Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Basscop posted:

Just gonna go ahead and say that it's really loving weird that Tudyia is so pissed off at hearing about this.

We didn't trade with them.
We haven't advocated trading with them.
We didn't even help them in any way.
We found out what they are interested in and hosed off with the info.

That's what we did.

Tudiya on the other hand he found that one day El had put wanderlust in his heart. So he rounded up the bulk of the mighty men and marched off into the cannibal infested jungle to a village ON THE BEACH. YOU KNOW THE BEACH WITH THE OCEAN NEXT TO IT
He met Shushem and tried some friendly talk and then handed the cannibal demon priest a jug of wine as a token of friendship or something.

I just can't seem to think of a reason for him to be pissed at us for telling him about the Badad/Ninurshag thing. The only reason i can think of is that Zepathans are so xenophobic that us just entertaining the possibility of communicating with an alien people should be punishable, and that we should instead have punched the self writing block of stone immediately. That's just not a good reason even for him.
The Tudiya we know now is an entirely different person from the Tudiya who happened on Og and has been since Rimush died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Guys we need to build an ocean-going fishing boat and go bowfishing. I bet we catch something neat! :haw:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

A

Damage control! Damage control! I'm curious if he will remain mad just at us mentioning them or see straight through what we are doing, or let the subject drop. I don't know if we can satisfy him at all, I was concerned when we went out for our trip as to what we were going to do when we got back. Hopefully, his mannerisms don't mean he has already made up his mind and thinks we were being a manipulative idiot to go adventuring.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

A

You mooks

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

He's going to be REAL pissed when the embigeners don't show up cause Asahel couldn't find the spot or the mob from Kazdak stole it

Diogines posted:

It is good fortune you have come to my door for my father very much wished to speak with you, but it seems you were too occupied with your... late night deliveries to pay him a visit." Poker does not exist in Ur but if it did, you and Uriah maintain faces appropriate for it.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

A

Getting that “Dad is staring at us too intensely while we’re trying to explain something” uncomfortable feeling :tif:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I really doubt the mob managed to track two stealth experts with a century's wilderness experience hundreds of miles out into the middle of nowhere without us noticing. Seeing us leaving the inner city with a loot katamari is very different from successfully looting the loot.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
A

Big u turn here.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
A.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

FoxTerrier posted:

A

You mooks

Ya.

Hey let's come clean about indor and everything else we've done as well. Clean slate come on guys.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Yikes I didn't know we voted to come clean lmao.

A

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

A

Esper
Nov 23, 2004
Killed a baboon, once.
A

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
A

Basscop posted:

Just gonna go ahead and say that it's really loving weird that Tudyia is so pissed off at hearing about this.

We didn't trade with them.
We haven't advocated trading with them.
We didn't even help them in any way.
We found out what they are interested in and hosed off with the info.

That's what we did.

Tudiya on the other hand he found that one day El had put wanderlust in his heart. So he rounded up the bulk of the mighty men and marched off into the cannibal infested jungle to a village ON THE BEACH. YOU KNOW THE BEACH WITH THE OCEAN NEXT TO IT
He met Shushem and tried some friendly talk and then handed the cannibal demon priest a jug of wine as a token of friendship or something.

I just can't seem to think of a reason for him to be pissed at us for telling him about the Badad/Ninurshag thing. The only reason i can think of is that Zepathans are so xenophobic that us just entertaining the possibility of communicating with an alien people should be punishable, and that we should instead have punched the self writing block of stone immediately. That's just not a good reason even for him.

I'm with you, but my read is that he's concerned because he's hearing about us dealing with obvious inhuman creatures that tampered with our brains. He's frowning now because he doesn't like what he's hearing - we encountered strange magic inhuman creatures who plagued us with illusions, then sat down and had a nice chat with them. He's worried that we've been hosed around with, or are otherwise showing terrible judgment, and asking for permission to trade with them would be the final nail in the coffin.

Maybe I didn't take the 'try to convince him to trade' bit of the previous vote seriously enough; what I wanted to do, and would like to do now as a write-in really, is just to give him all the facts about Ninhursag and let him make his informed decision. The vote for A now is basically that - I don't know if the blue-stone thing is the best way to spin it. We could just say 'Anyway, that's what happened, I thought you'd want to know, what would you like to do about it?' But A's good enough I guess.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

Theglavwen posted:

A

The vote for A now is basically that - I don't know if the blue-stone thing is the best way to spin it. We could just say 'Anyway, that's what happened, I thought you'd want to know, what would you like to do about it?' But A's good enough I guess.

Yeah, I feel like we should be saying 'it was very, very weird, they wanted stuff from us, but the deal they offered is super suspect and I would appreciate your vast wisdom and guidance, o my father.'

And look, as has been pointed out, we're never going to actually trade with these guys, it's a decades-long effort. What they did do is tell us that uranium => x => bluestone, and that's a massive deal. We won as soon as they told us that, let's not gently caress ourselves over for no reason now.

Voting A and maybe tone down some of the enkidel-obviously-lying-to-his-dad thing.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

occluded posted:

Voting A and maybe tone down some of the enkidel-obviously-lying-to-his-dad thing.

I support this sane notion.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

occluded posted:

And look, as has been pointed out, we're never going to actually trade with these guys, it's a decades-long effort. What they did do is tell us that uranium => x => bluestone, and that's a massive deal. We won as soon as they told us that, let's not gently caress ourselves over for no reason now.

