Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
WIND EFFECT IN THE FRAMES OF BOTH OUTSIDE DOORS AT TEASA

https://i.imgur.com/UhajmZ5.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/8I0BMw6.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Part 2 :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g9yUbFPJGo

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

I don't know whether to feel blessed or cursed by my inability to launch Star Citizen lmao. For the last two days I've been getting an error code any time I try and launch it. Some of the suggested workarounds are intense:

What the actual gently caress are they doing in your hosts file?

No, stop it, you buggers are going to make me download this piece of poo poo and start poking at this rancid bag of smashed arseholes with a suitably long stick.

You can't make me.

I have an actual gaming backlog of actual games that vary from good to middling. Why would I wallow in this insult to cess pits?

Inacio posted:

actually parachutes would be a bad thing. if you land anywhere outside the designated fidelity zones in a city, you cant do anything because it's all fake.
if you land in the middle of nowhere in a planet, you cant really do anything because it's just empty procedural landscape
dying is the only real thing you can do

https://gfycat.com/farvelvetyballpython

I would think that a robust C-RAM system would be the cornerstone of any gritty libertarian corporatist utopia where men are men, women are men and life is cheap with inevitable consequences.

Daztek posted:

You should turn off UAC and claim ownership of all files and folders, imo.

Windows users, rise up!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

1) Chafing.
2) Who even looks like that. Even the military has a range of body types up to and including 'husky'.
3) Nobody needs pockets in the future?

Running back to throw in

4) Even in high wind I wouldn't walk as though I'd poo poo myself.

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 26, 2020

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Hav posted:

No, stop it, you buggers are going to make me download this piece of poo poo and start poking at this rancid bag of smashed arseholes with a suitably long stick.

You can't make me.

I have an actual gaming backlog of actual games that vary from good to middling. Why would I wallow in this insult to cess pits?

https://gfycat.com/farvelvetyballpython

I would think that a robust C-RAM system would be the cornerstone of any gritty libertarian corporatist utopia where men are men, women are men and life is cheap with inevitable consequences.

Windows users, rise up!

Do it, with Wireshark, TraceRT and stuff. Combine with alcohol and you can shitpost about the terrible info you find

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

The "World first" Idris kill is... really something to behold. Holy poo poo there is just so much going on here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZK3DTJuvno

• Idris is invincible
  • Tactics include ramming it into atmosphere
  • That loving bonk into the terrain
  • Only way to kill the idris is by shooting through a turret hole

This is so... unimpressive it's almost impressive.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Hav posted:

You can't make me.

But, but... :iiasb:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
:reddit: 'prisonception'

https://v.redd.it/x1vd19fmd4151/DASH_480

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The inevitable consequences of eating too many prodedurally generated fried eggs

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Franz Kafka's rehabilitation facility

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hav posted:

Reminder that this is what the downloader does to my connection

Each one of those is a separate connection the launcher opens :laugh:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

Not usual for a torrent client. They're probably using your outbound as well; this crushes the routing tables on most home devices, which is why the torrent aficionado throttles the number of concurrents.

Hmm. I wonder if they open....

No. Be strong.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

and you know whats funniest of all

you have to keep pausing and unpausing constantly to actually maintain a high download speed

bravo roberts

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The reason I don't have it installed is because it kills the internet in the entire house

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Agony Aunt posted:

Why would anyone's hosts file have incorrect entries for CIG's servers?

Was just getting ready to post exactly this. How far into the weeds is CIG willing to go to deflect blame from their servers? The loving HOSTS file, that old relic that has jack poo poo in it unless the user specifically puts it there? What next - config.sys? Autoexec.bat? Perhaps your MBR is pointing to the wrong system partition? GPT?? What's that, we here at CIG have never heard of such a thing!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

Hello fellow FUDsters. I'm here to spread FUD by posting a FUD video of my experience playing during the free fly.

None of what you are about to see is real. Its clearly FUD made to generate FUD and not a true representation of the game since backers report that they can play no problem. Its probably all my fault, the game is alpha, and its probably not for me.

Also, spent over an hour in free fly and didn't get to fly once... well, except in a rather unexpected way, as you will see at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_AkB5cRWC0
:five:

:confused: Waiter? Oh, waiter?
:sweatdrop: Ah, how may I assist you, sir?
:confused: I do believe there is a fly in my spaceship soup.
:sweatdrop: Ah, yes. It's the complimentary fly. Free of charge, courtesy of the - and please excuse my language, sir - the bumbling fool over there by table three.
:confused: Who? Oh, no! Not him again!

:trustme: It's the best soup fly ever. You should thank me!
:raise: Excuse me, sir.
:trustme: What is it now?
:raise: It's about your bill, sir.
:trustme: Well, what about it?
:raise: Well, sir, I'm afraid we don't accept this... Cutlass? ...as payment for your food, sir.
:trustme: Oh. Well, I absolve myself of that whole misunderstanding and I'll make sure to get you an Idris next time I'm here.
:raise: But, sir...
:trustme: Oh, look at the time. I must go. Just wait a bit longer and I'll have that Idris for you. Think of the fidelity!
:raise: Please wait, sir!
:trustme: *sound of a car door slamming shut and a Porsche speeding away down the street* Think of the fidelityyyyyyyy!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Does SC actually write to the hosts file? I spare myself the "why" question, but would love to see what it adds there...for the :lol:s

e: it's meshing the servers, right?

tuo fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 26, 2020

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

tuo posted:

Does SC actually write to the hosts file? I spare myself the "why" question, but would love to see what it adds there...for the :lol:s

It didn't on my install. There are so very, very few reasons to ever use that file, and the very few people who need to generally understand why they need to and understand the implications. And for that reason alone it feels like a very CIG thing to do. But at least on my rig it's unblemished.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

Was just getting ready to post exactly this. How far into the weeds is CIG willing to go to deflect blame from their servers? The loving HOSTS file, that old relic that has jack poo poo in it unless the user specifically puts it there? What next - config.sys? Autoexec.bat? Perhaps your MBR is pointing to the wrong system partition? GPT?? What's that, we here at CIG have never heard of such a thing!

Is this is a Chris Roberts game then the issue usually lays in EMM386.exe

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tuo posted:

Some citizens used to mess with the hosts file to play the local PU hack from years ago. That's about it.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inacio posted:

actually parachutes would be a bad thing. if you land anywhere outside the designated fidelity zones in a city, you cant do anything because it's all fake.
if you land in the middle of nowhere in a planet, you cant really do anything because it's just empty procedural landscape
dying is the only real thing you can do

Star Citizen: dying is the only real thing you can do

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

trucutru posted:

Is this is a Chris Roberts game then the issue usually lays in EMM386.exe

Those backers need SoftRAM95!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoftRAM

Oh, it was found to be fraudulent by the FTC and pulled from the market? That's Chris Roberts all over.

Also apparently the FTC used to be able to spot software fraud.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

It didn't on my install. There are so very, very few reasons to ever use that file, and the very few people who need to generally understand why they need to and understand the implications. And for that reason alone it feels like a very CIG thing to do. But at least on my rig it's unblemished.

trucutru posted:

Some citizens used to mess with the hosts file to play the local PU hack from years ago. That's about it.

That's the actual problem with SC. The mind says "not even someone fresh out of college would do that", but then there are the thousands of TCP-connections, the need for admin rights, the need to delete the user folder which is somehow below the game directory and all the other stuff which makes you think again...

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Agony Aunt posted:

Why would anyone's hosts file have incorrect entries for CIG's servers?

For those times when your credit card is maxed and you still want to feel the experience of the Star Citizen world, you copy their webpage and redirect everything back to your local machine so you can still feel that sugar rush of buying everything.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

A cool addenda to the SoftRAM story is that originally, the software company tried to sue the reviewing company because they claimed the software didn't do what they said it did. That case was brought before a judge, who basically said if you're going to make these claims about the software, you need more evidence. So the reviewing company collected all the evidence and presented their case, which wound up getting it on the FTC's radar, which lead to the software company's downfall. So in a world where the developers never tried to sue someone for a review, the fraud could have continued indefinitely.

So the "HOW DARE YOU" gambit oftentimes has unintended consequences. A lesson for our times indeed.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

If your comment out mouse.com that frees up just enough memory do you can see your hand on the flight stick when you're flying the ship.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The Titanic posted:

For those times when your credit card is maxed and you still want to feel the experience of the Star Citizen world, you copy their webpage and redirect everything back to your local machine so you can still feel that sugar rush of buying everything.

That just sounds like the same findom with even more added steps

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

No Man's Sky is coming to XBox Games Pass next month

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

A cool addenda to the SoftRAM story is that originally, the software company tried to sue the reviewing company because they claimed the software didn't do what they said it did. That case was brought before a judge, who basically said if you're going to make these claims about the software, you need more evidence. So the reviewing company collected all the evidence and presented their case, which wound up getting it on the FTC's radar, which lead to the software company's downfall. So in a world where the developers never tried to sue someone for a review, the fraud could have continued indefinitely.

I never believed that marketing anyway; it didn't make any sense. Xtradrv and Stacker were legit for HDDs, though. 137Mb Hard drives were living large, and you eked a bit more space out of the int13 VxD drivers that de/compressed files on the fly. They were literally amazing for large text collections because 10:1 was effortless and realtime.

RAM Compressors were always scams, though.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

My favorite part (well second favorite after seeing it just balanced on its nose on the ground, twitching around) was that the only way he had to find the Idris was to be in third person mode just looking around. None of the half dozen HUD displays could tell him something as simple as "capital ship over there".

Like this mess:

You'd think that would be the scanner or something, it looks sort of like the one in ED- but it's just a mess of unlabeled dots in 2D.

Then there's this mess on the bottom:

What are those squares supposed to be? They kept jumping around randomly, and later turn into some sort of cones?

What's all that churning and bubbling? You call that a radar screen?

Zushio
May 8, 2008
No sir, that was the coffee maker.

This is the radar screen.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Zushio posted:

No sir, that was the coffee maker.

This is the radar screen.

Star Citizen: Surrounded by assholes

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
meanwhile, apparently there's so many people spamming the website to try to buy these new aegis(s) ships that everything crashed?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Last one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH0rQwiI3qI

After this I tried to open it and there was no launch button.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Amazing

boviscopophobic posted:

I don't keep tabs on the tracker anymore, but back when I did, I occasionally saw outages. The longest one in my records was about 74 hours starting 2018-09-18 at around 14:50 UTC. You can verify that this outage shows up in the public spreadsheet. There were also subsequent outages of < 2 hours on 2018-09-21 and 2018-09-25. In all of 2017, there were 6 periods lasting anywhere from 1-9 hours where the tracker did not report additional revenue.

Well drat, I stand corrected. Perhaps it is not a blatant lie after all!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Last King posted:

meanwhile, apparently there's so many people spamming the website to try to buy these new aegis(s) ships that everything crashed?

They're not even new, they're put up for sale like 4 times per year at this point

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I guess we can test that tracker in real time, because the website is down right now :lol:

fleet week just going great

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Not usual for a torrent client. They're probably using your outbound as well; this crushes the routing tables on most home devices, which is why the torrent aficionado throttles the number of concurrents.

Hmm. I wonder if they open....

No. Be strong.

I wouldn't be surprised if the launcher uses UPnP to open ports on the router/firewall, exposing the LAN to the Internet. That would be very consistent with CIG's customer support system exposing the user tags :D

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

I guess we can test that tracker in real time, because the website is down right now :lol:

this is insane... :edit: :edit: used a better picture i found.

now a video showing in real time: https://clips.twitch.tv/CheerfulHotGuanacoPhilosoraptor

already sold out of all these limited ships according to reddit.

literally took like less than a minute.

Last King fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Sarsapariller posted:

Too many fires burning right now, they needed to shut it down and reset everything, get all the paid shills and white knights and pr and qc and cs employees on the same page.