Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

FunkyFjord posted:

this does however kind of sort of require three people though.

Personally, I'd consider that a major plus for RJ. I hate playing alone.

FunkyFjord posted:

and in this game with constant odd network issues they need to accommodate solo play.

Fair enough.... though long term, they'd probably be better off focusing on those odd network issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Infested don't have shields

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Psion posted:

You can get away with artillery cheap shot, hyperflux, and tether to save you enough flux/dome charges to easily clear Gian without it but generally I agree with you that battle forge is key for anything remotely resembling a speed run

e: yes replacing 1 mod with 3 sounds dumb but I already slot the other two so it's really just using cheap shot if you don't have forge

Yup, those 3 really make it easy. Arty cheap shot i kept trying to get away without, but it makes it. Kinda sucked giving up cruising speed because of how much fun it makes flying, but gotta grind fast.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
DE has to give us Railjack loadout slots so I can swap between a real build and the bullshit Gian Point speedfarm build that insta pops fighters with OP abilities like tether.

Tether is obscene. It really should not work that way.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Psion posted:

You can get away with artillery cheap shot, hyperflux, and tether to save you enough flux/dome charges to easily clear Gian without it but generally I agree with you that battle forge is key for anything remotely resembling a speed run

e: yes replacing 1 mod with 3 sounds dumb but I already slot the other two so it's really just using cheap shot if you don't have forge

It's really nice to just not have to use the forge at all to beat a level. If you jump into the level and the RJ matchmaker decides it hates you and you get no pubbies today, that set of three mods makes it easier to solo without having to jump back and forth to the forge.
And if you do have teammates, it means one of them doesn't have to be tied up on forge stuff.

Phobophilia posted:

DE has to give us Railjack loadout slots so I can swap between a real build and the bullshit Gian Point speedfarm build that insta pops fighters with OP abilities like tether.

Tether is obscene. It really should not work that way.

Pro tip: insta popping fighters with tether is good on real missions too!
I have room for plenty of other mods to round out a build even with the crappy dojo mk3 reactor which has like half the avionics capacity of a vidar one.

e:

Raptor1033 posted:

oof. between amalgum daikyu target acquired and argon scope it's extremely tempting to try for a headshot build. Ya'll said zaw nikanas count for the synergy, right? Headshots on PS4 are harder just by nature, I seem to have a much easier time committing atrocities on enemy nutsacks rather than domes somehow. gently caress, decisions.

You'd probably be oneshotting stuff on headshots with a proper crit bow anyways, so the daikyu mod that only increases single-target headshot damage isn't really that hot.
If you really wanna have fun poppin' heads, get a kitgun with pax seeker! Every headshot kill makes the enemy explode into 4+ homing projectiles that will seek out and oneshot all the poor saps around your original target.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 26, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

gaj70 posted:

Personally, I'd consider that a major plus for RJ. I hate playing alone.

Same. I thought the big shiny button to jump into railjack was a very good thing. The button is better than the normal mission selections, even. My big beef with railjack is one of networking, and that will never be "fixed", so its content holds zero value to me aside from annoyingly gating MR. It's probably the same way some people who hate dolons feel about amps/focus, though at least in the case of focus there are non-dolon reasons for gaining it.

More or less it's the begging the clan for poo poo that I hate. That was fine when I started, but at 1400+ hours in it doesn't feel right crying in clan chat every time there's a railjack/index/grendel/whatever thing that DE feels like injecting.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Ya and thats why I say they need to both implement command intrinsics and fix that networks stuff. I have a feeling the first is actually easier even if they both would take the same amount of time. DE has talked about servers for various issues and it typically sounds like getting more at all is a tad cost prohibitive.

If people REALLY want to have fun with head shots they'll get real good with the Knell or the Dual Toxocyst.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Raptor1033 posted:

oof. between amalgum daikyu target acquired and argon scope it's extremely tempting to try for a headshot build. Ya'll said zaw nikanas count for the synergy, right? Headshots on PS4 are harder just by nature, I seem to have a much easier time committing atrocities on enemy nutsacks rather than domes somehow. gently caress, decisions.

Excalibur + Surging Dash + Hybrid Nikana combo build + Amalgam Daiku TA + Furious Javelin is an unkillable wave of mutilation made manifest.

Add Exodia Contagion if you like 7 digit damage numbers.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

temple posted:

Infested don't have shields

Oh yeah, I thought the there was some deep lore story reason I'd missed.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
So yesterday I got my Mesa Prime and took it for a spin. It's lvl 22 I believe, so not max yet. I loaded it up with mostly +energy, +duration and some +efficiency and strenght with the obligatory vitality for me (it is Forma'd).
Guides tell me that the idea is to keep the shield up and then use Peacemaker (also modded it) to shoot things down. However, I barely have the energy for that, let alone enough to keep it actually going. Is this something more end-game focussed and I should just keep grinding (I'm mastery 6)?

I heard about some school that helps with energy management, but I took the Steel option and barely have 20.000 points. So presumably those bonuses from the little skilltree are also far away.

Rhino and Wukong Prime I seem to understand a bit better and they are a lot more forgiving on newbies I think. So I'm not stuck or anything, just wondering when my space cowboy starts to pop off.

Also thanks for the 3-4 RJ runs yesterday; it was a great experience, even though it was all spent sitting in a turret getting lost, shooting things. I got a bunch of rewards that I strangely couldn't find anywhere. No idea what I actually got from RJ, but the experience and credit boost was super welcome!

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Railjack is a game type that is normally the kind of thing you play doin like exploration and discovering things, restricting it to just combat missions is pretty dull.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Acht posted:

. Is this something more end-game focussed and I should just keep grinding (I'm mastery 6)?

Mods like Primed Flow will also help with your energy capacity once you have them. Don't sweat it too much for now, just pop your 3 if you need to and use 4 to screen delete if you are at or near max energy and don't need it for anything else. Oh, and don't forget that you can increase efficiency to reduce the amount of energy your abilities use, if you can't increase your reserves any further.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Acht posted:

Guides tell me that the idea is to keep the shield up and then use Peacemaker (also modded it) to shoot things down. However, I barely have the energy for that, let alone enough to keep it actually going. Is this something more end-game focussed and I should just keep grinding (I'm mastery 6)?

That's Mesa. Tank range, max efficiency, split duration and damage leaning towards more in damage. Hit 3 when it runs out, hit 4 and kill the world. Make sure to mod up your exalted guns.

Rhino is a big ol' pile of armor, and extra good when the energy limitations hurt early on. Wukong is free spy missions and the second best at speedrunning stuff, so he'll be a staple.

The school you're referring to is a different thing to the factions, which is what you're thinking of. It's a spoiler (don't look it up, it's a sweet reveal) that will be revealed when you finish the War Within quest near the end of the starchart. It doesn't entirely solve the energy economy problem but it sure as hell helps. Eventually energy will stop being something that concerns you and that's when a lot of frames get sweet.

I misread and am dumb. I thought you meant Steel Meridian. Yeah, if you didn't pick Zenurik you'll need to pay the points to pick it and get a lens to gain points there.

The Railjack gear you got will be waiting when you build your Railjack, and the resources you collected by grouping up will be used for building the jack and jack-related stuff. It'll probably be a little bit before you get jackin', though I don't know offhand when it unlocks.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 26, 2020

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Mailer posted:

That's Mesa. Tank range, max efficiency, split duration and damage leaning towards more in damage. Hit 3 when it runs out, hit 4 and kill the world. Make sure to mod up your exalted guns.

Rhino is a big ol' pile of armor, and extra good when the energy limitations hurt early on. Wukong is free spy missions and the second best at speedrunning stuff, so he'll be a staple.

The school you're referring to is a different thing to the factions, which is what you're thinking of. It's a spoiler (don't look it up, it's a sweet reveal) that will be revealed when you finish the War Within quest near the end of the starchart. It doesn't entirely solve the energy economy problem but it sure as hell helps. Eventually energy will stop being something that concerns you and that's when a lot of frames get sweet.

The Railjack gear you got will be waiting when you build your Railjack, and the resources you collected by grouping up will be used for building the jack and jack-related stuff. It'll probably be a little bit before you get jackin', though I don't know offhand when it unlocks.

Ah thanks a lot. The Mesa, Rhino and Wukong makes sense and the remarks concerning the schools is actually what I was trying to figure out; eventually energy will be solved and that will very much open up frames and builds. Cool.
I'm at the War Within quest, so I'll try doing that tonight.
Think I might have been doing a bit too much recently and should focus on completing the basics first.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Acht posted:

So yesterday I got my Mesa Prime and took it for a spin. It's lvl 22 I believe, so not max yet. I loaded it up with mostly +energy, +duration and some +efficiency and strenght with the obligatory vitality for me (it is Forma'd).

I heard about some school that helps with energy management, but I took the Steel option and barely have 20.000 points. So presumably those bonuses from the little skilltree are also far away.

Rhino and Wukong Prime I seem to understand a bit better and they are a lot more forgiving on newbies I think. So I'm not stuck or anything, just wondering when my space cowboy starts to pop off.

Also thanks for the 3-4 RJ runs yesterday; it was a great experience, even though it was all spent sitting in a turret getting lost, shooting things. I got a bunch of rewards that I strangely couldn't find anywhere. No idea what I actually got from RJ, but the experience and credit boost was super welcome!

The problem is that you just have "some" +efficiency, when you basically want max efficiency.
Luckily there are only two mods that increase it, and with the both of them together you can hit the cap. You already have a Streamline, but you need to get yourself a Fleeting Expertise mod too.
With both of those together, abilities will only cost 25% of normal energy costs and they become way, way more spammable. I basically use that mod combination by default on any ability focused frame unless I'm really minmaxing it because it's so nice.

You can ask around in clan chat and see if a goon has an extra copy to give or sell to you, or you can bug some goons to do Derelict Vault runs with you to get corrupted mod drops and have a chance at getting it that way (Plus a bunch of other useful corrupted mods like Heavy Caliber, Vile Acceleration, Overextended and Narrow Minded). You can get the recipes for the dragon keys that are needed for vault runs in the clan dojo.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 26, 2020

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The problem is that you just have "some" +efficiency, when you basically want max efficiency.
Luckily there are only two mods that increase it, and with the both of them together you can hit the cap. You already have a Streamline, but you need to get yourself a Fleeting Expertise mod too.
With both of those together, abilities will only cost 25% of normal energy costs and they become way, way more spammable. I basically use that mod combination by default on any ability focused frame unless I'm really minmaxing it because it's so nice.

Got it, thanks. I think I have an Expertise added as well, but they are not maxed out yet. I'll grind out the endo and sell duplicate mods for Endo to get them (close) to max. I already did that for the max energy mod and I have a regen energy aura.

quote:

You can ask around in clan chat and see if a goon has an extra copy to give or sell to you, or you can bug some goons to do Derelict Vault runs with you to get corrupted mod drops and have a chance at getting it that way (Plus a bunch of other useful corrupted mods like Heavy Caliber, Vile Acceleration, Overextended and Narrow Minded). You can get the recipes for the dragon keys that are needed for vault runs in the clan dojo.

I'll have to look up what vault runs and dragon keys are later, but I did do some derelict missions during the questline. Really liked them too. The assassination fight was fantastic. If these derelict missions are the ones that drop special mods, that would be fun to run and grind.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Acht posted:

I'll have to look up what vault runs and dragon keys are later, but I did do some derelict missions during the questline. Really liked them too. The assassination fight was fantastic. If these derelict missions are the ones that drop special mods, that would be fun to run and grind.

There are four Dragon Keys, all of which when equipped in your Gear Wheel will give a massive debuff to a stat, either Health, Shields, Movement Speed or Damage.
Every Derelict, except Defense and Assassination, will have an Orokin Vault somewhere in it and the door requires one, random Dragon Key to open. The reward for looting the vault is a random Corrupted Mod.

You generally want your group to have all four keys so that you don't find a vault and realize that you can't open it.
You either have everyone in the team carrying one key or have a single key carrier with all of them.

Since the health and shield penalty don't affect skills, Rhino and Nezha are good picks if you want to do Solo Vault runs.

The Dragon Key blueprints are in dojo, if you use a teleporter, there should be room named "DRAGON KEYS HERE" or something similar.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

throw to first drat IT posted:

There are four Dragon Keys, all of which when equipped in your Gear Wheel will give a massive debuff to a stat, either Health, Shields, Movement Speed or Damage.
Every Derelict, except Defense and Assassination, will have an Orokin Vault somewhere in it and the door requires one, random Dragon Key to open. The reward for looting the vault is a random Corrupted Mod.

You generally want your group to have all four keys so that you don't find a vault and realize that you can't open it.
You either have everyone in the team carrying one key or have a single key carrier with all of them.

Since the health and shield penalty don't affect skills, Rhino and Nezha are good picks if you want to do Solo Vault runs.

The Dragon Key blueprints are in dojo, if you use a teleporter, there should be room named "DRAGON KEYS HERE" or something similar.

drat this sounds fun. I'll be talking this over with my friend who also recently started, seems like a cool party-activity. I got a nicely setup Rhino too.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Acht posted:

drat this sounds fun. I'll be talking this over with my friend who also recently started, seems like a cool party-activity. I got a nicely setup Rhino too.

Its fun if you're not carrying the hobbled dragon key

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

An important thing about the hobbled dragon key: It doesn't affect parkour speed.

It still loving sucks, but your bullet jumps are safe.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I accidentally left a Hobbled Key on when I did the Nightwave investigation resolution yesterday. :v:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Once I was doing vaults with goons and we transitioned to sortie and every one of us forgot to uneqip the keys. We stil did it tho.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Report from MR3 on a new account in a non-goon platform: I finally managed to scrape together the plastids for Rhino. All weapons hit like tissue paper. Energy lets me use one ability before having to find like eight more balls to charge it. I regularly get clowned by corpus shield generators. I picked Volt so I don't even get to use the cool energy sword to clean house once in a while. Everything is horrible.

If the new player experience feels like this to someone who already knows what they're doing how the hell does anyone ever stick with this game.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Basically, getting max efficiency is the first step in getting the general state of your entire repertoire to a level where you can freely spam abilities. Efficiency works by directly subtracting that percentage of the cost from the initial value: that means every point of efficiency you can muster is worth more than the previous point. Note that maximum efficiency is +75%. A rank 4 Fleeting Expertise is +50% efficiency, a rank 4 Streamline is +25% efficiency, and having those two mods at those specific ranks is for the most part the most optimal application of mod capacity.

Acht posted:

Mesa Prime

What I have here is the skeleton of a good starter Mesa build:
https://overframe.gg/build/44530/

Vitality and Narrow Minded are nowhere near maxed out: it's not necessary to rank these mods up to rank 10 just yet, 6-8 is quite affordable. The important thing is you max out efficiency, make up for the loss of duration with Continuity and Narrow Minded, and include Vitality and Intensify to round out your attributes. There are two empty slots available, you have several options. You could stack on more duration with Augur Message, you could increase your energy pool with Flow to give your peacemakers a longer operating time. Play around with options.

Your next step is modding your Regulators exalted weapon.
https://overframe.gg/build/44533/

Here is a good start. There is a slot missing, you'll probably want to slot in a fire rate mod there once you put some forma into it. Building this is very important, and fairly straightforward, it's effectively a crit secondary.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Mailer posted:

Report from MR3 on a new account in a non-goon platform: I finally managed to scrape together the plastids for Rhino. All weapons hit like tissue paper. Energy lets me use one ability before having to find like eight more balls to charge it. I regularly get clowned by corpus shield generators. I picked Volt so I don't even get to use the cool energy sword to clean house once in a while. Everything is horrible.

If the new player experience feels like this to someone who already knows what they're doing how the hell does anyone ever stick with this game.

They said on a devstream that basically all F2P devs agree going from their stats that new player experience basically changes nothing to the rate of new players staying.

I think there's a general industry wide problem of reading stats like Google reads UI stats to make decisions or some other mass delusion, because the giant clusterfuck that is NPE has got to repel people en masse. For me the bugbear is PoE, when I started playing I was on my way to Mars and the game dumped me in this giant open world where I had no idea what the gently caress I was doing, or what the conditions where to get Ordis to pick me up, and all the enemies were stronger than I'd ever seen and ghouls were running after me and they had toxin poo poo with them and my Mag was not really ready for that.

I must have run after the bounty team for fifteen minutes with ghouls on my rear end the whole time, got extracted by the team sitting in the evac zone. I don't really know why I didn't spike the game right there.

For that matter, I don't understand why the AW launcher is still clantech instead of a free giveaway for the plains intro quest.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

McKilligan posted:

Excalibur + Surging Dash + Hybrid Nikana combo build + Amalgam Daiku TA + Furious Javelin is an unkillable wave of mutilation made manifest.

Add Exodia Contagion if you like 7 digit damage numbers.

Thanks, I'll make a new loadout and give it a try. Though I'd have to make a new sepfahn for a hybrid Contagion build :(

Ps4 Europa invasion alert! Catalyst vs Reactor!

