Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

TK-42-1 posted:

It’s not going to be like an active trading relationship. It’s more like endless fetch quests that take 7+ hours across the world Desert Bus style to complete each step. Even if we did it in a time skip I’m guessing it would take at least a decade if not more of travel to complete it. That’s not including the actual sourcing of material which we aren’t even sure we can do at this point.

I’m of the opinion that if it’s something we can delegate and let happen in the background without compromising our safety then just let it happen. We’ll probably have to go on the first trip to get through the flats and then set up some kind of drop point or easier access for our delegate later.

That's my point. They want to dupe us into putting +5 effort into a +1 reward.
Even if we delegate, that's a waste of time and resources.

If anything, we're better off hunting down these materials and stockpiling them for ourselves, and make our own stuff with it and Everstrike once we hit that skill level, that way we already have a supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Idk I have a feeling it may not be as hard to find some of the rocks as we think. Some are supposed to be quite toxic. And Tannach is home to toxic materials now...gotta feeling there may be some there

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

the_steve posted:

If anything, we're better off hunting down these materials and stockpiling them for ourselves, and make our own stuff with it and Everstrike once we hit that skill level, that way we already have a supply.

This is about where I've settled. Let's look around for the resources, gather some of them, if we end up just having *TONS* of uranium lying around maybe revisit trading but otherwise I'm not sure setting up trade is practical or wise.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

the_steve posted:

That's my point. They want to dupe us into putting +5 effort into a +1 reward.
Even if we delegate, that's a waste of time and resources.

Given our seemingly ever increasing mining output it's fine to trade some at-present useless stuff for an immediately useful item. When we can use the raw materials for ourselves then we can stop trading and work on our own super stuff.

Also they said they'd teach us to refine the material, which will help in both use cases.

Also also Every Strike had said we need to learn the properties of materials on our own. He likely won't teach us to use them, but will help us create things that we already designed based on our knowledge of the material. He won't give us all the secret details of iron but he will help us make iron things with the properties we design for. That timeline is very long.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

We didn't count this vote as well, D is a write in and you didn't specify what you were picking. If you can clarify what you are voting for that would be helpful.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Voting remains open as we are not ready to update her, right now A has a commanding lead.

1. Do you speak with your father about what you found at the “Great City of Badad”?

A - 26 votes. Yes. I tell him everything and try to convince him to allow trade.

quote:

Crazycryodude
Mr. Nemo
Infinity Gaia
Victis
ThatBasqueGuy
Polgas
Theglavwen
TheCog
Olothreutes
ASAPRockySituation
Bob Tuskins
malbogio
Hot Dog Day 80
JustaDamnFool
Z the IVth
Mr. Prokosch
Dr Cheesequake
Bede
AbysmalPeptoBismol
hollylolly
EmpyreanFlux
Cornuto
kalam
CloFan
haunted bear tale
Kristopher
super sweet best pal

B - 5 votes. No, I don’t tell him. I don’t intend to trade with them.

quote:

Toughy
CainsDescendant
Lead out in cuffs
Volmarias
gnarl

C - 5 votes, including two variations of C which are still C.

quote:

Zodiac5000
Mexican Deathgasm
FoxTerrier
Outrail
Tsyni

Plan Outrail - 1 vote. D No, I don't bring it up. I plan to scout the region in a few weeks for whatever we have, and then obtain quantities of the ores in secret to experiment with on my own! Surely if some very-likely-not-people want it, it's useful in some way, right?

Plan The_Steve - 1 vote. D - Tell him everything, but believe that Trade is a bad idea, but knowledge of the stones existence is still a large gain for us

Plan TK - 12 votes. Tell him everything about it but ask if he has any wisdom on whether or not we should try and exploit the offer. Accept his judgement either way.

quote:

There Bias Two
TK-42-1
SniperWoreConverse
Swedish Thaumocracy
Boonoo
Waci
AJ_Impy
ClothHat
alpaca diseases
Blasphemaster
GreyjoyBastard
vorebane

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

B

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

It is worth keeping in mind that if we do go through with the 'Badad' deal there would probably be complications getting anyone to make the delivery and pick up what with the insanely hostile terrain and defenses.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Switching from plan TK back to B

I'm not convinced this is worth angering Tudiya at this point.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
B

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Diogines posted:

"If you return with the materials it will be much easier to travel from the edge, to this area.."

Diogines posted:

Where once you saw a curved snaking path of stones you had to half run, half jump between you now see a straight, narrow road made of sandstone bricks. Returning the way you came should be considerably easier. There are no further illusions to gnaw at you on your way out of this strange place, at least none you recognize as such.

