Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

TheFluff posted:

that's exactly what I'm not doing you gigantic moron

I'm saying that at this point there's no loving way we can attribute bad or good outcomes to any particular action or lack thereof because we don't loving understand poo poo! I'm not loving saying Spain bad, Sweden good! Sweden is definitely not doing well. But nobody loving knows why! Every loving expert is saying "yeah we have no idea either lol" and yet here you are confidently proclaiming there's cause and effect, bing bong so simple. The data quality is generally garbage, the infection mechanisms are very poorly understood, there's a gazillion influencing factors that nobody knows how to control for and yet people are incredibly fixated on "number go up more here than there". It's nonsense.

Okay, say people agree with you. What's the next step? What is anyone, individuals or governments, supposed to do, if the only guiding principle is "nobody knows why things happen?" Just let the chips fall where they may, write off any consequences as ineffable?

Should anyone be held accountable for anything that happens during this time? Either due to what we understand now, or retroactively if the exact pattern of which responses were functional and which were symbolic is discovered? Putting aside Tegnell, does someone like Donald Trump or Dominic Cummings have blood on their hands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'll try to stop arguing about this now because I'm getting worked up about it. I never called for Tegnell's head, that's a strawman you constructed, but I was curious as to why so many Swedes and our media seem determined to not call attention to what really looks like a massive failure of policy in Sweden.
I assume I sort of have an answer to that now, but it's not an answer I like and I admit that's perhaps a bit childish or emotional. Simply put I find this attitude of questioning the validity of any and all measures taken to limit infection on the basis of "we don't know" to be incredibly dangerous.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

TheFluff posted:

Even if Japan has 50-60% more cases than they're reporting (figures I've seen circulating recently) that still puts them far, far ahead of almost anyone else. Even with the oldest population in the world.

what this reads as to me is "i'm going to ignore any evidence that clashes with my pet hypothesis"

all i'm saying is, when the evidence is all over the loving place and the data quality is garbage and the experts are openly stating that this is very poorly understood, it's a bit too early to be yelling "off with his head"

that is not all you're saying, you're making a profoundly ideological argument which you want to dress up as basic scientific prudence, and that's not a very rigorous way of thinking

comparing like with like is not cherrypicking, it's a very normal way to deal with heterogeneous, noisy data when that's what you have available. pointing out that different binning strategies support different conclusions is valid and in many cases an interesting observation that can lead to fruitful lines of inquiry and no doubt will in the future, but it doesn't counter the rather obvious and frequently used 'nordic countries with broadly similar social models, climate and population structure' binning strategy, which indicates that tegnell's response didn't pan out.

this may turn out not to be the full story in hindsight, but at this point in time it's a reasonable conclusion. there seem to have been perfectly reasonable arguments in favour of the swedish response, and empowering a scientific adviser to deal with it is a plausible low-risk political handling of the situation, but it seems to have gone wrong in this case

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Okay, say people agree with you. What's the next step? What is anyone, individuals or governments, supposed to do, if the only guiding principle is "nobody knows why things happen?" Just let the chips fall where they may, write off any consequences as ineffable?
Holding an official accountable for a bad decision sorta requires proving that they knew (or should have known) at the time that it would be a bad decision. At this point we don't even know if it was the wrong decision, and still a lot of people seem to want to make the case not only that it was, but also that it should have been known to be wrong back in mid-March.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 26, 2020

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Katt posted:

What if like. Various types of Corona have been moving around Asia for centuries and people there have a slight resistance to it?

I mean India has no public healthcare to speak of and people live crowded with poor sanitation. Their numbers should be in the millions easily. Even if they're bad at testing the bodies should have been piled to the rooftops at this point.

Parts of India have done better by following the W.H.O. recommendations to "test, trace, isolate and support". Just because a country "has no public healthcare to speak of" doesn't mean they can't follow the current best practice.

quote:

Aggressive testing, contact tracing, cooked meals: How the Indian state of Kerala flattened its coronavirus curve

NEW DELHI — For hours, the health worker ticked through a list of questions: How is your health? What is your state of mind? Are you running out of any food supplies? By the end of the afternoon, she had reached more than 50 people under coronavirus quarantine. Weeks earlier, that number was 200.

