Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
gently caress, I'd settle for just being able to replay the final mission. I felt like such a badass storming that base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

JBP posted:

They said it's impossible to implement NG+ given it would impinge on the incredibly well crafted world gating and beautifully realised AAA narrative experience.

And they said this where?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

SirSamVimes posted:

And they said this where?

In an interview when the game came out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

In an interview when the game came out.

Could you link it?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

"[We won't have New Game Plus] in a traditional sense. Our design doesn't really allow for that because it's Metroidvania.... New Game Plus traditionally means that you start the game with all your abilities at the very beginning and play through again. That would just break things right off from the start, so we are looking at ways to make a replay have value to it with, you know, the things that make our design for the game work, but unfortunately like in a traditional sense, like I said, it's not going to be there."

I don't think EA are going to spend any cash/time on the post-release product either when they can devote everyone to a sequel you will buy.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

JBP posted:

They said it's impossible to implement NG+ given it would impinge on the incredibly well crafted world gating and beautifully realised AAA narrative experience.

Yeah but that's no different than the likes of the Arkham games. Wretched punks.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

JBP posted:

"[We won't have New Game Plus] in a traditional sense. Our design doesn't really allow for that because it's Metroidvania.... New Game Plus traditionally means that you start the game with all your abilities at the very beginning and play through again. That would just break things right off from the start, so we are looking at ways to make a replay have value to it with, you know, the things that make our design for the game work, but unfortunately like in a traditional sense, like I said, it's not going to be there."

I don't think EA are going to spend any cash/time on the post-release product either when they can devote everyone to a sequel you will buy.

This is a far cry from your editorialized summary, just saying.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

There's a new game+ mod, if you're on PC

https://www.nexusmods.com/starwarsjedifallenorder/mods/36

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Fuzz posted:

This is a far cry from your editorialized summary, just saying.

It's the same. They could do it without much trouble but they think their "Metroidvania" game is so complex and incredible that it can't be done, which is rubbish.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The game would be like 3 hours long if you could do NG+ with all the upgrades

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

The game would be like 3 hours long if you could do NG+ with all the upgrades

A lot of games are like that. I can almost beat Sekiro NG+ runs in one sitting.

At the very least they could just do a boss rush mode with difficulty selection, climbing around on poo poo and doing the "puzzles" again is extremely boring.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
New patch!

Unlocked cosmetics carry over into new games

Combat arena mode

And new costume Inquisitor cal and red lightsaber color

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

New patch!

Unlocked cosmetics carry over into new games

Combat arena mode

And new costume Inquisitor cal and red lightsaber color

Thanks! Been bored and thinking of a replay. This sealed it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Wanted to say that's cool to hear but mostly just wanted to complete a username/profile pic trifecta

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
New patch sounds great. Might be time to pick this up on steam for when my Origin subscription lapses.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Now we need the option to change the enemy saber colors

Gimme my role reversal

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Now we need the option to change the enemy saber colors

The colors on both sides gradually invert with each stormtrooper Cal hurls off a bottomless cliff

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

The colors on both sides gradually invert with each stormtrooper Cal hurls off a bottomless cliff

and revert every time you miss a slide jump

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Captain Hygiene posted:

HE WAS BLOWN CLEAR

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Nice!

That battle grid mode where you create your own encounters looks interesting.

There's a trailer too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSwYMwm8fIU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is new game plus now an option?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is new game plus now an option?

"New Journey+" is what they call it, you don't carry over your skills and such, but all your cosmetic unlocks persist. Basically good for if you want to replay the story and not mess around with looting chests

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
The new challenge modes are okay. The lightsaber one is okay at any rate, even if the 9th Sister is way more boring without a loving dragon hanging around. I need to try the inquisitor one this evening...

I don't understand why they didn't just make the fortress mission repeatable. I love that drat thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Something else the patch did was fix my logbook entries. I had managed to miss one back in like...chapter three, and a couple of the droid scans in the fortress. I suddenly had them marked complete when loading with the patch

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
im late to the party but this game is very good and its currently on sale for $40 on psn until the 28th

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I like this game but drat it stutters so bad any time you move from one area to the next, especially on wookie world.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

$40 is the absolute most that should be paid for this one-and-done adventure and I'm not sure that isn't a bit of a ripoff

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Imo it was worth full price.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Imo it was worth full price.

Agreed.

It was way more than twice as good as the entire Sequel Trilogy, so if you saw those in theaters, you got more of your money's worth with this.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I got more enjoyment out of watching the movie cut of Fallen Order and Battlefront II than the ST as a whole

Granted, the people cobbling them together tend to make them way too bright, since if you want a true cinematic experience, setting the brightness to default (2.2 for Fallen Order, I think?) and then decreasing it to 2.1 gives it a dark moody feeling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Odh0ijxGs

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
ive met god and his name is oggdo bogdo

ill come back once im big and strong

this game is good and grandmaster is the kind of challenge i wanted

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Legit other than maybe the final boss Oggdo Bogdo might be the toughest enemy in the game.

I thought this game was pretty good, actually. There were issues I had with it. The default controls are dogshit, where you have to take your thumb off the stick to heal or reach over your controller, or the placement of attack and dodge so you can't hold a finger over both simultaneously as is required for fast paced combat. The buttons are set up the way they are in Fromsoft games for more reasons than just "hurr it's right side for right hand left side for left hand". Switch those right the hell up.

The other big issue I had was the skydiving bit on bat boss, why would you bother even having that? Also fighting the generic orcs on Dathomir feels somehow worse than everything else, they feel oppressive and weightless all at the same time. Then the game lets you go fight these guys straight out of the starting zone, which I ofcourse did, and ofcourse refused to back off until I ran into a dead end.

Other than that though I always felt like getting punished was always some gently caress-up I did, and I hosed up plenty adjusting from Sekiro parries to this. I still prefer Sekiro for how responsive it feels, but at the same time I can appreciate the more weighty parrying while not being the all or nothing of Dark Souls or the weird reaction delay of Bloodborne. I've been on a big Fromsoft bender lately and this still felt like an appropriate and fresh take to throw in the mix. It felt bad to play at times, but I'd take any of it's faults any day over, say, Bloodborne's camera.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Going to Dathomir first to get the saber staff is well-worth the hassle

Plus it helps hone your reflexes and makes the rest of the game easier

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

yeah think of the lesser nydak as an advanced tutorial that you may need to repeat five to twelve times if you're starting with grandmaster, and those acid spiders as your reward

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hra Mormo posted:

The default controls are dogshit, where you have to take your thumb off the stick to heal or reach over your controller, or the placement of attack and dodge so you can't hold a finger over both simultaneously as is required for fast paced combat. The buttons are set up the way they are in Fromsoft games for more reasons than just "hurr it's right side for right hand left side for left hand". Switch those right the hell up.

I mentioned it upthread but yeah, I did way better after I started experimenting with custom controls. I don't understand why that's not a really common option, especially for the majority of console games that don't do anything really specialized with their controls.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

slicing up eyeballs posted:

yeah think of the lesser nydak as an advanced tutorial that you may need to repeat five to twelve times if you're starting with grandmaster, and those acid spiders as your reward

I think I died to the acid spiders more than anything else on Dathomir.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Hra Mormo posted:

Legit other than maybe the final boss Oggdo Bogdo might be the toughest enemy in the game.
I managed to beat the final boss on my first try, but Oggdo Bogdo punked me several times. When I did finally kill that loving giant toad thing it was by the skin of my teeth, and even so only after using the drop-down trick. :negative: Admittedly I am pretty drat bad at this sort of game – I’d started with the difficulty set to Jedi Master and quickly realised that no, it is not in fact the way for me.

Overall I quite liked this game, though it probably helps that I’ve been in a very Star Wars-y mood lately. Got it at 50% off and thought that was a perfectly fair price, too. Shame about all the loading-related stuttering, but I got used to it eventually.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
on one hand i beat oggdo boggdo on my second try on jedi master

on the other hand i didn't know there were health kit upgrades until after the ninth sister fight and hoo boy would i have had a bad time if i'd gone to the end without that information

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A few months back I happened to be coming to the end of a Jedi Outcast replay (havinmg forgotten how good it was) when I noticed this game was on sale so I picked it up. Finally got around to starting it.

Unfortunately I'm struggling to get to grips with the combat system. My strategy to finish this game is going to be restoring my health by dying. A lot. I've ended up dropping down to Story Mode to make it less of a grind. I'm currently playing with keyboard+mouse which the games recommended against at the start; how much better is a gamepad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

A few months back I happened to be coming to the end of a Jedi Outcast replay (havinmg forgotten how good it was) when I noticed this game was on sale so I picked it up. Finally got around to starting it.

Unfortunately I'm struggling to get to grips with the combat system. My strategy to finish this game is going to be restoring my health by dying. A lot. I've ended up dropping down to Story Mode to make it less of a grind. I'm currently playing with keyboard+mouse which the games recommended against at the start; how much better is a gamepad?

Way better, I wouldn't personally attempt to play with a m+kb but I'm sure the usual PC gaming master race people will come in and argue violently against me. Having PC gamed since the mid 80s, I don't particularly understand the aversion, it's another peripheral, do you complain about using a joystick with flight sims and that m+kb is better? Guess TIE Fighter is a lovely game, then.