was using Pokemon Tabletop United until we hit the point where any battle was taking forever and the lack of decent GMing advice made it difficult for the GM to construct encounters that were a comfortable level of challenging. We're looking to switch systems, so I've been using Fate and putting the monster rules from How To Train Your Mutant Fire Dog into Fate Condensed. Giving Pokemon fairly small stress tracks and limited consequences, so if a PC wants a Pokemon to stick around longer-term they'll need to be using their own Stress and Consequences, seems to be working okay in what I've run of testing so far, but I also haven't tried "what if players have 6 Pokemon?" yet so I can't judge how well that works. I've been using Fate Accelerated approaches for the Pokemon rather than coming up with skills, and made it so each player picks a single approach to be +3 for all their Pokemon so they can't get easy access to the best numbers on any roll they need just by having a bunch of Pokemon.

I've run and played in a bunch of Pokemon RP campaigns over the years, and the ones that went smoothest have used some flavour of Fate or another, but I can't say how much of that is anything specific to Fate vs other things the various groups tried just not working out as well.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

potatocubed posted:

This sounds like a Maid hack.

(Which I would be in full support of, to be clear.)

Or My Life With Master.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Countblanc posted:

Pokethulhu

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
nthing Pokethulhu. Sure, it's a parody game, but you can just strip out the cosmic horror(-comedy) and deliberate meanness and replace it with regular Pokemon stuff.

UnCO3 posted:

I've just published another game: Four Colour-Apocrypha, a world-building game of doubt, confusion, and storytelling against the unknown! [snip]

It's on sale at 33% OFF for the next few days.
In other news, I got some advice from some people about the layout and aesthetics of this and made some minor-to-moderate changes that should make it more accessible (lower-saturation colours, no big colour blocks, better margins, more consistent iconography to help signpost parts of the game, etc.). It wasn't full-CMYK in the first version, but it wasn't great either (the perils of doing layout overnight I guess).

Thanks to those who've already bought it through here! If you want a text that's easier on the eyes, you can grab the v1.1 files for free as of now.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: New blog post for The Next Project (my D&D-inspired RPG) is up!

In today's post I look at updating the mechanics for Reserves -- functionally the design space of 4e's healing surges or 5e's hit dice (to a lesser extent) -- in order to hopefully streamline some of the math, and also to bring things in line with the new design ethos surrounding class dice (specifically, that most classes will now use 2 instead of just 1.)

As always, if you have any ideas/comments/suggestions, all somethingawful forum goons are welcome to join the TNP Discord server, so feel free to hit me up over there, or just post here :)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Quick q: a guy in my group likes L5R's setting but hates the ruleset and would prefer to play it in something, well, modern. Is there a good hack of it into BitD or PBTA or something?

(I don't know the setting at all other than that it's weebish)

UnCO3 posted:

nthing Pokethulhu. Sure, it's a parody game, but you can just strip out the cosmic horror(-comedy) and deliberate meanness and replace it with regular Pokemon stuff.
In other news, I got some advice from some people about the layout and aesthetics of this and made some minor-to-moderate changes that should make it more accessible (lower-saturation colours, no big colour blocks, better margins, more consistent iconography to help signpost parts of the game, etc.). It wasn't full-CMYK in the first version, but it wasn't great either (the perils of doing layout overnight I guess).

Thanks to those who've already bought it through here! If you want a text that's easier on the eyes, you can grab the v1.1 files for free as of now.

Ey congrats!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tulip posted:

Quick q: a guy in my group likes L5R's setting but hates the ruleset and would prefer to play it in something, well, modern. Is there a good hack of it into BitD or PBTA or something?

(I don't know the setting at all other than that it's weebish)

Ey congrats!

it has plenty of support for D&D 3e!!!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have a curiosity about World of Darkness - I know that eventually there was a book about mummies that was published for it, and I want to know more about that:

* what were their powers/abilities?
* what was their relationship to vampires?
* how did one become a mummy?
* if one were playing a mummy (or a party of mummies?), what would you do? what kind of goals might you pursue, or what kind of character development might you want?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have a curiosity about World of Darkness - I know that eventually there was a book about mummies that was published for it, and I want to know more about that:

* if one were playing a mummy (or a party of mummies?), what would you do? what kind of goals might you pursue, or what kind of character development might you want?

there are like three different kinds of mummies. do you mean vampire the masquerade or vampire the requiem, as a starting point

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

gradenko_2000 posted:

*Bad.
*Bad.
*Making one at character creation.
*Conquering empires and reclaiming stolen heritage and relics to return them to their rightful cultures.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

there are like three different kinds of mummies. do you mean vampire the masquerade or vampire the requiem, as a starting point

Vampire the Masquerade is the one I've played before I'm pretty sure

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

There were three mummy games, one for the oWoD released as a VTM supplement called World of Darkness: Mummy, one for the oWoD released as Mummy: the Resurrection, and one for the nWoD called Mummy: the Curse.

The Vampire supplement one was about being ancient immortal mummies who conspire and fight evil mummy counterparts called "bane mummies" who serve the bad guy from Werewolf. The mummies call it Apophis instead of the Wyrm but it was clearly a new coat of paint over an old bad guy. I think the Followers of Set had an antagonistic role in their history by killing their progenitor or something? and there was a bloodline of penitent vampires loyal to the progenitor and his good ideals.

The later Mummy: the Resurrection was about being modern people who had hamartia-weakened souls that got filled in by joining with the soul of one of the old mummies, because the old mummies all got metaplotted dead or somesuch? Or at least many of them. They do the same thing as the old mummies but they do it pretty much exclusively in the Middle East because if they leave the "Web of Faith" they basically can't refill their Mummy Points, and they do it less effectively because the old mummies were built with extra points for being immortal and old and powerful and these are just regular new player characters.

I am currently away from my books so the above is very rough from memory.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

AFAIK every single iteration of mummy is bad - the mummy that corresponds to VtM very infamously has entire paragraphs copied and pasted right next to each other. Just incredibly sloppy work.
AFAIK every single iteration of mummy is bad - the mummy that corresponds to VtM very infamously has entire paragraphs copied and pasted right next to each other. Just incredibly sloppy work.

That said the new Mummy has some insane thing where you continuously get less powerful, but you awaken whenever your cultists need you and you do not experience that in linear time i.e. session 1 happens in time after session 2, but you experience 1 first.

If you want to play a shambling powerful horror whose very existence is a mockery of all that lives, Promethean 2nd ed is incredibly loving good.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Everything I hear about Mummy: The Curse is that it has some really cool ideas, some really broken powers, doesn't really fit with the rest of the (Chronicles of Darkness) setting, doesn't have a good book loadout, and is still the best Mummy to play yet.

It has a core gameplay loop of RETURN THE SLAB OR SUFFER MY CURSE, but it's really poorly organized for having multiple players and the way characters' power slopes off rapidly every time they wake up is a cool premise but doesn't seem to work that well in practice.

You could definitely make a good thing out of it but frankly I'd go ask the Legacy devs to design a 'you are ancient cults and their awakening mummy servitors' Legacy game. Aw drat now I want that.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't know anything about mummies from the old World of Darkness. In the new one, now called "Chronicles of Darkness", mummies are immortal servants of underworld gods whose job it is to protect and occasionally retrieve the magical relics of the ancient empire that created them. They spend most of their time asleep, wake up when their tombs are invaded or their cult deliberately rouses them or something, and are actually super strong and inhuman out the gate but ebb in strength until they're barely more than mortal when their time's almost up.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Oh, an important part of New Mummy is that when they first wake up, they have almost no memories or individuality, they're just ancient undead terminators with incredible power. They get weaker precisely to the degree they recover their sense of self and personal desires, iirc.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Everything I hear about Mummy: The Curse is that it has some really cool ideas, some really broken powers, doesn't really fit with the rest of the (Chronicles of Darkness) setting, doesn't have a good book loadout, and is still the best Mummy to play yet.

It has a core gameplay loop of RETURN THE SLAB OR SUFFER MY CURSE, but it's really poorly organized for having multiple players and the way characters' power slopes off rapidly every time they wake up is a cool premise but doesn't seem to work that well in practice.

You could definitely make a good thing out of it but frankly I'd go ask the Legacy devs to design a 'you are ancient cults and their awakening mummy servitors' Legacy game. Aw drat now I want that.

nu Mummy feels very much like it's meant more for one-off adventures with/against some other monster splats or hunters, like a lot of those edge case monsters and supernaturals they slide into the peripheral of Chronicles of Darkness. It has a fascinating mythology and the power curve of it is interesting, but like you said doing a group campaign of Mummy does not seem like it'd be rewarding or fun without forcing it into something like an Ars Magica structure where one person plays an awakened mummy and everyone else plays their helper cultists for that session or something.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Tulip posted:

If you want to play a shambling powerful horror whose very existence is a mockery of all that lives
Look, friend, I play RPGs in order to get away from my real life.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

FMguru posted:

Look, friend, I play RPGs in order to get away from my real life.

Promethean is the best game for getting away from real life, because Prometheans, above all else, believe that life is good and a human is a worthwhile and valuable thing to be.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

I Am Just a Box posted:

There were three mummy games, one for the oWoD released as a VTM supplement called World of Darkness: Mummy, one for the oWoD released as Mummy: the Resurrection, and one for the nWoD called Mummy: the Curse.

The Vampire supplement one was about being ancient immortal mummies who conspire and fight evil mummy counterparts called "bane mummies" who serve the bad guy from Werewolf. The mummies call it Apophis instead of the Wyrm but it was clearly a new coat of paint over an old bad guy. I think the Followers of Set had an antagonistic role in their history by killing their progenitor or something? and there was a bloodline of penitent vampires loyal to the progenitor and his good ideals.

The later Mummy: the Resurrection was about being modern people who had hamartia-weakened souls that got filled in by joining with the soul of one of the old mummies, because the old mummies all got metaplotted dead or somesuch? Or at least many of them. They do the same thing as the old mummies but they do it pretty much exclusively in the Middle East because if they leave the "Web of Faith" they basically can't refill their Mummy Points, and they do it less effectively because the old mummies were built with extra points for being immortal and old and powerful and these are just regular new player characters.

I am currently away from my books so the above is very rough from memory.
Not quite, the first mummies were a vampire antagonist, as in immortal vampire hunters. But had a bunch of clunky crossover mechanics for the other gamelines. So like they specifically have a grudge against vampires because of Setites and their connection to Set who murdered Osiris (the first mummy, or was Horus the first? Either way the murder of Osiris is what sets off their grudge and creation). They fight vampires because they represent the wyrm, but also when I say immortal I mean as in the keep coming back from the dead. But it takes centuries.
So while they're dead they have 1 soul in the wraith shadowlands which guards their corpse, and a second soul in the wraith maelstrom or whatever the 'not a mirror of the real world' is.
In the last wraith book it was revealed they were an experiment by the ferrymen to create another form of guardian for the wraith lands that couldn't be corrupted by Oblivion (their version of the wyrm) and didn't spawn the nega-ferrymen ferrymen create.
It also had some neat-ish ideas as a stand alone but had very poor crossover compatibility with other games. Like specifically the main plot advice I remember from the book was to run games that crossover between eras.
Also you rolled for your starting mummy battery score. Which functioned a little like Blood Points on a slower scale, 1 per decade of life iirc. You only could recharge this battery by spending decades dead and crusading in the underworld. It was also used to heal yourself or power certain mummy magic.

A very flawed execution but a few kernels of neat ideas you'd be better off running in another system. Also it was a crazy idea to make a weird crossover game that required the GM and players to know mechanics and concepts from 3 of the core games, but also interacted with all 3 incredibly poorly. Like a mummy would make a decent werewolf ally npc maybe, or vampire antagonist, but just didn't work as a PC in any of those games.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 27, 2020

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I ran several sessions of Mummy: The Curse and 'great ideas but lousy execution' pretty much nails the core book. It feels a lot like there was zero co-ordination between the various authors, and that some of them had never played, or even read a WoD game.

As I recall it got a supplement which was just smouldering garbage all the way through. I remember a sample adventure which consistently used 'yolk' instead of 'yoke' and charms which gave you extra dice on initiative rolls (which is not how initiative has ever worked in WoD).

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Tulip posted:

Do you mean the old AEG rule set? or the new modern FFG rule set with the fancy narrative dice?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Joe Slowboat posted:

Does it have rules for cursing someones bloodline and hunting their descendents down the centuries because gently caress you rear end in a top hat?

Because that's about 90% of what I'd want from a game about mummies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Coolness Averted posted:

A very flawed execution but a few kernels of neat ideas you'd be better off running in another system. Also it was a crazy idea to make a weird crossover game that required the GM and players to know mechanics and concepts from 3 of the core games, but also interacted with all 3 incredibly poorly. Like a mummy would make a decent werewolf ally npc maybe, or vampire antagonist, but just didn't work as a PC in any of those games.

The character creation rules were kind of irritating, too. You were ostensibly going to be several lifetimes old and you might think, huh, I bet I'd get more freebie points or XP or whatnot to play with and while you did WW was so scared of the notion of the 'power gamer' everything was prohibitively expensive so it wound up you just had maybe a few dots more than a starting rando from another game. Also the powers were not super impressive, especially given what Mummies were supposed to be doing.

Didn't know they were a Ferryman effort, though. That's neat.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Does it have rules for cursing someones bloodline and hunting their descendents down the centuries because gently caress you rear end in a top hat?

Are there any games where you play a bloodline dealing with an inheritable curse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Their more powerful abilities, Utterances, is basically doing biblical-style curses like calling down a flock of crows or making everyone distrust a person. Or straight up calling down a meteor shower.

edit:

Splicer posted:

Are there any games where you play a bloodline dealing with an inheritable curse?
Werewolf, as long as you consider werewolfism a curse. Werewolfishness is based down either through the blood or by being strongly afflicted with Lunacy. It doesn't always fully 'erupt' and usually you just get wolf-blooded, who may have some werewolfy traits but aren't a full werewolf.

Sometimes Mages also engage in generational breeding experiment shenanigans to create 'Proximi', bloodlines that have some magical ability and who are more likely to awaken, but that aren't full mages and who also have some downside. e.g. the one in the 2e corebook has to sleep in the bare earth whenever possible because they have plants living symbiotically inside them.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 27, 2020