Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Remember to hanitize your mitts after putting your PIN number into an ATM machine. Those things are filthy, and for all intensive purposes you could catch the rona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Woof Blitzer posted:

Pump your breaks dude.

I’m oxma, incarnate

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
You know, I think I'm gonna grow a mullet. This might be my one chance. No one can tell from a head-on Zoom cam.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Remember to hanitize your mitts after putting your PIN number into an ATM machine. Those things are filthy, and for all intensive purposes you could catch the rona.

Or use a cotton swab/tooth pick.

schmug
May 20, 2007

mrfart posted:

Or use a cotton swab/tooth pick.

what do you do with the cotton swab/tooth pick after?

schmug
May 20, 2007

or before for that matter

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Meltdown May’s ending with some gusto.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Facebook Aunt posted:

Kinda depends on how the other end of the effects worked, yes? Did sacrificing an extra 30% of their population to Mammon preserve their economy and "way of life"?

No. https://www.ft.com/content/93105160-dcb4-4721-9e58-a7b262cd4b6e

If your business stays open the whole time but revenue is down 30% for months (like the guy in the story) then your business is just failing a little slower than in the shut down countries. To prevent economic damage we'd need to preserve consumer confidence. I'm not sure that's possible. Trump, and some other leaders, tried at first with their "everything is fine, everything is under control, this will be gone soon" and you don't really need another group scaremongering to have that messaging fail eventually. Nothing to worry about folks, go on with your lives, just ignore the weird refrigerator trucks parked outside the funeral homes, kindly continue spending money. Please pay no mind to the meat shortages caused by meat packing plants having to shut down for a few weeks because half their staff is out sick, have you tried the Beyond burger yet? Nana called you and told you 15 of her friends and 3 staff recently died of mysterious pneumonia and she's afraid to stay in the home? Well, you know how old people are, always making up silly stories and dying in massive numbers -- she probably just wants some attention, send her some flowers. What?

Not hyping or inflating the numbers won't be enough. Actively suppressing the numbers won't be enough. Economic damage was never avoidable.

The problem here is that you are assuming I don't want the shutdown to continue for shitbag elitist STOCKS reasons. I don't give a poo poo at all about the businesses bottom lines. The only thing I have sympathy for is all the people feeling depressed and suicidal or are living in 24/7 fear because they are stuck at home with an abuser and can't even get a new job to try and to have enough money to leave.

Other, better countries have figured out a way to keep the people most likely to survive out and about and keep the most vulnerable under the tightest watch. Thats what we should do going forward. South Korea kept their schools open and still have less deaths per capita by several factors. We can do it better. The 'make everyone stay at home for 18-24 months' is a very, very blunt object that ends up killing a lot of flowers as well as the weeds. The only people coming out of that well are incredibly privileged people in white collar careers with good saving and a safe household. It hurts the poor the most.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Is it over yet? Everybody's acting like it's over.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

interwhat posted:

There is just the bill to pay.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

schmug posted:

what do you do with the cotton swab/tooth pick after?

They put little bins here in the stores next to the machine.

So you can collect the used ones from other people for free.

naem
May 29, 2011

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

why are you not helping our veterans???

https://milspin.com/products/the-original-milspin-anti-microbial-brass-covid-key

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

coronavirus posted:

Do you work in the industry? I know absolutely first hand that suicides have gone up. I'm not sure ifs 50% or 150% but its incredibly clear if you work around healthcare or at crisis centres or other mental health resources that the amount of attempts ( and then actual suicides) has risen dramatically.

I’m sorry I should have phrased that differently at the time. I’m sure people are, no doubt about it.

The lie is that these people give a gently caress about those people, and that the solution is to open back up rather than fix the social support system that should be allowing for us all to stay inside.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

This is so stupid that it rules. I'm gonna buy some from AliExpress.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 25, 2020

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

interwhat posted:

Yeah it's totally over until the lockdown in a month or so due to all the stupid assholes who are congregating now.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Rexxed posted:

Yeah it's totally over until the lockdown in a month or so due to all the stupid assholes who are congregating now.

there wont be another lockdown, the new policy will just be this

https://youtu.be/YFFo7xz69t0

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm on my phone so

boothisman.gif

Boo-urns! Boo-urns!

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
So many fireworks tonight

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rexxed posted:

We've had literal anarchy where cities have opened up against the orders of the state. Theres not going to be another lockdown in the us.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

yeah, really making me thrilled to be stuck in my apartment alone for what will be day 80

i'm thinking somewhere around day 110-120 is where things start to get a lil howard hughesy

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

zer0spunk posted:

yeah, really making me thrilled to be stuck in my apartment alone for what will be day 80

i'm thinking somewhere around day 110-120 is where things start to get a lil howard hughesy

You can’t prove my toenails are not worth an incredible amount of money I’m going to keep them thank you very much

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Same here in my neighborhood last night. Why?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

We've had literal anarchy where cities have opened up against the orders of the state. Theres not going to be another lockdown in the us.

