Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Giga Gaia posted:

julia child and jacques pepin were also on tv for years teaching people how to cook things. sometimes overly buttery things, but solid nonetheless. they were also getting hammered during the show, which is something thats missing from food tv imo

that's how much butter is used at restaurants friend. that's why it tastes so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGbRwUojtcw

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
There’s a whole subgenre of internet articles devoted to how disgusting the food in vintage cookbooks is. My mom was a terrible cook and also only owned bizarre Betty Crocker and BH&G cookbooks and a big bin of McCall’s recipe cards. Most families I knew growing up weren’t cooking out of “The Art of French Cooking” they were cooking out of “1001 Quick Low Cal Microwave Spreads for Your Key Parties”

https://m.ranker.com/list/disgusting-food-from-vintage-cookbooks/kellen-perry

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

i dont think this is a particularly good take. just watching people who are good at cooking actually cook can really help you improve.

hands and pans videos, when theyre done right, are legitimately decently instructive. i've definitely improved as a cook by just watching too many BA & Food Wishes videos tbh

That's not what cookbooks are for though.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

dex_sda posted:

that's how much butter is used at restaurants friend. that's why it tastes so good

never said i wasnt down to clown

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
My mother gave me her Betty Crocker cookbook from the 70s. It is legitimately hilarious as an artifact.

atomicgeek has issued a correction as of 03:42 on May 26, 2020

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Giga Gaia posted:

never said i wasnt down to clown

hell yea

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

atomicgeek posted:

My mother gave me her Betty Crocker cookbook from the 70s. It is legitimately hilarious as an artifact.

And the 70s version is already modernized compared to the original

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

atomicgeek posted:

Immediately sent this to my fiancée so she knows what's up. Her eggs have been wilin' out lately

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

atomicgeek posted:

Well what are they?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDJ3WZt8LQo

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Len posted:

Well what are they?

fighter
thief
cleric
mage
dwarf
elf

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

Well what are they?

Angry
Contrite
Violent
Sincere
Gentle
Bemused

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Failed Imagineer posted:

Immediately sent this to my fiancée so she knows what's up. Her eggs have been wilin' out lately

:sever:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
go beyond cookbooks....

https://www.amazon.ca/Flavor-Bible-...90430871&sr=8-1

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

apatheticman posted:

go beyond cookbooks....

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What is the bonkers cookbook that had Virgin Mary's favorite recipe (its creamed spinach) and other great hits?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My mom's always been real good at cooking, as has everyone on her side of the family. My cousin got a custom recipe book printed up of stuff that's been in our family, some going all the way back to before we immigrated from Europe in the 1800's, I have a copy and it's great :colbert:

Now I'm honoring that long family tradition by eating frozen dinners and pizza

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
My mom always cooked for us but she grew up In the USSR where you couldn’t get a frozen Swanson lasagna that feeds 6 people for $5.

And that’s why capitalism is great folks

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

The Bloop posted:

Angry
Contrite
Violent
Sincere
Gentle
Bemused

I was going to post the real answer but this one is more correct.

My mom was the child of Depression parents, and grew up legit loving soggy veg from cans and other Midwestern monstrosities, so it took me many years of trying new things as an adult to realize I actually love lots of kinds of food, veg included. I now cook for her every so often and I'm always very happy when she goes "ooh! What's in this?!" Not out of spite, but because I love fresh things with lots of spices and I want to share them with her. The Betty Crocker book is hilarious, though, because it's basically all postwar white people food. Soooooo much meat and jello and more meat and margarine.

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!
https://twitter.com/SerenaEGolden/status/1264698773097385995

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

atomicgeek posted:

My mom was the child of Depression parents, and grew up legit loving soggy veg from cans and other Midwestern monstrosities, so it took me many years of trying new things as an adult to realize I actually love lots of kinds of food, veg included. I now cook for her every so often and I'm always very happy when she goes "ooh! What's in this?!" Not out of spite, but because I love fresh things with lots of spices and I want to share them with her. The Betty Crocker book is hilarious, though, because it's basically all postwar white people food. Soooooo much meat and jello and more meat and margarine.