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Mailer posted:

If you don’t have a friend with 3k+ hours in already, you attach yourself to one of the streamer communities and they help you out. Or you just quit. Warframe’s success is definitely a product of the community programs and they’re insanely lucky that rebb decided to intern there back in the day.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
oof. Pretty dressup doll fashion frame doing a lot of heavy lifting keeping the existential dread at bay.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Raptor1033 posted:

oof. Pretty dressup doll fashion frame doing a lot of heavy lifting keeping the existential dread at bay.

What's the limit on thread title length?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Mailer posted:

What platform?

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Trying to come up with a Nyx build to make the most of the new augment for her 4 -- does anyone know if Adaptation reduces its effectiveness? I assume probably not, since it's just incoming damage, not 'inflicted' damage, right?

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

throw to first drat IT posted:

The way the Dojo teleporters are set up I would have assumed DRAGON KEYS HERE warps you into outer space or some kind of inescapable troll room.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

SIGSEGV posted:

They said on a devstream that basically all F2P devs agree going from their stats that new player experience basically changes nothing to the rate of new players staying.

I think there's a general industry wide problem

just for a minute please compare "the entire f2p industry, with all their analytics and full-picture data, agree" with "but I think they're just wrong because (anecdote)"

Now, that aside, I agree with you the new player experience in Warframe is awful. And yet they've managed years of success despite you thinking they're wrong, as have many, many f2p developers. You have to admit there's something to their argument based on the existence of this game for us to argue about.

and of course the many failed f2p games out there prove it's not as straightforward as remembering PEMDAS and solving for x. Figuring out how f2p games work (or don't) is a complicated-rear end question that isn't easily guaranteed or else somebody would've done it already.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I think novelty makes people more tolerant of jank, not less.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
My theory for the reason behind the numbers would be something like :-

F2P games require a sense of community to give context and value. Especially for things that cost money.
Bizarre, obtuse and arcane bits of the game make you access a community (even if it's just YT or Reddit guides), and reward you for doing so.
Also, this means the player is open to reminders that the game exists, knowledge of when stuff is updated, new content, etc.
People who don't want to google stuff or engage with communities will drop the game at the first distraction anyway.

No statements on the ethics or morals of such products.

Like, if Gatcha games didn't have the thing of remaking your account 500 times to get a good starting dragon/servant/waifu how much easier would it be to avoid the sunk-cost fallacy on them?

Tylana fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 26, 2020

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Finally doing the Railjack quest. Kind of annoying waiting 6 hours to continue onto the next part :smith:.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
As the devs have said, anything they do to the npe doesn't affect their retention numbers much. Yeah it still sucks, but to quote scott: "some people will open the mod interface, say 'gently caress it I am not learning that' and close the game". And he's not wrong. The bar to entry is high and you can be helped by a community/clan/Stockholm syndrome, but there are still those with that support available who will open, play, close the game and never pick it up again, ever.

Recent dev streams have shown that they look into their own player stats often since they have a vast, VAST repository to pull from. And they look at them and evaluate things, like the red rocket event to tweak for "most fun", but if you think that means they haven't done a real thorough analysis of their player base, I don't know what to tell you.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Tylana posted:

Bizarre, obtuse and arcane bits of the game make you access a community (even if it's just YT or Reddit guides), and reward you for doing so.

This is the idea that gets quoted a lot, and I think that's where the logical break is. There is value in searching out arcane bits of the game in some sort of meta quest for hidden knowledge. My first few posts in this thread are adorable, but also point out a lot that isn't shown and can wreck everything in the first few hours. Requiring a sherpa to navigate the very basic facets of the game makes for interesting newbie posts in the thread but is horrible for jumping people through to the tasty, addictive part of the game. I'm not saying you'd need an entire overhaul even (though that'd be sweet), just a few more nudges and emails/lotuscomms pointing you in the right direction.

Also, fun console time: On xbone, with my first login bonus after having created the account over a year ago, I got a 75% off coupon. Never had one on PC. I went to go buy a Strun so I'd have a halfway decent gun - and it consumes the 75%. That has to be the world's most worthless coupon. :v:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there are a massive amount of people who don't want to put in the effort it takes to get over the initial hurdle in warframe and i 100% don't blame them in the slightest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I also started again recently on a new platform (switch) and found it fine. Now I did join the goon clan but theres usually just 3ish people online and all I asked for was unflawed basic mods like serration so not exactly a massive power boost. I could pretty much just mash melee to deal with most problems until I got to MR4 and then its Hek and yknow. I also started with excalibur cos on my PC account I went volt and that kinda screwed me for relay fights. Amazing how much easier it is with radial blind...