Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
your operating system with chinese characteristics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
let one thousand posts suck

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

999 more to go

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

haha

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol!!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

rotor posted:

PokeJoe posted:

999 more to go

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

99 posts of disease on the 'pos

99 posts of disease

take one down, pass it around

good job, now there's even more disease in the 'pos

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
2 weeks until daycares come back online around these parts :pray:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Uptime Sinclair posted:

2 weeks until daycares come back online around these parts :pray:

we’re kind of stuck in a funny spot. they’ve opened up here to take care of kids of essential workers (my wife qualifies) but ours has yet to open up.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

we’re kind of stuck in a funny spot. they’ve opened up here to take care of kids of essential workers (my wife qualifies) but ours has yet to open up.

they have those here for healthcare workers, but only for kids 6 and over lol

haven't heard a thing from our daycare so we've started looking for new ones, gotta go visit next week at a couple (lol they're still requiring in-person visits for new kids)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

our daycare isn't open yet and they haven't decided when they will afaik

some are open for kids of essential workers but I (and the parents of most of little jones's class) touch computers so basically the boy is gonna be staying home for a long time it seems

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Daycare strikes me as the greatest place to spread covid, especially given how asymptomatic kids can be with it.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah I basically don't want him going back until poo poo is _over_. unfortunately I'm not convinced that there will ever be an actual "over" this time so idk wtf. at least he has another year of preschool before starting kindergarten so there's some time to let things shake out before it starts to really matter

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
public communal schooling is over

betsy devos has a pulsating 11" boner over the thought of creating a system where the only kids to get a professional education have parents that can pay $45k a year
other nations will soon follow

learn 2 homeschool not even joking

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
the "joke" is that lead paint caused the predicament we're in now but I think that if things don't turn around in the next couple years and anything is left of America in a couple generations what passes for "smart" in the wastes will make your average 2020 qanon chud look like a loving brain surgeon

imagine what happens after two generations of magas homeschooling their children and their grandchildren, holy poo poo

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Jonny 290 posted:

public communal schooling is over

betsy devos has a pulsating 11" boner over the thought of creating a system where the only kids to get a professional education have parents that can pay $45k a year
other nations will soon follow

learn 2 homeschool not even joking

misread this as "Besty Ross" and wondered when we'll all be learning how to weave from our parents so we can make american flags in our homes

realized I wasn't entirely wrong

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don’t have to I already grew up around people doing that

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

I don’t have to I already grew up around people doing that

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

misread this as "Besty Ross" and wondered when we'll all be learning how to weave from our parents so we can make american flags in our homes

realized I wasn't entirely wrong

the handmaids will figure out how to do a right proper lookin stars and bars before they turn nine and get married off shortly thereafter

oh lawd but we got country pride / simply because we were able to escape starvation in the richest nation in the history of the world

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
One case that sticks out in my head was that in one family that meant the girls basically didn’t get an education beyond learning housework before being married off to their fathers like 38 year old friend

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

One case that sticks out in my head was that in one family that meant the girls basically didn’t get an education beyond learning housework before being married off to their fathers like 38 year old friend
the duggar family (hey remember them) was the same way - as soon as they were able to, the girls were put to work taking care of the younger girls. from age six through eighteen, you were a full time baby sitter/care giver/chore doer

homeschooled ofc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
even here in nz where we’ve had one new case in a couple weeks or something and we’re close to being back to normal my mum complains about how the lockdown has tanked the economy.. like what would have happened if we didn’t lock down? it’d be tanked but also more death?
or complaining about how we’ve given so many people money that are now out of a job but how are we gonna pay it back but like, who cares it’s better solution to being homeless?

how to be envious of America but also pity America at the same time

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
going to the barber tomorrow for the first time in three months, i can't wait.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

echinopsis posted:

even here in nz where we’ve had one new case in a couple weeks or something and we’re close to being back to normal my mum complains about how the lockdown has tanked the economy.. like what would have happened if we didn’t lock down? it’d be tanked but also more death?
or complaining about how we’ve given so many people money that are now out of a job but how are we gonna pay it back but like, who cares it’s better solution to being homeless?

