Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The chuds on local social media/reddit have abandoned the bad faith 'what about peoples' livelihoods?" talking point and gone all in on "I have a constitutional right to go to Applebee's" lmao

At least they're being honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The chuds on local social media/reddit have abandoned the bad faith 'what about peoples' livelihoods?" talking point and gone all in on "I have a constitutional right to go to Applebee's" lmao

Eatin’ good, thank you

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/economics/status/1265299700409864193?s=20

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

ah well, open er up

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I wish this would have been a re-enactment of the opening scene of The Final Destination (FD4)

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
when there is a horrible resurgence or 1918 like second wave bigger than the first everyone on the right is going to be like man if only there was some way to have forced the Democrats to stop spreading this horrible disease

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

You know, I would love it if both Applebee's and Chili's disappeared forever one day, but I wonder what would fill that hole for Boomers, because I'd wish that place disappeared forever too

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

I don't think that's what it indicates

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

when there is a horrible resurgence or 1918 like second wave bigger than the first everyone on the right is going to be like man if only there was some way to have forced the Democrats to stop spreading this horrible disease

unironically looking forward to the day when our big wet boy talks about 5G spreading the virus unprompted on live tv

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

I’ve seen a steady stream of CEOs and money people on financial news shows talking about how we’re in a Depression in everything but name and everyone needs to brace for a really long recovery so that’s weird.

Apr 7, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

You know, I would love it if both Applebee's and Chili's disappeared forever one day, but I wonder what would fill that hole for Boomers, because I'd wish that place disappeared forever too

I've lost a bunch of weight and saved a bunch of money since this lockdown stuff started, and haven't even ordered takeout since mid-April. Turns out the American way of life is a bunch of bullshit!!!!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Big fan of just Trail of Tearsing the American people for the sake of the number

"Economy is looking up, but so is the death count. Oh well, we knew there would be sacrifices. All praise be to our Lord and Savior, GDP - keep going to work wage slave"

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/BrennanSpiegel/status/1265119535901732865

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Solarin posted:

start eating peanut butter toast with honey or raisins on there. really easy and cheap way to put lots of calories in you

This guy bulks.

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

fosborb posted:

america is idiots with fleeting desires to learn more about the world around them and no tools with which to discern what to learn

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I can't believe we only hit 99999.75 cum deaths by the end of May. I should've listened to cumshitter

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I've lost a bunch of weight and saved a bunch of money since this lockdown stuff started, and haven't even ordered takeout since mid-April. Turns out the American way of life is a bunch of bullshit!!!!

I feel like ive played more with my kid the last 3 weeks than the last year. I'm probably going to get a beach shelter tent, then park it on top of the dune overlooking the beach overrun with idiots drinking and dogs running around , and chill out while no one can get near me & mine

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Me watching Contagion last year:
"You know having this virus originate from Hong Kong due to lax food safety protocols seems awfully sinophobic"

Me this year:
Ah.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

not sure if this was shared outside of the doomsday economics thread

https://twitter.com/intelligencer/status/1263806719060312070?s=20

quote:

Yes, there are unemployment benefits. And some unemployed people may be making more money than when they were working. But those unemployment benefits are going to run out in July. The consensus says the unemployment rate is headed to 25 percent. Maybe we get lucky. Maybe theres an early recovery, and it only goes to 16 percent. Either way, tons of people are going to lose unemployment benefits in July. And if theyre rehired, its not going to be like before formal employment, full benefits. You want to come back to work at my restaurant? Tough luck. I can hire you only on an hourly basis with no benefits and a low wage. Thats what every business is going to be offering. Meanwhile, many, many people are going to be without jobs of any kind. It took us ten years between 2009 and 2019 to create 22 million jobs. And weve lost 30 million jobs in two months.

So when unemployment benefits expire, lots of people arent going to have any income. Those who do get jobs are going to work under more miserable conditions than before. And people, even middle-income people, given the shock that has just occurred which could happen again in the summer, could happen again in the winter you are going to want more precautionary savings. You are going to cut back on discretionary spending. Your credit score is going to be worse. Are you going to go buy a home? Are you gonna buy a car? Are you going to dine out? In Germany and China, they already reopened all the stores a month ago. You look at any survey, the restaurants are totally empty. Almost nobodys buying anything. Everybodys worried and cautious. And this is in Germany, where unemployment is up by only one percent. Forty percent of Americans have less than $400 in liquid cash saved for an emergency. You think they are going to spend?

Youre going to start having food riots soon enough. Look at the luxury stores in New York. Theyve either boarded them up or emptied their shelves, because theyre worried people are going to steal the Chanel bags. The few stores that are open, like my Whole Foods, have security guards both inside and outside. We are one step away from food riots. There are lines three miles long at food banks. Thats whats happening in America. Youre telling me everythings going to become normal in three months? Thats lunacy.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

If you had asked me at the beginning of the year how many preventable deaths a day would be required before people realize t hat individualism is a sham, I'd have said maybe 500

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
3 mile long bread lines

america!

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
72 to go!

Apr 7, 2003

zegermans posted:

If you had asked me at the beginning of the year how many preventable deaths a day would be required before people realize t hat individualism is a sham, I'd have said maybe 500

Turns out the conservative kayfabe was never an act lol

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

I feel like ive played more with my kid the last 3 weeks than the last year. I'm probably going to get a beach shelter tent, then park it on top of the dune overlooking the beach overrun with idiots drinking and dogs running around , and chill out while no one can get near me & mine

yeah my nephews (~4 years old) have been loving having both parents home all day. one misses his school quite a bit, but that's only because it was basically just playing with farm animals and other kids. actually as far as i could tell that's all it was. some story time too.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

3 mile long bread lines

america!

Christ almighty

I can only imagine what the peanut butter lines are like

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1265303763352530945?s=20

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

zegermans posted:

around 45,000 people die in the USA - every year - from lack of health insurance coverage

that's not 500 deaths a day, but still pisses me off every time I remember it

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

https://twitter.com/EinsteinoWallSt/status/1265284720209920002

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I’ve seen a steady stream of CEOs and money people on financial news shows talking about how we’re in a Depression in everything but name and everyone needs to brace for a really long recovery so that’s weird.

The "economy" runs entirely on hope and dreams and it wont go down until people suddenly have nothing to eat and their landlord is sending armed thugs to evict you

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The "economy" runs entirely on hope and dreams and it wont go down until people suddenly have nothing to eat and their landlord is sending armed thugs to evict you

:lol: you're not paying attention, that makes the number go up!

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
but if I engage in revolution to feed my family and improve society then I won’t get to be a landlord who sends armed thugs to evict people so you can see my dilemma here.

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

finally, Baloogan's time has come

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Bearjew posted:

finally, Baloogan's time has come

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
Instead of wearing my flag pin, which I wear every single day of course, I will be wearing an emoji 💯pin to honor those who have been lost to covid during this trying time. It is also to remind us all to #keepit100 and #dontgotoapplebeesatleast.

let's, for our own sake, hope it's not 100,000 more, because then what do i do with a gross ton of '💯' emoji pins?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

this is actually really neat. being able to track neighborhoods that hospitals serve in this way would allow those hospitals to resume some normal operations (elective surgeries, medical student rotations, time off for staff) with enough lead time to recall staff/shift priorities.

e: reading the paper the lead time for hospital admits is only 3 days, not a full week, but that's still more warning than we have now. the only caveat, really, is that wastewater treatment procedures are not standardized so localities will have to do some testing to find out the best sample collection points.

Admiral Ray has issued a correction as of 17:11 on May 26, 2020

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I want to backhand anyone who says that they are concerned about "the deficit" and "federal spending"

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

sportsgenius86 posted:

We went back today and everyone that doesn't have an office has to wear a mask all day and everyone is loving miserable. The worst part is that nobody really HAS to be in the office to work. But the decision makers are mega chuds so they think the whole thing is BS.

Love to commute into the office, sit in my cube, and take WebEx calls all day

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/conner_omalley/status/1265297079691247622

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

songbird chicks poop in self-contained sacks of poo poo that the parents either eat or carry away, so that their poop doesn't reveal the nest location or make the nest uninhabitable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I've already seen 5 people put this on Facebook today, so I guess this is the new Is All Fake, But Even If It's Not, It's Not That Bad Anyway thing. TLDR: CDC says 0.004% fatality rate

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html