Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

It doesn't matter even if no jokes were ruined, it's still the WRONG way to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

CodfishCartographer posted:

Who gives a poo poo about missing out on one joke a season due to the cropping, where the gently caress are the commentary tracks?

e: What jokes were butchered by that anyways? I can literally only think of the one with the three types of duff coming from the same tube. I'm sure there must be more but I can't remember any.

It's not a question of how many jokes are cut off per se, it's a matter of whether you want to see the show as it was intended to be seen vs. making the "most" out of your widescreen TV (by blowing up and cropping what was a relatively low res image to begin with)

e: and I'm pretty sure people can still just stretch the 4:3 image to 16:9 like they always have

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I was just watching the Scorpio episode which has a bit where Hank and Homer are on treadmills and when they get off they’re on a moving walkway. Thanks to the cropping you can’t see the treadmills or the walkway so the scene is just bizarre.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
It also just plain looks like poo poo in 16x9, but it might still look like poo poo in 4x3.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
oops

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The cropping is really bad, if they aren't squashed or stretched, its often zoomed in so close that only a portion of their face takes up the whole screen. There's also more than a handful of jokes that are cropped out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And I thought 'Jesus as an incompetent magician' was a South Park joke.

bobjr posted:

It's an episode I just saw, where Marge writes a steamy romance novel with Homer as a terrible husband and Ned as the hot romantic guy, while the B plot is Homer acting like a crazy homeless person to get money to buy a gift for Marge, but then keeps going with it because of the money he makes.

But yeah it does seem to come out of nowhere.

Watching season 10 on there are a few characters that are new from that point that do appear a lot more, like the "YESSS" Guy, Lisa Nagel (Female executive) and weirdly enough Disco Stu.

I remember that one, doesn't it start with Homer getting kicked out of the bar and dancing for money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeMlMCOam9w

Also remember the bit where Marge's novel sells well despite being pretty trashy and the protagonist's name changing to Marge for a few paragraphs.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember that one, doesn't it start with Homer getting kicked out of the bar and dancing for money.

Also remember the bit where Marge's novel sells well despite being pretty trashy and the protagonist's name changing to Marge for a few paragraphs.

I'm pretty sure those are two different episodes? Didn't the Marge's Book episode have Homer buying an ambulance as the B-plot?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Now I'm picturing the Eastern Europe drug ambulance story but with Homer Simpson.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The rat as remote joke was okay and then a lady literally just walks onscreen to explain the joke

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

What's going on with the people walking past Homer as he dances? Why do they all look like poo poo? They don't even look like they belong in the same show.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I clicked on the disney+ tweet to find the date 4:3 simpsons would be out and every loving reply was insane nerds screaming about some poo poo called wandavision

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Eh! Frank posted:

What's going on with the people walking past Homer as he dances? Why do they all look like poo poo? They don't even look like they belong in the same show.

Usually that means someone drew their friends or family into the show.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Homer's dancing is animated really oddly there too

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Riptor posted:

Homer's dancing is animated really oddly there too

It's a rotoscoped 3d model.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJb1_QiF-9w

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wheres the loving joke? Homer dancing isnt funny, the rat is mildly amusing at best. An entire minute of a 22minute comedy show without a hint of humour.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I'm too distracted by Moe telling him to 'make it through the night', when it's the middle of the day.

It's the antithesis of :perfect:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Nutsngum posted:

Wheres the loving joke? Homer dancing isnt funny, the rat is mildly amusing at best. An entire minute of a 22minute comedy show without a hint of humour.

The other 21 minutes ain't so hot neither.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Simpsons makes me irrationally angry because it proves you can make 23 years of absolute garbage and still get paid.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Simpsons makes me irrationally angry because it proves you can make 23 years of absolute garbage and still get paid.

Don’t let this guy find out about Saturday Night Live :ssh:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Definitely don't point him toward a mirror!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Don’t let this guy find out about Saturday Night Live :ssh:

Isn't SNL an avante-garte show? How else can you explain a program presented by comedians can run for 45 laugh-free years?

I remember truly hating that episode where Lisa gets bullied by a new girl, "Bye Bye Nerdie". You'd think it lead into some interesting material, until it turns out bullies are compelled to beat up nerds because of their smell. That wasn't funny, amusing, or interesting. This is when twelve year-old me realized that TV shows spoil the same way as the milk in your fridge. I'm sure someone in this thread could think of a better ending for that episode than the nonsense technobabble we got.

I can't think of a more thoughtless take on the extremely serious matter of bullying.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 26, 2020

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I think that late 90s-early 00s period of TV in general was a bit of a cultural low point. Wasn't that the height of blatant trashy-ness with very little nuance or a moral lesson to reflect upon the trash? Jerry Springer, WWF Attitude era, reality tv, When ___ Attacks, etc.

At the time I want to say that this period of Simpsons felt like it was reflective of it's time moreso than people tend to consider in these good vs bad Simpsons discussions. Sure it never recovered and only got worse, but still.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

That was around the height of the reality show craze iirc, so yes.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

iamsosmrt posted:

I think that late 90s-early 00s period of TV in general was a bit of a cultural low point. Wasn't that the height of blatant trashy-ness with very little nuance or a moral lesson to reflect upon the trash? Jerry Springer, WWF Attitude era, reality tv, When ___ Attacks, etc.

At the time I want to say that this period of Simpsons felt like it was reflective of it's time moreso than people tend to consider in these good vs bad Simpsons discussions. Sure it never recovered and only got worse, but still.