Sheeba T.M. was just one of more than 30,000 health workers in the Indian state of Kerala, part of the communist state government’s robust response to the coronavirus pandemic. Other efforts include aggressive testing, intense contact tracing, instituting a longer quarantine, building thousands of shelters for migrant workers stranded by the sudden nationwide shutdown and distributing millions of cooked meals to those in need.

The measures appear to be paying off. Even though Kerala was the first state in the country to report a coronavirus case in late January, the number of new cases in the first week of April dropped 30 percent from the previous week. With just two deaths, 52 percent of positive patients have recovered in the state, higher than elsewhere in India.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...19a9_story.html

quote:

The coronavirus slayer! How Kerala's rock star health minister helped save it from Covid-19

On 20 January, KK Shailaja phoned one of her medically trained deputies. She had read online about a dangerous new virus spreading in China. “Will it come to us?” she asked. “Definitely, Madam,” he replied. And so the health minister of the Indian state of Kerala began her preparations.

Four months later, Kerala has reported only 524 cases of Covid-19, four deaths and – according to Shailaja – no community transmission. The state has a population of about 35 million and a GDP per capita of only £2,200. By contrast, the UK (double the population, GDP per capita of £33,100) has reported more than 40,000 deaths, while the US (10 times the population, GDP per capita of £51,000) has reported more than 82,000 deaths; both countries have rampant community transmission.

As such, Shailaja Teacher, as the 63-year-old minister is affectionately known, has attracted some new nicknames in recent weeks – Coronavirus Slayer and Rockstar Health Minister among them. The names sit oddly with the merry, bespectacled former secondary school science teacher, but they reflect the widespread admiration she has drawn for demonstrating that effective disease containment is possible not only in a democracy, but in a poor one.

How has this been achieved? Three days after reading about the new virus in China, and before Kerala had its first case of Covid-19, Shailaja held the first meeting of her rapid response team. The next day, 24 January, the team set up a control room and instructed the medical officers in Kerala’s 14 districts to do the same at their level. By the time the first case arrived, on 27 January, via a plane from Wuhan, the state had already adopted the World Health Organization’s protocol of test, trace, isolate and support.

As the passengers filed off the Chinese flight, they had their temperatures checked. Three who were found to be running a fever were isolated in a nearby hospital. The remaining passengers were placed in home quarantine – sent there with information pamphlets about Covid-19 that had already been printed in the local language, Malayalam. The hospitalised patients tested positive for Covid-19, but the disease had been contained. “The first part was a victory,” says Shailaja. “But the virus continued to spread beyond China and soon it was everywhere.”

In late February, encountering one of Shailaja’s surveillance teams at the airport, a Malayali family returning from Venice was evasive about its travel history and went home without submitting to the now-standard controls. By the time medical personnel detected a case of Covid-19 and traced it back to them, their contacts were in the hundreds. Contact tracers tracked them all down, with the help of advertisements and social media, and they were placed in quarantine. Six developed Covid-19.

(...)

Places of worship were closed under the rules of lockdown, resulting in protests in some Indian states, but resistance has been noticeably absent in Kerala – in part, perhaps, because its chief minister, Pinarayi Vijayan, consulted with local faith leaders about the closures. Shailaja says Kerala’s high literacy level is another factor: “People understand why they must stay at home. You can explain it to them.”

(...)

Once the second wave has passed – if, indeed, there is a second wave – these teachers will return to schools. She hopes to do the same, eventually, because her ministerial term will finish with the state elections a year from now. Since she does not think the threat of Covid-19 will subside any time soon, what secret would she like to pass on to her successor? She laughs her infectious laugh, because the secret is no secret: “Proper planning.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/14/the-coronavirus-slayer-how-keralas-rock-star-health-minister-helped-save-it-from-covid-19

Kerala is governed by the Left Democratic Front (Kerala), a coalition of left-wing parties and various smaller parties where the Communist Party of India (Marxist) and the Communist Party of India is the largest and second largest members of the coalition respectively.

Jon Pod Van Damm fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 26, 2020

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

TheFluff posted:

fine, reword the first sentence to "there is no conclusive evidence that shows lockdown strategies to be effective". masks seem to help a bit i guess?

Yes, because there is a gargantuan difference in those two arguments. Guess I got lucky for managing to call you out on this without being called a gigantic moron.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it's worth pointing out that norwegian technocrats also seem to have favoured a similar strategy to the swedish one, but the norwegian government's hand was forced by the municipalities due to a quirk of our emergency laws and so we ended up having to have politicians treat it as a political matter, which seems to have worked out pretty well for now

at its heart this is a discussion about the limits of the political and the merits of neoliberal technical governance - by all technocratic reason, some pissant nobodies in local authorities should be making enormously much worse decisions than the state epidemiologist with all the resources and models available to him. if this is not the case, the contemporary dismissal of lay knowledge and democratic governance loses a lot of authority

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

military cervix posted:

Yes, because there is a gargantuan difference in those two arguments. Guess I got lucky for managing to call you out on this without being called a gigantic moron.

i said something and then i said something different, you could say i changed my mind or refined the argument in response to counterarguments people brought up i guess?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

V. Illych L. posted:

it's worth pointing out that norwegian technocrats also seem to have favoured a similar strategy to the swedish one, but the norwegian government's hand was forced by the municipalities due to a quirk of our emergency laws and so we ended up having to have politicians treat it as a political matter, which seems to have worked out pretty well for now

at its heart this is a discussion about the limits of the political and the merits of neoliberal technical governance - by all technocratic reason, some pissant nobodies in local authorities should be making enormously much worse decisions than the state epidemiologist with all the resources and models available to him. if this is not the case, the contemporary dismissal of lay knowledge and democratic governance loses a lot of authority

on one hand i don't want to argue against this because i basically agree with you that technocracy is neoliberal garbage, but on the other hand i'd say this is a really poor argument towards that end

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
What policy is most effective rather depends on what outcomes you're aiming for as well. It could be that Norwegian local authorities have different goals in responding to coronavirus than the national government.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
In regards to East Asian countries, I feel like it's worth remembering that they actually dealt with a similar virus less than a decade ago. They have actual institutional knowledge for dealing with something like this, which might be doing a lot of work irrespective of what politicians decide to do unless the politicians straight up try to undermine their containment efforts. There's also the possibility that the populace just decides to do poo poo on their own, despite the official stance. Look at the US, where the official stance is to go back to work, while 70% of the populace thinks that's a terrible idea. Incidentally, the same logic might apply to Sweden, with every neighboring country going into lockdown amplifying the necessity of treating this seriously despite their own government deciding on a voluntary strategy.

TheFluff posted:

What part of "the transmission is very poorly understood" is hard to grasp? Do you just call anything that science does not currently have a well established explanation for "magic"? There are countries with strong lockdowns and many deaths and there are countries with weak or no lockdowns and very few deaths. The conclusion I draw from that is there must be other factors that we don't understand yet that play a bigger role, not that the virus is literally magic.
Have you considered the possibility that lockdowns do not propagate backwards through time? A lockdown instituted because things have spiralled out of control is not at all the same as one instituted to prevent them from spiralling out of control.

TheFluff posted:

i'm saying is, when the evidence is all over the loving place and the data quality is garbage and the experts are openly stating that this is very poorly understood, it's a bit too early to be yelling "off with his head"
Which experts are these? What parts are poorly understood? Just because some aspects of a virus are poorly understood does not mean all of them are, and there is such a thing as erring on the side of caution for things that are potentially a grave threat to society.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

TheFluff posted:

on one hand i don't want to argue against this because i basically agree with you that technocracy is neoliberal garbage, but on the other hand i'd say this is a really poor argument towards that end

ok

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

TheFluff posted:

i said something and then i said something different, you could say i changed my mind or refined the argument in response to counterarguments people brought up i guess?

ok

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

big scary monsters posted:

What policy is most effective rather depends on what outcomes you're aiming for as well. It could be that Norwegian local authorities have different goals in responding to coronavirus than the national government.

right, i believe that this is true to an extent and that it's much less risky for the municipalities to do a politically fronted strategy since such successes or failures are mostly associated with the central government anyway. the point is that our system has this technocratically unjustifiable slack in it which allowed municipalities to force the government's hand in what seems to have been the right direction

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

One could also argue that Sweden’s high mortality rates is more of a Stockholm issue than a Sweden issue.
Especially if one does the comparison between Stockholm and Skåne, where Skåne so-far is far from Stockholm’s mortality rates.

How is it in Stockholm, is the elder care in anyway centralised or is it full of private enterprises?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

Well since we in Sweden have exceptionally strong municipal and regional autonomy (enshrined in the regeringsformen no less) who have handled this loving abysmally, I think you have your answer.

Cardiac posted:

How is it in Stockholm, is the elder care in anyway centralised or is it full of private enterprises?

The latter. Overwhelmingly the latter.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
I'll just leave this here.

https://www.di.se/debatt/redovisning-av-dodlighet-for-befolkningen-bakom-ljuset

TL;DR, YOU MORON!
The excess deaths is not remarkable in a historical context, unless you use absolute numbers rather than per capita.

E: I understand it to mean that most of our deaths would have been anyway, they just died of covid rather than influenza/vinterkräksjukan/other

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Potrzebie posted:

I'll just leave this here.

https://www.di.se/debatt/redovisning-av-dodlighet-for-befolkningen-bakom-ljuset

TL;DR, YOU MORON!
The excess deaths is not remarkable in a historical context, unless you use absolute numbers rather than per capita.

E: I understand it to mean that most of our deaths would have been anyway, they just died of covid rather than influenza/vinterkräksjukan/other

this is not corroborated by any other sources i have seen, who all place sweden's excess deaths at a consistently significant in april, e.g. https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.10.20096909v1

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

excess mortality is, by definition, more deaths than expected based on an empirical model built on the last several years. sweden has had population growth recently, but not *that* quick

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
E: wait, your source is using the same data and does not contradict the article i posted?.

Like, looking at 2020 compared to average deaths 2015-now, we had like 1500 less deaths than expected in mud March. In mid May the numbers were 2500 more. It's really not that remarkable, outside of failson Stockholm.

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 26, 2020

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i might have misread the newspaper article, but if excess mortality is significant it is by definition remarkable since the baseline is the historical context. the narrow point about april not being literally the worst month since 1993 is true, but not relevant to the point i thought you were trying to make

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

V. Illych L. posted:

i might have misread the newspaper article, but if excess mortality is significant it is by definition remarkable since the baseline is the historical context. the narrow point about april not being literally the worst month since 1993 is true, but not relevant to the point i thought you were trying to make

Here is a wordsmith making the point: https://emanuelkarlsten.se/05/antalet-doda-2020-hittills-ett-tiotal-over-snittet-per-dag/

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

As a statistician friend who works with this said, excess mortality is not trivially easy to define.

And since I know you guys like to blame everything on capitalism, I will admit you have a point in this case. There is a corona vaccine for cows cause there is a monetary value in this.
Since earlier corona virus outbreaks (SARS, MERS, camel corona virus in Saudi Arabia ) have been rather easily contained, there have been no financial inclination for a human vaccine until now.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Cardiac posted:

One could also argue that Sweden’s high mortality rates is more of a Stockholm issue than a Sweden issue.
Especially if one does the comparison between Stockholm and Skåne, where Skåne so-far is far from Stockholm’s mortality rates.

I think this is an important thing to keep in mind.

Witht that said, Stockholm clearly has more resources and space to take care of sick people; a spread at the same proportion in, let's say, Västerbotten, would be absolutely horrific. Luckily, the geography of the rural areas of Sweden probably does wonders to anti-spread measures.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Not content to let Støjberg toil in the commission on her clearly intentional violation of the ECHR and accountability act, the Minister of Integration now wants to ban non-binding wedding ceremonies for minors, which is supposedly a hugely widespread problem in the Muslim community, even though nobody has a clue if it happens and to what extent. Støjberg's defense is the mantra "Child brides!", that's why she had to lie to parliament and openly disregard the ECHR and the Ministry of Justice's evaluation on the legality of her directive, so the party whose sitting Foreign Minister hosed a kid has to appear proactive on the issue and blame the Muslims. Meanwhile, scores of Danes have been legally married with royal letters of consent in the past 20 years, and Støjberg's own party let former MP and convicted pedophile Flemming Oppfeldt run for city council just a few years ago.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

SplitSoul posted:

Not content to let Støjberg toil in the commission on her clearly intentional violation of the ECHR and accountability act, the Minister of Integration now wants to ban non-binding wedding ceremonies for minors, which is supposedly a hugely widespread problem in the Muslim community, even though nobody has a clue if it happens and to what extent. Støjberg's defense is the mantra "Child brides!", that's why she had to lie to parliament and openly disregard the ECHR and the Ministry of Justice's evaluation on the legality of her directive, so the party whose sitting Foreign Minister hosed a kid has to appear proactive on the issue and blame the Muslims. Meanwhile, scores of Danes have been legally married with royal letters of consent in the past 20 years, and Støjberg's own party let former MP and convicted pedophile Flemming Oppfeldt run for city council just a few years ago.

Denmark is the least corrupt nation in the world, with no double standards, and the rule of law is absolute.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If standards are good, are double standards doubly good?

E:FB; :(

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

A bit late to yet-another-round-of-lockdown-boxing, but here goes:

The effect of k-value on the epidemiological dynamics explains why an early lockdown is extremely effective. Abbreviated from kappa, k-value describes how evenly the reproduction rate (R0/Rn) is distributed among infected individuals. k = 1 means that everyone infects exactly the same number of other people. k approaching 0 means that a single individual is responsible for all infection. In other words, how much of the infection is from superspreaders.

A low k-value increases the threshold of infected individuals needed to have a stable epi-curve (sigmoid growth). Below that, the odds of superspreaders "chaining" into other superspreaders is too low. The epidemic can still stick around, spreading according to a growth function is not exponential.

SARS-CoV-2 has an exceptionally low k-value. This explains why there are cases all over the world dating back to last year, without any hint of an epidemic in those regions. It also explains why lockdowns are so effective:

1) International air travel stops, which greatly reduces the risk of suddenly having enough individuals to trigger an epidemic.
2) Local travel slows down greatly, which means that the population groups within the threshold needs to be exceeded become smaller. In Denmark we saw travel across municipalities almost complete cease.
3) The lockdown reduces the general reproduction rate and the correlation between k-value and r-value is a non-linear one, so there's a compounding effect of reducing r-value for a virus with a very low k-value when it comes to raising the threshold for epidemic growth.
4) The lockdown GREATLY reduces superspreading potential if it includes a ban on large crowds.

All these mean that lockdowns are significantly better at curbing epidemic growth for SARS-CoV-2 than Influenza, which has a high k-value (and a lower r-value). When the k-value is high, immunity is highly effective at halting epidemic growth long before actual herd immunity occurs. When k-value is high, lockdowns work poorly - as super-spreaders are rare, and only absurdly harsh lockdown can reduce social contact numbers to actually stop infection chains.

The graphic shown with the exponential tree is a poor illustration of Covid-19 dynamics. Instead most of the branches are "natural" dead-ends, while a few branch out to a massive amount of other individuals. It's pretty obvious that such a pattern is more vulnerable to the random fluctuations of a low population of infected. A few generations of no superspreaders and the epidemic goes away.

A lockdown just needs to knock down the infection levels below the thresholds of the various communities. For areas of spare population density, this happens naturally through behavior most of the time - but for the urban centres? Lockdown of some sort is needed. As is the need to remove large gatherings (sports and festivals can create conditions to kickstart an epidemic in a sparse area).

We've seen that a lockdown can squash an epidemic (with the duration needed based on how early it is enacted). The problem is that once we reinstate international travel the conditions that led to all this in the first place are back. This means we must avoid situations such as a large host of tourists returning with infection, but not placed in quarantine.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Et dyt i bamsegraven.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Harsh but fair

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Threadkiller Dog posted:

part time staff that couldnt afford to stay home sick. No one expected that apparently....
LMAO

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Part-time workers actually still predominantly can't stay home sick. Two months into this nothing has been done but a paltry 490SEK-net benefit on the first day of sickness.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
If you're an hourly/on call with a zero hour contract being sick means a grand total of 0 sek for the duration. Would you even get that compensation for the first day now?

Anyway as a part timer your finances are precarious enough to start with, so even if you did get 80% pay for your 23,52% contract for 2 weeks that could nuke your budget from orbit. Better feel reeeal sick.

I remember working part time in the stockholm metro when studying and I was a shithead and worked right through every single flu and cold because karens meant no pay. Literally feverish passed out on the floor one night for the cash. And I probably had more stable finances then than some of the poor schmucks working in elderly care now.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 28, 2020

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Doesn't Sweden have labor unions? I'm not being entirely sarcastic. Considering that Denmark is the one being called out as a bourgeoisie shithole on a regular basis, it surprises me that Danish labor laws are ahead and that compensation packages for the roni apparently have better conditions for part-time/hourly-paid workers than in Sweden.

I remember being an 18-year old factory worker with my first real job and getting sick. I got a slip from the factory owner (who was also the head manager) with numbers and was told I could hand it in at the municipal office and get paid for the sickdays. After working a few months and having had some sickdays, the manager one day sauntered up and asked why I hadn't cashed in on my sick pay. I told him that I wouldn't take money out of public coffers that I didn't need, since I lived with my parents, and I'd rather the money be spent on someone more needy. To each according to his need and so forth. He was incredulous, "you're turning down money?", and shuffled away. From that day I think he thought I was insane.

But since I was paid by the hour and based on the physical output, I think even back then we had pretty good protection of sick workers. I know the conditions are worse for long-term sickness now, but it's strange to me that Sweden has karens-dage and such, when that's something we ditched decades ago in Denmark. Which brings me back to the first question: What are your labor unions doing, if workers are still not protected properly against sickness?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Threadkiller Dog posted:

If you're an hourly/on call with a zero hour contract being sick means a grand total of 0 sek for the duration. Would you even get that compensation for the first day now?

If you were booked you have an employment for those specific hours. You get called in sick, you get the karensavdrag (100% wage deduction for first sick day) which you can then apply for karensersättning (490 SEK Net compensation) from Försäkringskassan based on. Fun fact, if you have multiple employeers, or you have days inbetween when you've been booked, you're still only allowed to apply for one karensersättning for every 5 days, no matter how many deductions you've gotten. It's such a lovely lovely quick fix.

As for real sick-pay getting it is still somewhere inbetween difficult and impossible. Unless you're booked for a lot of days in a row and you're real lucky about on which day you get sick, no money for you.

PederP posted:

Doesn't Sweden have labor unions? I'm not being entirely sarcastic. Considering that Denmark is the one being called out as a bourgeoisie shithole on a regular basis, it surprises me that Danish labor laws are ahead and that compensation packages for the roni apparently have better conditions for part-time/hourly-paid workers than in Sweden.

In a magical time period known as the 90's/early 00's a social democratic government — quickly followed by a conservative government — dramatically deregulated our labour contract laws to allow for greater use of non-permanent contracts. Now employments can be as insecure or as short as the employeer wants.

Only whoops, our entire system is built around employees having permanent — or at least semi-permanent — contracts. When you're on allmän visstid for example (only formally employed for the hours of each individual shift) you're virtually a second-class citizen. You might be working 40 hours a week on a predictable schedule, but your rights aren't anywhere near as solid as someone with a permanent contract. You live and die at your immediate bosses goodwill and the law in many cases simply doesn't apply for you.

Just off the top of my head:

1. No labour security outside of what has been contracted
2. Virtually no right to sick pay
3. Shut out of workplace meetings (arbetsplatsträff for example)
4. No vacation bonus pay
5. No right of re-employment in future hirings
6. No right of transfer in case of workplace conflict
7. Virtually no day, week and month hour limitation laws on how much you can be scheduled
8. No compensation for political work
9. Limited access to the housing market

Unions have been a combination of powerless, ineffective and short-sighted in fighting this because over in permanent contract land (an ever shrinking population in our labour market) much is still fine.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 29, 2020

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

PederP posted:

I remember being an 18-year old factory worker with my first real job and getting sick. I got a slip from the factory owner (who was also the head manager) with numbers and was told I could hand it in at the municipal office and get paid for the sickdays. After working a few months and having had some sickdays, the manager one day sauntered up and asked why I hadn't cashed in on my sick pay. I told him that I wouldn't take money out of public coffers that I didn't need, since I lived with my parents, and I'd rather the money be spent on someone more needy. To each according to his need and so forth. He was incredulous, "you're turning down money?", and shuffled away. From that day I think he thought I was insane.

But since I was paid by the hour and based on the physical output, I think even back then we had pretty good protection of sick workers. I know the conditions are worse for long-term sickness now, but it's strange to me that Sweden has karens-dage and such, when that's something we ditched decades ago in Denmark. Which brings me back to the first question: What are your labor unions doing, if workers are still not protected properly against sickness?

Well, they are fighting for the full time employed and not the others, who often (?) are not unionized. Based on my working experience in Denmark, for full time union members the condition are equivalent. I believe Denmark is better in reimbursement of money, while Sweden is better if you are a parent.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

If you were booked you have an employment for those specific hours. You get called in sick, you get the karensavdrag (100% wage deduction for first sick day) which you can then apply for karensersättning (490 SEK Net compensation) from Försäkringskassan based on. Fun fact, if you have multiple employeers, or you have days inbetween when you've been booked, you're still only allowed to apply for one karensersättning for every 5 days, no matter how many deductions you've gotten. It's such a lovely lovely quick fix.

As for real sick-pay getting it is still somewhere inbetween difficult and impossible. Unless you're booked for a lot of days in a row and you're real lucky about on which day you get sick, no money for you.

In a magical time period known as the 90's/early 00's a social democratic government — quickly followed by a conservative government — dramatically deregulated our labour contract laws to allow for greater use of non-permanent contracts. Now employments can be as insecure or as short as the employeer wants.

Only whoops, our entire system is built around employees having permanent — or at least semi-permanent — contracts. When you're on allmän visstid for example (only formally employed for the hours of each individual shift) you're virtually a second-class citizen. You might be working 40 hours a week on a predictable schedule, but your rights aren't anywhere near as solid as someone with a permanent contract. You live and die at your immediate bosses goodwill and the law in many cases simply doesn't apply for you.

Just off the top of my head:

1. No labour security outside of what has been contracted
2. Virtually no right to sick pay
3. Shut out of workplace meetings (arbetsplatsträff for example)
4. No vacation bonus pay
5. No right of re-employment in future hirings
6. No right of transfer in case of workplace conflict
7. Virtually no day, week and month hour limitation laws on how much you can be scheduled
8. No compensation for political work
9. Limited access to the housing market

Unions have been a combination of powerless, ineffective and short-sighted in fighting this because over in permanent contract land (an ever shrinking population in our labour market) much is still fine.

We're seeing something similar with the gig economy in Denmark - Wolt and their ilk in other sectors hiring not via temporary contracts (because those are still regulated under labor laws), but via a business-to-business relationship. The worker will be required to register as a business and sell labor via a b2b contract, which is not regulated in any way. However, this is actually not legal, as any pro forma b2b is to be retroactively converted to an employment contract. A couple of conditions must apply before b2b is legal: no "ledelesesret", which means the employer is not allowed to have a direct superior lead the contractor (only the terms of the b2b contract apply), the contractor must have more business than seeling the labor of 1 person to 1 company and then a bunch of discretionary stuff.

I remember being corrected by other posters in the past, when I claim the labor unions aren't doing enough to combat this, but I still feel unions have failed by letting this happen in sectors with low-to-no unionization. Now it's spreading to other sectors. I hope they manage to turn it around and eradicate this new proletariate of imported cheap labor (many are on student or cultural exchange visas) with pro forma b2b circumventing all labor laws.

At the end of the day, I agree with Cicero that selling one's labor by the hour is just another form of slavery, and I'd rather this kind of relationship didn't exist at all. Unrealistic perhaps, so we should at least have proper labor laws for those who have no choice but become wage-slaves. Be it socialism or capitalism, employment based on hourly or even monthly wages is an abonimable institution taking away humanity from those coerced into such relationships.

Labor laws are necessary to preserve a modicum of humanity and dignity in this flawed social conventionj.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Back when the IT market was bad and I was trying to get me first job that sort of b2b scam was what everyone tried to get me to do, the pay was dogshit too. Now people are being hired without degrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The Happiness Party. :lol: