Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Fahrenheit had some cool stuff going on but got rushed out half done. If they had gotten to properly complete it, that would have been a classic.

if only they could have fully fleshed out the super saiyans and zombie loving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jamfrost posted:

I remember playing through that game and then getting to the ending. It's kinda like when you get to the third Matrix movie.

Exactly this. The game opens spectacularly, and keeps it up decently up until the superpowers.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It IS a game that lets you fight the Internet, there's that going for it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hogama posted:

It IS a game that lets you fight the Internet, there's that going for it.

That's just Twitter nowadays though.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Hey so weird question. I got an Nvidia Shield about a week ago, and my boyfriend has been playing KOTOR2 on it. But whenever he hits a cutscene either in GeForce Now (through my steam library) or Steam Link, the entire screen just goes black. The sound keeps going, and he can bring up pause menus, but the game never starts displaying again. I saw something on reddit about editing the .ini files, but he's not wanting to mess with that. Do any of you know what's going on with that, or can you tell me if there's a better thread to ask in?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Ok, The Void Rains Upon Her Heart has an obnoxious circa-2010 indie music name and "non-sexual" nudity that exclusively depicts lonely young women, but the game is unbelievably good. It's close to a 10/10. The music is great, the enemy art is good, the bosses are all fun, and reading the steam discussion history the dev is excellent at evaluating player feedback.

Apparently one of the dev's big influences was the end of Kirby games when you ride a star and shoot things, and you can actually see a lot of references (a few of the enemies are very reminiscent of Krakko and there's a re-enactment of sun and moon fighting in Kirby Super Star).

It's unreal how much work has been done on this game and all of the systems and unlocks and how well thought out they all are. If you enjoy bullet hell style gameplay but aren't that interested in memorizing movements and just enjoy the part of the game when you're figuring patterns out, get this game. Unlike most schmups the game really is designed for a wide range of ability levels and there's a lot of attention paid to how the game plays for less experienced players. It is just plain great game design. My only complaint is that charging my shots for six hours straight makes my fingers sore (that, and change the name, and maybe put some clothes on those girls).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 26, 2020

bobsmyuncle
Feb 21, 2006

aw yiss
Omikron was great though. You spend time playing a video game until David Bowie tells you to go outside.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kennel posted:

There's a seven years old Gamasutra comment by their audio guy who says that they spent $450,000 on SR3's music licenses. I wonder how those deals translate to remasters.

And 2's was probably even more expensive given the number of songs included. Really a lot of the issues of comparing 2 and 3 is that the budget of 2 was MASSIVE compared to any of the followups. Just count the number of devs in the credits.

The patch apparently doesn't count as a remaster so they don't have to cut songs with it.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Maneater was extremely fun, worth the $30 with the egs sale for me. Underwater arpg with really good movement and fun moment to moment gameplay. Decent amount of 'puzzles' to reach some collectibles and none felt like bullshit or too obtuse to figure out. Might not appeal to folks bored of the ubi-style collectathon business but since the gameplay was plenty fun it didn't feel bloated or like a chore or anything. Like, one thing you collect is license plates which are usually suspended above the water and you have to figure out the best way to approach it to grab em, but they're kind of tiered based on your ability to launch out of the water which increases as you level up. Thankfully, you just get faster and stronger as the game goes on.

My main gripe is that I completely 100%ed the game just short of 13 hours, and I want more. It was a very, very fun 13 hours. I could see this being a sale darling whenever it hits steam. This was the kind of game that even while I was playing it I was like, drat, the sequel to this should be absolutely badass. Big recommend

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Radiation Cow posted:

Pixel Puzzles Ultimate. The base game is free, you get a couple of puzzles with it. DLC goes on sale often and is super cheap.

My biggest complaint is that you can't choose the style of jigsaw, and some of the ones used in the game suck balls. Just give me traditional jigsaw puzzle pieces, game!

They have a traditional version.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1058200/Pixel_Puzzles_Traditional_Jigsaws/

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I finally (FINALLY) got around to beating Cuphead today and I was wondering if the Expert mode adds anything like different attacks, instead of being "Now the bosses take more damage to kill"? Not that I am complaining, there way already enough gameplay there and it is absolutely too crazy to expect completely new phases and animations that relatively few players will be willing to see.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Expert uses the same attacks/phases/animations but the mechanics are tweaked to make them more difficult beyond just giving the boss more health. They attack more often, have extra projectiles, etc.

It's not tied to difficulty but a few bosses do have alternate routes with unique animation work, that are very easy to miss.

repiv fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 26, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

For some reason while survival/building games normally bore me, there's just something about Terraria that just gets me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SirSamVimes posted:

For some reason while survival/building games normally bore me, there's just something about Terraria that just gets me.