how to be envious of America but also pity America at the same time

An unreasonably high amount of people would accept 3% or more of the world dying to save their personal finances, and this transcends class. Like I want to say it's more common in rich people but I have no evidence to back it up at all

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

abigserve posted:

An unreasonably high amount of people would accept 3% or more of the world dying to save their personal finances, and this transcends class. Like I want to say it's more common in rich people but I have no evidence to back it up at all

i don't think it really is more common in rich people no, as there are a lot more poor people, and for many any reduction in income works out much worse than even a 3% chance of them themselves dying.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

going to the barber tomorrow for the first time in three months, i can't wait.
Enjoy your coronavirus, OP.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

apparently kids are not just asymptomatic but also pretty ineffective at transmitting the disease. we’ve opened schools more than 2 weeks ago here (only elementary and younger) and have seen pretty much no repercussion on infection rates at this point.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, was hard to know at the start, but seems at least school closures likely were a mistake. it does reduce spread a little bit, but that is offset by trapping a bunch of what may be essential (whether labeled as such or not) personnel at home.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
except for that thing where covid might trigger a systemic inflammation in kids that looks a lot like kawasaki disease

but no, let's just throw them all back in the ball pit what could go wrong?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Blinkz0rz posted:

except for that thing where covid might trigger a systemic inflammation in kids that looks a lot like kawasaki disease

roughly 20 kids per year die in traffic incidents on school buses or walking to school in the us. at a certain point it is a matter of statistics.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Blinkz0rz posted:

not to mention potentially turning tens of thousands of children into asymptomatic carriers who can go infect mee maw and pep pep

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
as has been the case pretty much the entire time I’m just not going to judge anything because we won’t really have a chance of knowing for quite a while and will still have to sort through the political manipulation of it

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

roughly 20 kids per year die in traffic incidents on school buses or walking to school in the us. at a certain point it is a matter of statistics.

we know absolutely nothing about the mid to long term effects of covid

you want to bet your kid's life on assuming everything will be fine? me, i'm gonna wait for a little bit i think

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as has been the case pretty much the entire time I’m just not going to judge anything because we won’t really have a chance of knowing for quite a while and will still have to sort through the political manipulation of it

sure sure, i would not flippantly decide to open schools were i in a ruling position either. just commenting that as far as the info we currently have goes schools do not appear to be much of a problem area.

which is great news of true.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Blinkz0rz posted:

we know absolutely nothing about the mid to long term effects of covid

you want to bet your kid's life on assuming everything will be fine? me, i'm gonna wait for a little bit i think

great, do keep your kids safe. do take care making too many decisions about unknowable far-flung future side effects though, as you'll be in antivaxx territory very quickly. we will absolutely not know the long-term effects of a covid vaccine once it rolls around, especially as the only candidates likely to make it in the next few years will be of types never before approved for human use.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

great, do keep your kids safe. do take care making too many decisions about unknowable far-flung future side effects though, as you'll be in antivaxx territory very quickly. we will absolutely not know the long-term effects of a covid vaccine once it rolls around, especially as the only candidates likely to make it in the next few years will be of types never before approved for human use.

we're less than 3 months in to the most severe pandemic in 100 years

but sure, being cautious about whether asymptomatic kids will have issues within the next few months definitely gets into antivaxx territory

gently caress off

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a few months is fine obviously, since the year is over anyway. no populace will stand for a 100% lockdown for 18 months though, and to keep some obviously less necessary stuff locked down (e.g. public gatherings, restaurants, pubs, etc.) you have to try to use the available information to relieve pressure where possible. some rational credibility in the process etc.

i am not a decision-maker and either way promise to not kill your kids though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

you also need to restructure things so all those non necessary workers don’t just like, get totally wiped out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
you don’t need a lockdown for 18 months, you need a very good lockdown for like six weeks and use that time to produce ppe, contact tracing, quarantine procedures, etc. then let people out with social distancing guidelines. you can burn the virus out.

the US ofc has done the worst possible thing which is to half rear end every step of that