Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

ILL Machina posted:

How are you guys generating enough defense on watcher in high sec without helix?

Watcher has some of the best defense cards in the game. Wallop and talk to the hand are obscenely good. For more reliable defense, every deck should have at least one protect. It's one of the best common cards watcher has. Deny reality is solid filler too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ugusername posted:

Pyramid Pain is a big big nono. In general Pain Rupture is not that good of scaling engine. Maaaaaaybe with Reaper in the deck already and even then.

Yeah I thought I could make up with it for Singing Bowl, Feed, Eternal Feather, maybe turn in the idol for Bloody Idol. Mmmmmnope.

When I drew my starting hand and it had Pain but Rupture was nowhere to be found, it kind of sunk in that I was in trouble. :lol:

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Watcher has some of the best defense cards in the game. Wallop and talk to the hand are obscenely good. For more reliable defense, every deck should have at least one protect. It's one of the best common cards watcher has. Deny reality is solid filler too.

protect+ is such a startlingly good card

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Zvahl posted:

protect+ is such a startlingly good card

It's a little shocking, when you compare it to flame barrier which blocks for the same amount. Like, FB is really good if it shows up on the exact turn that you need it, but protect is just ALWAYS solid because of how drat reliable it is.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Protect+ is so great it makes Establishment one of the best rares in the game.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

MJeff posted:

Protect+ is so great it makes Establishment one of the best rares in the game.

Establishment is so much fun if you have a Meditate or two.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

I was smashing through the game last night with Silent, dead branch, shiv generators, all attacks do poison, all poison +1 etc etc. While I was watching something on the other screen. I collected all the pieces for the heart battle before the end of act II - because I thought I was at the end of act III.

Got to act IV and it turns out I hadnt actually picked up any meaningful block/mitigation in the entire run. The heart is a harsh mistress.

What ascension? I just experienced the madness of dead branch shiv Silent on A5 for the first time and scored my third silent heart kill. It was pretty much autopilot the whole time, just watching a pretty light show, with all the random crap I was spewing out - after image was big though.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I don't know if it's been mentioned in the thread yet, but an important piece of info that might help:

After 3 normal hallway fights in a single act, future hallway fights within that same act are now "hard". That means the tougher mobs and harder groups start coming out.

So, always try not to have more than 3 hallway fights in a single act unless you have, like, feed or lesson learned.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

ugusername posted:

Pyramid Pain is a big big nono. In general Pain Rupture is not that good of scaling engine. Maaaaaaybe with Reaper in the deck already and even then.

:smuggo:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I was wondering, "How the gently caress did he win with two thunderclaps?" And then I saw the champ's belt...

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I don't know if it's been mentioned in the thread yet, but an important piece of info that might help:

After 3 normal hallway fights in a single act, future hallway fights within that same act are now "hard". That means the tougher mobs and harder groups start coming out.

So, always try not to have more than 3 hallway fights in a single act unless you have, like, feed or lesson learned.

In act 2 & 3 it's only the first 2 hallway fights.

Realistically you're not going to dodge all of the harder hallway fights, and you don't necessarily want to - unless you've got a really tight deck going you probably want the card draws (and gold + potions don't hurt either.) But yeah, it's one of the many reasons you do want to keep the number of hallway fights down, especially in act 2 (gently caress the avocado.)

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

Wow nice man! Honestly really good deck. How good was Pandora?

MJeff posted:

Yeah I thought I could make up with it for Singing Bowl, Feed, Eternal Feather, maybe turn in the idol for Bloody Idol. Mmmmmnope.

When I drew my starting hand and it had Pain but Rupture was nowhere to be found, it kind of sunk in that I was in trouble. :lol:

What were you boss relic choices? Like a post above you could make it work later in the run but it really needs support with a lot of draw and immediate health gain. Reaper I mean one of the best Ironclad cards period.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The easy pool is actually only 3 fights in act 1. In act 2 and 3, the easy pool is 2 fights. However, I'd say it matters less in act 3. The darkling fight is in both pools, and can definitely kill you. Triple jaw worms is in the act 3 hard pool though.