That's a gorgeous base/zone!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Platform masters is looking good!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is Journey mode worth starting on if I haven't really played Terraria before? I have it in my library but haven't really played it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Unlucky7 posted:

Is Journey mode worth starting on if I haven't really played Terraria before? I have it in my library but haven't really played it.

yes please god don't endure the early-game-grind of regular terraria

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I appreciate the novelty of Maneater but I have that thing where I’m terrified of the ocean in general and water levels in video games. I bought sub auto a for some stupid reason at some point and cannot play more than ten minutes of it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Journey mode lets you flip between difficulty levels on the fly and has many other convenience features, none of which you have to use if you think they cheapen the game. There is no real reason to ever play on conventional difficulty modes anymore.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Any good co-op top-down shooters? I finished The Hex, and that scene where you land on an alien planet with synthwave blarring was my jam.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Unlucky7 posted:

Imo if you've never played Terraria, you shouldn't use most of the Journey Mode features like item duplication. There's something very satisfying about building up your character with materials you harvest yourself. This is like... my third or fourth character and I haven't even enabled Journey. I harvested so much sand to make that snowglobe.

If you want to be able to change difficulty midgame and alter spawnrates at will, then do enable it though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Stan Taylor posted:

I appreciate the novelty of Maneater but I have that thing where I’m terrified of the ocean in general and water levels in video games. I bought sub auto a for some stupid reason at some point and cannot play more than ten minutes of it.

But Maneater lets you be the thing in the ocean that terrifies you. Total dominant power game. It's especially great how you start out small, and slowly get bigger and deadlier as you go along. Hello Mr Croc, you scared me when I was but a wee pup, now I'm back to tear you apart limb from limb! Which legit happens. Crocs lose their limbs as you attack them, other sharks lose their tails and fins, you really get to gently caress up the animals in Maneater.

The worst I can say about the game is its very repetitive, but they've honed and refined the gameplay so much that you don't really care. It's just so much fun to go around as a smooth rear end chompy boi.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SirSamVimes posted:

Imo if you've never played Terraria, you shouldn't use most of the Journey Mode features like item duplication. There's something very satisfying about building up your character with materials you harvest yourself. This is like... my third or fourth character and I haven't even enabled Journey. I harvested so much sand to make that snowglobe.

If you want to be able to change difficulty midgame and alter spawnrates at will, then do enable it though.
Yeah, this is maybe not bad advice. It's that Minecraft effect where scrounging and scrimping really makes that first diamond pickaxe feel like an achievement. Once you get past the early stages I think it's fine to ease up on that, though, because the survival game aspect is kind of being left behind by then.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Unlucky7 posted:

Journey mode owns. You still have to collect things, and there's still a bit of a grind to have things, but having like unlimited building materials has made me actually design houses and stuff instead of just building stacked chair/table prison cells. I think I stopped playing the original Terraria when Skeletron was the highest boss, so it's been real fun seeing the huge amount of content the game has now without having to worry about mining out every bit of tungsten just so I can have some nice looking lamps or whatever.
You can use it as little or as much as you want, which is great. You can have unlimited money if you want, or you can just not unlock unlimited money and restrict yourself a bit. Or if you just want to build for a bit, turn spawns down to zero so you don't have to worry about zombies butting in while you're just trying to get a castle wall done.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Platform masters is looking good!
:lol:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SardonicTyrant posted:

Any good co-op top-down shooters? I finished The Hex, and that scene where you land on an alien planet with synthwave blarring was my jam.

Kind of a joke answer, but TORMENTOR X PUNISHER.

It’s like Devil Daggers and Hotline Miami combined, with 2-player co-op.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Yeah re:Maneater that fear of the big wide open hasn't been something that's ever really bothered me but when I first got to the gulf my stomach sank for a second when I saw both how deep and how wide open it was

However, that quickly passed and I saw it more as like how big and wide open gta or far cry maps can be, but registering that you're underwater and That's OK took a minute to uh sink in. You get so big and fast though that it never bothered me a second time fwiw

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Journey mode lets you flip between difficulty levels on the fly and has many other convenience features, none of which you have to use if you think they cheapen the game. There is no real reason to ever play on conventional difficulty modes anymore.
Not that the difficulty slider starts on "extra easy" so you might wanna bump that up to Normal.

I'd recommend not doing it for your first time, but when you've been around the block several dozen times and don't want to care about keeping chests of stuff and actually worrying about building material and poo poo Journey mode is fantastic.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Kind of a joke answer, but TORMENTOR X PUNISHER.

