Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Satisfactory is a game of exploration as much as it is a factory game. You've got 30km2 of unique custom crafted world to explore and that alone will take you a good 100 hours. The factory end goal is a nebulous "project" to turn the planet into yet another FixIt forge world but the gameplay loop itself by nature can't have a fixed end goal. And you destroy nature anyway.

Get it, explore the beautiful world, turn it into an industrial hellscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Exploration isn’t that great - there are some nice vistas, but you have the same monster types and resources no matter the biome. The largest monsters don't even give you a cool reward, you just get TWO alien carapaces instead of a single one, which is almost insulting.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 25, 2020

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Do people suggest consolidation or distributing your production centres? I’m currently working on a second storey for my reinforced plate/module/rotor factory to concentrate on steel and up the output of the aforementioned products and I replaced the two mk 2 conveyors carrying iron with an automated tractor and I am starting to worry concentrating too much in one location is going to bite me in the arse when I start moving to things like wrapped beams and the like.

Also I think it’d be kinda cool if pollution effects took place, paving over paradise and creating a smog choked cacophony of machines doesn’t have the same impact if I can’t see the devastation :colbert:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

PiCroft posted:

Do people suggest consolidation or distributing your production centres? I’m currently working on a second storey for my reinforced plate/module/rotor factory to concentrate on steel and up the output of the aforementioned products and I replaced the two mk 2 conveyors carrying iron with an automated tractor and I am starting to worry concentrating too much in one location is going to bite me in the arse when I start moving to things like wrapped beams and the like.

It’s all personal preference. But until you have trains transporting to a central hub is tedious. I just build factories on the spot.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just sent my first package up the space elevator, then immediately deconstructed the elevator to make room for a more vertical factory and unlocked coal!

The nearest coal deposit is 900m away. Time to build a hugeass conveyor belt, looks like!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ToxicFrog posted:

Just sent my first package up the space elevator, then immediately deconstructed the elevator to make room for a more vertical factory and unlocked coal!

The nearest coal deposit is 900m away. Time to build a hugeass conveyor belt, looks like!

Don't worry, you will have to do this...many more times.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

It’s all personal preference. But until you have trains transporting to a central hub is tedious. I just build factories on the spot.

I’m going to expand on this coz I’m bored. By hubbing everything if you are a maths wizard you can build a mega base capable of cranking out tons of endgame material in minutes generally by shifting conveyers around. The method I use (sub bases cranking out just certain items) is hilariously inefficient because I often only have the resources on hand near that sub base to crank out a couple of items slowly or with one of the available resources being more than I need and getting sunk or having a resource that’s not useful in the production chain there at all. The main reason I did this is because cross country belting is a complete pain in the rear end. Cross country SKY train on the other hand is much easier than running 8-10 belts through a jungle and it acts as a power distribution point from your main generation points.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/app/526870/Satisfactory/

Steam release on June 8th

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

:toot:

I played the open beta free test but have just been waiting for steam. Are things pretty stable and set now?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Boogalo posted:

I played the open beta free test but have just been waiting for steam. Are things pretty stable and set now?

Stable as in playable? Yes, I don't think I ever had crashes playing. Stable as in near-complete game design? Not really. The latest major patch overhauled most of the game's recipes and there's no guarantee they won't do it again once they've got more later-game content in. And the last third or so of progression isn't implemented yet.

It's still awesome fun in the moment though; if you're not expecting a conclusive ending it's a perfectly good game as-is.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Boogalo posted:

My current modded 200+ hour save crashed once. Also once, Satisfactory just failed to launch entirely and I had to kill it in task manager. That's not bad at all for early access. For the factory stuff, it's mostly there. The last tier past the current final space elevator shipment isn't there yet, but the current end-game's tech is pretty far along. The story stuff's not in at all, and there's two collectibles + an ore type out in the wild that don't do anything yet. There's some QoL stuff that'll probably get added to the base game or by mods later, like having blueprints and copy/pasting factory/machine setups. Overall it's reasonably complete and worth it imho.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
If they do another full restart update, I don't think I'll be playing this game until they add some conveniences for large factories. Like so you can mark three walls or foundations and fill in the center and copy-paste full machine setups with recipes intact. Doing it one at a time is awful.

I know there's a mod, but it's really not very good or user friendly.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Only been playing since update III, so far it's been totally stable. Gonna take a break from the game till it full releases and I can start over, don't want to burn myself out like I did with factorio in beta, took me like 2 years to play it again after release.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've got to think signs are being planned. There's no way that the reason signs aren't in is anything but they haven't gotten around to it yet

I'm not sure if there will be a major update 4 in early access or if this will be the relatively final state of the game until version 1.0. They've talked a few times about what they would consider feature completion and we're not that far off of it. In terms of big stuff, it's mostly just tier 8, the story, and something with somersloops and Mercer spheres. And the story at least they've said they don't plan to make public until either official release or a very short time before it. Obviously there's a lot of other smaller things that will go in but nothing that really adds up to a major update 4 unless they surprise us

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Apparently experimental will move to the stable branch with the Steam release.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Mayveena posted:

Apparently experimental will move to the stable branch with the Steam release.

real overflow valves :toot:

no more chains of splitters/mergers for lossy overflow valves.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I've got my first steel line going :toot: and I've got a nice factory building with a central bus full of ingots and a bunch of assemblers cranking out stage 1/2 materials and piping them upstairs either into storage crates or into assemblers. Still need to set up steel parts and modular frame assembly.

That said, why the hell is the storage crate so awkwardly sized? I would kill for one that either has the conveyor connections on the sides, or is half as long and holds half as much stuff. There's a mod that adds more storage crate sizes, but they all just use the original model with different capacities. More compact storage would let me pack in the assemblers on the roof a lot more conveniently...

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 31, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm trying to figure out as much as possible on my own, but I looked up the coal generator on the wiki for a quick reference sheet, and they say:

quote:

As the fuel burn rate & water consumption rate are directly proportional to the Power production of Coal Generators (similar also applies to all Power generators), it is not advised to overclock any of these generators. It is just a waste of Power Shards.

I can't quite figure out what this means and why I shouldn't shard up my plants?

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Increased fuel burn rate with overclocking power generators means you have to up the fuel providers (coal miners, water pumps, etc) by either overclocking them or using more of them, which therefore increases their power consumption exponentially... etc, etc.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Black Griffon posted:

I'm trying to figure out as much as possible on my own, but I looked up the coal generator on the wiki for a quick reference sheet, and they say:

I can't quite figure out what this means and why I shouldn't shard up my plants?

A MW of power costs the same amount of coal and water no matter what, so you can just build another generator instead of using a shard.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Black Griffon posted:

Instead of putting a power plant to 200%, you could build two power plants and get the same effect without using any shards.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

That makes sense, I guess I'm just thinking too much about getting as much as possible out of fewer buildings when I instead could build a massive, Midgar-like pillared structure with space for a hundred coal plants, which is what I'm doing now.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Not looking for a survival mode, but I wish buildings had a better purpose than just looking neat. I made my first coal plant near some poison and got all hype cause I thought building up walls would block it, but it doesn't.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Black Griffon posted:

Overclocking power generators is a ‘waste’ unless you’re going to be running them higher than their full capacity. You have to be pushing your grid hard to start to get use out of the over lock, so deliberately under building the number of plants in order to need to overclock them, more or less.

Coal power has the wrinkle of water throughput, too. One pipe can sustain three generators with not quite a fourth’s worth of flow capacity, I believe, so this ratchets up the number of required water pumps as well as complicating the required pipe spaghetti.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

LifeSunDeath posted:

Not looking for a survival mode, but I wish buildings had a better purpose than just looking neat. I made my first coal plant near some poison and got all hype cause I thought building up walls would block it, but it doesn't.
I don't know if it's still true, but blocking factories from view used to help with preserving your framerate, so there's that at least.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Curious thing: I built eight coal generators and hooked them up to a 250% water extractor before realizing that the math doesn't add up. Eight gennys need 360m³ of water per minute, but the extractor outputs 300. It works though, is the thing. Stable flow of water, constant 600Mw of power. What did I do... Right?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Curious thing: I built eight coal generators and hooked them up to a 250% water extractor before realizing that the math doesn't add up. Eight gennys need 360m³ of water per minute, but the extractor outputs 300. It works though, is the thing. Stable flow of water, constant 600Mw of power. What did I do... Right?

They will only use that much water when they're at max capacity. If you undersupply them then start pushing their capacity you'll get a power shutdown.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Ah, there we go. Does it work the same way with fuel or is the burn rate constant? It seems constant.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Ah, there we go. Does it work the same way with fuel or is the burn rate constant? It seems constant.

Same with fuel. You get a constant amount of power output per resource input, so if it's outputting less it's also consuming less.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Power shards should only really be used on limited resources (miners, such as the coal supply). Water pumps can be built (almost) infinitely, as can power plants, assemblers, etc.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Counterpoint: It's pretty easy to end up with more power shards than you'll ever use on miners, and sharding water extractors is convenient because it gets the pipe to exactly capacity, and also because while there's a lot of water out there, convenient water that's close to your factory is a limited resource

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
On a previous build I overclocked all my fuel generators powering my base thinking I would have plenty of fuel. But I hosed up the calculations and after I had a period of high power use followed by an interruption in rubber/plastic production following by additional high power use I ended up running dry, and built my refineries way overcomplicated so it wasn't as easy as popping a few biomass burners to restart the line.

I don't overclock power generation anymore.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I think it's fun that you can min max but you never really need to, esp to get all the research stuff done, just use power shards as needed for production, if you already have enough power and precursors coming in...I started going down the road of exact setups for the ore deposits I had, and in the end didn't need to get too crazy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
An easy way have three water extractors feeding 8 coal plants is to have two lines each feeding 4 gens that independently go to pumps #1 & #3, with pump #2 T junctioned in the center feeding both. Since no individual pipe ever exceeds 300 you get full utilization without shards.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Remember you can underclock things too, and it doesn't even require a shard. And just like you pay extra power for overclocking (a machine at 200% uses more power than two at 100%) you get a bigger discount for underclocking (two machines at 50% uses less power than one at 100%.)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Wish I could just have a power slug ranch :3

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Screws are the bane of my goddamn existence

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

Screws are the bane of my goddamn existence

Have you got the cast screws things that lets you drop rods from the equation?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I am super jazzed to have this in my hands on steam on 6/8.

Dedicated servers aren't coming anytime soon though, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

Have you got the cast screws things that lets you drop rods from the equation?

Nope!