But in general, I don't think you're fighting enough hallway fights if you try to fight 7 for the entire run (3 easy fights in act 1, 2 in each of the next acts). It's usually good to fight exactly 3 fights before fighting the first elite in act 1, but beyond that, it's hard to make some kind of hard and fast rule about how many hallway fights you should be taking. Sometimes the gold and card rewards are worth it, and you might also want to take more hallway fights if you have Feed, Lesson Learned, or Ritual Dagger.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I was wondering, "How the gently caress did he win with two thunderclaps?" And then I saw the champ's belt...

The belt was nice, but less important than the insane strength scaling (I routinely hit 50+ strength), the reaper, and the Self-Forming Clay. Every time Pain dinged me for 1, Clay blocked for 3 on the next turn.

ugusername posted:

I'm quoting you again to be unironic here. Of course what you posted here is correct the vast majority of the time. It was just super amusing that I had that 1 in 500 run where Pyramid/Pain was not just OK, but actually very very strong, and then I came here to post about it, and saw a quote about how Pain/Pyramid is terrible (which, of course, it usually is).

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

ugusername posted:

What were you boss relic choices? Like a post above you could make it work later in the run but it really needs support with a lot of draw and immediate health gain. Reaper I mean one of the best Ironclad cards period.

IIRC, I got both Ruptures and the Combust from Box, and after that I had a plan.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ugusername posted:

I don't remember, but I don't think the other two were very good. Like, if Snecko or one of the good energy relics had been there, I'd have probably taken that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

I got so much great poo poo in this run, even got to trade Blood Vial for Bites and the game just had to ruin it by not giving me any good block. :[

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Do people like trading blood vial for bites? I usually tell the vampires to piss off anyhow, unless for whatever reason I'm still stuck with most/all of my starting Strikes. Bite's a good card but I don't want 5 of them.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
And on the very next run
- Take Curse and a Rare Relic from Neow, she gives me Du-Vu Doll.
- Get the Warped Tongs event, figure what the hell, it's Warped Tongs and +1 strength and take it.
- Then the chest gives me Tungsten Rod. :lol:
Sometimes stuff works out!

Straight White Shark posted:

Do people like trading blood vial for bites? I usually tell the vampires to piss off anyhow, unless for whatever reason I'm still stuck with most/all of my starting Strikes. Bite's a good card but I don't want 5 of them.

I like Bite (especially in that deck when I was trying to get HP loss and strength stuff - I was hoping to find Combust and Rupture), I just hate giving up max HP. I usually say no thank you to Bite and Apparition because of that, but yeah, I'll trade the vial for it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Apparition is amazing and usually worth the HP trade, I just don't like how much the bites clog up my deck. This is rarely an issue with Apparition because if you draw Apparition you get to stall for a turn and get a whole new hand to work with, so on balance Apparition generally lets you get further into your deck to find key cards. Meanwhile if you draw into a bunch of bites that's not going to keep you alive against any threat worth caring about.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i normally make the trade if i have a way to gain max HP, or if i'm seriously wounded, or if i have the blood vial, or if i have the attack egg, or if i inexplicably am suffering for decent basic attacks and have been removing curses instead of strikes. i tend to take it more on ironclad/watcher than silent/defect

adding a conditional +1 damage and +2 block to all your strikes isn't too bad sometimes

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I usually take apparition unless there is a very good reason not to with my current setup, or if I'm super confident that I dont need to. I only take the bites if I'm currently under half health and still have most of the starting strikes in the deck as a general rule of thumb.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Besides number of strikes left in deck, being really good at stalling (for example with disarm/malaise/lots of frost orb block) also increases Bite value a lot since you can heal a lot in some fights by sticking to Bites alone. And obviously Molten Egg makes Bites generally very good unless you've removed a lot of strikes - and even then, a strength-scaling Ironclad might want them.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man, Gremlin Nob is such a nightmare for Defect. I feel like that's gotta be one of the worst specific character-enemy interactions in the game from the player perspective.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Has there been any news about what the developer is doing next?

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I just checked Mega Crit's Twitter and Facebook pages, and I already usually check the Slay the Spire subreddit once a week or so. As far as I know, no news since Watcher was added to consoles.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

MJeff posted:

Man, Gremlin Nob is such a nightmare for Defect. I feel like that's gotta be one of the worst specific character-enemy interactions in the game from the player perspective.

I find nob to be harder for Silent. You absolutely need an attack like compile driver/ball lightning/cold snap though.