It’s like Devil Daggers and Hotline Miami combined, with 2-player co-op.
I appreciate that the main character consists entirely of swears and screaming. Sold.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

Helldivers is still very good and the complete edition of it goes on sale for hella cheap on sales which we have one coming up at the end of June.

It isn't really a campaign though, if that's what you're looking for.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So I realized I had CoH2 in my library (no idea how; I certainly didn't buy it. Any way to check when it got added?) and since I found out it was an RTS, I decided to give it a shot. Bout halfway though the DL, one of my antivirus flags it. AVG, if that helps

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rebel Blob posted:

They don't claim their older games Omikron or Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy even though they are on Steam. I wonder why?

All I know for sure is that Omikron's soundtrack and subsequent Bowie album completely loving rock and if the game is half that good I really need to get around to playing it.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Milo and POTUS posted:

So I realized I had CoH2 in my library (no idea how; I certainly didn't buy it. Any way to check when it got added?) and since I found out it was an RTS, I decided to give it a shot. Bout halfway though the DL, one of my antivirus flags it. AVG, if that helps

You can dig through your transaction history to find out when you bought or activated it but most likely it's from one of the times they gave it away for free. If you want to know for sure look under account details and "View purchase history" or "View licenses and product key activations".

The virus flag is a false positive and looks like a recurring issue with AVG/Avast, if it's quarantining or deleting it you're gonna have to add it to your exceptions if you want to play it.
If you want a reassurance Windows Defender doesn't have an issue with it and I'm sure the Steam forums would be screaming bloody murder if anything untoward was going on.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 26, 2020

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Jamfrost posted:

That's a great gif.

I don't know if it's a rights thing because two different publishers handled them for PC, it looks like. However, they both still carry the Quantic Dream name for the developer. Maybe their store page is too new and they'll add them later.

Quite possibly, the shame of having made Fahrenheit is too much.

They've added omikron but not Fahrenheit

so maybe shame yes

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

Hey so weird question. I got an Nvidia Shield about a week ago, and my boyfriend has been playing KOTOR2 on it. But whenever he hits a cutscene either in GeForce Now (through my steam library) or Steam Link, the entire screen just goes black. The sound keeps going, and he can bring up pause menus, but the game never starts displaying again. I saw something on reddit about editing the .ini files, but he's not wanting to mess with that. Do any of you know what's going on with that, or can you tell me if there's a better thread to ask in?

Have you updated it to the latest drivers? ini files are plain text configuration files designed to be modified. You can open them in notepad. You can back up the original before you modify it. Some games/programs will even work if you delete the entire file and replace it with a fresh copy. You could test that with your freshly-backed-up original even before you do anything at all.

Random post says: That very well might be a manifestation of one of the current release' known issues : Screen corruption/crash/android frameworks restart/ during video playback.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
You guys made me install Terraria! I last played it... 5 years ago, dear god.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Star Wars: Fallen Order was great all the way through. Starts really brutal due to lack of health, but gets easier as you gain abilities, like many games do. The lightsabre duels are real fun, and the new challenges + make up a battle mode are great to dick around in as well.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

Helldivers

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I don't know how to phrase this in a way that Google could help me, so maybe you can.

For the past month or two, my controller will randomly not get recognized when I boot a game. Turning my controller on and off does nothing to affect it, but restarting the game will. This has happened across multiple games (Remnant, Monster Hunter, Megaman Legacy Collection 1 and 2), so I'm guessing it's something on Steam end.

Any ideas on solutions I could try?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Enter the Gungeon is pretty great. I can't speak to the co-op, because I've never tried it, but it's one of my favorite games. I think I have 200 hours played according to Steam.

it is a rogue-lite, so if run-based games are a hard no for you, you probably won't like it. But it does have a ton of content, and you are unlocking stuff at a pretty good clip early on, so you have a sense of progress as your skill increases and you gradually get further.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m doing a contest with a game most of you likely already own: Dungeons of Dredmor. Giving out two prizes, and you can win both:

A)Post your best Dungeons of Dredmor score this week (this is going to involve the honor system l)
and
B)Give the funniest backstory for their character class choices (this will be super subjective)

Both will get their games 5/29.

Improved my last attempt, but I think I'm done. Still a fun game that's only a few hundred meg to install, but you really need to read up on what everything does online to get the most out of it.
On the plus side, I killed 4 of those evil clones that one-shotted me before. I mean, I didn't stand around to get smacked so I don't know if I had better defence, but I ruined their poo poo with wands and magic.

Only registered members can see post attachments!