Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Vuscav, the sea turtle/kappa monster, wears swim goggles and I love it. Also, you can "dash" while swimming the same way you dash while controlling your party (clicking the left stick on Switch).

It's explicitly stated that the reason Alrant has gotten cold is because of the depletion of Mana power; the True Queen used to be able to keep the surrounding areas warm with her power, but now she can basically only keep the capital itself warm.

E: Update on the previous page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I might be misremembering, but I think it might be possible to revisit that volcano island later. I think I managed to go back there at one point while I was lost, at least; not sure if it was with the turtle thing or a future transportation method, though...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CptWedgie posted:

I might be misremembering, but I think it might be possible to revisit that volcano island later. I think I managed to go back there at one point while I was lost, at least; not sure if it was with the turtle thing or a future transportation method, though...

Nope, neither the future transportation nor Booskaboo will land there. No cactus there either, the lil' guy is only in places reachable at the end of the game.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Nope, neither the future transportation nor Booskaboo will land there. No cactus there either, the lil' guy is only in places reachable at the end of the game.

There is one missable there that I tried to vaguely hint at earlier, but that can always be gotten in a new game+.

One of the friendly tomatomen in Tomatotown gives you a chain ability that allows you to substitute 30% of your mp costs with health.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Oo Koo posted:

There is one missable there that I tried to vaguely hint at earlier, but that can always be gotten in a new game+.

One of the friendly tomatomen in Tomatotown gives you a chain ability that allows you to substitute 30% of your mp costs with health.

Yeah, but no achievement or in-game reward for 100% chain skills.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
As a rule I'm going to be far ahead of the thread most of the time unless I'm held up due to voting requirements, because I love playing this game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That machine golem fight (and a few others) is a lot of fun as Duran because he has a provoke skill making him more likely to be targeted. Just constant dodge-rolls with no chance to get an attack in while the others fight.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

As far as I can tell, the Cookies increase exp payout for the entire party. If there's a way to catch the party member who sits the Gorva battle out, this isn't it. Death no longer deprives party members of exp from fights, either, so the fact that they decided to keep in the fact that the ghost ship permanently deprives a party member of at least a level's worth of exp is an odd one.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Meh. Eventually that exp gap won't matter at all.

Although, one sort-of workaround is to plan ahead and give the Rabite Adornment (if you have it) to the person you plan to have ghosted.

Get 'em to level 10 way earlier than the other two and then even it out with the ship.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

The title of this thread proves more and more apt as you keep steadfastly ignoring the minimap. :allears:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
If Mad Mallards are present, does that mean you'll run into Captain Ducks somewhere too?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I saw someone bring it up in the Youtube comments, but a lot of that last episode is a slideshow. Something gently caress up during encoding?

Also, new to the thread but random ramblings about my playthrough: I ended up playing through this game when it came out with Riesz/Hawkeye/Kevin as a traditional overpowered party. The latter parts of the game felt very easy once I got multitarget stat ups, but after looking into it more and seeing what speedrunners are doing I think Hawkeye might be the most nerfed character in the remake. Hawkeye works acceptably as a caster but Angela is absurdly broken, and in general by far the most powerful character in the late game. Stat downs are far less valuable in the remake because there's skills that lower enemy stats for just hitting them.

I think Angela/Riesz/Kevin might be actually the strongest overall comp now because Kevin with stat ups carries early game fights and Angela breaks the latter part of the game, though Charlotte and Duran having sabers does add a lot of utility.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

The choppiness on episode 19 eluded me because I watched through around 20 minutes of this part with no errors. Very strange.

It looks like it was something to do with the encoding though what exactly is beyond me. The Raw footage is fine and I haven't changed my method in years.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 21, 2020

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Awww he didn't go with the real banner

He thought I was just joking, but this fabulous hat is the true star of the whole game, I tell you

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Hawkeye and Riesz will totally end up together. Riesz is worried about Jessica, not realizing Jessica is actually Hawkeye's aunt.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

The choppiness on episode 19 eluded me because I watched through around 20 minutes of this part with no errors. Very strange.

It looks like it was something to do with the encoding though what exactly is beyond me. The Raw footage is fine and I haven't changed my method in years.

It clears up at exactly the moment you say "I'm just changing one of the settings" at about 04:20 so I presumed it was that

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Well I'm really stupid. I saw some lag on the later footage and assumed that was what was being referred to! Nope, it's just that I was encoding another video whilst recording this session and the load on my CPU was too much until I turn the encoding speed down.

I've edited out the offending segment rather inexpertly. Hopefully you guys didn't find it too offputting.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 22, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 21

Art will be up shortly!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Pretty sure the reason the villains aim for people important to the protagonists for that spell is because using criminals wouldn't be EEEEVIL enough. I mean, the villains are all extremely sadistic, so it's pretty in-character for them to choose their sacrifices based on who would inflict the most suffering on everyone around them.

Seriously, Goremand, of all people, is probably the most pragmatic about that sort of thing (since he's willing to use random bystanders instead of hunting down your friends), and even he's clearly enjoying being an irredeemable villain. Everyone else... well, they go out of their way to be as evil as possible like it's some kind of villainy contest, and I wouldn't be surprised if they deliberately wait near the Mana Stones for you to arrive just so they can taunt you with the "you're moments too late" thing. Probably comes with the fact that this is a remake of an SNES game...

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I kind of had the experience you're having with Riesz's class strikes with Duran's; once I got his tier 2 CS, I pretty much stopped using his tier 1, but I found his tier 3 in the class I picked for him much more situational, most useful on large, stationary bosses with multiple parts to hit.

The "escape from battles faster" benefit from the Lil' Cactus stamp book is kind of a trap, but not for the reason you mentioned in your video; I found it pretty easy after getting it to unintentionally run from battles I wanted to fight.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Re: why Mintas was left alone--it's already Ferolian territory. With the human-hating part of the beastmen away on the front-lines, the more tolerant beastmen can live in harmony with their neighbors. (Though I forget how many of those in Mintas are actually humans, and how many untransformed beastmen)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I continue to get more and more mad as you put points in anything but INT for Hawkeye. Leveling Stamina before Intelligence!

The "Lost Woods" mechanic was used in the original as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dotchan posted:

Re: why Mintas was left alone--it's already Ferolian territory. With the human-hating part of the beastmen away on the front-lines, the more tolerant beastmen can live in harmony with their neighbors. (Though I forget how many of those in Mintas are actually humans, and how many untransformed beastmen)

I think all of them are untransformed Beastmen. As they remark on the party for being humans.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

It was interesting how much the real time choreographed attacks made some fights way easier/harder. Ludgar was actually really hard in SD3 and he's really not in this game, while any kind of boss fight with multiple totally independent bosses tends to be a massive clusterfuck in this game (both golem fights especially). I think this gets especially prominent later on, but any boss that just stops attacking you to make you whack some things while they charge up a big spell also gets a lot easier than if they just cast the spell without any counterplay like in the original.

On a totally not gameplay note: it's 2020 and replaying this game sort of made me do a double take when I realized almost every character is royalty. I guess part of it is that it's easier to actually think about the story when it's voice acted and the game is in 3d, but it is kind of hosed up how much fantasy as a whole pushes the whole monarchy as a society thing. It's especially bad here, since at least with most fantasy stories merely some of the main characters are princes or princesses, but here Duran, Angela, Riesz, and Kevin are all children of monarchs, Charlotte is the granddaughter of the pope, and Hawkeye isn't royalty but he's best friends with the prince and romantically interested in the princess.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ultima66 posted:

On a totally not gameplay note: it's 2020 and replaying this game sort of made me do a double take when I realized almost every character is royalty. I guess part of it is that it's easier to actually think about the story when it's voice acted and the game is in 3d, but it is kind of hosed up how much fantasy as a whole pushes the whole monarchy as a society thing. It's especially bad here, since at least with most fantasy stories merely some of the main characters are princes or princesses, but here Duran, Angela, Riesz, and Kevin are all children of monarchs, Charlotte is the granddaughter of the pope, and Hawkeye isn't royalty but he's best friends with the prince and romantically interested in the princess.
Duran isn't royalty though? He's not related to King Richard, his father's Loki, the Golden Knight. Depending upon how Valsena's monarchy and knighthood works, he might still be nobility though.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Well guys we're finally approaching it! The second class change.

Riesz

Light Light – Vanadis

Riesz’s Light-Light class change is the Vanadis. If this game follows the original then the Vanadis will be a physical powerhouse of a character, with limited buff powers but very powerful damage and techs. Her summon is Freya, which toads all the enemies caught in its blast, rendering them harmless, but in the original, worth less experience.

Light Dark - Star Lancer

Riesz's Light-Dark class change is the Star Lancer. The Star Lancer is renowned as the supreme mistress of buffs, being able to quickly apply power ups to herself and her allies. She has the powerful summon Marduk which can silence enemies, making her a strong choice against enemies with nasty abilities you want to shut down.

Star Lancer and Vanadis primarily differ around their buffs and physical attacks, with Vanadis being the class you want for a Riesz on point and Star Lancer for a support style Riesz.

Hawkeye

Dark Light – Ninja Master

Hawkeye’s Dark Light class change is the Ninja Master. The Ninja master focuses on Hawkeye's elemental diversions allowing him to target multiple enemies with Diversions. This is relatively powerful as it allows Hawkeye to clear trash enemies quickly and efficiently by dropping their defense and magical defense and letting his allies clean up. He'll also be as strong on bosses with adds or other enemies that get in the way going forward. That said, if we go this route, Hawkeye might well need a respec as I've neglected his casting abilities so far.

