Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

wizzardstaff posted:

The real question is why people bother standing up to pee at toilets designed for sitting.
I'm not sitting on a public toilet unless I have to.

its all nice on rice posted:

You can install more urinals in a smaller space than standard toilets, and they (probably) use less water.
I'm not sure how widespread they, are but here in the constantly-in-a-drought-and-on-fire American West a lot of places have completely waterless urinals now. They have some kind of blue liquid in a canister in the drain at the bottom that is apparently lighter than pee so the pee flows under it is safely isolated in the pipes so there's no gross smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Question Mark Mound posted:

Toilets should all be single unisex stalls. Space saving be damned, I wanna pee in privacy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Knormal posted:

I'm not sitting on a public toilet unless I have to.

I'm not sure how widespread they, are but here in the constantly-in-a-drought-and-on-fire American West a lot of places have completely waterless urinals now. They have some kind of blue liquid in a canister in the drain at the bottom that is apparently lighter than pee so the pee flows under it is safely isolated in the pipes so there's no gross smell.

The bar I used to go to in western MA has had those for like a decade and they're surprisingly not gross, I wish more places would use them.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I love public restrooms especially when you go into a stall ten seconds after a really fat dude and it still smells and you can see his rear end sweat circling the seat and it’s really warm when you sit down.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

are you loving crazy dont sit on a public toilet :stonk:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

I just use stalls because I have bad aim and am kind of shy, so a urinal takes a while for me.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

boar guy posted:

this is the person pissing all over the seat

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

That public toilet seat is definitely cleaner than any door handles you used to go to the bathroom

Andrast has a new favorite as of 20:10 on May 26, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The way I see it, my butt's all that generally touches the seat, I tend to wipe it first if it's wet, and I don't eat off my butt, it stays ensconced in my trousers. So I don't worry about it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BioEnchanted posted:

and I don't eat off my butt

Everybody get a loada rich Lord Fauntleroy over here.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1265352406633787392

Southpaw isn't the idiot.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Klob is one of the VP candidates

Lol

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Can't believe these African American men keep dying in completely undefinable circumstances. We must protect their feelings of safety.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
i know posting glinner is just checking off the free bingo space but

https://twitter.com/Glinner/status/1265369142418382851

Idiots on Social Media: Hi can you report this 12 year old please?

Grobbit
Jan 20, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Is everyone just gonna leave this one hanging?

More like OldSaintLess

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Andrast posted:

That public toilet seat is definitely cleaner than any door handles you used to go to the bathroom

Or your phone which you probably haven't disinfected in 6 months, if ever.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And to think this planet was peopled by the B Ark, how far we've fallen.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

i know posting glinner is just checking off the free bingo space but

https://twitter.com/Glinner/status/1265369142418382851

Idiots on Social Media: Hi can you report this 12 year old please?

The location on this account is amazing.

“Not with my wife”

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
E: i can't read

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

SiKboy posted:

This has come up before (unsurprisingly), and I might get a detail or two wrong, but;

Off the top of my head, theres one episode of the IT crowd where the boss gets into a relationship with a woman who is perfect for him, when he discovers she's trans he gets into a fistfight with her (played for slapstick). When I saw the episode originally I thought the joke was supposed to be "The boss is such a toxic macho idiot that he throws away his perfect relationship", but apparently Glinner intended the joke to be "He punches a woman and its funny because shes trans. Also lol he slept with a transwoman". He was called out on it (in, IIRC fairly mild "Uh, I dont think you've thought through the implications of what you wrote here Graham" terms), and essentially made a deliberate decision to become Transphobic As gently caress. Like theres an interview somewhere where he basically says "I put a trans character in my show and didnt get a pat on the head! Well, if I'm going to be called transphobic I'll show them, I'll show them all!!!!!".

Seriously, something broke in his brain, but it doesnt go back to losing a testicle, it goes back to him not liking the reception of one episode of the IT crowd. He just didnt go ball out with it until after abortion was legalised in Ireland (which up til then had been his main cause). Obviously I stand to be corrected, but thats what I always heard was the start of the dive.
That's exactly how I read the entire episode too and I am extremely relieved to know that I am not the only one who did.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hell, the very last scene of the episode is the boss crying alone in his bed completely regretting everything and missing April dearly, implying that even though she's trans he still loved her. Also the biggest red flag during the episode is the line "I used to be a man". No April, you used to have a penis. Graham just doesn't know the difference.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I think it’s telling that most tweets by Graham end up here.

He’s literally jettisoned his career, his wider family and his wife, all because he’s got really Into The Internet in a way that maybe most of us did when we were fifteen, we weren’t people with proper careers, and the public couldn’t see everything we wrote about.

Literally the biggest idiot on social media I can think of in terms of what’s he’s gained and what he’s lost.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

boar guy posted:

That's not how you get chlamydia, friend. I'm sorry your partner lied to you.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Didn’t he explain in one of his villain monologue interviews that he made the character trans because he couldn’t have a man hit a woman on the show, but if the character was a transwoman then it doesn’t count? Because he’s absolute scum.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just want to know if anyone told him that or if he just assumed it, like did Standard and Practices actually tell him that it would be OK if she were trans, or did he just barrel ahead with his own conclusions?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Internet Wizard posted:

Didn’t he explain in one of his villain monologue interviews that he made the character trans because he couldn’t have a man hit a woman on the show, but if the character was a transwoman then it doesn’t count? Because he’s absolute scum.

It wouldn’t be funny but yeah that’s the idea

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

SiKboy posted:

Off the top of my head, theres one episode of the IT crowd where the boss gets into a relationship with a woman who is perfect for him, when he discovers she's trans he gets into a fistfight with her (played for slapstick). When I saw the episode originally I thought the joke was supposed to be "The boss is such a toxic macho idiot that he throws away his perfect relationship", but apparently Glinner intended the joke to be "He punches a woman and its funny because shes trans. Also lol he slept with a transwoman". He was called out on it (in, IIRC fairly mild "Uh, I dont think you've thought through the implications of what you wrote here Graham" terms), and essentially made a deliberate decision to become Transphobic As gently caress.

trickybiscuits posted:

That's exactly how I read the entire episode too and I am extremely relieved to know that I am not the only one who did.

See, I watched it when it came out and I read the 'joke' was "He punches a woman and its funny because shes trans. Also lol he slept with a transwoman", because all of the 'jokes'/actions were structured that way and it seemed pretty obvious to me that was the whole point of the girlfriend character.

I also remember having a distinct 'hang on, this isn't right: a woman is being punched in the face' moment - not because I am super-woke, but because even back then - without the benefit of others highlighting the problem, it just seemed so obviously wrong.

A later episode has Roy being sexually-assaulted and mocked for it and it only confirmed the previous conclusion.

And I think Linehan is now nuts in a 'mental health' way - he's not just doubling-down on a lovely opinion, he's legit wrong in the head.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

trickybiscuits posted:

Every sane (and most of us brokebrains) person - including, as far as I know, Matt Berry - reads the episode that way. His dream woman and he throws it all away through comic mishaps.

Naturally, everyone sane necessarily excludes Glinner.

Edit: man tha is some timing in the this post and the one above

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Loomer posted:

Every sane (and most of us brokebrains) person - including, as far as I know, Matt Berry - reads the episode that way. His dream woman and he throws it all away through comic mishaps.

Naturally, everyone sane necessarily excludes Glinner.

Edit: man tha is some timing in the this post and the one above

There's a whole extended and pretty graphic fight scene that only works as humour if you think his girlfriend is just a man in a wig.

If you think of her as a woman, it's not only distinctly uncomfortable to watch, it has no basic comedic element to it. It's a man punching a woman in the face - where's the comedy in that?

E: it was a fundamentally-flawed episode at the time and it has only gotten worse with time.

Moo the cow has a new favorite as of 23:15 on May 26, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Moo the cow posted:

There's a whole extended and pretty graphic fight scene that only works as humour if you think his girlfriend is just a man in a wig.

If you think of her as a woman, it's not only distinctly uncomfortable to watch, it has no basic comedic element to it. It's a man punching a woman in the face - where's the comedy in that?

E: it was a fundamentally-flawed episode at the time and it has only gotten worse with time.

It's been a long time since I saw the episode, but I thought the joke was around her being a better fighter than him. Cause men are good at fighting, see. Still transphobic, just a bit more slapstick.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Moo the cow posted:

I just read it at the time as it being so absurdly over the top that there was no discomfort on that front. Like it was so far it looped around into surrealism.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I'm going to sit on all the toilet seats. And no, that's not a typo.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Tenebrais posted:

It's been a long time since I saw the episode, but I thought the joke was around her being a better fighter than him. Cause men are good at fighting, see. Still transphobic, just a bit more slapstick.

Loomer posted:

I just read it at the time as it being so absurdly over the top that there was no discomfort on that front. Like it was so far it looped around into surrealism.

