Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

Good for HP, I was thinking all the wmr companies were gone and finished messing with vr. Glad they're still working on stuff.

Samsung have been filing patents for a new VR headset of their own as well a few months back. More broadly, HP and Samsung made developments of their own beyond the stock WMR HDK based on SteamVR headsets like physical IPD and the Deluxe Audio Strap's form factor, so it's actually not surprising that those two have kept going with VR hardware development.

Marxalot posted:

Seeing your Windurst Walls hit either the New or Community Labs tab is what got me to start looking at the other FFXI worlds. The mithra av from it works surprisingly well in full body considering what it is.

Also I really didn't expect the creator to pop up on the forums lmao

Take a trip through the Udon Alpha worlds, the new code allows for really impressive stuff. I've been dabbling with a bit myself, and it's a very powerful scripting engine that lets developers do stuff natively that's had to be very badly hacked together in the past as well as lot more besides. The Bird Sanctuary is also oddly enthralling watching the NPC ducks all go for bread :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Now, here is the real question: will Microsoft do the smart thing, and force their two divisions that make VR Headsets and Video Game Consoles to play together nicely and challenge PSVR, or will they continue to do the dumbest thing possible and not combine two slam dunk options they already own?

:thunk:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It'll be a closed ecosystem with curated games that trickle in one every couple of months, requires you to use their newly released version of windows that has no proper driver support because they developed and tested it on 10, and will be tied into Xbox live, requiring a paid account. They will promise a halo game on launch and then 3 years later release it on the new Xbox with no VR support.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Now, here is the real question: will Microsoft do the smart thing, and force their two divisions that make VR Headsets and Video Game Consoles to play together nicely and challenge PSVR, or will they continue to do the dumbest thing possible and not combine two slam dunk options they already own?

:thunk:

They will force you to buy a VR headset with the next console, just like the Kinect!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Great Beer posted:

It'll be a closed ecosystem with curated games that trickle in one every couple of months, requires you to use their newly released version of windows that has no proper driver support because they developed and tested it on 10, and will be tied into Xbox live, requiring a paid account. They will promise a halo game on launch and then 3 years later release it on the new Xbox with no VR support.

You joke, but Microsoft have actually gotten the message about the Windows store being reviled by anyone looking to buy games and just throw their stuff on Steam now. They're actually in a really good place to do simultaneous Steam and XBox releases if they do actually intend to push into VR again and it's not just HP striking out on their own.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is it my imagination or does Eleven enforce service rules way more strictly in ranked than it does in 1p or unranked?

It sucks because I keep thinking I have a legal serve committed to muscle memory, but when I try a ranked match it honks at me for “too low toss” or “hit while rising” every time and I can’t break the habit.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Great Beer posted:

:golfclap:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

gently caress, I missed the sale on Robo Recall and it's kinda the only oculus exclusive I want to play besides Stormlands. RIP

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Not sure if I should put this here or in the ADTRW forum...
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2777747298928983/?locale=ja_JP

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I got a Quest the other day and am still waiting for my USB cable to show up for Link but I'm a bit confused about how Quest/Rift cross-buy and Link work and don't want to miss out on some of the current sales.

If I'm tethered via Link, can I play any game that I buy in the Rift store, even if it's not cross-buy, exists in the Quest store, and I don't own it in the Quest store? E.g. Superhot is not cross-buy, is on sale in the Rift store for $12.50 and is $25 in the Quest store. So even though in the Rift store it says "Supports Rift" and "Supports Rift S" but not Quest, I could buy it for the cheaper price and play it as long as I was always tethered to my PC? If I wanted to play it untethered, I'd need to re-buy it in the Quest store (not counting the wireless Link via SideQuest Virtual Desktop thing, I'm just trying to make sure I understand how it's intended to work by FB)?

Do you still have access to stuff you've purchased in the Quest store while the Link cable is plugged in or do you have to disconnect from Link to use Quest games/apps?

VV Thanks!

Lawen fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 24, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lawen posted:

I got a Quest the other day and am still waiting for my USB cable to show up for Link but I'm a bit confused about how Quest/Rift cross-buy and Link work and don't want to miss out on some of the current sales.

If I'm tethered via Link, can I play any game that I buy in the Rift store, even if it's not cross-buy, exists in the Quest store, and I don't own it in the Quest store?

Yes, if you are tethered (or using VD!), your Quest will be in 'dumb headset' mode, not in 'Android console' mode.

quote:

Do you still have access to stuff you've purchased in the Quest store while the Link cable is plugged in or do you have to disconnect from Link to use Quest games/apps?

You don't need to physically unplug the cable, you can disconnect it and return to Quest mode from the software.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Turin Turambar posted:

Not sure if I should put this here or in the ADTRW forum...
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2777747298928983/?locale=ja_JP

They're grossly off-theme if even a single one of the minigames is winnable.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lawen posted:

If I'm tethered via Link, can I play any game that I buy in the Rift store, even if it's not cross-buy, exists in the Quest store, and I don't own it in the Quest store? E.g. Superhot is not cross-buy, is on sale in the Rift store for $12.50 and is $25 in the Quest store. So even though in the Rift store it says "Supports Rift" and "Supports Rift S" but not Quest, I could buy it for the cheaper price and play it as long as I was always tethered to my PC? If I wanted to play it untethered, I'd need to re-buy it in the Quest store (not counting the wireless Link via SideQuest Virtual Desktop thing, I'm just trying to make sure I understand how it's intended to work by FB)?

VV Thanks!

Just think of it as when you're plugged in to the computer and in link mode, it's now a rift and not a quest and can do every last thing a rift could do. PC only games, steam games, Vive port, whatever you want.

A game that has cross buy, when you purchase it say on the PC store, it will show up in the quest store as free to download, and vice versa.

For the rare games taking advantage of cloud cross saves your saves will transfer between when playing the PC version, or quest version.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Samsung have been filing patents for a new VR headset of their own as well a few months back. More broadly, HP and Samsung made developments of their own beyond the stock WMR HDK based on SteamVR headsets like physical IPD and the Deluxe Audio Strap's form factor, so it's actually not surprising that those two have kept going with VR hardware development.

Take a trip through the Udon Alpha worlds, the new code allows for really impressive stuff. I've been dabbling with a bit myself, and it's a very powerful scripting engine that lets developers do stuff natively that's had to be very badly hacked together in the past as well as lot more besides. The Bird Sanctuary is also oddly enthralling watching the NPC ducks all go for bread :allears:.

I've checked out some of the games over the past week or two, but not that many. They seem entertainingly janky for the most part. At least for a little while. I did see the duck one, but I haven't made my way there yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Who wants to try a VR experience that's almost certain to make you throw up? :stare:

Marxalot posted:

I've checked out some of the games over the past week or two, but not that many. They seem entertainingly janky for the most part. At least for a little while. I did see the duck one, but I haven't made my way there yet.

UDON's very much a new thing so a lot of the worlds are using basic prototype assets and proof-of-concept execution, but there's still some really neat things to play with in them. I highly recommend the Portal Gun test world just to see it working.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sign me the gently caress up this is what I bought a loving VR headset for

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Apparently, the latest Alyx update introduced an issue where some players, myself included, can no longer load any of their saves. Trying to do so just dumps you back to the title screen.

Has anyone found a workaround for this issue?

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
I've got a Quest on the way after selling my Vive a couple of months back and I just wanted to check: I've heard that the Quest is quite front-heavy but how bad is it? I've looked around and seen battery packs that doubles as counterweights and was wondering if those are worth it.

I'm looking forward to (re)playing Thrill of the Fight and Blade and Sorcery and the like using the Link which would probably makes things harder.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

Reallycoolname posted:

I've got a Quest on the way after selling my Vive a couple of months back and I just wanted to check: I've heard that the Quest is quite front-heavy but how bad is it?

It's really front heavy. Coming from the Vive Pro and Vive I found it ludacrisly uncomfortable. I modded on my Vive Delux Audio Strap and that 100% got it feeling right.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Reallycoolname posted:

I've got a Quest on the way after selling my Vive a couple of months back and I just wanted to check: I've heard that the Quest is quite front-heavy but how bad is it? I've looked around and seen battery packs that doubles as counterweights and was wondering if those are worth it.

I'm looking forward to (re)playing Thrill of the Fight and Blade and Sorcery and the like using the Link which would probably makes things harder.

Yeah, it's front-heavy. I made a roll of 2p coins and strapped those to the back, and that made a noticeable difference.

Don't play anything through the link cable, get Virtual Desktop and use that to run your non-Quest games wirelessly.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Reallycoolname posted:

It's pretty bad and I'd recommend attaching a 10000mah battery pack at the very least (the Anker ones are popular option). It's not too difficult or expensive, significantly improves comfort and battery life at the cost of only a little bit of bulk. Frankenquest, where you attach a Vive Deluxe Audio Strap to the Quest using either 3D printed parts or some velcro, is too expensive these days as whatever supply is available quickly gets scooped up by scalpers. I like my weird monster headset but having also strapped a battery to a regular Quest strap it gets about 75% of the way there.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Gort posted:

Don't play anything through the link cable, get Virtual Desktop and use that to run your non-Quest games wirelessly.

Unless you're playing something that falls apart with some video or input latency. I tried playing a sim racing game through VD and it was a stuttery mess.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Experiences with VD are pretty variable. For me the experience is almost indistinguishable from Link aside from slight stutter when rapidly translating head position, Link smooths that over with a ASW pass PC-side that VD lacks. Latency is about the same and visual quality is roughly on par with Link. Link's quality can be improved with some tweaks, but those cause latency to take a hit, making it about even with VD anyway. I have a UniFi mesh, but others have reported success with cheapo 5ghz routers provided they're mounted high.

Basically, it's something you need to put money and time into getting working properly, or just luck out like I did.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Honestly, if you have the money get both. Though getting both at this point means just buying VD. Stuff that works through VD is great, stuff that doesn't you can just use the Link now you can use the cable in the box.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

After about a month I got used to the weight, it doesn't bother me anymore. I had to gently caress around with the straps a lot but now it's fine, IMO. Obviously it bothers some people a lot though. YMMV.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My back/legs give out before my neck has any issues with a Quest and I can wear that poo poo for hours.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, if you have persistent neck/upper back issues like me, the Quest is uncomfortable no matter what you do.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Reallycoolname posted:

I've had mine for months and haven't noticed it.

Although I rarely play longer than an hour (or two if it's half life alyx).

Also I lift a lot of weights and fight people so my neck might be a bit different than other people's.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Went to the black cat. Found lovecraft's cat.

e:note the nametag

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 27, 2020

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Thanks for the answers folks, I'll probably get an Anker powerbank and some heavy-duty velcro straps to double as a counterweight then. Unfortunately my house is setup so that my router's signal has to go through two walls to get to me (or I have to use my wireless extender) so I'm not confident in using VD, but I suppose there's no harm in trying.

Reallycoolname fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 26, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Reallycoolname posted:

Thanks for the answers folks, I'll probably get an Anker powerbank and some heavy-duty velcro straps to double as a counterweight then. Unfortunately my house is setup so that my router's signal has to go through two walls to get to me (or I have to use my wireless extender) so I'm not confident in using VD, but I suppose there's no harm in trying.

I'm pretty happy with my counterweight battery + velcro. The system I found that works best looks like this:

-Medium size velcro with a sticky/glue side joining the battery and the strap, in my case the one with the 'hooks' is glued to the battery.
-Another velcro on the opposite side of the strap (the white one), this time only the hairy one, also with a sticky side to glue it on.
-Two small but longer velcro straps, of the two sided type (hairy on one side and hooks on the other), trying it all vertically. As it wraps around, this velcro strap hooks in the other side of itself, and also hooks in the white velcro. I think 8 rolls of 1 mt each was 8€ in total in Amazon.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Reallycoolname posted:

This is similar to my situation, with British internet on top. VD generally works pretty well, just a small 3 second stutter every 5 or so minutes, which does lead to beatsaber song fails but it's acceptable to not be tethered.

Has anybody got any experience in Synth Riders vs Beatsaber? I want more options to exercise on

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Fingerless Gloves posted:

This is similar to my situation, with British internet on top. VD generally works pretty well, just a small 3 second stutter every 5 or so minutes, which does lead to beatsaber song fails but it's acceptable to not be tethered.

