Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Apparently Amazon just needed to flip a few switches but CIG forgot to tell them. But also now it's 3 days later and Amazon still can't seem to flip the right switches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Beet Wagon posted:

The "World first" Idris kill is... really something to behold. Holy poo poo there is just so much going on here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZK3DTJuvno

• Idris is invincible
  • Tactics include ramming it into atmosphere
  • That loving bonk into the terrain
  • Only way to kill the idris is by shooting through a turret hole

Has he really used the Halo soundtrack to underlay that janky mess that looks like being straight out of Garrys Mod? And whats up with this fake-rear end, childish excitement? How old is this guy? 10?

e: The last shot where all the ships just stand in the air, seemingly without any sort of flight model or physics attached really says it all. This could literally be straight out of a model viewer

ggangensis fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 25, 2020

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyGXWvPHejs

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

[FUTURE FEATURE] - Ability for players to create, and build tech!! Not premade tech, but tech that players can imagine themselves!!

Imagine, being able to purchase materials to create a product that can be sold, and that can work in the verse.

Lore can have stories of earlier times, right when space travel started and quantum jumping began. It could be descriptive on what parts were used and why. Wires that were needed, types of metals. Also blue prints to build a piece of tech, that can be used to support whatever custom tech you make.

Example: I want to create something easy... An addition to a mobiglass (personally created mobiglass) that can read though other peoples mobiglass. There can be simple in game coding chunks that players can create for their tech. Like psuedocode but really easy, that can instruct your built up tech to execute. And the material can have qualities that work in many ways.

Example: I want to create something moderate... Depending on how well a player learns how to build stuff, the better stuff they can create. Say i want to create a modular component that i can put in my ship, that can sense when there is a missle lock, and prepare a weapon to shoot at the missle. So once the missle is released, the gun will blow up the missle. And if well built by the player, can blow up the sending ship as well.

Example: I want to create something hard.... The idea of letting players explore and find tech, that can be used to build, is very exciting for exploration game play. Landing on a planet of highly intelligent species... Stealing one of their research books and learning new tech... Players can try and use what they know to create something profound. Like an instant jump drive? Turn it on and in 5 seconds you at your destination? I feel like not even a diehard star citizen fan can figure that out, but just the idea of it being possible is something to work towards...

This gameplay does not give people, the limited ability to create only the things i suggested, but a vast set of things that can only be created by knowing how each material works, and what can do what. Players can build products and sell them too...

Idk maybe its too much, maybe its not.. It's 1:45 and i'm loopy.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Popete posted:

You'd think Invictus Week server meltdowns would worry Citizens a little. Like they can't even scale their 50 person shards properly and you expect them to figure out how to get thousands of players into a single shard?

Nah just a side effects of the great number of players.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Beet Wagon posted:

The "World first" Idris kill is... really something to behold. Holy poo poo there is just so much going on here.

• Idris is invincible

I was going to criticize them for caring so much about killing a stuck ship in a broken state in a non-game, but then I realized their true accomplishment - not having the game or the server crash. Actually epic!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hello fellow FUDsters. I'm here to spread FUD by posting a FUD video of my experience playing during the free fly.

None of what you are about to see is real. Its clearly FUD made to generate FUD and not a true representation of the game since backers report that they can play no problem. Its probably all my fault, the game is alpha, and its probably not for me.

Also, spent over an hour in free fly and didn't get to fly once... well, except in a rather unexpected way, as you will see at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_AkB5cRWC0

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

• Idris is invincible

That is some grade A hot PVE action.
It's legit the shittest thing I've seen in ages

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Peter.Quint posted:

Breaking rocks in the hot sun...

i had a bug and the
the bug won!!

teokarp
Feb 18, 2020
Star Citizen is a fairy tale come true - a real life manifestation of "The Emperor's New Clothes".

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ggangensis posted:

Has he really used the Halo soundtrack to underlay that janky mess that looks like being straight out of Garrys Mod? And whats up with this fake-rear end, childish excitement? How old is this guy? 10?

e: The last shot where all the ships just stand in the air, seemingly without any sort of flight model or physics attached really says it all. This could literally be straight out of a model viewer

"Could be"?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Agony Aunt posted:

Hello fellow FUDsters. I'm here to spread FUD by posting a FUD video of my experience playing during the free fly.

None of what you are about to see is real. Its clearly FUD made to generate FUD and not a true representation of the game since backers report that they can play no problem. Its probably all my fault, the game is alpha, and its probably not for me.

Also, spent over an hour in free fly and didn't get to fly once... well, except in a rather unexpected way, as you will see at the end.

In the countless games I've played that have trains or similar transportation, I have never seen one so poorly designed that the trains overlap and run through each other, or a game so broken that they actually pass through each other.

Chris clearly intended noclip the whole time so the trains would run on schedule. PC gaming saved again!

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

I made it 25 seconds into this "not mandalorian" ripoff and gave up

I should try again

Asmodai_00 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 25, 2020

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
The slow mo javelin trainwreck is still going on then. Looks even better under celebratory fireworks.

I'm not sure why there's a guy crouched in front of the cockpit. Maybe for a better view.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

teokarp posted:

Star Citizen is a fairy tale come true - a real life manifestation of "The Emperor's New Clothes".

Don't they charge for that DLC skin?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Rest of the ship sale seems to be going well though

I guess this is my life now... can't even stand up

quote:

Accept death

quote:

Suicide button doesn't work either btw

The Headless One Must W I G G L E

teokarp
Feb 18, 2020

Colostomy Bag posted:

Don't they charge for that DLC skin?

Donations these are!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Aren't those simply continuation of amply named Transporter ( http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Transporter_(Classic) )? :>

Sure, and the Hull series is a reference to the ships made by the Puppetteers in the Larry Niven books

As a reminder, even the boring unoriginal poo poo in Star Citizen is stolen from somewhere else

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Nyast posted:

I still cannot reconcile the fact that the game's such a huge mess, and that it's going to be by far their best year in terms of sales.

How the... ?

I don't get why people are bewildered by this. They are lying. It's that simple!

* The tracker has never dropped to zero dollars for one hour in the entire history of the company
* They've never bothered to account for whether or not the tracker actually incorporates the investments from their billionaire partners
* The tracker is currently completely detached from reality, showing their greatest year ever on the backs of a string of colossal failures and a global economic meltdown and widespread player rebellion
* It serves no purpose except to keep Star Citizen in the news for breaking another absurd number about once per year
* There is no independent verification of the tracker and you'd be a fool to believe anything it's telling you

I think it's far more likely that they secured another round of "Funding" from their partners and they've just upped the per-hour tick rate of the tracker to trickle it all into their big total by the end of the year. Why they do this I have no idea, except that it looks more like natural crowdfunding I guess and god forbid Chris be honest with his fans for even one minute of his miserable loving life.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

• Idris is invincible

Turn on video, some white dude shouting "Boys" over and over again, followed by "Epic." Yep I'm on gaming youtube in 2020.

I love the shot at 3:49 where all the gigantic capital-ship hammerheads are suspended around it, all of them facing down towards the ground while suspended in midair. There's just no flight model at all anymore, is there.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Popete posted:

Apparently Amazon just needed to flip a few switches but CIG forgot to tell them. But also now it's 3 days later and Amazon still can't seem to flip the right switches.

Probably waiting for Crobblers cheque to clear. It's a Bank holiday in the UK.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

Turn on video, some white dude shouting "Boys" over and over again, followed by "Epic." Yep I'm on gaming youtube in 2020.

I love the shot at 3:49 where all the gigantic capital-ship hammerheads are suspended around it, all of them facing down towards the ground while suspended in midair. There's just no flight model at all anymore, is there.

the biggest cringe is the faux-military leadership from the guy leading the show. so many streamers/youtubers do it

it's so bad but it's so sustaining

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Agony Aunt posted:

I never get the interesting train bugs. I wonder if they're related to your having the game on an HDD instead of an SSD? That's what is causing most of your lag and stuttering by the way- the game thrashes the hard drive worse than anything else I've played. But I can't imagine why trains would have anything to do with client side issues.

The NPC's totally lacking any animation seems to have happened some time in the last big patch. Previously they'd at least walk around and do idle animations. I wonder if this was CIG's "Solution" to them constantly janking into furniture- just turn off the pathing entirely? Doesn't seem to have worked, if so.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

Go back and watch 1:20 again for a huge laugh.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I noticed that "next train in XX" timer at stations was always wrong. Trains would just randomly show up regardless what the timer said. So I wonder if they just bumped up the train spawn rate and didn't bother to resolve collisions.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

I never get the interesting train bugs. I wonder if they're related to your having the game on an HDD instead of an SSD? That's what is causing most of your lag and stuttering by the way- the game thrashes the hard drive worse than anything else I've played. But I can't imagine why trains would have anything to do with client side issues.

The NPC's totally lacking any animation seems to have happened some time in the last big patch. Previously they'd at least walk around and do idle animations. I wonder if this was CIG's "Solution" to them constantly janking into furniture- just turn off the pathing entirely? Doesn't seem to have worked, if so.

I do think you're onto something regarding HDD vs SSD. I installed it to an SSD and didn't have any disconnects (except once in Star Marine) and didn't have too many issues besides the persistent poor frame rate. My machine was absolutely pumping tho, every fan was screaming. My machine is getting older now but I can still run most games (DCS for instance) on high settings without issue. I think SC is just extremely poorly optimized and is constantly having to pull textures off the drive

If I cared to go thru the stupidly long install I could test this but I won't cause gently caress this dumb game and ever doing that lovely wankpod -> spaceport train ride again.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Popete posted:

I do think you're onto something regarding HDD vs SSD. I installed it to an SSD and didn't have any disconnects (except once in Star Marine) and didn't have too many issues besides the persistent poor frame rate. My machine was absolutely pumping tho, every fan was screaming. My machine is getting older now but I can still run most games (DCS for instance) on high settings without issue. I think SC is just extremely poorly optimized and is constantly having to pull textures off the drive

When I played on Friday my computer was putting out heat so hard that I thought I'd left my space heater on. Like, wafts of hot air blowing across my face even though the box is 4 or 5 feet away. I cut it off at 2 hours because I was genuinely worried about my computer.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

Popete posted:

I noticed that "next train in XX" timer at stations was always wrong. Trains would just randomly show up regardless what the timer said. So I wonder if they just bumped up the train spawn rate and didn't bother to resolve collisions.

That's pretty unfidelitous. I would have expected that they coded in proper train safety, like track vacancy detection, proper interlocking, signals and such. I feel ripped off!

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

Popete posted:

I think SC is just extremely poorly optimized and is constantly having to pull textures off the drive

It's sluggish and janky because they've implemented everything like in real life, including argon level calculation, celestial body simulation and a a full blown medical simulation for each and every spaceman. Also, Subsumption. All of that in never-seen-before graphical fidelity. If it would run smooth it would be proof that they've taken unfidelitous shortcuts. Buy a new PC.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/citizens/17621-This-Week-In-Star-Citizen

:trustme: Invictus Launch Week is in full swing, and amidst all festivities, we are aware that not everyone can enjoy the event as planned. While great progress has been made, our team continues to work hard on crushing and solving any remaining issues that prevent you from playing right now. As a reminder, we recently released the Status Update page to help keep you in the know with how things are going.

We know some of you missed out on playing so far, so we’ve extended the Free Fly through midnight on June 2nd and we’ll continue to monitor and make adjustments as needed. We’re committed to keeping you all in the loop and will be in close communication. Keep an eye on Spectrum for further updates.

Also no sign of that Squadron 42 video :lol:

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Q: Is this a kick starter scam?

Not trying to be rude, but aren't people worried with the lack of progress or updates? These guys making this game can just pack up anytime without any financial consequences. They're relying on the technology of another company to complete their game and if anything is wrong with it, theyre going to be able to wash their hands of it easily. They're getting people to buy so much stuff before an alpha and none of it is refundable. Isnt this like a big red flag to most people or am I missing something crucial here?

quote:

Your information may be woefully out of date. There are regular updates on their progress, and they interact daily with the community on their official discord.

They're relying on the technology of another company to complete their game and if anything is wrong with it, theyre going to be able to wash their hands of it easily.

This is no longer true, as of early 2017.

They're getting people to buy so much stuff before an alpha and none of it is refundable. Isnt this like a big red flag to most people or am I missing something crucial here?

Indie game development requires trust. For many of us, the high level of interaction with the community engenders enough trust to warrant the sustained financial support. For others, it does not. If you personally feel the risk is too high, you should hold on to your money.

That said, the established development timeline is on track. We expect 2019 to be a very active year, with Domain Selecton, Pre-Alpha and Alpha all coming up relatively quickly. If you are not an alpha backer, then it may seem like not much is happening, and because of the NDA that isn't likely to change. Even so, a few of the devs cannot resist leaking little tidbits here and there, so I am sure it won't be entirely silent.

quote:

Doesn't matter if it fails, personally, though being a scam would suck the amount of assets they've actually made are far more than I'd expect of a "get the money and run" situation. I'd like to know what you mean by lack of progress though? They've been putting out progress reports monthly for the last year or so. Were you expecting Beta/release in 2 years?

quote:

Not even close lmao. There's never been a hard schedule for things. Only a Dev Timeline, which hasn't been delayed "a year" by any means. Just because people *think* and *feel* that the game is taking to long, doesn't make it true.

Most MMOs take 4 or 5 years to get to a playable stage and release. CoE has barely been in Dev for 1 year, and they are already closer to playable items than other MMOs at a similar age.

But Arm Chair devs gonna give their professional opinions all the time though lmao.

Chronicles of Eyiria
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfiibVaEMeY

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Dwesa posted:

I'll go stand on some chairs for a while, it's what normal humans do.

Planking is sooo 2010...

All the cool kids are t-posing on chairs now.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Agony Aunt posted:

Lmao, snap, that's exactly what happened to me minus the four dimensional train sex

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Agony Aunt posted:

quote:

once it’s launched... I will be begging people with free copies of the game to come and crew my big rear end ship

So, some people think CIG will give away free copies so people will go to mop floors for big ship owners?

I took it to mean that he's bought multiple game packages to give away to his friends.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Pixelate posted:

The slow mo javelin trainwreck is still going on then. Looks even better under celebratory fireworks.

I'm not sure why there's a guy crouched in front of the cockpit. Maybe for a better view.

Crouched in the corner, Javelin on my mind.

Sarsapariller posted:

Why they do this I have no idea, except that it looks more like natural crowdfunding I guess and god forbid Chris be honest with his fans for even one minute of his miserable loving life.

It's because this whole thing is a ponzi scheme...

Whales keep throwing investing their money as long as they think it'll provide a game return on investment. If CIG let it slip that backer funds have dropped off, that a sizeable number of backers are losing faith in the project, more people will close their wallets to "wait and see" what will happen. Which will mean even less funding coming in, scaring even more backers into waiting...

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 25, 2020

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Quavers posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/citizens/17621-This-Week-In-Star-Citizen

:trustme: While great progress has been made, our team continues to work hard on crushing and solving any remaining issues that prevent you from playing right now. As a reminder, we recently released the Status Update page to help keep you in the know with how things are going.

Great progress being made. Onwards comrades!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

• Idris is invincible

The non existent flight model is really a sight to behold.

Imagine making a game about flying space ships, and after nearly a decade and $300M you don't have one, but you can really walk around good on the ground in FPS.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't get why people are bewildered by this. They are lying. It's that simple!

* The tracker has never dropped to zero dollars for one hour in the entire history of the company
* They've never bothered to account for whether or not the tracker actually incorporates the investments from their billionaire partners
* The tracker is currently completely detached from reality, showing their greatest year ever on the backs of a string of colossal failures and a global economic meltdown and widespread player rebellion
* It serves no purpose except to keep Star Citizen in the news for breaking another absurd number about once per year
* There is no independent verification of the tracker and you'd be a fool to believe anything it's telling you

I think it's far more likely that they secured another round of "Funding" from their partners and they've just upped the per-hour tick rate of the tracker to trickle it all into their big total by the end of the year. Why they do this I have no idea, except that it looks more like natural crowdfunding I guess and god forbid Chris be honest with his fans for even one minute of his miserable loving life.

friendship with dow jones ended

funding tracker is my new number friend

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

I think it's far more likely that they secured another round of "Funding" from their partners and they've just upped the per-hour tick rate of the tracker to trickle it all into their big total by the end of the year.

if they pumped investor money into the tracker it would be clear fraud/deception.

and pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bumble He posted:

i had a bug and the
the bug won!!

I hope you're ok!