Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

Working on some fantasy models for once. Painting ghosts is sure fun and fast!

The first two test models worked out rather well after a few minor tweaks.

Awesome job! How did you do the rusty metal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Professor Shark posted:

Awesome job! How did you do the rusty metal?

Just a bit of Fire Dragon Bright (or your own preferred bright orange color) heavily watered down and applied in thin layers. For best effect, apply it before shading and then do a few more touch up layers afterward.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Froggo done! This fella makes me want to avoid finecast even more, it was pretty gross and I was not gonna attach its banner thing with that tiny little edge of resin.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

R0ckfish posted:

Froggo done! This fella makes me want to avoid finecast even more, it was pretty gross and I was not gonna attach its banner thing with that tiny little edge of resin.

That is a real nice frog. I have a finecast Eisenhorn lying around (had to get a replacement since the first had large craters in the face) and I'm not looking forward to assembling him :v:

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

R0ckfish posted:

Looks awesome!

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Geisladisk posted:

I went with a somewhat unorthodox "reasonable marine" desert scheme. In keeping with that, my bolters are painted to have wood furniture and canvas or leather straps, like mid-20th century assault rifles.

I did them coming from historicals so after years of painting brown and green army guys doing bright pastels just felt off to me.

I'm soliciting advice for adapting this approximate scheme, which is:

quote:

The armor is Army Painter Skeleton Bone, then a wash of Agrax Earthshade, then a coat of Karak Stone, being careful to miss the edges of the panels and recesses to keep them darker.

I'm sketching out a Thousand Sons concept army of animated statues.

I'm sure the above would work as-is, but I think it would be cool to convey an "angry spirit barely contained in ancient armour" vibe by making the panels of the armour appear to glow.

Would skeleton bone base > biel-tan green wash > karak stone layer work, or be completely crap? How would I go about making armour joins glow if so?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Vlex posted:

I'm soliciting advice for adapting this approximate scheme, which is:

I'm sketching out a Thousand Sons concept army of animated statues.

I'm sure the above would work as-is, but I think it would be cool to convey an "angry spirit barely contained in ancient armour" vibe by making the panels of the armour appear to glow.

Would skeleton bone base > biel-tan green wash > karak stone layer work, or be completely crap? How would I go about making armour joins glow if so?

I think washing it with green would just make it look like a mossy statue. You could try painting the glow directly into the joints, using a thinned darker color for the glow around the area, and a lighter, more intense color in the joint itself?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Winklebottom posted:

I think washing it with green would just make it look like a mossy statue. You could try painting the glow directly into the joints, using a thinned darker color for the glow around the area, and a lighter, more intense color in the joint itself?

Interesting, the darker colour outside the crack goes against my instincts, but makes sense if there's an intense green inside the crack. I mean, I guess it wouldn't be dark green outside, more like a vibrant, lush green?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Vlex posted:

Interesting, the darker colour outside the crack goes against my instincts, but makes sense if there's an intense green inside the crack. I mean, I guess it wouldn't be dark green outside, more like a vibrant, lush green?

Yeah, I meant darker as in dark-than-the-lightsource dark. Something like Warpstone Green vs. Moot Green for example.

I did some rudimentary glow on this guy using thinned Warpstone Green around the flame, with Moot Green on sharp edges where the light would catch, such as the pauldron:

On your model it would be sorta like this (only not 2 min in MS paint :v: )

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Winklebottom posted:

That is a real nice frog. I have a finecast Eisenhorn lying around (had to get a replacement since the first had large craters in the face) and I'm not looking forward to assembling him :v:

Good luck with that guy, may the bubbles be kind to you. :v:

NAGA LIU KANG posted:

Looks awesome!

Thanks!

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Winklebottom posted:

Yeah, I meant darker as in dark-than-the-lightsource dark. Something like Warpstone Green vs. Moot Green for example.

I did some rudimentary glow on this guy using thinned Warpstone Green around the flame, with Moot Green on sharp edges where the light would catch, such as the pauldron:

On your model it would be sorta like this (only not 2 min in MS paint :v: )

Makes sense to me, thanks friend!