Has anybody got any experience in Synth Riders vs Beatsaber? I want more options to exercise on

Synth Riders is... not as good as Beat Saber. In fact it made me appreciate exactly how good Beat Saber is, in things that you may take for granted. But if you just want an excuse for exercise, I guess Synth Riders is an option, it has a mode where hitting the notes with force gives extra points.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Synth Riders is not as good as Beat Saber but it's an extremely good "I'm bored of Beat Saber but I want more of something similar" kind of game, especially since most of Synth Riders' stock music is extremely good unlike Beat Saber.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Hi I owned a Rift for a couple years and really liked it but gave it to my kid because he uses it for iRacing and gets more enjoyment out of it than I ever could. drat kids. Anyway I was considering a new set and I find the existence of the "link" for the Quest to be very strange. Why would Oculus want to cannibalize its own product (the Rift S) by giving Quest owners essentially a free upgrade? The cynic in me things that the rug is going to get pulled out from under this and you'll be charged extra or something to play regular PC games on the Quest because :capitalism:

I lean more towards the simulation end of things (DCS, Elite, etc) so I value image quality above all which means Index, but I can't deny that the Quest's ability to move around freely is really tempting.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The quest doesn’t completely eclipse the rift S even with its cable. The cable is sending compressed video and comes with the trade offs in IQ and lag that that implies

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Gorson posted:

Why would Oculus want to cannibalize its own product (the Rift S) by giving Quest owners essentially a free upgrade? The cynic in me things that the rug is going to get pulled out from under this and you'll be charged extra or something to play regular PC games on the Quest because :capitalism:

I think the simplest answer is that Facebook don't really care about selling headsets in the short term; it's a tiny profit compared to the numbers they work with. What they care about is total market control, and in this case that means owning the store people buy software from. They're never going to get that on PC because Steam exists, but they are in that position on the Quest, so bringing a new person into the Quest ecosystem is far more valuable to them than a lost Rift S sale.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So I understand there are like 50 million community songs on beat saber, but what’s the process for getting them? I don’t see anything in the menus and I was under the impression access to the community maps was built in. Playing on PC via steam. Am I just missing something painfully obvious or what?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gorson posted:

Hi I owned a Rift for a couple years and really liked it but gave it to my kid because he uses it for iRacing and gets more enjoyment out of it than I ever could. drat kids. Anyway I was considering a new set and I find the existence of the "link" for the Quest to be very strange. Why would Oculus want to cannibalize its own product (the Rift S) by giving Quest owners essentially a free upgrade? The cynic in me things that the rug is going to get pulled out from under this and you'll be charged extra or something to play regular PC games on the Quest because :capitalism:

I lean more towards the simulation end of things (DCS, Elite, etc) so I value image quality above all which means Index, but I can't deny that the Quest's ability to move around freely is really tempting.

Nah, the Rift S is kinda a technological dead-end and there's no real reason for Oculus to favour it longer than it takes for a new model or a revised Quest to come out. If you look at their dev videos from last year, their in-house prototype headsets are Quest-derived, and even now the Rift S can't do hand-tracking natively because of the way it was designed with Lenovo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhiAFo9U_sM

edit:

NRVNQSR posted:

I think the simplest answer is that Facebook don't really care about selling headsets in the short term; it's a tiny profit compared to the numbers they work with. What they care about is total market control, and in this case that means owning the store people buy software from. They're never going to get that on PC because Steam exists, but they are in that position on the Quest, so bringing a new person into the Quest ecosystem is far more valuable to them than a lost Rift S sale.

Also very much this. Facebook doesn't care how long it takes people to get into VR, so long as people are getting into their VR ecosystem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Per Carmack at his conference talk it was out of a desire to "move fast, break things".

What Link functionally does is allow for the transmission of a VR-compatible video stream over low bandwidth connections using a bunch of tricks (reprojection, hardware video compression, frame slicing) to get an acceptable quality VR image on the other side. Figuring out how to do that over a cable saves some troubleshooting and performance variability that comes from relying on consumer WiFi hardware for transmission. Oculus Link was originally released in beta, but I'm pretty sure Link itself is a beta for an official wireless option in the form of a USB transmitter.

The Rift S is obviously a contingency. It's design and production was outsourced to Lenovo, with their logo even making it on the HMD. I don't see Rift lasting another generation as a theoretical Quest 2/Pro/S/Whatever could easily fill the gap given only a few considerations.