Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I could be wrong, but I always assumed that liquid primer was more in the vein of a liquid putty that you brushed on for things like filling gaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I could be wrong, but I always assumed that liquid primer was more in the vein of a liquid putty that you brushed on for things like filling gaps.

Yeah, thats one recommended use for it. Tamiya also recommends thinning it down and airbrushing it though.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I tried airbrushing Tamiya primer and had an absolutely terrible time of it. It definitely needs to be thinned and thinned a lot.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Still undecided on how I should proceed with the underside of the wings:

Not sure if I should go with the lower example, or the upper. Reference pics show the wing structure as being pretty clearly defined, so I'm leaning towards the lower. The lower technique would still need some weathering or modulation with oils to make it look less uniform. Eduard also made the rib tapes and stitching really overscale, so I think the thickness of that is also messing with me.

Edit:

Added a reference pic:

Symetrique fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 26, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Personally I like the top example, but either would work.

Keep in mind the visibility of the wing ribs would depend on several factors. They really stand out in your example pic because they sun is directly above and shining through the canvas on the wings. I bet if you were to look from above, you'd only be able to see the physical bulge of the ribs, and wouldn't see any shadow detail at all.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Personally I like the top example, but either would work.

Keep in mind the visibility of the wing ribs would depend on several factors. They really stand out in your example pic because they sun is directly above and shining through the canvas on the wings. I bet if you were to look from above, you'd only be able to see the physical bulge of the ribs, and wouldn't see any shadow detail at all.

Thanks for the input. Yeah this is just for the underside of the wings. I was able to find a video of the replica in flight from a wing mounted camera, so it showed how much the light positioning affected the appearance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVzg0zM58is

I think it might be best if I mask off the top example's interior structures and go over them again in a thin dark brown or Tamiya Smoke layer to make the edges a bit more pronounced.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I use Mister Surfacer 500 unthinned for filling gaps, and Vallejo Surface Primer, without thinning, to Prime through an airbrush. I sometimes add some Flow Improver if I'm going to do a large surface/batch.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Anyone know a good way to get rid of fingerprints on clear parts? like window glass in car models? It's sort of impossible to not handle them when you are setting them in place and gluing them in and I always end up getting fingerprints on them that I can't remove with anything I've tried so far.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
As in you got fingerprints on hard-to-clean places once it's all glued in, or you stuck your finger in cement and touched a clear part?

For the former, you could try cutting down a cotton swab and maybe do some strategic bending.

For the latter, really fine sandpaper followed by polishing compound on a soft cloth is about the only way to buff that out. Use less cement if you're getting spillage, or plain old clear-drying glue instead of cement.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Get one of those fiberglass pens! They are amazing for getting rid of excess glue marks and polishing/sanding stuff like fingerprints and PE parts.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
put tamiya masking tape on your finger tips when handling clear parts to avoid this in the future

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'm about to start a Tamiya Ducati 996 bike kit. It's my first time doing a 1:12 scale model, or a bike, so I'm a little nervous. Is there something obvious I should know, or things to avoid, and just general tips? I usually do 1:72 planes and 28mm miniatures.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I just discovered there are OPINIONS about the USS Arizona and what paint it had at Pearl

Is this something you modellers know about or did I just find a strange corner of the internet?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

simplefish posted:

I just discovered there are OPINIONS about the USS Arizona and what paint it had at Pearl

Is this something you modellers know about or did I just find a strange corner of the internet?

Large swaths of the online model building community are only about building models in the same way that audiophile communities are about music: it's mostly an opportunity to engage in alt-macho dick measuring over who's the most hardcore.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

simplefish posted:

People argue about the final paint scheme on Bismarck too. Lack of colour photos, or lack of any photos at all, make this largely unknowable for many famous ships modellers like to build.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure Bismarck's final color scheme was a dark blue shade.

Anyone who wants to argue with you about specific shades of historical paint prior to, I dunno, Pantone swatches is probably not worth taking seriously.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

grassy gnoll posted:

Anyone who wants to argue with you about specific shades of historical paint prior to, I dunno, Pantone swatches is probably not worth taking seriously.