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

So I think I'm falling off the wagon again and may be resuming Ork production.

It's been years. There's been at least one Citadel paint range revamp I know of, and significant expansions. All my old Foundation paints are 100% rubberised and about 90% of the normal paints in old black-lid hex pots too. Surprisingly most of the washes were fine. Of course all my Vallejo, P3 and random other stuff is fine so it's not a total restart. With the current situation, I'm going to try to stick to GW replacements so I'm not ordering a handful of pots from a scattering of different websites.

How does the consistency of the new paints compare? I assume Base is the same as Foundation (but with annoying omissions from the old range of colours.) Is a Layer paint basically the same as the old regular paint or is it specifically formulated to be useless unless used as described?

My old Ork flesh recipe was based on the previous paint generation's obnoxiously bright Goblin Green which had really solid coverage even on black primer and this is one of two I'm iffy about getting a good equivalent for. I've had a pot of the old VGC equivalent for a long time and it wasn't as good. It looks kind of like Moot Green is closest but is it going to cover well enough?

Annoyingly it looks like all the new Base paints have no replacement for Gretchin Green. I think Ogryn Camo is the closest shade since this was a pretty muted brownish green.

Tl;dr: What're the best GW equivalents to Goblin Green and Gretchin Green that would cover OK on black primer?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Can anyone recommend an airbrush paint brand to replace my vallejo paints with? Inevitably every Vallejo Model Air bottle I get has strings of congealed paint in them that get into my airbrush and clog the whole thing up. I'm sick of it.

I mostly use it to paint terrain so lots of greys and browns.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Wip of a Nurgle guy.

I got this guy purely as a mercenary for Warcry but he's so much fun I might need to do an army of gross fat guys.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Finished up my Thorns of the Briar Queen. These were such a nice break from my other models.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

PierreTheMime posted:

Finished up my Thorns of the Briar Queen. These were such a nice break from my other models.

some fantastic gradient work there.

Also breaking my painting between fantasy and sci-fi can be very refreshing, so I know what you mean.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Mugaaz posted:

Any recommendations on the lighting?

I don't personally own any, but you could always ask Rhyno or Captain Invictus in the Transformers thread in BSS about their setups. Rhyno has an entire room of Detolfs with light kits installed.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Haven't felt like doing much since that tank's stripes, but i decided to bake some cookies

(finished on the left)

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Haven't felt like doing much since that tank's stripes, but i decided to bake some cookies

(finished on the left)

Looks good. Cork and crackle paint?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Winklebottom posted:

Looks good. Cork and crackle paint?

Yep! it's shockingly easy and effective

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yep! it's shockingly easy and effective

Indeed, although I haven't used crackle paint on my cork bases yet. Mostly because my pot of it is starting to run out. No idea how texture paints work on it. Will have to experiment at some point.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

So no 'before' picture, but I think I got a better-than-decent flat, red coat on those carapaces. Thanks The Moon Monster!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

inscrutable horse posted:

So no 'before' picture, but I think I got a better-than-decent flat, red coat on those carapaces. Thanks The Moon Monster!

Man that is a super-clean finish.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Speaking of, how long does it take crackle medium to go bad? I've had a jar open for about a year, though pretty tightly sealed, and it's way less crackly than it originally was. I'm going to feel like a real rear end in a top hat if I used a couple brushloads out of a 120ml jar before it went bad.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

TotalHell posted:

Man that is a super-clean finish.

Thanks! I, uh, might have issues with the whole "good enough" concept :D

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
I haven’t painted properly in years and haven’t ever finished a model. I’m trying to get back into the hobby with Salamanders but I’m having a lot of trouble with layering Warpstone Glow.

Torso and arms of an easy-build aggressor. The torso has about 8 coats of Warpstone Glow over Waagh Flesh, the arms perhaps 5-6. It’s really not covering very well for the time spent.

This leg has about 3-4 coats. I’ve missed a few spots around the toes, but you can see a lot of the darker green still showing through.