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.
The only newish thing to come is the mobile release, but that still seems to be in limbo.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

What ascension? I just experienced the madness of dead branch shiv Silent on A5 for the first time and scored my third silent heart kill. It was pretty much autopilot the whole time, just watching a pretty light show, with all the random crap I was spewing out - after image was big though.

Ascension 4. After Image definitely would have helped. So much dumb fun though hey!

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

KonvexKonkav posted:

I find nob to be harder for Silent. You absolutely need an attack like compile driver/ball lightning/cold snap though.

Totes agree for this, because I want to be skill heavy with silent.

There's no problem for defect in Act 1 that can't be solved with more ball lightening. That and cold snap are probably the best common attacks in the game?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

pretty much. i reckon ball lightning could lose a couple points of damage and still be good

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Blasphemy from Neow + Ragnarok from Gremlin Nob + Ragnarok from Attack Pot = You Are Nothing achievement on Hexaghost. :toot:

And now I've ruined three attempted Who Needs Relics runs in a row by clicking on a relic accidentally. :doh:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 25, 2020

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Reminds me of the run where I used my two Omnisciences to play double Worship+Ragnarok on turn 1. I think I had a Bag of Marbles, too.

Did someone here play Monster Train? I saw it being recommended by jorbs and I wonder if it's good.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
it's good, a lot more swingy than sts. the default difficulty is way lower but it ramps up as you ascend pretty nicely

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KonvexKonkav posted:

Reminds me of the run where I used my two Omnisciences to play double Worship+Ragnarok on turn 1. I think I had a Bag of Marbles, too.

Did someone here play Monster Train? I saw it being recommended by jorbs and I wonder if it's good.

It's a lot of fun. It's not quite as good as STS but it's super close. I was kind of tempted to make a thread for it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ImpAtom posted:

It's a lot of fun. It's not quite as good as STS but it's super close. I was kind of tempted to make a thread for it.

Someone did make a thread for it right here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3924690

Personally I've found it really fun. There's a really good variety of playstyles across the five different tribes.

I also love that they have some more randomness at the beginning. The fact your starter deck is going to be 12 cards you know then 2x commons from both your tribes and a 1x uncommon from your main tribe means you have a lot of variety in the early game. It means its more swingy than Spire, but its definitely interesting and forces you to interact with cards you might never pick.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I like it a lot.

Once you get into the 'covenants' (basically ascensions) you have to embrace absurdly broken builds to do well. Up to covenant 4 so far.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chairchucker posted:

I like it a lot.

Once you get into the 'covenants' (basically ascensions) you have to embrace absurdly broken builds to do well. Up to covenant 4 so far.

The whole game is "get a broken build or die". On the other hand, broken builds aren't too hard to make. The game has greatly improved since the open beta though.

On the other hand, I don't see it having much longevity. Everyone on Twitch is playing it now, but a month or two ago everyone was playing Iratus and last night the Iratus directory had 13 viewers. If you want a reasoning for that: Celerity is streaming as I write, and he's reached C13 without loss. Now he's a very good player of games, but can you imagine coming fresh into STS and immediately jumping to A10 without losing? I can't.

E: He lost on C13. But I figured he would from floor 1, he didn't get a strong start.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 26, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Does the Steam version of STS have Cloud Saves? Meaning that I can seamlessly switch between two devices and keep my progress and even better jump in and out of my current run?

I currently have STS on the Xbox Game Pass for PC from a promotional three months that I have and from what I can see it's a real PITA in how it manages the save games. So much that I'm considering actually purchasing the Steam version for quality of life benefits. Barring that, has anyone come up with a clever way of managing their save games across multiple devices? Perhaps re-routing the save game directory to something cloud based like Google Drive?

Effectively I want to be able to bounce between my Desktop (while working from home, it's nice to do during conference calls) and my Laptop to enjoy the nice weather outside!

Appreciate any insight on this.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Does the Steam version of STS have Cloud Saves? Meaning that I can seamlessly switch between two devices and keep my progress and even better jump in and out of my current run?

It does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I too have been enjoying Monster Train, and finding that it scratches a similar itch to StS. It's still a bit rough around the edges in a few spots, but it's a lot of fun regardless and it looks like they intend to continue working on improving it.

I'm pretty confused by the poster a few pages back who compared it to Rogue Legacy though. Like... what?