It takes almost two days to reach the edge of this accursed salted land and back to something like normalcy and you spent nearly seven entering and leaving. You and Uriah continue on your journey east, there are several interesting stops between here and the Kadonim Grasslands, with the Great City of Carine being the last of them...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Diogines posted:

We didn't count this vote as well, D is a write in and you didn't specify what you were picking. If you can clarify what you are voting for that would be helpful.

Plan TK

BoyG
Nov 24, 2004

Have you heard the tale of the Cannibal King of Kavodel?
Plan Outrail. D. No, I don't bring it up. I plan to scout the region in a few weeks for whatever we have, and then obtain quantities of the ores in secret to experiment with on my own! Surely if some very-likely-not-people want it, it's useful in some way, right?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

D plan TK

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

B

It aint gonna happen. Tudiya is already angry at us. He wants minimal involvement with our closest neighbors, letalone some weird (possibly not human) strangers halfway across the world.
All that trying to talk to him about this is gonna do is piss him off and make him doubt our judgment even more than he currently does atm

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Rahul posted:

B

It aint gonna happen. Tudiya is already angry at us. He wants minimal involvement with our closest neighbors, letalone some weird (possibly not human) strangers halfway across the world.
All that trying to talk to him about this is gonna do is piss him off and make him doubt our judgment even more than he currently does atm

Conversely if he says no anyway we can just not do it, and our closest neighbors are not the same as a mythical Great City that features in the old tales. Tudiya is more likely to approve of trade with a Great City than anywhere else, imo. Except Baitel, but that's a given.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

B

I think most of the materials we'd have to mine are dangerous, and they are only offering the Ideal Sword for bluestones. Even getting the materials there would require us or Uriah to deliver them or exposing more people to the untruth of the Old Tales, something I see as a pretty big cost.

They aren't worth the buff cost or people dying to the sea. If something changes, like if we were able to zip over there faster it would be different, but for now it costs too much for a nebulous benefit.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Brain Candy posted:

B

I think most of the materials we'd have to mine are dangerous, and they are only offering the Ideal Sword for bluestones. Even getting the materials there would require us or Uriah to deliver them or exposing more people to the untruth of the Old Tales, something I see as a pretty big cost.

They aren't worth the buff cost or people dying to the sea. If something changes, like if we were able to zip over there faster it would be different, but for now it costs too much for a nebulous benefit.

Z the IVth posted:

Do we have to deliver the goods ourselves, or will a representative be acceptable?

Diogines posted:

"If they speak with their chieftain's authority another may be sent. The chieftain will be bound to the tribesman's agreement, and the opposite as well."

We do not have to make the trip. We can send someone else that speaks with our authority. Probably Asahel, honestly, but it could be anyone. Also:

Diogines posted:

"If you demonstrate an ability to deliver several blue sphetes both can be arranged. For large amounts of the other materials it can be considered. If you show yourself to be useful there will be other rewards."

It's not just the blue stones that get us rewards, large quantities of the other stuff will do. It's probably a fairly obscene amount of the stuff, but I bet we could get the sword for less than a blue stone.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 25, 2020

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Also tell Tudiya that TGGOR wanted him to know that is stands defiant, forever

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

JFC Tudiya's pissed off enough already without us going with A.

Looking forward to Chaitgate 2: Tudiya Boogaloo.

:munch:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

Lead out in cuffs posted:

JFC Tudiya's pissed off enough already without us going with A.

Looking forward to Chaitgate 2: Tudiya Boogaloo.

:munch:

Hopefully Uriah can stop him from killing us before Ish gets here.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Olothreutes posted:

We do not have to make the trip. We can send someone else that speaks with our authority. Probably Asahel, honestly, but it could be anyone.

I know:

"or exposing more people to the untruth of the Old Tales"

Maybe you think we should do it and it doesn't count as a cost?

quote:

It's not just the blue stones that get us rewards, large quantities of the other stuff will do. It's probably a fairly obscene amount of the stuff, but I bet we could get the sword for less than a blue stone.

I mean sure, but the Ideal Sword is... not that good? It wouldn't help enough against the Tent Demon, or Gebek if we gave it to Uriah, let enough a Doom. Is it really worth gathering fairly obscene quantities of dangerous materials?

If we got a nuke, maybe, but that's not what we're being offered.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Thing is that the vorpal sword is a straight upgrade to what we have. Is it enough to be meaningful? Probably not, but anything is better than nothing. The thread was excited about a demon claw that we can’t really control and telescopes. To brush off a monomolecular sword as not being worth it is kind of disingenuous.

Do I think it’s a good idea with no consequences? Of course not it’s foolish at best. Is it worth it? Hell yes. Would it fundamentally alter our standings in the world to an extent that I can’t predict? certainly.

That’s why I suggested we leave it to Dad to tell us the prudent course. He expected us to find a weapon against demons. We did. It just has a cost.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

The claw seems to effect things on a life-force mystic hax bullshit level. Also, we got it mostly for free?

Twenty dump trucks* of uranium is not free; it means we are not pulling copper out of the ground or building walls.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Brain Candy posted:

I know:

"or exposing more people to the untruth of the Old Tales"

Maybe you think we should do it and it doesn't count as a cost?

I mean sure, but the Ideal Sword is... not that good? It wouldn't help enough against the Tent Demon, or Gebek if we gave it to Uriah, let enough a Doom. Is it really worth gathering fairly obscene quantities of dangerous materials?

If we got a nuke, maybe, but that's not what we're being offered.

Literally nothing a human can carry will be worth poo poo against a Doom, except maybe an ark that goes off like a nuke if you open it and invoke the contract. And how the hell do you know that a magic sword that is the very embodiment of the best sword possible won't be worth anything against Tent Demon or Gebek? For all we know it would've gone through Gebek like butter if Tudiya had it at Acco 2. Tudiya would probably know better than us, no harm in at least presenting the facts. He can't get pissed at us for telling the truth and giving our analysis when directly ordered to give him a report of our trip.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Yeah I'm not exactly sure why people think telling 3dad about the People's republic and their offer is equivalent to Chaitgate, did we have any binding oaths to not entreat with great cities or something?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Enkidel, I can't believe you want to trade with foreigners in exchange for incredible weapons, I sent you (my heresy son infamous for wanting closer ties with foreigners) out to find weapons! Why would you ever think I should trade rocks with foreigners for incredible weapons? Moron! You're disowned!

The man doesn't explode in jubilation the second we get home and people think we're in trouble? He's just Tudiya being Tudiya, he went 30 years without smiling once.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 25, 2020

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Plan Tk

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Changing vote from A to Plan TK

Thinking about it, I just want to Tudiya to know what's up in case he has more info on the city, but don't want to try to convince him to trade.

I didn't like the "Accept his judgement either way", but we can always go back on our word when we forget about this conversation in a couple years

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I see Tudiya's reaction as more 'This had better have been worth it. Tell me it was worth it. This is my Not Putting Up With Disappointment Today face."

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
D - Plan TK.

Sorry, forgot to bold my vote earlier.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Crazycryodude posted:

Literally nothing a human can carry will be worth poo poo against a Doom, except maybe an ark that goes off like a nuke if you open it and invoke the contract.

Unless Ish was lying, nothing in the vault would have made a difference at the battle to Tanaach, so not even then.

quote:

And how the hell do you know that a magic sword that is the very embodiment of the best sword possible won't be worth anything against Tent Demon or Gebek?

I wrote 'enough', for Uriah. I don't think he has Kingly powers so he get's squished because he's old-Aaron-tier. Maybe we could convince Tudiya to use an un-Zepathan weapon made by suspicious non-humans at the cost of not building walls or mining bronze? That doesn't really help Kavodel or the GZMA though.

Brain Candy fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 25, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I mean, we kind of have to accept his judgement regardless if we tell him anything. This isn’t a secret we can keep and also act on so might as well get it out there and make plans going forward. If he says no then we can sit with it until it’s our choice if that day ever comes.

Or maybe he’s down who knows.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Tudiya, the guy well known for wanting to have anything to do with other cultures, let alone other religions, let alone other species, is definitely going to be A-OK with us harvesting material for unknown reasons to send to what the old tales called a city which quarantined itself indefinitely for a great sickness, and which definitely isn't the event horizon of a demon prison. Tudiya, our triple dad, who has been around the world and seen some poo poo, and is still way more powerful than us, will be interested to know that perhaps there is more to this whole "El" thing than meets the eye. I'm sure that when the miners end up getting burns and mysterious sickness Tudiya will go "Welp" and let us just continue mining the definitely not daemonic stone. Tudiya, the guy who we have no good reason to think won't have the council of the Trio or Zepa Ishamal on this.

If we bring this up and don't end with "Obviously, I don't intend to actually fetch these materials for them" we're going to get buried hip deep in stone in the market of Kavodel and told to adjucate petty bullshit for eternity.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 25, 2020

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

I think Tudiya learned some stuff while we were out and is tolerating us long enough for us to give him the rope for us to hang ourselves on.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Dad wouldn’t do that he’d just hold us down and geld us when we walked in.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pladdicus posted:

I think Tudiya learned some stuff while we were out and is tolerating us long enough for us to give him the rope for us to hang ourselves on.

He definitely knew we were full of poo poo with the "I've got a funny feeling" but knows that every once in a while totally implausible bullshit actually does happen with us, so he's reserving judgement.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Pladdicus posted:

same

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Pladdicus posted:

What could he have learned that would justify hanging us?

Aside from violating church directives about forbidden locations in two separate great cities and looting an ancient tomb. And risking our life in Karnak.