Bismarck's dispute is what colour were the top of her main battery and secondary turrets painted, yellow, red, or grey?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I respect that some people want to adhere to precise historical accuracy on their model builds. I also respect that some people don't give a gently caress and just want to paint it how they like.

grassy gnoll posted:

Ok but you can't just casually whip out a Pantone book and compare the swatch. You better make your comparisons in a light booth with multiple light temperatures and check your remission curves with a spectro. :smuggo:

I threw together an old-school Tamiya Panther, has 1969 stamped on the bottom. Crazy that I just put together a kit that was manufactured two decades before I was born. Still have to add the tracks/varnish/weather (the spare track links really really really do not want to mount to the hull).

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 27, 2020

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Future model makers will have it so easy, there's high def color photos of everything and ships/planes are all the same grey color

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Phi230 posted:

Future model makers will have it so easy, there's high def color photos of everything and ships/planes are all the same grey color

Yeah but most photos these days are taken with cell phones then if they're edited at all it's on an uncalibrated monitor. Our version of a color plate of a faded photo run through an all in one scanner is going to be the Android auto touch up feature and Samsung's over saturated color model.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yeah but most photos these days are taken with cell phones then if they're edited at all it's on an uncalibrated monitor. Our version of a color plate of a faded photo run through an all in one scanner is going to be the Android auto touch up feature and Samsung's over saturated color model.

Oh god grogs of the future yelling at eachother about shades of grey taken on iphones vs. samsungs

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I just click Adjustments -> Auto Level :shrug:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Phi230 posted:

otoh digital camo patterns

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

The arguments over weathering will always be present though

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ensign Expendable posted:

I just click Adjustments -> Auto Level :shrug:

Exactly. Each implementation is slightly different, built around different sets of assumptions about what people photograph. They do things like take the whitest thing in a scene and assume it's actually white. Some use neural networks for extra fun.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Vorenus posted:

I respect that some people want to adhere to precise historical accuracy on their model builds. I also respect that some people don't give a gently caress and just want to paint it how they like.

Ok but you can't just casually whip out a Pantone book and compare the swatch. You better make your comparisons in a light booth with multiple light temperatures and check your remission curves with a spectro. :smuggo:

I threw together an old-school Tamiya Panther, has 1969 stamped on the bottom. Crazy that I just put together a kit that was manufactured two decades before I was born. Still have to add the tracks/varnish/weather (the spare track links really really really do not want to mount to the hull).

Sure, but when paint standards for RAF brown, say, consisted of yelling at Harry to go see what brown we had left in the shed, haggling over specific hues in the absence of widespread color photography or period-intact paint chips seems overly optimistic. For stuff where we've got systematized color mixing instructions, you can at least make an argument.

I've never built their old Panther, but I admit I'm curious. Tamiya's Pz II and their old Zero are still pretty good kits, for being almost half a century old.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah notice how all the argumentation surrounds like German or Japanese models - you don't see people screaming about paint when there's something like the Federal Standard system

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Phi230 posted:

Yeah notice how all the argumentation surrounds like German or Japanese models - you don't see people screaming about paint when there's something like the Federal Standard system

Oh yeah you do. The slapfights over early war USAAF primers or interior colors are rare, but they do happen.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Furism posted:

I'm about to start a Tamiya Ducati 996 bike kit. It's my first time doing a 1:12 scale model, or a bike, so I'm a little nervous. Is there something obvious I should know, or things to avoid, and just general tips? I usually do 1:72 planes and 28mm miniatures.

Be prepared to really enjoy how well the kit goes together. I've done 6 of the bike kits and I have zero complaints about any of them.

If you're used to assembling a lot first and then painting like with armor and planes, be aware that automotive stuff is usually much more of a paint as you go process. That's about all I have for pointers.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

I've never built their old Panther, but I admit I'm curious. Tamiya's Pz II and their old Zero are still pretty good kits, for being almost half a century old.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about it. Other than 50 year old rubber tracks being stubborn there weren't any huge issues.

grassy gnoll posted:

Sure, but when paint standards for RAF brown, say, consisted of yelling at Harry to go see what brown we had left in the shed, haggling over specific hues in the absence of widespread color photography or period-intact paint chips seems overly optimistic. For stuff where we've got systematized color mixing instructions, you can at least make an argument.