Dark Dark – Nightblade

Hawkeye’s Dark Dark class change in the Nightblade. In the original the Nightblade was Hawkeye's all out physical attacking class, with superlative strength and possibly the coolest class strike in the entire game. Additionally the Nightblade carried some of the most unique and devastating spells in the game, able to lower all enemy defenses and reduce the maximum HP of even boss level enemies, generating a huge long term advantage in boss fights.

With all that being noted, it is incredibly unclear to me how Nightblade will play out in this version of the game with Hawkeye's ninja class being much more magically inclined than the previous iteration.

If there is a major difference between Nightblade and Ninja master it is that the Ninja master is more strongly focused on damaging normal enemies whilst the Nightblade is more strongly focused on ending boss careers.

Angela

Dark Light – Rune Master

Angela’s Dark Light class is the Rune Master. The Rune Master is the only class in the game to gain level 3 spells. These are exceptionally powerful single target spells that carry a status effect. Angela can petrify enemies, freeze them or turn them into harmless things that don't deal damage. She lacks in multi-target capability in this class, but still has her plethora of level 1 spells learnt in her previous class to take advantage of, in particular Dark Force.

Dark Dark - Magus

Angela's Dark Dark class is the Magus. The Magus is the strongest magic user in the game from a magical power perspective. She gains some extra power on her level 2 spells, like explosion and in particular is able to upgrade Dark Force, which you've seen used to incredible effect. She additionally gets access to Ancient, the single most powerful spell in the game.

Rune Master differs to Magus in that it's more strongly focused on battlefield control. Magus is about annihilating foes with as much magic as possible.

The strawpoll is open until Friday here: https://www.strawpoll.me/20176363

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
There'll be a Second vote in the next few days about the Benevedons! I'll probably put it up tomorrow so as not to muddy the class discussion too much.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Ultima66 posted:

It was interesting how much the real time choreographed attacks made some fights way easier/harder. Ludgar was actually really hard in SD3 and he's really not in this game, while any kind of boss fight with multiple totally independent bosses tends to be a massive clusterfuck in this game (both golem fights especially). I think this gets especially prominent later on, but any boss that just stops attacking you to make you whack some things while they charge up a big spell also gets a lot easier than if they just cast the spell without any counterplay like in the original.

Hawkeye would be Royal if Flamekhan were actually a king.

Hawkeye is the grandson of Flamekhan. His mother, Falcon, was Flamekhan's daughter by his first wife. Jessica and Eagle are Flamekhan's children via his second wife. So Jessica is actually Hawkeye's aunt.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

akkristor posted:

Hawkeye would be Royal if Flamekhan were actually a king.

Hawkeye is the grandson of Flamekhan. His mother, Falcon, was Flamekhan's daughter by his first wife. Jessica and Eagle are Flamekhan's children via his second wife. So Jessica is actually Hawkeye's aunt.

I thought this was only quasi canonical. And is for sure not mentioned in this game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The whole "elves and humans marrying shortens both lifespans" thing this game pulls is really dumb, IMO. It's almost dumber with the actual "elf uses magic to become human" explanation than the "fantasy STDs" hypothesis you were positing in the video. Why is that a requirement for elf/human intermarriage? Can't you just... not? Yeah, the elf outlives their human partner, but surely having a few decades together is better than having a few years together?

IIRC, "Angela dumps magic on everything" was how the SD3 Hardtype LP largely went, too.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Commander Keene posted:

The whole "elves and humans marrying shortens both lifespans" thing this game pulls is really dumb, IMO. It's almost dumber with the actual "elf uses magic to become human" explanation than the "fantasy STDs" hypothesis you were positing in the video. Why is that a requirement for elf/human intermarriage? Can't you just... not? Yeah, the elf outlives their human partner, but surely having a few decades together is better than having a few years together?

Blame Tolkein.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's better than Radiata Stories where if an elf and a human get together an incurable disease that makes people go crazy before sealing them in cocoons forever is unleashed

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It's better than Radiata Stories where if an elf and a human get together an incurable disease that makes people go crazy before sealing them in cocoons forever is unleashed
I was trying to remember what game it was that had the plot of "an elf and a human fell in love, now the world's gonna end".

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Commander Keene posted:

I was trying to remember what game it was that had the plot of "an elf and a human fell in love, now the world's gonna end".

That's the one. I love Radiata Stories but the story isn't really it's strong point.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I always get Radiata Stories and Radiant Historia mixed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Well, picked up my own copy of ToM Remake last night; haven't had a chance to start it up, though, since I was just about to pass out. Anyway, planning to go with Duran and Angela, though I'm not 100% sure of the third one. My first thought was Kevin for Sabers, until I checked and it turned out that Kevin doesn't learn any that Duran can't. Doesn't mean I won't use him, though, just that my first reason to pick him is invalid.

Advice? Thoughts on class change paths?