Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:turianass: Ah yes, 'Reapers.' The immortal fish of pure hate waiting in dark waters. We have debunked that claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
That was NOT how your typical first encounter with a reaper in subnatica.

Your first encounter usually involves being completely blindsided by one of the loving things in a seamoth near the Aurora or gun island.

If you want to experience that, well people have done compilation vids if people losing their poo poo during a reaper attack, so search that poo poo on youtube and go wild!

Klaus88 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 26, 2020

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Or having a reaper dunk your Prawn below ground where you can do nothing but fall forever, even when you climb out because you're not 'in water' there. Grappling doesn't work because the collision meshes work both ways, so you're stuck in the negaverse that the Reaper put you in.

I've lost two prawns and 6 hours of IRL game time that way and thus I tend to leave Reaper's alone. They are not worth that at all.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Klaus88 posted:

That was NOT how your typical first encounter with a reaper in subnatica.

Your first encounter usually involves being completely blindsided by one of the loving things in a seamoth near the Aurora or gun island.

If you want to experience that, well people have done compilation vids if people losing their poo poo during a reaper attack, so search that poo poo on youtube and go wild!

My first encounter was when I was checking out the fore of the Aurora. I heard something off in the distance but figured it was the ship settling or something.

It was not. It was two of the loving things. That was a horrifying experience.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

DoubleNegative posted:

I think the cubes are meant to be there in more of a ceremonial fashion. Presumably there's some sort of supercomputer at each of the sites that're housing the actual data.

Or the cubes were being used as a power source and I just turned off the batteries on a priceless and irreplaceable cache of data.

One of the PDAs specifically mentions that the cubes aren't being drawn on for power, so your AI isn't sure why they're there. My hypothesis: backup batteries.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Night10194 posted:

My first encounter was when I was checking out the fore of the Aurora. I heard something off in the distance but figured it was the ship settling or something.

It was not. It was two of the loving things. That was a horrifying experience.

My first encounter with a Reaper was when I decided to swim towards the aft of the Aurora in search of materials, saw a fin breach the water in the distance, and decided to go and see who this new friend was.

It wasn't a friend :gonk:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think my first encounter of one was off in the distance at one point. The biome map mod I'm using has these red circles on the map that I was curious about what they meant, turns out I got the answer for that real fast as I approach one of those areas and just see a reaper off in the distance. I instantly went back the way I came, safe with the knowledge I'd avoid those areas as much as possible.

I think I managed to get attacked by one once when I got careless. Pretty sure it made me jump slightly and I panicky lashed out with my knife against it in a vain attempt to make it leave.

Then I admittedly cheated and added a mod that made them peaceful. Even if they can still roar, which was a fun moment to find a time capsule underneath a Reaper and look around in panic whenever I heard it and fully expect it to see it bear down on me.

But the mod only affects the Reapers. Everything else, like the Ghost leviathans, are still out for my blood. Been sneak attacked by one of them before, which was fun. :v:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Being blindsided by a leviathan is a uniquely terrifying experience that starkly illustrates how poorly adapted and prepared humans are to survive in murder ocean world.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

So what happens if you decide to fight a Ghost with your PRAWN? Is that viable, or suicide?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Baby ghost leviathans have an insane amount of health. I managed to pin one against the ceiling of the Lost River and killed it. It took several straight minutes of uninterrupted drilling. It's just not feasible to kill an adult. Possible, sure. But there are so many better uses of your time... like staring off into space for 20 minutes instead.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What about those Crab Squid?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Or having a reaper dunk your Prawn below ground where you can do nothing but fall forever, even when you climb out because you're not 'in water' there. Grappling doesn't work because the collision meshes work both ways, so you're stuck in the negaverse that the Reaper put you in.

I've lost two prawns and 6 hours of IRL game time that way and thus I tend to leave Reaper's alone. They are not worth that at all.

I think my favorite encounter was when a reaper somehow spawned under the map in the Mountain biome and clipped through the wall of the cave I was exploring to grab me.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Im not a fan of Markiplier's content because of his shtick, but he does seem like a really nice guy from all accounts.
De does have the kind of voice where he could, if he liked, have a career in professional voiceovers.

To be fair, he's not the worst youtuber by a long shot though admittedly I mostly know him from Did You Know Gaming.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The line "If you can hear it, it can see you." is just so bone-chilling.

And I don't care for Mark, because I loathe people overreacting while playing bideo jams.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Fair though he's hardly the only Youtuber's whose had an experience with Reaper to put it politely as Klaus mentioned earlier.

Speaking of, the first thing that popped into my head while DN was fighting it was this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsZYQb53kKI

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I can't wait for ya'll to experience the "wonders" of Below Zero.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

No 'From Hell's heart I stab at thee!'? while taking on the big guy? For shame.