That's my take too. If blue stuff can be made that might be just as useful to us in the kind of time scale (post Tudiya) that we could really trade with them anyway. I'm also not stoked about being drawn into a weird subservient relationship with a bunch of secretive aliens regardless.

A

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
A No tradey.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Missed a golden chance to just cycle through Gilgamesh’s range of emotions until we realised ourselves we were about to get an express trip back to the grasslands imo Diog

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
As if pops would waste time with decadent gold adornments like some kind of petty tyrant

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

SniperWoreConverse posted:

As if pops would waste time with decadent gold adornments like some kind of petty tyrant

That's clearly just... Very shiny blooded bronze. Yes. Obviously.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
A

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

So the artist took some creative interpretation to the description of the subject, it's not heresy.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

A

Every time we go on a big adventure we, as players, lose perspective on what the people back in Zepath and Kavodel are like. We get used to just doing what we want, and then we get reactions from people that we don't expect when we get home. This time let's just take it easy.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
B

The obviously bad choice won, so let the ramifications of that obviously bad choice play out. I get and understand the justification for having a "Are you reeeeeeeally sure you want to do this?" vote given how close it was, but as has come up quite often in the past - if you ask the voters, "Do you want to smash yourself in the dick with a hammer? Y/N", they're going to vote N.

The people voted for dick smashing, we're 5+ years into this whole thing, so by El dispense with the warnings and give 'em the smashy smashy.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Task Manager posted:

B

The obviously bad choice won

Wasnt there a significant write in to do A without advocating for trade?
Iirc the choices were: tell about badad AND advocate for trade.
Or just dont tell him about badad.

I just dont see what is so volatile about presenting him with the information we learned

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

A

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Basscop posted:

Wasnt there a significant write in to do A without advocating for trade?
Iirc the choices were: tell about badad AND advocate for trade.
Or just dont tell him about badad.

I just dont see what is so volatile about presenting him with the information we learned

Just telling him the info and not advocating for actual trade is slightly less bad IMO, but still pretty unreasonable of voters to expect that Tudiya would in any way shape or form want to hear anything about the cursed city of Badad and what we found there.

"Hey pops so we ventured to this cursed city of the damned which is famously isolationist and there was a big ol' sign out front that read,"

Diogines posted:

"Do not traveler further.
---
Your bleached bones will be left until turned to dust by wind and time.
----
No traders will find profit here, nor travelers rest nor succor.
---
Cry out with parched lips to the heights above and still you will not enter.
---
Envoys not deterred, approach and stay on the path. You will not be granted admittance. No deal shall be struck, you may futily shout your desire to the heights.
"

"And you know me I never met a sign saying to go away that I didn't barrel past so we ventured in and wouldn't you know it, even more of that ancient history and tradition you hold dear to your heart turns out to have been a big ol' lie and there's some bizarre dudes there that clearly aren't Badad's descendants. Just thought you should know!"

There was just zero indication that on any front that he would have been happy to hear about this. If anything was told to him (still something I feel like is a bad idea), we should have just told him some form of, "Badad appears to not be as it seems, and has been taken over by foul demons. I took no further action and we left, but I thought you should know." And even then Super Orthodox Daddy would probably have still gotten a bit bent out of shape that we ignored a sign telling us not to go there, and that more lies are piling up against the House of Baitel.

Task Manager fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 26, 2020

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Thats still straight up unreasonable

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Yeah my write in was ‘just tell him what we saw, ask him if he has any insight on it, and accept whatever he tells us’

I didn’t think too much about how he would take just straight knowledge of what we saw. Or that he might consider trekking through the flats a violation of his decree to not seek glory. I suppose we can try to convince him that everywhere we stopped had something either incredibly wrong with it (cults, etc) or was helpful so why not? If he came back with ‘that was very foolish. you should heed warnings of such dire circumstances in the future. you two will not speak of this and will not pursue it further. leave the rocks with me and I will dispose of them properly. i have no records of what this city is but it should be left alone as they wish.’ and then Uriah smacks us upside the head and says ‘told you dipshit’

I would have been fine with that. At best we spend a massive amount of our free time before the jubilee digging rocks instead of building walls or whatever. We show up, a bankers pneumatic tube spits out a sword, and the people’s republic tells us ‘thanks now kindly gently caress off’ before they nuke Baitel.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Important message for right voters:

Balder
Apr 3, 2011
A

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

1. A

I honestly don't think trading was ever a real possibility - they want too much and don't like us, they're not likely to offer us a fair deal, and most of the stuff we're giving AND receiving are things that we have no idea of the relative value of. It's all valuable, somehow, and trading away bluestones is a big no-go given how every faction we know of wants the hell out of them, including our own by two different metrics. We tell Tudiya they wanted to trade and told us about possibly-valuable rocks, including how to identify some poison ones that we can tell Zepathans to stay away from. We came out ahead (in that we gained valuable knowledge) and he'll know that trading is an option if he doesn't think it's a terrible plan without us telling him.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

FIND HER

BRING HER HOME

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

To get HER?

e.f.b

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

:hmmyes:

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

A

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

But why would someone make a message for no one?

A

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat
A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Yeah I'm abstaining. Tudiya and the rest are so inconsistent with their reactions that telling them anything is rolling the dice.