Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm imagining what it must be like to have a garage big enough to actually work on things.

e: Lamest snipe. My pennance:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Martytoof posted:

I'm imagining what it must be like to have a garage big enough to actually work on things

I've only had one for the last couple of years.
Not going to lie: it's absolutely fantastic.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Revvik posted:

Ok well I started off this three day weekend with the single goal of taking the purple GL1100 out around the block. In order to do that safely, it needed:

* tires, which are in my living room
* brakes, including complete caliper rebuilds
* rear suspension to not be bottomed out

I spent all day Saturday not doing any of this poo poo, I helped my mom build a gazebo in her back yard. It looks magnificent.

I did not get to a tire shop at all, so there’s still $140 worth of rubber decorating my duplex. The front alone on my SMT cost more than that. I read complaints about parts prices in these threads now and chuckle.

All three calipers needed rebuilding. I bought a gaudy loving gold paint kit for the calipers with the
money I saved by not buying a not-piece-of-poo poo. The rear piston is hopelessly stuck. Whatever. Got the two front ones sorted, and took the lid off of the master cylinder.

Three bolts broke off in the cylinder. The piston is rusted into the casing. gently caress. Well I could fix it with a rebuild kit, I could tear down the GL1000 for its MC, or I could order one for ...$20.

Ok, no tires and no brakes. Shocks? Well, I guess soaking the assembly and air valves with PB Blaster on and off for a few weeks helped, as did using the real air compressor that’s worth more than the bike to fill the shocks, instead of using the battery powered portable one I keep in my glove box. Shocks are holding.

I’m 1 for 3 and I realize that all three calipers are the exact same single-pot Nissins. Pull a front, throw it on the rear. Rear master cylinder? Works. Bleed it.

1.5/3.

gently caress it, air up the rotted rear tire, call my family and tell them I love them (well, text), strap on every piece of gear I own and go.

IT LIVES I just had it around the neighborhood but it loving lives and I lived it’s almost there it’s so close

Hell yes! This is awesome. That first ride around the block to confirm the thing is actually functional is a great feeling.

Related, I spent the weekend hunting for Goldwing oil filters only to come up empty handed at all of the local usual car parts places. I managed to get an SV filter because it’s also used on some generation of Miata and other fords so it’s pretty common.

My plan was to get the filter, some oil, change it and go for a ride on Monday.

I wound up having to order the filter off Amazon, with a delivery date of Monday. No biggie. I’ll get it delivered, change the oil and ride.

Well of course Bezos is loving us again because my delivery date got changed to Tuesday since the USPS was closed. Amazon delivery items still delivered though :mad:

So, gently caress it, we’re riding on old oil.

I’m riding dirty since I keep forgetting to re-up my registration. Notchy shifting from old oil aside this thing is like riding a la-z-boy and it positively eats miles. Outside of needing to stop to pee I can see going through an entire tank comfortably without stopping if you were on the freeway.

It was about 90 degrees here in WI yesterday so it was a fairing vents open, side guards open, feet on the highway pegs kinda ride.

It won’t move through the twisties like the SV, obviously, and requires much more planning and management to do so, but it’s so smooooooth while it does it, I just can’t fault it for its handling

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nadmonk posted:

Finally was able to get to my girlfriend's '72 CB750 that winters at her dad's barn. The battery was pretty clearly done for last year so we dropped a new one in.
Starts just fine now.

Also doing some repairs on the fairings of the '94 Kawasaki Ninja.
That Regular Car Reviews episode on the 90's Ninja where he talks about how it's a great starter bike and they've all been laid down at some point and the fairings will be broken and cracked and the turn signals replaced with flush mount and they'll be carbon fiber and the brake levers too?
Every single bit of that is 100% accurate for mine when I got it.
I've been slowly patching the cracks. Nothing show ready. Just returning some integrity to them.
Waiting on a new fuel filter and air filter also, then good as new (kinda).

Also waiting on new spark plugs for the '78 GS750.

But at least the gang is back together:

More of that cb please, it looks pretty mint!

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Slavvy posted:

More of that cb please, it looks pretty mint!

It's in great shape. I'm not sure if any restoration had been done on it, but it is a beautiful bike.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

that's gorgeous

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

nadmonk posted:

It's in great shape. I'm not sure if any restoration had been done on it, but it is a beautiful bike.

A classic, good looking bike.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

nadmonk posted:

Finally was able to get to my girlfriend's '72 CB750 that winters at her dad's barn. The battery was pretty clearly done for last year so we dropped a new one in.
Starts just fine now.

Also doing some repairs on the fairings of the '94 Kawasaki Ninja.
That Regular Car Reviews episode on the 90's Ninja where he talks about how it's a great starter bike and they've all been laid down at some point and the fairings will be broken and cracked and the turn signals replaced with flush mount and they'll be carbon fiber and the brake levers too?
Every single bit of that is 100% accurate for mine when I got it.
I've been slowly patching the cracks. Nothing show ready. Just returning some integrity to them.
Waiting on a new fuel filter and air filter also, then good as new (kinda).

Also waiting on new spark plugs for the '78 GS750.

But at least the gang is back together:

That K2 is loving BEAUTIFUL.
If you ever need parts, let me know. I would be all too happy to oblige.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Cafe conversion joke goes here.

I too am jealous and lustful.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Wow that looks really nice.

Early 70s cb750s have been one of my favorite bikes for as long as I can remember. I'll own one some day. Not sure when but someday.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Verman posted:

Wow that looks really nice.

Early 70s cb750s have been one of my favorite bikes for as long as I can remember. I'll own one some day. Not sure when but someday.

There's no time like the present!
I've had like a dozen and never regretted a single one.

70's Honda thumpers are also pretty fun too though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nadmonk posted:

loving hell that's tidy.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

That's beautiful, wouldn't change a thing on it. My only ownership experience with 70's bikes is my old CB360 which was a harsh and buzzy little thing. Some day I'll have a CB350/4 or CB400/4.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That K2 is loving BEAUTIFUL.
If you ever need parts, let me know. I would be all too happy to oblige.

Thanks, I'll have to keep that in mind :)

Gorson posted:

That's beautiful, wouldn't change a thing on it. My only ownership experience with 70's bikes is my old CB360 which was a harsh and buzzy little thing. Some day I'll have a CB350/4 or CB400/4.

I've only been on it a couple of times myself, but a great motorcycle. Definitely not harsh or buzzy.

Definitely no plans to cafe racer-fy it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s wild how Honda absolutely nailed factory exhaust design with the CB750 and then no one since (Honda included)has matched it

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Got jealous of someone's go-faster radiator hoses so fitted some of my own

(Also they were original so around 20y-o, time to go. Pretty crusty on the inside.)

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Motor come out.

Easier to lift the frame off the motor, making it a one man job. I also swapped in a rebuilt F3 front end.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gorson posted:

My CB400F was hella fun and I never even got to finish it. I sold it to another forums member who gave it a better home.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

New tires on the Z125 - Michelin Boppers (best name ever)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Lmao fantastic, hadn't heard of these before.

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef

Good looking 125 there. Makes me want one for day to day stuff around town.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait, not trying to be a gently caress but are both of those mounted the right way around? Seems like the front tire is backwards, I've never seen tyres where the front and rear tread both go the same way. It looks like the sipes on the front in their current orientation would channel water toward the contact patch instead of away?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Slavvy posted:

Wait, not trying to be a gently caress but are both of those mounted the right way around? Seems like the front tire is backwards, I've never seen tyres where the front and rear tread both go the same way. It looks like the sipes on the front in their current orientation would channel water toward the contact patch instead of away?

According to the rotation arrows they’re both right...

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lol I mounted my shinkos backwards the first time due to just looking at the tread pattern. like fully mounted them to the bike too and then I saw the rotation arrows 😤

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

right arm posted:

lol I mounted my shinkos backwards the first time due to just looking at the tread pattern. like fully mounted them to the bike too and then I saw the rotation arrows 😤

haha I've done it before too and just been like, "well gently caress."
Never let it leave the shop that way though, but the number of people that came in with tires mounted wrong always astounded me. If they were cool and I had to remove their wheel (or even just the chain) I'd fix it for them for free.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Interesting. I'm really having a hard time figuring out how that front tire is supposed to work. If you look at basically any other modern tyre, the front tread pattern is a reversal of the rear.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So it’s been forever since my bike was finished but there was more work done to it. Spoke rear wheel, third set of bars and grips, solenoid replacements and finally a new air cleaner to make it thinner with a better profile.

She is getting shipped up to me in the Midwest next week just in time for riding season.

Oh I also had some custom bags built for it so that’s nice. The craftsman did a great job.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 29, 2020

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

do a fly and ride

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

GriszledMelkaba posted:

do a fly and ride

I’m not flying anywhere right now.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Maybe double check; some tyres (especially in 125 sizes) can serve double duty as both front and rear, and there will be two arrows pointing opposite directions labelled front and rear.

Slavvy posted:

Interesting. I'm really having a hard time figuring out how that front tire is supposed to work. If you look at basically any other modern tyre, the front tread pattern is a reversal of the rear.

I guess if it never sees water, rubber is rubber?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I worked on my fz6n the last couple of days. Changed tires to Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3 tires, and changed chain and sprockets.
First impressions of the rossos is that they are softer/absorbs uneven patches on the road than my angel gt 2 tires, at the same tire pressure. Ofc they are easier to turn than the old worn ones, but maybe better turn in speed also. I like them.
Will be interesting to see how they handle the rain, mileage and how they handle the odd bit of gravel road I end up hitting with my streetbike.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 29, 2020

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Renaissance Robot posted:

Maybe double check; some tyres (especially in 125 sizes) can serve double duty as both front and rear, and there will be two arrows pointing opposite directions labelled front and rear.

I guess if it never sees water, rubber is rubber?

Trust me, I double checked. I checked close enough when I got home (my wife picked it up at the shop) to realize that the front and rear are swapped size-wise but the rotation is correct on both. I’m not sure I’m going to actually do anything about the size swap since they are only 10mm different nominally and there is no compound or pattern difference.

They’re basically a square setup right now, and the handling feels very good. Turn-in is very nice and the lean angle seems to be improved over the factory rubber. The front end is much more confidence-inspiring due to the wider rubber as well. Rear grip is improved and more predictable. Overall I’m happy. I might call the shop and let them know about the goof but then again I might not.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So it’s been forever since my bike was finished but there was more work done to it. Spoke rear wheel, third set of bars and grips, solenoid replacements and finally a new air cleaner to make it thinner with a better profile.

She is getting shipped up to me in the Midwest next week just in time for riding season.

Oh I also had some custom bags built for it so that’s nice. The craftsman did a great job.

*in kiryu voice* that's rad!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Took the KLX out for its maiden off-road voyage with my son and his RT100 as company. Performed pretty well for a small dual sport. Took some higher speed trails with some whoops and some tight muddy stuff as well. Loads of fun even though we only got to go out for an hour or so after I was done with work.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah: good dad :hellyeah:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
That's awesome. Congrats!

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

I broke the diff. People telling me to weld a nut onto the broken stud and take it out and replace it, but a dude an hour north of me has a replacement diff from a 1980 for $20, so 🤷🏼‍♂️

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Ok that purple goldwing is incredible without wheels, it looks even more like a space ship

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Started the 450SX for the first time since re-doing the clutch slave and bleeding the system. This dumb thing sounds ridiculous and pulls so hard. I can barely get it out of first gear in the yard before I have to slow down. The Brembos are so powerful that the tires will dig ruts in the yard if you clamp them down hard.

https://youtu.be/h-dK-ctg5eQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Revvik posted:

I broke the diff. People telling me to weld a nut onto the broken stud and take it out and replace it, but a dude an hour north of me has a replacement diff from a 1980 for $20, so 🤷🏼‍♂️

Still do it and keep it as a spare in case you need one in half a century or so.