I'd say it would more likely end up with a patchwork of more reasonable places going back to more restrictions and unreasonable places being in denial for as long as possible.

If things get bad enough in a place they are still likely to go into lockdown whether ordered or not. If the hospitals fill up and enough people are sick and dying then things will close down regardless of whether there is a government order or not.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

You can’t prove my toenails are not worth an incredible amount of money I’m going to keep them thank you very much

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Burt Sexual posted:

Loud noise machine go Brrrrrr?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
lol so loud good lord

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think that’s the sound of freedom

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Burt Sexual posted:

How else do you wake are dead troops?

schmug
May 20, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

"holiday" weekend, dude

schmug
May 20, 2007

may have missed the joke. carry on...

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'm really proud not a single one of my facebook friends tried to share that loving garbage plandemic video. That was not the case when loose change was hot poo poo and I would see idiots falling for that 24//7. Although I have deleted a lot of assholes in the past year.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

w-w-w-woah

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Unperson_47 posted:

This is so stupid that it rules. I'm gonna buy some from AliExpress.

It actually kind of works (slowly). It's called the oligodynamic effect but will work with just about any copper/zinc alloy. It shouldn't cost $20 though and Chinese copper is just as good as "original milspin"

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

It actually kind of works (slowly). It's called the oligodynamic effect but will work with just about any copper/zinc alloy. It shouldn't cost $20 though and Chinese copper is just as good as "original milspin"

I saw a study that showed that copper doorknobs that are advertised as being antimicrobial are basically useless because there's always a coating of hand grease on them that acts as a buffer

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

I unironically want one but im not spending 20 bucks or ordering one from china so i guess I'll do without and just santize my hands after opening the door instead.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Suicides in Japan actually dropped 20% in April compared to other years (but that might not last). Lockdowns don't automatically increase suicides, how each country chooses to implement their lockdown has a huge factor on the mental health of their citizens.

Calls to mental health hotlines are up in Australia and the federal government is pumping an emergency $1 billion into mental health and domestic violence services. It's also worth noting that this isn't just a issue during the lockdown since the economy and the jobs market are going to be hosed for a long time and the mental health crisis is likely to continue for several years after the pandemic ends.

The best way for a country to deal with the mental health & domestic violence issues caused by a pandemic are: 1) be aware there's going to be a spike in cases and pump extra funding into services and advertising to alert people to issues & support; 2) deal with the pandemic as quickly and efficiently as possible (immediate & strict lockdowns, widespread testing & tracing, smash the infection rate as quickly as possible) so you can start safely opening up again sooner rather than later; and 3) swiftly install a system of financial safety nets for families & small businesses including rent & mortgage & debt freezes/support and food banks.

The US either didn't bother with any of that or they made a token half-rear end effort which didn't really achieve anything, so of course there's going to be a surge in mental health and family violence crises. (Other countries also hosed up or dragged their feet on this front, the US wasn't the only country to gently caress up.)
Shrugging and going "Well if people are going to commit suicide maybe the lockdown wasn't worth it" as if the country had to make a choice between lockdown or suicide prevention and there was no other options is ridiculously reductive and naive. The economy was going to end up hosed regardless of whether the country locked down or partially locked down or didn't lock down at all and there was always going to be massive loss of jobs and a subsequent surge in mental health issues in any of those scenarios. It is WAY too late to be wringing your hands about what option would have lead to less deaths because there's no actual way of measuring that and getting an accurate answer, it's a complete waste of time right now. What you need to be doing is having a discussion about the best ways to deal with the crisis that your country is currently going through.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

coronavirus posted:

South Korea kept their schools open and still have less deaths per capita by several factors. We can do it better.

Uhh no they didn't. Only in the last 2 weeks have high school seniors returned to classes and even then there were some schools with positive test cases and it being closed down again. It is all online and video.

And this is with everyone ok with and wearing masks on all public transportation and when outside at all.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Memorial Day II. Two weeks after Memorial Day we will celebrate the deaths of 50,000 additional Brave and Heroic Americans who died after celebrating Memorial Day I at cookouts, pool parties, parks and beaches. By going to cookouts, pool parties, parks and beaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Chief McHeath posted:

Memorial Day II. Two weeks after Memorial Day we will celebrate the deaths of 50,000 additional Brave and Heroic Americans who died after celebrating Memorial Day I at cookouts, pool parties, parks and beaches. By going to cookouts, pool parties, parks and beaches.

another day off work? awesome