I’m very much a novice, I have a friend who’s very talented but I don’t want to pester him too much. I’m told that green is a difficult colour, and I’m trying to thin my paints sensibly. It’s just taking frigging ages. There’s at least 20 hours spent on green above, including the other leg and the head, and I’m mindful I have like 40 assorted space marines who’ll need painting. At this rate I’ll have lost my sight before I’m finished, and I feel like I must be doing something wrong.

Is there anything I’m obviously doing wrong that people can deduce from these photos? Or is this as expected?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Experimented with a new scheme for my Drukhari

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
idk if it’s the weather or what but I was having a hell of a time getting the right consistency for green today :argh:

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

Scandalous posted:

Is there anything I’m obviously doing wrong that people can deduce from these photos? Or is this as expected?

Could you maybe take a short video of laying down a coat? This reminds me of problems that I had starting out, but I can't be certain it's the same thing. In my case, I was thinning my paint well enough, but overloading my brush and applying thick, sloppy coats. Maybe you could also take a pic of how you typically load your brush?

If you were able to put eight coats on that torso and retain detail, it sounds like the paint is thin enough.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

(finished on the left)

++++BAKING COMPLETE++++

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

++++BAKING COMPLETE++++

Noice.

What you gonna attach to those bases?

How are you gonna attach the models to those bases? Super glue? Paper clip pinning?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

++++BAKING COMPLETE++++

Nice! Could I get a half dozen with walnuts, and another half-dozen with icing?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Noice.

What you gonna attach to those bases?

How are you gonna attach the models to those bases? Super glue? Paper clip pinning?

I think my rusty death guard boys are going on there, and I might make some with still running water and green grass for the space marines from the set

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

WT Wally posted:

Could you maybe take a short video of laying down a coat? This reminds me of problems that I had starting out, but I can't be certain it's the same thing. In my case, I was thinning my paint well enough, but overloading my brush and applying thick, sloppy coats. Maybe you could also take a pic of how you typically load your brush?

If you were able to put eight coats on that torso and retain detail, it sounds like the paint is thin enough.
Thanks for your response, I’ll try to take some more photos next chance i get to paint. Likely won’t be til the weekend.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Over the long weekend I did a lot of building & painting but don't have too much to show for it, unfortunately. But here's what I do have to show off!

Built & painted up a devilfish:

And here it is with some fire warriors:

I also mostly completed up this commander:

Not pictured is 9 drones, 3 stealth suits & 3 crisis suits that I got built & panel lined the white armor on.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Painted some things!

All Reaper stuff I'd had on my unpainted/half-painted shelf for a while and which I finally decided to finish.

Muninn
Dec 29, 2008

Zuul the Cat posted:

Over the long weekend I did a lot of building & painting but don't have too much to show for it, unfortunately. But here's what I do have to show off!

Built & painted up a devilfish:

And here it is with some fire warriors:

I also mostly completed up this commander:

How did you achieve your weathering effect? It looks great.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Muninn posted:

Looks like the "hairspray and chipping" method. You do a coat of one color, then give it a varnish with a non-acrylic varnish (enamel or, as the name suggests, hairspray), then paint another layer of paint over that and 'chip' it off with a wet brush or q-tip.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Muninn posted:

Thank you!

Yeah, it's the hairspray chipping method. I primed the model with black then grey. Once that dried I airbrushed certain parts of the model that would get worn out over time with a dark grey color (the nose, the sides, raised points, etc). Then spray those parts with hairspray. Once that dried I painted the entire thing with Corax White from citadel.

To chip it, I just dipped my brush into some lukewarm water & pulled the brush along the hull as if it was moving forward. The water reactivates the hairspray and removes the paint on top.

The final step is to just highlight the chips with white scar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
I've been working on my first real attempt at NMM gold, and would appreciate some critique - not sure if I'm not quite getting it, or if I've just been staring at the drat thing until my eyes go funny.

Only finished the breastplate and front of helm so far, and the left side of his chest is going to be shaded by his left arm when I glue it on so that's deliberately pretty dark.

It feels like I need bigger highlights or brighter mid-tones, but I've been back and forth a lot and can't nail something I'm happy with yet. Any advice from people who've done this more?