You were even on a Nantucket Sleighride!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The drill is the only realistic way to kill stuff and it still takes so long as to be unsatisfying, you just learn to content yourself with scaring them away and calling them names.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Even when warned in advance that a Reaper was going to appear, I still recoiled a bit when Screamy popped up in the cyclops's face.

Screw it, I've just bought Below Zero. Installing now while I watch the rest of the update.

ousire fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 26, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

By popular demand posted:

The drill is the only realistic way to kill stuff and it still takes so long as to be unsatisfying, you just learn to content yourself with scaring them away and calling them names.

It's an explicit design decision, in fact. They very much did not want you killing predators, even while they still wanted to let you have the option. Not only is it tedious, they took care to make sure killing them has as little intrinsic reward as possible - they don't have fancy death animations or drop any sort of loot, so the only reason to actually kill one is if you just plain need it gone.

I like it, personally.

As for the ion cubes, I agree they're probably backup power for these cold-soul-storage terminals. Since we have seen first hand that the main power network is still very functional, there doesn't seem to be any harm in taking them. Might be a problem if the power network does go down, but who would be coming back to download these guys anyway?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Klaus88 posted:

unfortunately the good compilations are buried in a sea of obnoxious pro streamers going OH MY JESUS GOD WHAT IN THE ACTUAL making GBS threads oval office gently caress I AM SO SCARED I AM SO SCARED RIGHT NOW YOU GUYS I AM SO SCARED

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

As for the ion cubes, I agree they're probably backup power for these cold-soul-storage terminals. Since we have seen first hand that the main power network is still very functional, there doesn't seem to be any harm in taking them. Might be a problem if the power network does go down, but who would be coming back to download these guys anyway?

This always works out well in horror movies

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
But just think how much money our company could make off them!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

By popular demand posted:

The drill is weaker than both the Prawn's punch and your basic knife. The Thermo Knife is roughly equivalent to the Prawn Punch if only because you can swing it way faster than you can punch.

Both still take multiple minutes of punching/flailing to kill anything you want to kill though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pinch*

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm tellin ya, repulsion cannon. Hitting leviathans with that thing feels like punching God. You won't kill em, but it's satisfying as hell.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Stasis rifle them and then slap ten floaters on them while they're stuck.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

We are talking about disposing of hostile wildlife, not cruelty to undeserving animals.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Does that get rid of them or do floaters pop at some point?
I admit I went with the most boring solution and used decoys in my game.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Floaters never expire on their own, that's part of why they're such hellish things when they go wrong.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Does that get rid of them or do floaters pop at some point?
I admit I went with the most boring solution and used decoys in my game.

I actually never got the decoy blueprint in my most recent run, so I just made do with the Cyclops Shield and spare power cells.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

This LP motivated me to play through the game. After several sleepless nights I've managed to finish it.

I built a base almost directly beneath the lifepod I landed in. Wasn't the most ideal place, but uh...

I wasn't hurting for enameled glass.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PurpleXVI posted:

that's funny, but less satisfying. Also they really glitched like mad when I tried that.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

oldskool posted:

This LP motivated me to play through the game. After several sleepless nights I've managed to finish it.

I built a base almost directly beneath the lifepod I landed in. Wasn't the most ideal place, but uh...

I wasn't hurting for enameled glass.

I had to restart my playthrough a while ago, but I always end up building small base near the lifepod for storage, then I move it to the Red Grass areas to really stretch it out and make sure the Cyclops can visit

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Req.Martyr posted:

I had to restart my playthrough a while ago, but I always end up building small base near the lifepod for storage, then I move it to the Red Grass areas to really stretch it out and make sure the Cyclops can visit

I didn't even power mine or supply air to it. It was literally just a tube on the ground under the lifepod that I stuffed with storage lockers. I just really hated the idea of making those little floating lockers that hold half as much as normal ones, but take twice the material to make.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Those things make me paranoid: I'm certain they drift slightly.

Also, the Aurora explosion. I read that it kills you if you're in the Crash Site biome, but I'm pretty sure there's also a distance component, because I was sneaking into that little section of the Mushroom Forest next to the Aurora's bow when it popped and well... That was disappointing.

It's beginning to seem like, as I explore the world and check .jpg maps (weird mod issues?), That the top half of the map is pretty awful and often not necessary to visit? Weird.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
#22 - Disease Research

We visit the story location that nobody visits because it makes the Warpers go berserk

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The game has given us a pretty thorough look at the Kharaa now, and it's worth noting that nothing says it kills infected creatures. Those warpers are likely doing a very important job...

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
I love the Bulp zone entrance to the Lost River. I actually first found it by leaving the Lost River that way. When you leave, all the biolumenescent critters on the roof and sides of the cave there look like the stars. My favorite place in the whole game I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

What was it that the Cyclops said? I couldn't catch it.