I thought something similar- the whole fight scene was so over-the-top that I thought it was some kind of parody, particularly the part where she's sobbing and upset and then instead of slapping him she just punches him in the face. And Matt Berry certainly played it that way.

It's not like nobody has ever done a funny scene of a woman getting beat up before. There's the long line of people waiting to slap the hysterical woman in Airplane!.

eta: Also a scene in the little-known (for good reason) movie Morons from Outer Space, where a man slaps a woman who's in hysterics, and she calms down immediately, punches him out, and promptly starts screaming again. Not sure why I thought of that.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Loomer posted:

Same. I'm also on the interpretative side of "the joke is he throws away his perfect relationship through his own stupidity, and as a bonus she kicks his rear end in rare comeuppance he is long overdue for". gently caress Graham, I'll interpret how I want.

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION
Holy lmao I just went to look up the episode cos I thought it was the same episode as the one with The Internet (it's not, but it does feature The Internet in it) and this was on the IMDB trivia page

quote:

When Douglas is being interviewed by April, he starts listing film titles that he thinks describes himself, and The Bourne Identity (2002) is among them. The fight that he and April get into later in the episode was referred to by producer 'Graham Linehan' as "The Bourne Identity Fight," as he wanted it to be made in the same style as the fight scenes from the Bourne films.

Been a while since I saw those movies but I'm not sure I recall any flat shots of trans women being punched through drywall while a laugh track plays

trickybiscuits posted:

I thought something similar- the whole fight scene was so over-the-top that I thought it was some kind of parody, particularly the part where she's sobbing and upset and then instead of slapping him she just punches him in the face. And Matt Berry certainly played it that way.

It also doesn't help that Matt Berry's character was probably the most absurd, insane weirdo on the show, so when he starts wailing on a woman there's a bit of like... expectation going into it that the character will do incredibly stupid, horrible things. Kinda like an Always Sunny character, except the writer is a giant shithead, instead of a decent person writing giant shitheads.

Put me in the camp of not realizing how hosed it actually was until a rewatch. I saw it when it came out, when I was about 16-17, and thought barely anything of it, but rewatching it at like 23, after starting HRT, it was loving stunning how messed up and uncomfortable the whole thing was.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

For the first time, Twitter has flagged one of Trump's tweets for misinformation.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

It’s a weird comparison maybe - but GLs behavior reminds me of that guy 15 years ago who decided to make it his life’s goal to ruin a dry cleaning business after they lost his pants. He went so far with it he ended up ruining his own life, it’s a fascinating story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearson_v._Chung

There seems to be this condition some people get where some small, random perceived offense against them causes them to snap to a point where they can’t think about anything else.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dreamin of semen posted:

Holy lmao I just went to look up the episode cos I thought it was the same episode as the one with The Internet (it's not, but it does feature The Internet in it) and this was on the IMDB trivia page

Been a while since I saw those movies but I'm not sure I recall any flat shots of trans women being punched through drywall while a laugh track plays

It also doesn't help that Matt Berry's character was probably the most absurd, insane weirdo on the show, so when he starts wailing on a woman there's a bit of like... expectation going into it that the character will do incredibly stupid, horrible things. Kinda like an Always Sunny character, except the writer is a giant shithead, instead of a decent person writing giant shitheads.

Put me in the camp of not realizing how hosed it actually was until a rewatch. I saw it when it came out, when I was about 16-17, and thought barely anything of it, but rewatching it at like 23, after starting HRT, it was loving stunning how messed up and uncomfortable the whole thing was.

It IS the one where Jen takes The Internet to a presentation and breaks it, the horror of which is only interrupted by Matt Berry punching April through the wall and into Jen's presentation. Which is honestly a lot of the reason why it SUCKS; the b-plot is so good, but you can't even separate it from that horrible transmisogynistic a-plot because they share a climax!

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I do want to clarify that I’m not saying it isn’t transphobic, just that the read at the time for me was of it all as a joke on Matt Berry’s character being a bigoted lunatic who ruined his literal perfect relationship by being an absurdly over the top dickhead. It’s definitely transphobic stuff, especially with Glinner involved, but because of the style of humour that element slipped under the radar and got mixed into the humour of the Reynolds character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

dreamin of semen posted:

Speaking of Always Sunny, even though it’s still kind of an uncomfortable episode and one the cast said they probably wouldn’t make if they could do it all again, it did this same joke a lot better imo.