I get that, and I understand people wanting precise accuracy. I wouldn't expect anyone to accept lime green as NATO green or anything, but having spent several years dealing with people nitpicking color for the sake of nitpicking I say live and let live.

[quote="Vorenus" post="505166016"]

Would appreciate any suggestions on improving my technique. I like how it's turned out so far but I'm curious to know how it looks to a more experienced eye.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Vorenus posted:

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about it. Other than 50 year old rubber tracks being stubborn there weren't any huge issues.

Would appreciate any suggestions on improving my technique. I like how it's turned out so far but I'm curious to know how it looks to a more experienced eye.

Thin your paint a bit more and make sure the needle doesnt have any paint stuck to it. Looks like you had a few spots where the paint splurted out. Thinning your paint and spraying at an appropriate PSI will also help reduce overspray and improve paint atomization.

This video might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH5OHYfSq5A

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Be prepared to really enjoy how well the kit goes together. I've done 6 of the bike kits and I have zero complaints about any of them.

If you're used to assembling a lot first and then painting like with armor and planes, be aware that automotive stuff is usually much more of a paint as you go process. That's about all I have for pointers.

Thanks! I tend to err on the side of "more sub-assemblies is better" usually so I might already be on the right track then :)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Vorenus posted:

Right now, it looks a little flat. Shade variation and some details will get you fairly far.

I'd suggest a highlight pass on your dunkelgelb and then some pin washes along the details of your model. If you're feeling brave, you can highlight areas on the camo striping, but the big yellow surfaces are what people are going to look at first, so as long as there's some lighting variation on them, you're probably good to go. Chipping is easy and quick if you sponge it on. Brushing on some detailed chips, weathering, or lettering is also good, if you've got steady hands and a lot of patience.

Pretty much anything you can do to add subtle variation on big flat surfaces like a tank is going to make your model look nicer.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Furism posted:

Tamiya’s 1:12 bike kits are extremely well designed in my experience. A nice feature is that they usually use screws for a lot of the assembly as opposed to glue.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

Sure, but when paint standards for RAF brown, say, consisted of yelling at Harry to go see what brown we had left in the shed

That's Captain Wales to us, and typically the Firm only uses whitewash anyway

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

simplefish posted:

IIRC the whole Arizona paint kerfuffle comes from one of those classic "misinterpreting historical documents as absolute facts" moments. There was a fleet order from Admiral Kimmel to repaint the ships into the updated Camouflage Measure 11 using 5-S Sea Blue (or 5-N Navy Blue as a substitute) shortly before the attack on Pearl Harbor, but whether and how much it was carried out is still open to debate.

Some eyewitnesses describe the Battleships returning from maneuvers days before with the old dark grey Measure 1 camo.

There is fairly convincing evidence that USS Nevada at least was still wearing the old dark grey w/ white control tops scheme, which indicates that the order hadn't necessarily been made a priority. Compare how the salvaged Nevada looks in this short color clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5cqIT6_Cbs&t=883s
With how the USS California (definitely in Measure 21 using 5-N Navy Blue) looks immediately after refloating but before her major reconstruction in October 1942:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSMCGCBkgiI

Since there are scarcely any color photographs of the Pearl Harbor attack that were not colorized after the fact, It's difficult to say what's true. It is a perfectly plausible scenario that some ships started repainting before the attack or may have even been in the middle of repainting when the attack began. It seems highly unlikely that Nevada and California were in the new scheme at all, but there are photos that look like some of the others may have started.

I don't think this debate is ever going to be resolved reasonably because the evidence is just too scarce.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I thought this was really neat.

https://imgur.com/gallery/VAiP1G0

This guy is scratch building an IBM 1401 computer.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Darth Brooks posted:

I thought this was really neat.

https://imgur.com/gallery/VAiP1G0

This guy is scratch building an IBM 1401 computer.

This is extremely my poo poo. The detailing on that chair is just :discourse:
Reminds me of Thomas Demand's art

Fukushima control room, life size model

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'd kill for a larger scale Project 7 Soviet destroyer. I was hoping to find a 3D-printable one, and I even saw there was some capability of grabbing the models out of World of Warships in the past, but I can't find any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
How do you deal with Tamiya decals? I’ve tried picking them, cutting them out with an exacto or pruning, and nothing works. Is there some secret magic to them?