I have never thought about it really was like that. Really, why was everything so nasty?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Moon Monster posted:

That was around the height of the reality show craze iirc, so yes.

I have a feeling that it was more of a combination of about 3 things.

Up until the late 90's, ABC, NBC, and CBS all had schedules dominated with movies and sports. You can look it up on Wikipedia, and there are multiple nights during the week that your options were a baseball game, a mediocre movie, or a block of sitcoms (only one of which would last more than two seasons). As sports moved to cable and movies on TV were falling out of favor, more things were needed to fill that time.

On top of that, initially you had Fox, as a broadcast network without a full schedule, so you could get away with filling your days with reruns and movies, add the WB and UPN to the pile, and now there's a whole lot more demand for new programming to fill that time.

Lastly, there was a big writer's strike in the early 00's, which I think is what really sealed the deal on reality TV, because you don't need a writer if you point your camera at a bunch of dumbasses.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

reality shows are also relatively cheaper to make than a scripted drama, definitely cheaper to make than a cartoon, and maybe cheaper than sports? $$$

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reality TV is very cheap to make, has a quick turnaround and doesn't rely on named talent. It's addictive junk TV for both the audience and network. The downside is that as obvious space-filler it's really easy to lose audience interest to almost anything else.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

iamsosmrt posted:

Simpsons WAS a product of its time, explicitly satirizing the media of the 90s. However, that's not an excuse why it's bad nowadays - nothing is beyond "the writers are bad." I see people complain about constant celebrities in new episodes, but old ones did that as early as season 2. I see people complain about jerkass Homer, but he was often a monster to his family in golden era as well. It's 100% just "the writers aren't as clever or funny anymore" - if they were, then they could have shifted Simpsons to continue to reflect media as time went on.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I remember truly hating that episode where Lisa gets bullied by a new girl, "Bye Bye Nerdie". You'd think it lead into some interesting material, until it turns out bullies are compelled to beat up nerds because of their smell. That wasn't funny, amusing, or interesting. This is when twelve year-old me realized that TV shows spoil the same way as the milk in your fridge. I'm sure someone in this thread could think of a better ending for that episode than the nonsense technobabble we got.

I can't think of a more thoughtless take on the extremely serious matter of bullying.

Yeah, even as a kid who was bullied, the idea of a bully basically reacting like an animal would react to pheromones didn't sit right with me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty much sadly in line with most media treating bullying as a natural fact of life rather than a problem. Even South Park made some points with how bullying is a universal phenomenon, genuinely damaging and can and does come from angles people don't expect, and that ended as a parody of the Kony fiasco.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There’s a stretch of seasons where they loved to parody “Who let the dogs out”

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

Yeah, even as a kid who was bullied, the idea of a bully basically reacting like an animal would react to pheromones didn't sit right with me.
I always took it as being a satire of overly simplistic narratives regarding bullying. See Homer's oblivious line about it all being for attention

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I always took it as being a satire of overly simplistic narratives regarding bullying. See Homer's oblivious line about it all being for attention

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'ma paraphrase Coca-Cola here and say they're not that smart and they're not that stupid.

I have a feeling this is extremely darkly funny for literature majors and grad students

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

Simpsons WAS a product of its time, explicitly satirizing the media of the 90s. However, that's not an excuse why it's bad nowadays - nothing is beyond "the writers are bad." I see people complain about constant celebrities in new episodes, but old ones did that as early as season 2. I see people complain about jerkass Homer, but he was often a monster to his family in golden era as well. It's 100% just "the writers aren't as clever or funny anymore" - if they were, then they could have shifted Simpsons to continue to reflect media as time went on.

My post was not a defense of the modern bad Simpsons (not sure if you took it that way) but just an observation of the situation surrounding the period that most people agree started the shows big downturn.

I think the writers got into the habit of relying on lazy stories and trashy, in-your-face gags during this time and the show was still pretty relevant for the era. The contrast with later bad Simpsons is that the jokes got worse and worse over time and the show's become pretty irrelevant as a result. i'm guess I'm saying I see the beginnings of a really lovely formula and they've more or less aped to increasingly awful results.

Ultimately, you're right in that the writers are bad and that's the main reason the show's been bad.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

iamsosmrt posted:

My post was not a defense of the modern bad Simpsons (not sure if you took it that way) but just an observation of the situation surrounding the period that most people agree started the shows big downturn.

I think the writers got into the habit of relying on lazy stories and trashy, in-your-face gags during this time and the show was still pretty relevant for the era. The contrast with later bad Simpsons is that the jokes got worse and worse over time and the show's become pretty irrelevant as a result. i'm guess I'm saying I see the beginnings of a really lovely formula and they've more or less aped to increasingly awful results.

Ultimately, you're right in that the writers are bad and that's the main reason the show's been bad.

Oh no, I didn't think you were trying to defend modern Simpsons. I was honestly using your post as a catalyst to complain about something I see lots of people in this and other threads doing: trying to place blame on some trend as to "why" the show is bad. Things like jerkass Homer, lack of satire, Simpsons go to X, overabundance of celebrities, etc. It's easy to point to these trends, and the newer seasons are often worse at these than the golden years, but it always feels like the obvious answer is just "the writers are bad." Even if the current writers never did any jerkass homer, the Simpsons never left Springfield, there were no celebrities in any episodes, etc, the episodes would still be bad simply because the writers can't make it funny.

Dunno why I'm ranting about this, autism I guess idk

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Beyond the terrible writing is simply the fact that after eight seasons you've exhausted every situation and permutation that arises from the initial premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

It must have gone over my little kid head.