Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
copied the guy upthread and made the delicious mess that is halal cart chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

large hands posted:

copied the guy upthread and made the delicious mess that is halal cart chicken.

I made this recently, too, and can confirm it was delicious, although I don't think the sauce in the Serious Eats recipe is quite the same as what Halal Guys uses which is what I was envisioning.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 24, 2020

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

mystes posted:

I made this recently, too, and can confirm it was delicious, although I don't think the sauce in the Serious Eats recipe is quite the same as what Halal Guys uses which is what I was envisioning.

I've never been so I just adjust it to what I like, I use a little less sugar and add some garlic powder. I probably use a lot more parsley, too.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
There's always a red sauce on the ones I've gotten. Not entirely sure what it is.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Use the thrillist recipe for the white sauce.

https://www.thrillist.com/recipe/new-york/halal-white-sauce-thrillist-recipes

The red sauce is usually hot sauce/harissa.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
It's supposed to be harissa, I prefer sambal oelek and dumped a bunch on my plate (picture was my wife's)

mystes
May 31, 2006

toplitzin posted:

Thanks. I'll have to try this next time.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Y'all want to make toum probably.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

toplitzin posted:

watered down mayo, eh?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Y'all want to make toum probably.

Toum is good, but Halal Guys' white sauce is not toum.

No pictures because I was drunk/busy but we finally got a propane grill and I went to town yesterday. Skirt steak marinaded in Kenji's chimichurri, potato salad with green beans, fresh corn, a few leftover black beans, more chimichurri, and mayo, and grilled asparagus tossed in the dregs of the chimichurri bowl. Everything was delicious.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Used my last potato to make steak frites. They look janky, but I did the par-fry-freeze-fry technique and they tasted like French fries! I haven’t had fries since Jan.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Drink and Fight posted:

Toum is good, but Halal Guys' white sauce is not toum.

Yeah and it's s probably overrated since so many goons bring it up. Every place I've gotten shawarma has toum or a tzatziki/yogurt sauce. Y'all are choosing mayo instead, yikes.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah and it's s probably overrated since so many goons bring it up. Every place I've gotten shawarma has toum or a tzatziki/yogurt sauce. Y'all are choosing mayo instead, yikes.
To be fair, halal guys used to be really good and cost $6 at 4am, they even had lamb, it now tastes like poo poo since they franchised, all they have is tasteless ground beef and chicken, lovely portions, and oily sauces.

People who still claim it is good never really liked it anyway, they just wanted to be part of the hype. Halal guys is dead, get over it.

I loved the red sauce, always got extra and made my pee feel warm the next day, a nice refreshing change to american "spicy" food, the last time I tried it it was in one of those ketchup packets and was maybe 1/3 as hot?

The white sauce at the cart was a standard yoghurt and I believe they also had a bottle with ranch, so you had to be very careful.

Even the first brick and mortar experiment they did near soho was a disaster, a dollar more expensive for less food that didn't taste as good, it was the begging of the end.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 25, 2020

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Memorial day ribs going to be good tonight

The seasoning jar is blackened seasoning, which I used several large spoonfuls of plus some brown sugar, cumin, and ground mustard

Not pictured: citrus for juice and zest, fish sauce, garlic

Marinated for a few hours this morning in the fridge

kumba fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 25, 2020

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It's not plain old mayo, but yeah it's not as good as a yogurt sauce.

ogarza posted:

To be fair, halal guys used to be really good and cost $6 at 4am, they even had lamb, it now tastes like poo poo since they franchised, all they have is tasteless ground beef and chicken, lovely portions, and oily sauces.

People who still claim it is good never really liked it anyway, they just wanted to be part of the hype. Halal guys is dead, get over it.

I loved the red sauce, always got extra and made my pee feel warm the next day, a nice refreshing change to american "spicy" food, the last time I tried it it was in one of those ketchup packets and was maybe 1/3 as hot?

The white sauce at the cart was a standard yoghurt and I believe they also had a bottle with ranch, so you had to be very careful.

Even the first brick and mortar experiment they did near soho was a disaster, a dollar more expensive for less food that didn't taste as good, it was the begging of the end.

IDK where you live but none of this is true for my local ones except yeah there's no lamb.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Halal Guys the brand is absolutely nothing special. Its only distinguishing feature is that somehow it was able to market itself as a brand to Iowa tourists. Halal carts all over the city are amazing and $6 at 4 am. The spice mixes vary based on the owners' origins, but all of them are amazing and none I've had are really like Kenji's recipe.

Also, let's be real, none of them have actual lamb, it's always gyro meat. Which tbh I'm still down for if it's nice and crispy.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Caprese Avocado Toast

Now I'll never buy a house :[

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Our best approximation of a bahn mi style sandwich (since the closest place is closed), Japanese chashu pork with liverwurst, cucumber, on a chewy roll. Shockingly close.

And, panang curry with snow peas, broccoli, green beans.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

kumba posted:

Memorial day ribs going to be good tonight

The seasoning jar is blackened seasoning, which I used several large spoonfuls of plus some brown sugar, cumin, and ground mustard

Not pictured: citrus for juice and zest, fish sauce, garlic

Marinated for a few hours this morning in the fridge

Verdict: excellent

with roasted green beans and potatoes with garlic butter

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

"Burnt Ends" (chuck), greens, mac and cheese.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

toplitzin posted:

"Burnt Ends" (chuck), greens, mac and cheese.

This is extremely my poo poo.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Any particular recipe/method for your "burnt ends"? I buy pork chuck roast often enough as it is, its cost-to-deliciousness is just the best.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

prayer group posted:

Any particular recipe/method for your "burnt ends"? I buy pork chuck roast often enough as it is, its cost-to-deliciousness is just the best.

This. I gotta know because drat that looks gooooood.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

"Means to a Burnt ends"
a poem.

Buy chuck roast.
Cube meat.
Rub meat.
Smoke meat.
Add bonus liquids
Cover
Braise meat
Sauce meat
Grill meat
Eat meat.

For a more detailed process for this or the pork belly version, additional reading and commentary is available from Malcom at How to BBQ Right.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Tried smoking ribs on our Weber

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I grilled things.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Yet another pizza night

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
I wonder if the extraction fan in my kitchen could handle a BBQ.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
You mean like, setting up a charcoal grill in your kitchen? Don't do that.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

prayer group posted:

Well now, lets hear them out. I think they're on to something here.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

prayer group posted:

Millions of Japanese do it every day, use white charcoal in a real hibachi.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

After moving home from China I have noticed that American home hoods are usually not connected to anything. Maybe in Japan they have actual exhaust fans.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

After moving home from China I have noticed that American home hoods are usually not connected to anything. Maybe in Japan they have actual exhaust fans.

Pretty sure code these days requires them to be vented but that wasn’t always the case.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Pretty sure code these days requires them to be vented but that wasn’t always the case.

In Japan? Because they're definitely not required in the U.S. You can still buy ductless range hoods at any Home Depot or Lowes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheAardvark posted:

In Japan? Because they're definitely not required in the U.S. You can still buy ductless range hoods at any Home Depot or Lowes.

I’m talking about new construction. Of course they still sell ventless for the millions of homes that don’t fall under that.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’m talking about new construction. Of course they still sell ventless for the millions of homes that don’t fall under that.

I think that's a California only thing still :(. My complex is like 2 years old and it's all ventless.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

prayer group posted:

Only one way to find out.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

TheAardvark posted:

I think that's a California only thing still :(. My complex is like 2 years old and it's all ventless.

Yeah, my house is just over a year old and our "hood" vents directly onto the cabinets above the range.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Yeah, my house is just over a year old and our "hood" vents directly onto the cabinets above the range.

Interesting. It looks like the IRC requires it, but I'm guessing a lot of municipalities haven't adopted it, or if they did they amended it out.

(This is apparently for Texas, and every state/municipaltiy that adopts it tends to amend it):

https://up.codes/viewer/texas/irc-2015/chapter/15/exhaust-systems#M1503

edit:

here's my state, which amended it so as to be meaningless:

M1503.1 General

Range hoods shall discharge to the outdoors through a duct. The duct serving the hood shall have a smooth interior surface, shall be air tight, shall be equipped with a back-draft damper and shall be independent of all other exhaust systems. Ducts serving range hoods shall not terminate in an attic or crawl space or areas inside the building.

Exception: Where installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, and where mechanical or natural ventilation is otherwise provided, listed and labeled ductless range hoods shall not be required to discharge to the outdoors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
so I saw this on instagram and it looked fantastic, so I tried it out at home
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAqKGKMFyqG/?igshid=gpxz4b86fopz

Brined and twice fried the pork, melted it with mozz and a little homemade tonkatsu sauce, and served on challah bread with some Japanese curry

I will be laying down for a bit now