Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There’s a bonfire in the depths, but it can be a bit tricky to find your way to if you don’t have the master key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a bonfire in the Depths behind a locked door fairly early on, forget where the key is though.
Iirc the only area with no bonfire is New Londo ruins though a couple are hidden pretty well.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Blighttown is fun except for the infinitely respawning wasps.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

central dogma posted:

Blighttown is fun except for the infinitely respawning wasps.

Ya they are a real struggle. It'd be nice if they had like, a nest or something that you could kill and be satisfied with their end.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Well, I'm going to blow your loving mind right now, but they don't respawn infinitely. It's not even a hugely large respawn count

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I'm doing my first run thru blightown right now, it doesn't seem worse than Farrons keep, but I did get lost for a solid hour and resort to YouTube to figure out where to go.
The geometry sucks and I fell to my death more times than I can count, which was a bummer. The actual swamp itself isn't too bad, like not nearly as bad as I've been hearing about for the last 10 years.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Blighttown is the best area in Dark Souls.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
no, that's sens fortress

blighttown is good tho

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

bengy81 posted:

I'm doing my first run thru blightown right now, it doesn't seem worse than Farrons keep, but I did get lost for a solid hour and resort to YouTube to figure out where to go.
The geometry sucks and I fell to my death more times than I can count, which was a bummer. The actual swamp itself isn't too bad, like not nearly as bad as I've been hearing about for the last 10 years.

I think a lot of Blighttown’s rep comes from subsequent play throughs. With most other areas you develop a mastery over time that allows you to safely rush through the area, either avoiding or minimizing most danger. Blighttown still mostly needs you to take it slow and safe unless you took the master key or want to learn speed run techniques.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I like roughly 50% of Blighttown and hate the other half. And it's not a clean split between upper and lower.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

Well, I'm going to blow your loving mind right now, but they don't respawn infinitely. It's not even a hugely large respawn count

After so many years, this news comes to light.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Nuebot posted:

Presumably he's already eaten Nito and that only made him hungrier.

Hard to say for certain, but I think it's more that he's in the process of eating Gwyndolen and you walk in on him attempting to digest the meal that the pontiff prepared for him.

EDIT: Cinders report; Midir also broken, it's not even a fight now. Like the Soul, he just uses one attack and nothing else. Weird poo poo.

Plot wise, I don't understand how he can be eating characters who were killed aeons ago and countless cycles ago. Gwyndolin, maybe, but how could he eat Nito?

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Been going through Faron woods lately, and I'm of the opinion that Blightown and the Valley of Defilement have traumatized a generation of Souls players and that every area that even remotely resembles them triggers PTSD, because Faron is not and never was as bad or difficult as those two. Like the worst you could levy against it is that it's aesthetics are pretty dull, but it's pretty easy to navigate and I've always had a good time searching nooks and crannies for loot.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

I think space-time is screwed in the Dark Souls trilogy from all the fire linking.

"We are amidst strange beings, in a strange land. The flow of time itself is convoluted; with heroes centuries old phasing in and out. The very fabric wavers, and relations shift and obscure. There's no telling how much longer your world and mine will remain in contact. But, use this, to summon one another as spirits, cross the gaps between the worlds, and engage in jolly co-operation!"

—Solaire of Astora

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

I love Farron Woods and even the swamp. One of my favorite DS3 moments was climbing up that tower and seeing the swamp from above.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Farron is a lot more frustrating than Blighttown because you gotta crawl through it. You could quickstep but it’s still not very fast. It might be harder, but not much. The only really nasty enemies in there are the grues with the skullfuck grab. It’s mostly just kind of slow and dull. Blighttown has some tricky encounters but like most of DS1, it’s easy to drop/run through once you know where to go.

5-2 is definitely harder and more frustrating than both. The poison is much more threatening, there’s no quick way through it at all, the giants are seriously nasty enemies, there’s black phantoms who are immune to swamp...it’s a strong gently caress-you of a level.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Farron takes literally ten minutes to clear. Just roll forward the entire time. The worst part is figuring out that you have to extinguish the candles to turn off the fire.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Farron is an auto-invade zone that nobody can be bothered to invade in

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Farron takes literally ten minutes to clear. Just roll forward the entire time. The worst part is figuring out that you have to extinguish the candles to turn off the fire.

This doesn't help if it is your first time playing and you don't know where you are going. I will admit that it isn't that bad or long, but it will definitely take you more than 10 minutes your first time through.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

skasion posted:

Farron is an auto-invade zone that nobody can be bothered to invade in

No, the Cruxification Woods is the auto-invade zone, and its still plenty active at like Sl23 +2 to Sl30 +3 (albeit full of twinks).

Although they are considered one area by the game and you can continue your pvp battle down the ladder and into Farron, the auto-invasions don't actually happen in the swamp itself, just Crux Woods.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

Pretty sure they don't even respawn, there's just a lot of them and they have a huge aggro radius.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

skasion posted:

Farron is a lot more frustrating than Blighttown because you gotta crawl through it.
If you actually follow the path (yes, there is one) you will never have to cross more than a couple steps over the swamp. There are a couple items out there but the main path is seriously not long or arduous. Hardest part is fighting one of the big gru shamans in the muck.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Fister Roboto posted:

Pretty sure they don't even respawn, there's just a lot of them and they have a huge aggro radius.

They definitely respawn - you can watch the two that are in a straight line out of the bonfire tunnel do it. Pick them off with a bow and keep looking in that direction and you'll see it.

I never had an issue with the mosquitoes anyway, since I rarely stop moving long enough for them to catch up.

Of all the issues people can have with Blightown, that's an odd one to fixate on. The blowdart snipers are the most annoying. Everything else can basically be avoided by walking a certain way. And I basically NEVER do the top part of Blightown unless I'm doing a build that needs something which is up there, which is rare.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

HaB posted:

They definitely respawn - you can watch the two that are in a straight line out of the bonfire tunnel do it. Pick them off with a bow and keep looking in that direction and you'll see it.

I never had an issue with the mosquitoes anyway, since I rarely stop moving long enough for them to catch up.

Of all the issues people can have with Blightown, that's an odd one to fixate on. The blowdart snipers are the most annoying. Everything else can basically be avoided by walking a certain way. And I basically NEVER do the top part of Blightown unless I'm doing a build that needs something which is up there, which is rare.

The blowdart snipers are an actual challenge, the mosquitoes are about as annoying as real mosquitoes. That's why they suck. They suck in a meta way.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The blowdart snipers are terrifying until you find out that they don't respawn, then they lose their scariness.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I went back to DS3 for a bit with my glasscannon DEX build. I got an odd question: How do I fight Midir as a phantom?

Playing Solo, Midir is hard as hell but predictable. When you're a phantom, Midir's attacks are all over the place and it seems like the punishable openings are smaller somehow. I keep dying before barely getting any hits in. Any tips?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

axolotl farmer posted:

I went back to DS3 for a bit with my glasscannon DEX build. I got an odd question: How do I fight Midir as a phantom?

Playing Solo, Midir is hard as hell but predictable. When you're a phantom, Midir's attacks are all over the place and it seems like the punishable openings are smaller somehow. I keep dying before barely getting any hits in. Any tips?

try to slow it down a bit?
when its just u its all focused on u so its obvious what to avoid, reading his poo poo when its split between two of you is more difficult.
its the same fight you always did but any mistakes cost u more as a phantom.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Midir is utterly trivialized by any high phys-/fire-resist shield. Grab a Black Knight Shield and just block his attacks; hell, I literally just took the Dragon Crest Shield, at +0, out of storage and it worked perfectly. You absolutely can and should just block all his attacks you can't easily dodge.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Midir is utterly trivialized by any high phys-/fire-resist shield. Grab a Black Knight Shield and just block his attacks; hell, I literally just took the Dragon Crest Shield, at +0, out of storage and it worked perfectly. You absolutely can and should just block all his attacks you can't easily dodge.

At the same time midir has big tells and if you take the (considerable) time to learn them all he becomes “easy”. The other best option in completely the opposite direction is to go full naked and wail on him with something like the fume ultra greatsword and rolling constantly.

I say easy, in that completing a 7 - 15 minute fight without doing anything special but also making no mistakes and having 100% concentration is ‘easier’ than being fully reactive to an otherwise fully rng boss.

This is also why people say things like “midir” is easy because knowledge of entire fight by ng+7 is entirely stored in their spinal column for maximum efficiency, forgetting the 30+ tries the first time around.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Hit his head and learn his patterns. He's "easy" as despite being huge his attacks are super easy to dodge and have large windups. It also helps that his phase 2 is the exact same as his first phase only he has two new very easy to dodge attacks in his aresenal. He is so very predictable.

This is in contrast to say Friede or Fume Knight who are far more eratic.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The other way for Midir to be easy is to have 30 Int and run Pestilent Mist.

Swastikatzen
Apr 10, 2006

I figure this is a catch-all for all soulsbourne games. My wife and I have been playing through all of them and finally hit Bloodborne. Micolash is giving us fits, despite me (drunkenly) one-shotting it with my character. We're around BL70 and would appreciate any help. I guess the password would be lowtax

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Swastikatzen posted:

I figure this is a catch-all for all soulsbourne games. My wife and I have been playing through all of them and finally hit Bloodborne. Micolash is giving us fits, despite me (drunkenly) one-shotting it with my character. We're around BL70 and would appreciate any help. I guess the password would be lowtax

Can't for a while. But have you tried poison knives? You can flick them at him while chasing him and once the poison procs it reaply wears him down. Then you just gotta dodge his tentacle thing a few times while bashing his stupid face in.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Swastikatzen posted:

There's a bloodborne thread but honestly everyone reading one thread at this point is reading all the others so just post wherever.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Just coming to complain that Greirat hasn't come back to my shrine even though I told Patches about him coming to Irithyll before killing Pontiff Sulyvahn without buying the Catarina armor.

Patches came back and is selling me stuff again while squatting now, but didn't say nothing about Greirat. I wonder if I progressed too far down the Profaned Capital path or if fighting Pontiff Sulyvahn at all before sending Patches negates it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Swastikatzen posted:

If you have a Saw and the ARC to use Beast Roar, you can perma-stunlock any human model enemy in the whole game. Mash R1, Beast Roar to regain stamina and keep them staggered, repeat. They can't break out, ever. Otherwise, just keep close so he doesn't nuke you with A Call Beyond, and make sure you have at least 1 Stamina to break him out of it if he does start casting it. If you have the Loch Shield from the DLC that's another funny way to trivialize him.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

FanaticalMilk posted:

Just coming to complain that Greirat hasn't come back to my shrine even though I told Patches about him coming to Irithyll before killing Pontiff Sulyvahn without buying the Catarina armor.

Patches came back and is selling me stuff again while squatting now, but didn't say nothing about Greirat. I wonder if I progressed too far down the Profaned Capital path or if fighting Pontiff Sulyvahn at all before sending Patches negates it.

Option 1: buy Catarina set from Patches, give it to Siegward in the Cathedral (in a well), this will have Siegward available in Irithyll. Don't enter Irithyll Dungeon or else Siegward will move along.

Option 2: don't buy Catarina set from Patches so he's still got it in its shop inventory, then tell Patches about sending Greirat to Irithyll.

The idea is that Greirat has to be saved by "that peculiar onion knight", so depending on who actually has the Catarina items at the time, it's either Siegward or Patches.

Easiest method is option 1, and avoid going to Irithyll Dungeon until Greirat's gotten safely back.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Vil posted:

Option 1: buy Catarina set from Patches, give it to Siegward in the Cathedral (in a well), this will have Siegward available in Irithyll. Don't enter Irithyll Dungeon or else Siegward will move along.

Option 2: don't buy Catarina set from Patches so he's still got it in its shop inventory, then tell Patches about sending Greirat to Irithyll.

The idea is that Greirat has to be saved by "that peculiar onion knight", so depending on who actually has the Catarina items at the time, it's either Siegward or Patches.

Easiest method is option 1, and avoid going to Irithyll Dungeon until Greirat's gotten safely back.

If FanaticalMilk hit the Profaned Capital then they're already well past the Irithyll Dungeon.

FanaticalMilk: all you can do at this point is see if Greirat's ashes are in The Spot in that sewer-y area with all the gross centipede monster things. There's that group that cluster in a corner and the ashes are in the middle of them.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

If FanaticalMilk hit the Profaned Capital then they're already well past the Irithyll Dungeon.

FanaticalMilk: all you can do at this point is see if Greirat's ashes are in The Spot in that sewer-y area with all the gross centipede monster things. There's that group that cluster in a corner and the ashes are in the middle of them.

Thanks, that's where they were at. I sent Grierat to Irithyll as soon as I got there, then I got all the way to Profaned Capital before meeting Patches in the Firekeeper tower, then I met Siegward in the well, then told Patches Grierat was in Irithyll and never bought the Catarina armor. Then I beat Pontiff and Patches returned as a merchant but said nothing new, though he was squatting unlike before and gave me the gesture. I'm guessing getting all the way to Profaned Capital before sending Patches out/fighting Pontiff is what screwed it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The NPC quests in DS3 are stupidly fragile. I have never got to see Patched dressed as Siegward in the cathedral because there are so many ways to break that part of the quest.