Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Last King posted:

this is insane...

already sold out of all these limited ships according to reddit.

They never really were for sale, or maybe they were bought up by money laundering bots in Russia. Either way, I'm sure you can email customer service and they'll be able to find one in the back if you ask them to sell you a thousand dollar ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Drat, I'll never get into the Chairman's Club now.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
The illusion of scarcity, I never thought I'd see it displayed so blatantly

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
How's that Squadron 42 update video coming?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
r/StarCitizenUniverse: ...time to bring the haters to the light
r/Starcitizen_guilds: ...time to bring them haters to the light

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

DOMDOM posted:

How's that Squadron 42 update video coming?

Still in the refactoring stage. Pipelines and whatnot.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

It's clear you've never used a game level editor, or even seen one being used and understood what was happening.

If you watch the Squadron 42 vertical slice with directors commentary around about the time that our character is breaking into the slaver compound through the grating you'll hear Chris say that Steve Bender had done so much mocap that they had exceeded the maximum number of unique animations that could be loaded into the Lumberyard editor. 35,000 unique animations before they made the vertical slice. CIG had to modify the Lumberyard editor to take more - no biggie. That was in 2017, they have made a lot more since. For comparison the number of NPC animations that comes with the Skyrim Creation Kit level editor is around 250 unique animations, and those NPC's have far fewer bones to animate - believe it or not there more bones in the face of a Star Citizen NPC than in the whole body of most games NPC's. If something on a 3D model moves, even a little, it needs a bone to apply an animation to. A bone is not the same thing that you have in your body, think of it more like a puppet control stick, you move the stick, the puppets hand moves. You move another stick, the eyelid moves.

In a single player game this is relatively simple, you have a certain number of NPC's around you, they have scripts running on a CPU thread that tells the bones, and the model geometry on another thread where to move, that CPU thread communicates to the GPU which puts pixels on the screen. You see the character move.

When they first opened TEASA spaceport there were dozens of NPC's running around. There were less to be seen at Port Olisar and GrimHex than usual because there is a maximum that can be loaded onto a server. The more area, the thinner the number NPC's on the ground. It's not rocket science. Every entity in the game has to be loaded onto the server, anything that can move has to report it's state to the change state controller on the server. You swivel your head, the state of the game universe changes. Another player swings their leg, the state changes. 50 players each fully animated that's thousands of change states to record for the dozens of bones in those characters, but wait, there's more. Because each change state has to be sent to every connected client, because you have to know if that player in front of you is dancing or raising a weapon, now all that data is sent to you, and your client state is reported back to the server, which adds that data to the universe state and sends the next batch out again to everyone.

The changes that occur in every single entity have to be synchronised with the connected clients, some clients have a maybe a good internet connection, some may have a poor internet connection. The server has to try and synchronise everybody as much as possible. Because CIG made players fully animated the same as NPC's there is no difference except that the local control for the player 'appears' to be client side, but that isn't the way it works. you're actually remote operating your player avatar. Your command inputs don't go directly to the avatar via your PCI bus and CPU, they go up to the server and control your server side avatar, and it's change state is then sent back to your local client avatar along with the change state of every other avatar in the game both player and NPC. The NPC scheduler runs on the server and it controls what the NPC's are doing. From the servers perspective the NPC scheduler is just another group of players.

When you build a level in game you have a testing focus. When they were testing interdictions you got stopped every few minutes - bloody annoying. When they were testing the Mantis, you got pulled out of Quantum travel every few minutes. When they want to test the prison mechanic, they send you to prison for bumping against a neighbour. If you want to know what they're testing at any one time, read the forum complaint threads. Easy - what is every getting annoyed about? That's what they're testing.

Using all those thousands of animations right now is not the focus for testing so there is certainly no point in testing AI that controls those animations, it would take up server resources that are needed to test other things. Why put the animation in to watch an NPC climb the rock wall in New Babbage if it serves no purpose other than to amuse players for 2 minutes? There's no point, it's a waste of time and resources right now. It doesn't mean that they haven't made them. They just haven't activated them. We have a bare minimum testing environment because resources need to be managed, that incudes developer time, and excess extraneous data only confuses the issue.

The NPC's stand on the chairs because that is their designated starting place, however the scheduler hasn't told them what position to start in so they are permanently at the default standing idle position waiting for instruction about what to do next. At some point in the future you will run into a place to find the NPC's all standing on chairs suddenly go to a sitting position and start idling.. fiddling with a mobiglas etc, becuase the server knows there is a player around to see them so it starts telling them what to do. Now you know they are testing NPC's.

This is not a game to amuse you all right now, it's a testing environment. If you can understand that you'll appreciate more about how things are made and perhaps that will amuse you even more. The first time I created a dungeon in Skyrim, when I placed the Draugr's in their starting positions I just stood there looking at them for a while. It felt weird to be so close to them watching them breathe, and yet they didn't even acknowledge me, let alone attack me. It was really spooky at first I thought, wow this it, this is what true power is I can tell them exactly what to do and when. If I want to make them dance, I can.

You'll never see this part of Star Citizen again probably unless you learn how to use the developer tools when they are released to us.. so why not enjoy the novelty? There's nothing wrong with the NPC's they are just waiting their turn to be tested.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Add-Ons/Celebration-Gear-Pack-ILW2950

I love this one. You can actually buy all those items in-game for about 16,000 aUEC, which is one or two missions.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

The Super-Id posted:

Drat, I'll never get into the Chairman's Club now.

i found it... these are the folks who are in the club buying all these insane priced ships.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Nalin posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Add-Ons/Celebration-Gear-Pack-ILW2950

I love this one. You can actually buy all those items in-game for about 16,000 aUEC, which is one or two missions.

I don't know, paying 25 bucks to not have to play this game sounds like a pretty good deal.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

sebmojo posted:

Last one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH0rQwiI3qI

After this I tried to open it and there was no launch button.

So I know you did not take my word for it, but now that you have experienced it, I hope you enjoyed it. :)

Did you buy an Idiris or three?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

sebmojo posted:

Last one.

The duplicating audio announcements are disorientating. Star Citizen is magical.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

he must be pretty good with “deals“ in general.
hey here's a deal: i will upgrade the untitled goose game for you. you know this game where you can honk and thats pretty much it? even worse this game is “finished“, its “released“. the price for it is ridiculously low...it represents everything which is wrong with games today.

i will make an mmo out of it for you and your friends. you will be able to breed geese and go to space.
the only thing i need is all your money and i promise you it will never be finished.

deal?

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 26, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

sebmojo posted:

Last one.

Lol you’re a braver man than I. I’ll usually jump on a free fly but I sat this one out. I like how everything has gotten worse since that last time I played over year ago. At that point I could at least I could sort of fly around in my ship and go places. Some bug would take me out every 30 minutes or so and none of the missions worked, but I could at least fly from Hurston to ArcCorp.

Man those graphics are looking dated too, you can tell they’ve tried to make New Babbage look better, but it’s an uphill battle in their 10 year old engine. That art and level design is just terrible too, just another maze of metal corridors and space mall stores. You’d think they’d want huge open plaza type spaces for the promised meetups of hundreds of players, like if they’re really so focused on “scale” make that tiny indoor track a real 1/4 mile under a giant dome with big parks and public spaces; but I guess the engine would just poo poo the bed even more than it does now.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
normally the life of a game BEGINS with its release. then you have games which are kept alive for decades by modders. it really depends on the quality of the game. but gently caress poo poo it must be released before all this can happen.

but some backers minds are now so twisted he would “cry“ once its finished. what brainwashing technique did cig use here...

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Just imagine how amazing Star Citizen 2 will be in 80 years from now!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Also, I’m scrolling through Clifford’s Twitter and he hasn’t posted any new big JPEG purchases. :ohdear:

Come on man, you need to step up your game. Chris needs you in these uncertain times.

If you buy me a Javelin, it will prove me wrong as a hater and I’ll admit that Star Citizen is good.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Agony Aunt posted:

Why would anyone's hosts file have incorrect entries for CIG's servers?

Okay, I'm glad someone else was thinking the same thing. I thought I was going crazy there for a minute.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Last King posted:

this is insane... :edit: used a better picture i found.

already sold out of all these limited ships according to reddit.

*Furiosly mashing refresh to get to buy the most expensive ship*

[sold out]

gently caress!

*Furiosly mashing refresh to get to buy the next most expensive ship*

[sold out]

gently caress!

[sold out]

gently caress!

[sold out]

gently caress!

[sold out]

gently caress!

Buys a Nautilus

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Strangler 42 posted:

They never really were for sale, or maybe they were bought up by money laundering bots in Russia. Either way, I'm sure you can email customer service and they'll be able to find one in the back if you ask them to sell you a thousand dollar ship.

People have tried, oh boy have they tried, but tough luck 'cuz there is a limited amount of them and selling more ships that those available would imbalance their in-game economy.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

trucutru posted:

Buys a Nautilus

The 8th-from-the-top most expensive ship, a complete steal at only... 800 pounds! GOING FAST!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

How long until this whole thing will be a netflix or hbo documentary?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Never, because people are apparently obliged to endlessly throw money at the developers.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Last King posted:

i found it... these are the folks who are in the club buying all these insane priced ships.

DARE TO DREAM

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009

Mirificus posted:

Block of text.

Normally I'd say this person is making fun of it all, but considering the community I'm not actually sure.

Also if they're right then they do a shitton of stuff serverside. Isn't the goal of any multiplayer game ever and even more so in MMOs to shunt as much as the computation as possible clientside and do only super high level abstractions and databases on the server? And you'd think that a space game makes it easier than most other settings - why care about some other dude's bone physics while he's in a ship 10km away? You need to know, what? Distance, orientation, weapon fire, health status, ship geometry and velocity?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

:lol::lol::lol:

Mirificus posted:

quote:

believe it or not there more bones in the face of a Star Citizen NPC than in the whole body of most games NPC's

More face bones than in an entire Skyrim crater...

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

sebmojo posted:

Last one.

You were at another surface vehicle spawn pad- that's why your ships weren't available. I don't blame you the layout of the spaceports is confusing as hell and there is absolutely nothing to differentiate the surface vehicle spawners from the space spawners.

It really is interesting watching a new person run through the game. The signage and "Tips" are all still designed around Port Olisar where the spawn -> ship console path is a 10 second corridor. As they've tacked on these bigger and bigger cities they've made absolutely no allowance for new people becoming confused and lost in their endless shopping mall labyrinths. It is almost anti-game design, at this point.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Wait a second, what happened at the end there? Did he get teleported back into prison? Do you just immediately teleport to prison if you get commit a crime? I thought you had to die first or something

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sarsapariller posted:

You were at another surface vehicle spawn pad- that's why your ships weren't available. I don't blame you the layout of the spaceports is confusing as hell and there is absolutely nothing to differentiate the surface vehicle spawners from the space spawners.

It really is interesting watching a new person run through the game. The signage and "Tips" are all still designed around Port Olisar where the spawn -> ship console path is a 10 second corridor. As they've tacked on these bigger and bigger cities they've made absolutely no allowance for new people becoming confused and lost in their endless shopping mall labyrinths. It is almost anti-game design, at this point.

Wait, so i might be able to find a spaceship if I go back? Where the gently caress are the spaceship spawners, I thought I'd had a really good look around?

TBQH my jolly tone is only a little bit fake, I genuinely do want to get in a ship and fly to another planet. that's why I sound so defeated at the end lol. Someone described it as Bob Ross getting griefed by one of his own paintings.

Overall the lack of even the most minimal attention to new players is incredible. Not even a text pop up to say 'go here and do this', just bizarrely random, almost Dada, help tips.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 27, 2020

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

sebmojo posted:

Wait, so i might be able to find a spaceship if I go back? Where the gently caress are the spaceship spawners, I thought I'd had a really good look around?

TBQH my jolly tone is only a little bit fake, I genuinely do want to get in a ship and fly to another planet. that's why I sound so defeated at the end lol. Someone described it as Bob Ross getting griefed by one of his own paintings.

I'd offer to log in and see if I can't help you out but

A) I'm not sure if I can even get into the game

B) It's really very fascinating watching a completely new person try and figure this poo poo out.

C) I've never been to New Babbage or whatever it's called, so I won't be much help.

e: yeah, still can't log in. Customer Service is uh... shrugging.

quote:

Hello Beet‍!

We're aware that many backers are experiencing issues with connecting to the game and other in-game troubles at this time. If you have connected, it is possible you will encounter a variety of errors as back end services catch up. A lot of the problems we are tracking are due to a vastly increased amount of player activity. Our teams are investigating and working on getting things fixed up as quickly as possible.

As a reminder, you can stay up to date in real time on our Status Update page here: https://status.robertsspaceindustries.com/

We have also adjusted the dates of the Invictus Free Fly Event to match:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/invictus-launch-week-free-fly-update

For currently known issues and any workarounds for them we know, check out this section of our Knowledge Base:
Known Issues

You may also see the most current news by watching General Chat in Spectrum.

Thank you for your patience.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 27, 2020

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm really curious is that's by design or incompetence.

I sometimes wonder if what they're doing is like those "Nigerian prince" e-mail scams. They know full well that those emails are full of typos, but it's intentional to weed out the more scrupulous. They know anyone who actually responds is a prime mark.

Probably just incompetence though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lol I'm on a mission here, so I'm going to keep trying. I uninstalled it last night after the 'launch' button on the launcher disappeared for some reason. Incidentially the launcher uninstalls fine but it leaves all 60 gig of game files there, and there was no entry in the uninstall list.

I think I'll put it on my SSD and have another go, now I'm refreshed by the morning sun's regenerative light, Superman style.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

Overall the lack of even the most minimal attention to new players is incredible. Not even a text pop up to say 'go here and do this', just bizarrely random, almost Dada, help tips.

Now you have to top off your experience with the Lesnick challenge, although I don’t see where the Wing Commander movie is streaming.

toggle posted:

How long until this whole thing will be a netflix or hbo documentary?

Two weeks, tops.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

sebmojo posted:

I can't tell you much about the spaceport on Microsoft or whatever it's called, every time I've tried to fly there my game has crashed at the end of the 20-minute QT trip. But the spawners will definitely be around there somewhere.

I honestly don't know why they let people spawn at any city. They should limit that to a tutorial area like Port Olisar so at the very least new players aren't lost in the depths of train and mall hell

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mirificus posted:

quote:

If you want to know what they're testing at any one time, read the forum complaint threads. Easy - what is every getting annoyed about? That's what they're testing.

Server queue testing.

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

The Super-Id posted:

Question: can I experience prison gameplay during the free fly? And if so what is the quickest way to be imprisoned after waking up in the wank pod?

I know this was a way back in the thread but I would also like to know what the quickest way to be imprisoned after waking up in the wank pod is.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
Funny to think about just how many they had playing over this weekend. Imagine they had maybe 20k-50k concurrent users at peak. That is 400-1000 spin ups with 50 per. It's no wonder they sold some more limited ships, I don't think they will enjoy the bill coming from AWS :)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

skyelevator posted:

I know this was a way back in the thread but I would also like to know what the quickest way to be imprisoned after waking up in the wank pod is.

leave orbit, go to a space station, shoot turrets, die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

skyelevator posted:

Get in a ship, ram another ship or loiter over another landing pad until your ship is impounded, suicide (alt + backspace)