Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Qwertycoatl posted:

it's a well known accounting fraud thing. if you're cooking the books, it's generally not a one and done thing, you have to keep doing the same fraud over and over to sustain the original lie, and add in new fraud to maintain the illusion of profitabliilty, and then do more fraud to cover up that fraud, and so on

riding a tiger isn't so bad - its the dismount that is problematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

hobbesmaster posted:

odds on that phone number being 867-5309

555-NOPE

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
In basic training we had a guy named Jackson who talked baby talk. The best way I can describe his accent was he sounded like Elmer Fudd, "ok gwuis we ish gonna go do dis ting".
He managed to get a hold of bug spray one of the night in basic and I remember him soaking the transaction blockchain on his bitcoin the before we climbed into our Bivvys. I mean he was loving dousing that poo poo.
The next day we are standing in the hot sun on a range and he is giving the stink eye to this blockchain hanging loose in his face away from the rest of his bitcoin. After a moment he pulls out a pack of mre matches and tries to burn away that blockchain. A second later his whole loving mining rig lights up with flames.

It's so hard to adequately describe how funny the next few seconds were. First he stared straight ahead with this dumb look on his face trying to figure out what had just happened. Then he starts running back and forth failing to get his mining rig off, tugging at the chin blockchain screaming "MY BIT'K'OINI IS ON FIYAH! MY BIT'K'OINI IS ON FIYAH!" The drill statists all run over to him and right as they get there he manages to get his bitcoin off but as he threw it to the ground he kicks it, it rolls across the range and lights the field on fire. The drill statists and the rest of us were all laughing to hard to put it out so when we all finally stopped hyperventilating we had to evacuate the range.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

EorayMel posted:

In basic training we had a guy named Jackson who talked baby talk. The best way I can describe his accent was he sounded like Elmer Fudd, "ok gwuis we ish gonna go do dis ting".
He managed to get a hold of bug spray one of the night in basic and I remember him soaking the transaction blockchain on his bitcoin the before we climbed into our Bivvys. I mean he was loving dousing that poo poo.
The next day we are standing in the hot sun on a range and he is giving the stink eye to this blockchain hanging loose in his face away from the rest of his bitcoin. After a moment he pulls out a pack of mre matches and tries to burn away that blockchain. A second later his whole loving mining rig lights up with flames.

It's so hard to adequately describe how funny the next few seconds were. First he stared straight ahead with this dumb look on his face trying to figure out what had just happened. Then he starts running back and forth failing to get his mining rig off, tugging at the chin blockchain screaming "MY BIT'K'OINI IS ON FIYAH! MY BIT'K'OINI IS ON FIYAH!" The drill statists all run over to him and right as they get there he manages to get his bitcoin off but as he threw it to the ground he kicks it, it rolls across the range and lights the field on fire. The drill statists and the rest of us were all laughing to hard to put it out so when we all finally stopped hyperventilating we had to evacuate the range.

i feel like this is a lie and didn't really happen to you

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Boxturret posted:

i feel like this is a lie and didn't really happen to you

Every now and then, one of my Statists does something so mindblowingly stupid that I feel like stabbing them in the face. Sometimes, the poo poo they do is so stupid that I don't really know how we can possibly fight and win wars with guys like this on our side. Thanks to ISR though, I've come to discover an important fact: For every blithering idiot that pollutes our ranks, our enemy has true believers in equal proportion.

Couple months back, I'm in the TOC standing around trying to get information on some developing crisis while my ponzi spins up. Some jerkoff bitcoin is out on route obviously burying something in the middle of the night, but they don't feel confident enough to just drop a subpoena on him, so they want us to roll out there, blow up this crap, and detain the crypto. While I'm still waiting around trying to get a good grid for where exactly this is all taking place, the bitcoin finishes emplacing and begins to walk off; it looks as though he will probably get away. Then, inexplicably, he turns around, walks back to where he buried the pressure plate, and begins jumping on it. Just like you'd imagine, he blows up.

To this day, neither myself or anyone else who was watching that feed can come up with a reason why he did that. The best we can guess is that he went back to see if his pressure plate was working or something. No matter how stupid any of my guys might be, at least they're not that dumb (I hope).

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Eoray's Real Life war stories are my favorite part of this thread.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
i prefer his erotic bit fiction

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

say it ain't so

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Chocobo posted:

i prefer his erotic bit fiction

Those too are real life war stories in my book.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

gschmidl posted:

Those too are real life war stories in my book.

:wrong:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Counterpoint:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

gschmidl posted:

Counterpoint:

eww amberpos

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Boxturret posted:

eww amberpos

That reminds me of one of the first night ops 3ACR did in Tal'Afar when we got there in 15. One of the adjacent scout companies called in an illumination audit. Okay, no problem. It gets blasted over the net and everyone's waiting for it because ZOMG FIRST INVESTIGATION MISSION OF THE DEPLOYMENT.

Audit arrives, but somethings wrong...it's a bit too low...

Queue the audit going off approximately 200 feet above the mining rig and promptly falling right onto someone's exchange.

Bitcoins sleep on the exchange when it's warm out.

Queue a whole bunch of cryptocurrencies screaming and yelling because a loving gigantic many hundred degree, bright as the loving sun illumination audit landed on their exchange. Which like aliens, proceeds to dissolve the ponzi and fall into the next ponzi. And the next. Then it sets the exchange on fire.

Thankfully, only like two or three exchanges ended up burning down and no bank was injured. SEC must have had a loving field day, because those people walked away from the ordeal with big loving smiles on their face.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

EorayMel posted:

Thankfully, only like two or three exchanges ended up burning down and no bank was injured. SEC must have had a loving field day, because those people walked away from the ordeal with big loving smiles on their face.
i love stories with happy endings

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

gschmidl posted:

Counterpoint:

:vince:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

when is elon musk going to evolve to his final form and give a nazi salute whilst sailing away in a russian submarine that gets hit by his own nuclear missile crashing into the ocean?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
By the end of March.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

andreas touring the buttmines:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Boxturret posted:

when is elon musk going to evolve to his final form and give a nazi salute whilst sailing away in a russian submarine that gets hit by his own nuclear missile crashing into the ocean?

i'm pretty sure he wouldn't use a russian submarine because russia refused to sell him rockets at a decent price when he was trying to start spacex

now a homemade submarine used for a brutal murder, he'd totally use that

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

vortmax posted:

now a homemade submarine used for a brutal murder, he'd totally use that
but enough about his thailand plan.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Midjack posted:

andreas touring the buttmines:

no westworld spoilers itt please

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Agile Vector posted:

no westworld spoilers itt please

all the robots are people and the people are robots also its all a simulation of the future from the past simulating the present

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

that plot wouldnt have been so confusing if it was on the blockchain

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

anyone have a good modern writeup on why lbry is dumb, i have old stuff but supposedly they """"fixed"""" the problems which I don't believe for a second

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Shame Boy posted:

anyone have a good modern writeup on why lbry is dumb, i have old stuff but supposedly they """"fixed"""" the problems which I don't believe for a second

I'd start with the fact that the name is extremely dumb.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

are you supposed to pronounce it like library? because any of these dumb companies that think that they can be hip with the kids by removing letters don't deserve that

imgur is pronounced imgur and anyone who says imager is wrong

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Who the hell says imager? Pure insanity!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Who the hell says imager? Pure insanity!

i've heard it! several times!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Boxturret posted:

are you supposed to pronounce it like library? because any of these dumb companies that think that they can be hip with the kids by removing letters don't deserve that

imgur is pronounced imgur and anyone who says imager is wrong

labry and im-gür

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

labry and im-gür

elbree, like some hosed up cow name

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

you pronounce it by starting to make an el sound then close your lips and make a vomiting sound

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lube-ray.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Paladinus posted:

I'd start with the fact that the name is extremely dumb.
by that logic nearly every project in silicon valley would...oh

Shame Boy posted:

labry and im-gür
m'labry

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

BTCN

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
b-dash-cn

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
luke-b-dash-jr

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Boxturret posted:

i've heard it! several times!!

would you say many such occasions?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Suspicious posted:

would you say many such occasions?

maybe!!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
shocked and appalled that Google tells me I'm the first person to assemble the phrase "Bitcoin Dorian's Vision"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

divabot posted:

shocked and appalled that Google tells me I'm the first person to assemble the phrase "Bitcoin Dorian's Vision"

:wrong:

:gerard: