Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Pictured evidence of my horrid ability to deal with cavalry

Onmi fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

kingturnip posted:

Uh, Nakai, I think some of your troops are lost...

This happened to me as well.

Turn 26, nakai went to pigbarter. Turn loving 26.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Nice to see Nakai is no longer a homebody or dead by turn 10.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Onmi posted:

Pictured evidence of my horrid ability to deal with cavalry

yeah you need at least one demiberds, the royal altdorf gryphites would be good

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I've noticed that some enemies don't want to agree to peace no matter what. Imrik has two provinces and no armies but refuses to agree to a truce and I've been slapping around a Skaven clan for awhile and they will not agree to a truce either. I want to redirect my armies elsewhere but I can't have them a threat at the rear.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Game 3 wishlist: good chaos, please make ogres not rely on ranged

Ogre Kingdoms are basically dwarves on large bases in WHFB tabletop, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

Ogre Kingdoms are basically dwarves on large bases in WHFB tabletop, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I mean, they are all very fast and have minimal ranged units.

Like, 2 or 3 infantry units, 2 artillery pieces, and one monster with a breath weapon. Hardly the mounds and mounds of ranged firepower that dwarves bring.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Uh... so this wound up popping up just before a Wissenland assault event.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah from what I remember about ogres they're more about have an absolutely devastating charge more than ranged weaponry. They're essentially an entire army of minotaurs with even shittier goblins to fill out the roster.

They are another gunpowder army and have their basic ranged units equipped with handheld cannons as well as one really big cannon (or alternatively a catapult full of scrap metal) mounted on the back of a wooly rhino but they give up access to traditional archers and artillery for that.

Really the two things that define ogres is having the heaviest basic infantry in the game and having a plethora of big scary monsters to smash into the enemy, including Giants.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Will the game 3 bonus race be Dogs of War/Southern Realms (Tilea not Araby), Ogres, or Chorfs (shouldn’t it be Charfs?)? Place yer wagers. Probably Dogs right? Can’t fit the other two into the vortex map...

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

Luthor Harkon has 103% magic resistance and his gunline got to start at the top of a massive hill.

gently caress this game sometimes.
If anyone wants to know how this went:

I withdrew from my own ambush, retreated to my minor vampire-corrupted town of Bloody Marsh and let him siege me instead. Because I build walls loving everywhere, half his forces were unable to join the fight and the other half gladly rode siege towers straight into Perfect Vigour saurus troops, thus never getting to fire their guns. Luthor himself discovered that three carnosaurs and some chamelon skinks are very much not magical.

Anyway holy poo poo the southlands / badlands suck for Kroq-Gar. I'm not even going to finish a short campaign because I can't be arsed to wipe out Khemri, yet here I am D-daying' Lustria because Itza is the only other lizard faction still standing.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 25, 2020

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Like, 2 or 3 infantry units, 2 artillery pieces, and one monster with a breath weapon. Hardly the mounds and mounds of ranged firepower that dwarves bring.

They really don't have minimal ranged units. They just don't have a lot of units that do the same basic thing like most armies do; the entire list is only about a dozen units total, and three of those are monsters with very slight differences in their role.

Both Ogres and Dwarves are very similar in WHFB in that they're tough all-elite armies that use shooting to force engagements on their own terms (ideally setting up countercharges), to make up for their own weaknesses in positioning. Ogres can move but the size and shape of their units makes them very difficult to maneuver, while dwarves are slow. Dwarves have like five different kinds of artillery but you only use the good one. Ogres have like five different monsters and you only use the good one (it's thundertusks).

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

their magic is also pretty good. i think it involves sacrificing dudes? it's been a while.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Zane posted:

their magic is also pretty good. i think it involves sacrificing dudes? it's been a while.

Yeah. In particular, their magic serves basically the same role as dwarven artillery, breaking up units that could normally survive a countercharge.

This is in addition to the OK's actual artillery.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Will the game 3 bonus race be Dogs of War/Southern Realms (Tilea not Araby), Ogres, or Chorfs (shouldn’t it be Charfs?)? Place yer wagers. Probably Dogs right? Can’t fit the other two into the vortex map...

game 3 wont be the vortex map, the main map will be furthest east and north with a joined mega map if own all 3 games

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Zane posted:

yeah their unique lore is the Lore of the Great Maw and their wizards are butchers and slaughtermasters who are some of the burliest wizards in the game

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ammanas posted:

game 3 wont be the vortex map, the main map will be furthest east and north with a joined mega map if own all 3 games

I hope they have some more varied faction starts in the new map. ME is just too long. I have fun until I don't. Vortex campaigns are manageable and interesting for the non-vortex factions though. I'd really like a dwarf campaign where the objective is to make a shitload of money.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Ammanas posted:

But the bonus race they release before game 3 will be on the Vortex map.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I mean I'm biased cuz most of my actual experience of playing tabletop was in early 8th, but my childhood nostalgia was back in 6th when ogres didn't have the giant fuckoff cannon (and neither did daemons :( )

They've got like three good ranged units in leadbelchers, the cannon, and the scraplauncher, but I really just want them to end up being more "punch you in the face" focused than like, dwarfs or coast. Ranged builds should be good for them but not required. That's partially a campaign design problem though- like I love the high elf roster specifically because you only have to make ranged doomstacks if you want to, and they have plenty of other good stuff, but it's hard to argue that stacking ranged isn't optimal due to a bunch of factors. Campaign kinda funnels you into either gunlines or monster mash blobs and if you tick up the battle difficulty, it does so even more.

Mainly 2 has just been gunlines: the game and I want 3 to swing back into krumpin'.

Also, give tzeentch sorceror/melee equally good at both chaos lords instead of lame ward saves for his mark.

e: also I wish they could find a happy medium for chariots in terms of power/micro intensity/worth. TK did it pretty well I think, with Grom I can just ram him into a gate full of spearmen with some pump wagons and forget, which feels like too much. That's kind of another game design problem though- micro heavy risk/reward units work far better in MP instead of campaign where you've constantly got 20-40 units facing off against even more, loads of sieges, and so on.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 25, 2020

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Ethiser posted:

yeah but the vortex map wont be game 3s map. maybe in the game for wh2 owners like mortal empires to encourage game 3 first time buyers to buy 1 and 2

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Ammanas posted:

yeah but the vortex map wont be game 3s map. maybe in the game for wh2 owners like mortal empires to encourage game 3 first time buyers to buy 1 and 2

The question wasn't about game 3.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If Sartosa wasn't a pirate faction already I'd put all my money on dogs. Now only most of my money.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
the 'Southern Realms' still have unique buildings in the southern part of the old world, I don't know why they would do that if they didn't have something planned for them

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Onmi posted:

Uh... so this wound up popping up just before a Wissenland assault event.

Yah that bug's been around since the big Empire rework. It's annoying, but it doesn't break the game.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

drat the skaven stalk stance is whack. Anyone else mod it so it doesn't have the automatic ambush chance?

Had 3 armies IN AMBUSH counter ambushed by 3 Skyre armies.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Dandywalken posted:

drat the skaven stalk stance is whack. Anyone else mod it so it doesn't have the automatic ambush chance?

Had 3 armies IN AMBUSH counter ambushed by 3 Skyre armies.

I just had loving Snikt or whatever his name is trash two armies this way. Now Wurrzag is coming and it's on. I am mad.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Mainly 2 has just been gunlines: the game and I want 3 to swing back into krumpin'.
I've been trying to get out of my heavy gunline-centric gameply. I think trying Greenskins with this new DLC, I have figured out exactly why I cant get away from playing ranged-heavy. It is because replenishment in foreign territory is trash. People have told me that replenishment bonuses, such as those you get from the Greenskin Troll hag or their tech, do not apply when in Raidin' Camp stance. That leads to the core of my problem - if I have to go into melee, I take losses. If I take losses I need to either conquer land that I dont necessarily want so I can replenish faster, or I have to sit in encamp stance until my losses are replenished before I am comfortable continuing to campaign with that army, which is boring.

With Skaven, Empire, Dwarfs, VCoast, HE, or DE, and even Repanse, I can kill entire armies with ranged units and take minimal losses. This means I can keep on marchin and keep on sackin' n scrappin without losing a beat. But with Greenskins or Lizardmen, if you play a battle out and a couple units take disproportionately high losses, I am the kind of cautious player that would rather take it slow and replenish rather than advancing into enemy territory and risk getting into more fights with a weakened army that will cost me units or cost me the army (which has happened, which reinforces my cautiousness).

I think one simple alteration to the game that could change my outlook on melee fighting would be to enable replenishment at a higher rate while encamped in enemy territory. Like... I play on VH, I am paying a 15% increase on "Supply Lines" per lord, so why dont these expensive supply lines actually cause reinforcements to show up in my army faster? I'm sure there would be knock-on negative effects, like the AI abusing it to take losses, run, then come back full-strength a few turns later, but that happens anyway in the form of new stacks, so I dont think it would be a huge difference?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ethiser posted:

Disgrace posted a while back saying there will be only Lord Packs for TWW2.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

ZearothK posted:

Disgrace posted a while back saying there will be only Lord Packs for TWW2.

They walked that back on specifically the matter of a preorder race pack iirc. And Norsca (preorder bonus for game 2) is actually not playable at all in Vortex. So I think we will have a preorder race pack, and it has to be something playable in the base game 2 map (Vortex)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Id say either Dogs of War or, if they wanted to get really spicy, Amazons

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've been trying to get out of my heavy gunline-centric gameply. I think trying Greenskins with this new DLC, I have figured out exactly why I cant get away from playing ranged-heavy. It is because replenishment in foreign territory is trash. People have told me that replenishment bonuses, such as those you get from the Greenskin Troll hag or their tech, do not apply when in Raidin' Camp stance. That leads to the core of my problem - if I have to go into melee, I take losses. If I take losses I need to either conquer land that I dont necessarily want so I can replenish faster, or I have to sit in encamp stance until my losses are replenished before I am comfortable continuing to campaign with that army, which is boring.

With Skaven, Empire, Dwarfs, VCoast, HE, or DE, and even Repanse, I can kill entire armies with ranged units and take minimal losses. This means I can keep on marchin and keep on sackin' n scrappin without losing a beat. But with Greenskins or Lizardmen, if you play a battle out and a couple units take disproportionately high losses, I am the kind of cautious player that would rather take it slow and replenish rather than advancing into enemy territory and risk getting into more fights with a weakened army that will cost me units or cost me the army (which has happened, which reinforces my cautiousness).

I think one simple alteration to the game that could change my outlook on melee fighting would be to enable replenishment at a higher rate while encamped in enemy territory. Like... I play on VH, I am paying a 15% increase on "Supply Lines" per lord, so why dont these expensive supply lines actually cause reinforcements to show up in my army faster? I'm sure there would be knock-on negative effects, like the AI abusing it to take losses, run, then come back full-strength a few turns later, but that happens anyway in the form of new stacks, so I dont think it would be a huge difference?

just go take an undefended settlement. they are loving everywhere.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

CharlesThunder posted:

just go take an undefended settlement. they are loving everywhere.

They are, but it means playing out kicking over five units or else taking 2 turns of minimum-rate replenishment from the autoresolve casualties.

Orcs have a really frustrating early game right now, because of structural incentives to not use hordes of low-armor melee.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I could see the wildcard option for the preorder being some flavour of Chaos (probably Slaanesh bc of all the elves in 2 and especially the elf epilogues), but that kinda depends on how they want to do Chaos in game 3.

Imo Chaos really can support four factions, and yeah I know goons hate them, but that's because 7th and 8th pretty much entirely focused on making them faceless buff archaon clones instead of anything that once made them cool. Especially if CA can flesh things out a bit, or even incorporate some of the thematically-consistent AoS stuff.

I'd love to see Slaanesh as a pre-order, poaching everyone's favourite piece of rear end Sigvald. They could have the slaanesh daemon roster, some elite slaaneshi mortals, maybe a wildcard slaaneshi beastman unit or two, and then take some from basic chaos but Slaanesh them up- like the Mirror Guard are so much cooler than the rando chaos warriors. Have a selection of mortal units based on the marauders, knights, warriors, chosen, etc but slaanesh'd. And also please steal the AoS/noise marine Slaanesh aesthetic instead of the "lol tiddies and dicks" version.

Then have one god as a base race, the other two as dlc, and let our old friends Archaon and Kholek, and new friend Be'lakor, can get a "chaos undivided" mechanic in some dlc or flc where they lose out on the best elites from each god but get to recruit units from all four.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
take all of your inspiration for the chaos gods from the board game chaos in the old world because it owns.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Personally I just hope they straight up throw Chaos in the trash and start over from scratch. Maybe they can keep the existing roster and expand on it with their god specific units and Daemon units but their campaign is unsalvageable without a complete redesign, starting with their horde mechanics.

Give me Skaven undercity style Chaos Cults, start some factions off as settled factions, get rid of horde infighting, redesign their building tree so you dont spend your first four turns demolishing your marauder building and constructing the chaos warrior building, anything that can make their campaign more interesting than the pure hell it currently is.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Take a minor, use a Sack option that gives +10-15% replenishment, end turn in the city and get garrison + territory replenishment + all your replenishment skill riders. Don't want the land? Gift it to an ally. Think Region Trading is too cheesy a mod? Demolish everything you can and let it burn to the rebels. They can't all be "Raise Dead, lol" but the replenishment for a heavy offensive army can get the job done.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

AnEdgelord posted:

Id say either Dogs of War or, if they wanted to get really spicy, Amazons

Amazons would own, granted partly just because I wish we would get more ladies on in he good team.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Chaos are the only DLC I wish I didn't buy, and I own the blood pack and Beastmen.

It's inadvertently a good example of worshiping chaos: You wanna be the ultimate badass burning down the world, but in the end there's only regret for your shortsightedness.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

AnEdgelord posted:

Personally I just hope they straight up throw Chaos in the trash and start over from scratch. Maybe they can keep the existing roster and expand on it with their god specific units and Daemon units but their campaign is unsalvageable without a complete redesign, starting with their horde mechanics.

Give me Skaven undercity style Chaos Cults, start some factions off as settled factions, get rid of horde infighting, redesign their building tree so you dont spend your first four turns demolishing your marauder building and constructing the chaos warrior building, anything that can make their campaign more interesting than the pure hell it currently is.

oh yeah campaign-wise just ditch it. decent chaos requires killing the current chaos. even if you aren't playing chaos, chaos sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Does anyone know why I can't attack this settlement? My army just arrived this turn but isn't being allowed to attack or auto-resolve.