So what does over hard map to? Asking for a friend.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

atomicgeek posted:

The depression, then prohibition, then the war did a real jab-jab-uppercut on american gastronomy.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

and that was followed up by better living through chemistry

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

taqueso posted:

and that was followed up by better living through chemistry

it's funny because now we're having worse living through angry chemistry

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Failed Imagineer posted:

mr molyneux it’s an honor

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
also go listen to the f-plus recipe episodes they are great

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

LastInLine posted:

I was a picky eater as a child because once I was an adult and tried all this poo poo I thought I didn't like it turned out that it was because my mom was a terrible cook who hated spices of any kind and thought that all meat should be cooked until black.
I was right there with you but because of mental disorder. After I hit age eighteen and got diagnosed and started getting treatment I started realizing that I could actually eat some of those foods I had been too worried to eat.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

atomicgeek posted:

This is why brining was invented, and you should try it.

also temp sticks are your friend.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Oneiros posted:

i grew up with hockey puck steaks because my dad was terrified of mad cow, thank god for a-1 sauce. i assume the "advice" about leaving big pots of soup/stew out to cool before putting them in the fridge dates back to when they weren't capable of handling a big, hot mass without letting the overall temp of the system climb outside of safe bounds for a while.

i keep a bunch of water in my fridge and surround/segregate any big containers of hot food i put in from, say, the milk, with it just to be safe.

I think it has to do with the steam coming off your foods. if you put food directly into a cold fridge it will turn that moisture into condensation and basically your food will become a runny mess. When I was cooking I had a chef that was really into this but he was the only one that ever did it and I didn't really notice a difference in the soups we were holding.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Lambert posted:

Different types of recipe books for varying levels of skill have existed then and do exist now. The huge books containing tons of recipes usually are meant more as a reference to the more experienced cook and don't explain everything in excruciating detail.

yeah books for trained chefs don't spend time talking about technique. They just assume you know how to cook but you want to learn some of the recipes from other restaurants, The best thing you can get for yourself is the Larousse gastronomique. Its pretty all encompassing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ManBoyChef posted:

also temp sticks are your friend.

Personally I find them a bit dry, too.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

ManBoyChef posted:

I think it has to do with the steam coming off your foods. if you put food directly into a cold fridge it will turn that moisture into condensation and basically your food will become a runny mess. When I was cooking I had a chef that was really into this but he was the only one that ever did it and I didn't really notice a difference in the soups we were holding.

if your food is soupy/saucy (chili or stews) that you will reheat and serve hot it doesn't matter, when you reheat it just add more water and reduce back to desired consistency. If your food is gonna be served cold OR is something like cooked meat that you'll reheat later you should wait for the exact reason you say, it's gonna be a mess. The meat will dry out weirdly and everything that absorbs water will become a runny mess.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

dex_sda posted:

as a chef I can agree with this. I used to start my day clarifying 4 lbs of butter. I would add lbs of butter throughout the day. I would go through a case of butter ever three days.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

dex_sda posted:

if your food is soupy/saucy (chili or stews) that you will reheat and serve hot it doesn't matter, when you reheat it just add more water and reduce back to desired consistency. If your food is gonna be served cold OR is something like cooked meat that you'll reheat later you should wait for the exact reason you say, it's gonna be a mess. The meat will dry out weirdly and everything that absorbs water will become a runny mess.

thats what I thought. What was wild was we cooked all meats to order unless we were doing like osso bucco or something of that nature. That guy was a real stickler for everything.

necroid
May 14, 2009

osso buco has only 1 c and I keep reading it written with 2

:negative:

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

ManBoyChef posted:

thats what I thought. What was wild was we cooked all meats to order unless we were doing like osso bucco or something of that nature. That guy was a real stickler for everything.

I'm not a professional chef but I learned the techniques to cook to impress by learning from a few and it boils down to:
1) get fresh, quality ingredients
2) cook them to order
3) use techniques that allow the ingredient quality to pop out (usually, these techniques will be simple)
4) add butter/sugar/oil/s&p/msg whenever possible

So a steak is just: buy good steak. just before cooking slather it in salt, pepper and a pinch of msg. turn the pan up so it's ripping hot, cover the bottom with high smoke point oil like rapeseed judiciously. Sear on both sides, then throw garlic, a lot of butter and a bunch of fresh thyme into the pan. baste on both sides with the oil until desired doneness is reached. rest for as long as it took to cook.

assuming you hit the doneness correctly, congrats, you just made a steak as good as you will get in a michelin starred restaurant.

So that's easy. As far as I can tell, the real trick to being an actual chef is being able to handle cooking multiple courses at the same time, handle prep, organise your ingredients and know where to cut corners.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

atomicgeek posted:

Even if we ignore the premise of female servitude, why is it necessary to know all six ways? Is she marrying six men?