Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
There's loads of people purporting to support Liverpool on Twitter who get abused by actual fans as soon as they reveal they are a Tory oval office thankfully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aidan_702 posted:

https://twitter.com/theousherwood/status/1264810045482700802?s=21

Were I one to be unhappy with the current government, I would simply morph into one Keir Starmer

Keir Strummer

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’m curious as to what he’ll be introduced as. “Advisor to the Prime Minister”, yes, but advising him on what?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

c0burn posted:

There's loads of people purporting to support Liverpool on Twitter who get abused by actual fans as soon as they reveal they are a Tory oval office thankfully

Liverpool fans on twitter are an abomination in general.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Jippa posted:

twitter are is an abomination in general.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Fair.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Tesseraction posted:

There was a right-wing historian recently who went a bit gung-ho on proving it was Totally False and the Rich Are Our Betters.

Source? I want to be angry.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Are Liverpool bringing the amphibious buses back after Covid?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
This is not a twist I expected. How can this possibly end well for them? Is it just pure hubris?!

When do they announce what time it will be? Will it be televised? I am very excited!

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

Samovar posted:

I recall Dan Snow doing this a few years back.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I'm gonna predict a 'leave of absence' - not quitting, not saying 'gently caress all of you'. He'll be back in a month without much fanfare.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Perfect Element posted:

When do they announce what time it will be? Will it be televised? I am very excited!
The broadcast will psychically compel all subjects to build a 'cum beacon'.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

The broadcast will psychically compel all subjects to build a 'cum beacon'.

Holy poo poo, this is perfect.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fun fact, the actor playing Yuri is Udo Kier.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OwlFancier posted:

Fun fact, the actor playing Yuri is Udo Kier.

Udo Kier Stammer?

That reminds me, I have to preorder the HD Remaster of the first two C&C games on Steam.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

British Airways have sacked their entire workforce and hiring 3/4 back on dog poo poo contracts (after giving their CEO a £3.2m bonus in March)

https://twitter.com/unitetheunion/status/1264842830146686976?s=20

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
He'll give a resentful apology for 'the upset caused' (not the actual behaviour), he was only doing what he thought right in very difficult circumstances, now let's all put this behind us. He'll barely be able to conceal his contempt, some journalists will say it isn't good enough, others will say 'oh well, at least he's apologised'. He'll stay in his position and nothing will change, because not only does Johnson rely on him, but the constant presentation of him as some kind of Machiavellian super-villain who is single-handedly running the government and represents Everything Bad About Politics means he's a useful distraction from all the other poo poo.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 25, 2020

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
He's such a loving goblin lol

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
https://twitter.com/business/status/1264837379652714496
This reads like satire but the link leads to an entirely unsatirical advertisement for a private sanitised jet and car service to take parasites to their private yachts without exposure to the infectious poor.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

hand-fed baby bird posted:

I recall Dan Snow doing this a few years back.

He did - e.g. here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25776836

This was based on a 'report' (read, rather blatant PR) by the Royal United Services Institute (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/06/first-world-war-roll-call-senior-officers-killed-ranks) which in turn was part of Gove's stint as Education Secretary to mark the centenary of WW1 (and the fifth anniversary of the death of Harry Patch) by rejigging the curriculum so WW1 became yet another Glorious Jape In Britain's Honorable History of Fighting For Freedom Against Foreigners.

The stats speak for themselves - officers had a higher casualty rate than enlisted soldiers and junior officers had the highest casualty rate of any group in the Army (even when you remove the Royal Flying Corp, which was a subaltern and SNCO bloodbath, from the stats). So it is simply not true that 'the officer class' sat in safety behind the lines and sent the Tommies over the top to be cannon fodder. IIRC, even the staff ranks had a higher casualty rate than private soldiers (far fewer, of course, but it only takes a handful of Generals to be killed over four years to push the percentage high in comparison to the millions of enlisted soldiers on the ground).

But, because these studies happened under a Tory government the take away from these numbers (and the stats about how many young men from the public schools were killed as fresh-faced Second Lieutenants charging a German machine gun position with a Webley and a swagger stick) wasn't "this shows that modern industrial war is a bloodbath from which there is no escape, regardless of which school you went to or who your Dad knows" but "let's all pay tribute to the long-overlooked contribution made by the upper classes to British history because statistically Eton suffered greater losses than the Accrington Pals...WAR CHRISTMAS IS A GO-GO!"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

blunt posted:

Cummings is holding a press conference this afternoon.

Yiiikes

He's either going to do an offensive apology "I'm sorry if you were upset at what I did" thing.

Or even better, he will prepare to give a rambling speech explaining why he did nothing wrong and that you guys are too stupid to understand this.

As it is, he is already trying the "I didn't break the law" speech which every defendant who tries that fails badly.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Cummies is actually going to just primal scream at the podium for a full minute and tug at the skin on his face and walk off again.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Samovar posted:

Academia has an inherent tendency to contrarianism but even so there is definitely a reaction against what one might call the Blackadder understanding of WW1, e.g. Dan Todman's The Great War: Myth and Memory

Todman also gives a short and readable essay here: http://ww1centenary.oucs.ox.ac.uk/war-as-revolution/the-first-world-war-in-history/

One has reached the point where one's first-year reading list on WW1 is likely to contain many texts intended to talk undergraduates out of the reductive narrative (with the corresponding effect that many undergraduates will then leave with "Actually :smug: ..." seared into their own understandings of WW1. It goes to and fro).

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Apraxin posted:

how kind of the torygraph to have the summary of his previous articles so prominently displayed, so we can all see what a tremendous piece of poo poo he is without having to click any further

I'm proud to say that when I met David Goodhart I enraged him so much that he was screaming in my face by the end of our conversation.

K9
May 6, 2007

communism bitch posted:

He's such a loving goblin lol

Who was it that Viz comic used to accuse of having a "frightening light bulb-shaped head?" I don't think it was Cummings (maybe Heston Blumenthal) but if the cap fits...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

K9 posted:

Who was it that Viz comic used to accuse of having a "frightening light bulb-shaped head?" I don't think it was Cummings (maybe Heston Blumenthal) but if the cap fits...

It doesn't, though.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
For some reason cumming's day trip to "barnard castle" makes me think of alan partridge visiting the owl sanctuary.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
The press conference will be an empty podium for fifteen minutes to distract the press while he gets in a car and speeds off to Durham

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
cummings 100% owns calipers for measuring skulls

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

K9 posted:

I don't know, but has he been to Los Angeles?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1264917217185083392?s=20

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jedit posted:

It doesn't, though.

lol

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
Tom Harwood slept in mummy and daddies bed until he was 19.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Dominic Cummings : Boris Johnson :: Boris Johnson : Harry Cole

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pencils R Cool posted:

Tom Harwood slept in mummy and daddies bed until he was 19.

he 100% has no friends or anything else going on which is why he's always on the bbc

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Dominic Cummings must be physically present in Durham once per fortnight to complete The Ritual. Only there does the rift in spacetime align with the ancient leylines of satanic magick and the positioning of the dark geometry drawn over decades in the national rail network. Only there can the psychic waves eminate the command, the insane compulsion to the ears able to hear it, to enough citizens in the forsaken island to ensure total dominance. The intense desire - desperate, yearning, sexual - for a memory of the wicked hairbeast that roamed the planet in the dying days of the Atlantean epoch, the ageless horror known only as Bor-Ees L'Jend

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

justcola posted:

British Airways have sacked their entire workforce and hiring 3/4 back on dog poo poo contracts (after giving their CEO a £3.2m bonus in March)

https://twitter.com/unitetheunion/status/1264842830146686976?s=20

Jesus christ the airline industry just needs to collapse already.

communism bitch posted:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1264837379652714496
This reads like satire but the link leads to an entirely unsatirical advertisement for a private sanitised jet and car service to take parasites to their private yachts without exposure to the infectious poor.

I wonder whether it would be possible to unionise their drivers and pilots.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1264146440001028096

I suppose if you're going to lose the party whip because you've been arrested on suspicion of assault, you couldn't have picked a better time to do it and nobody notice...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

thespaceinvader posted:

Jesus christ the airline industry just needs to collapse already.

Just need them to last long enough to cash in the avios points I got from work flights over the last few years :ohdear: