Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Also, the draconian punishments in QCS make open discussion nearly impossible. It keeps thing clean, yes, but frankly I do not feel comfortable posting in that forum at all because of some of the ridiculously overblown sentencing.

FFS, this comment got a guy a month. Like, I'm sorry he annoyed some mods, but loving Christ. What message does that send to people with legitimate concerns?

looks like he got shot with a military grade rocket launcher, and it was extremely non-sexual, resulting in a 30-day probe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

RaySmuckles posted:

being made top level would be a sign of acceptance by the moderation team and demonstrate that there is a place for us here

if they're unwilling to do that, how is that not a demonstration of the exact opposite: that they're just waiting for us to either go away organically or become so marginalized that we can simply be done away with without too much fuss
with respect but i think this is something that exists in your head. you have become obsessed with abstract signifers that have taken on enormous significance and hinging on the question over whether the mods and other people will finally recognize CSPAM as a good forum. and if they do not, then that implicitly means CSPAM is a bad forum and thus is doomed to be destroyed... lost... loving up the whole canon. but that isn't a thing. and you really need to let that poo poo go because it isn't a thing, and even if it were, this probably wouldn't be the best place to litigate it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though I have noticed this site is trending harder towards spite posting where people are bronging stuff up to settle grudges. it’s kind of made QCS kind of unreadable and just a useless forum.

ironically I think it’s the forum that does need tighter moderation because it does serve a purpose.

just right now it doesn’t
*nodding wisely* yes i predicted this was going to happen

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

with respect but i think this is something that exists in your head. you have obsessed with abstract signifers that have taken on enormous significance and hinging on the question over whether the mods and other people will finally recognize CSPAM as a good forum. and if they do not, then that implicitly means CSPAM is a bad forum and thus is doomed to be destroyed... lost... loving up the whole canon. but that isn't a thing. and you really need to let that poo poo go because it isn't a thing, and even if it were, this probably wouldn't be the best place to litigate it.

so you're telling me that c-spam is absolutely in no danger of being removed and there's no need for any further meddling by outsiders, including the moderation team?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

RaySmuckles posted:

so you're telling me that c-spam is absolutely in no danger of being removed and there's no need for any further meddling by outsiders, including the moderation team?
i can imagine scenarios where cspam is removed like if people start posting about illegal stuff and summoning the FBI like in the golden LF days. you think it is unfair that we're not a top-level forum. but it isn't unfair, in the sense that we have any control over the situation because we don't: we have no control over these events in your perspective because we're dancing in the theater of your imagination.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

I think the mods are alright. 2.5 stars, like a dreamworks movie or a chicken sandwich without pickles

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Also, the draconian punishments in QCS make open discussion nearly impossible. It keeps thing clean, yes, but frankly I do not feel comfortable posting in that forum at all because of some of the ridiculously overblown sentencing.

FFS, this comment got a guy a month. Like, I'm sorry he annoyed some mods, but loving Christ. What message does that send to people with legitimate concerns?

2nd'ing this. first time it felt like I'm gambling my account when I post.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

i can imagine scenarios where cspam is removed like if people start posting about illegal stuff and summoning the FBI like in the golden LF days. you think it is unfair that we're not a top-level forum. but it isn't unfair, in the sense that we have any control over the situation because we don't: we have no control over these events in your perspective because we're dancing in the theater of your imagination.

lmao, ok sigmund

why isn't c-spam a top level forum?

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

cspam being top level or not is meaningless

why do you say that? i think it would be really cool

we'd have come a long way from being d&d refugees

RaySmuckles has issued a correction as of 03:12 on May 27, 2020

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cpt_Obvious posted:

This was a few pages ago, but +1 all the way.

The most damning part was said poster immediately making GBS threads out a new thread to attack his forum enemies. If anything, allowing someone to build a list, have said list revealed, and then not punishing those actions encouraged him to escalate into trying to get people banned in QCS. The next step he takes is going to be even shittier, and the mods official position is "well, we can't do anything" is going to look terrible in hindsight.

This can't be said enough. loving unbelievable

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

RaySmuckles posted:

being made top level would be a sign of acceptance by the moderation team and demonstrate that there is a place for us here

if they're unwilling to do that, how is that not a demonstration of the exact opposite: that they're just waiting for us to either go away organically or become so marginalized that we can simply be done away with without too much fuss

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

This can't be said enough. loving unbelievable

you notice how out of all the feedback here and the back forth this one was the one that got ignored

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

with respect but i think this is something that exists in your head. you have become obsessed with abstract signifers that have taken on enormous significance and hinging on the question over whether the mods and other people will finally recognize CSPAM as a good forum. and if they do not, then that implicitly means CSPAM is a bad forum and thus is doomed to be destroyed... lost... loving up the whole canon. but that isn't a thing. and you really need to let that poo poo go because it isn't a thing, and even if it were, this probably wouldn't be the best place to litigate it.

If it isn't a thing just loving tell the slimy goblins that infest qcs (and a tiny percentage d&d) that it isn't a thing and they need to drop their obsession, delete their enemies list, and gently caress off. For as long as that doesn't happen they are going to keep banging their goblin war drums and abusing the report button and c-spam is going to be the #1 source of reports and mods are going to have to respond because of all the reports and c-spam is going to think that c-spam being doomed to be destroyed is a thing

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Last thread there was mention about there being a discussion about the fyad reject thread in CCCC. Any updates on that, out of curiosity?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

yeah there's been way too many words written about top level status jfc

It'd be a nice symbolic gesture but at the very, VERY most, that's all it would ever be, and would signify nothing nor predict anything other than making people who are overly concerned with aesthetics feel better

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Asema posted:

you notice how out of all the feedback here and the back forth this one was the one that got ignored

most definitely

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rastor posted:

If it isn't a thing just loving tell the slimy goblins that infest qcs (and a tiny percentage d&d) that it isn't a thing and they need to drop their obsession, delete their enemies list, and gently caress off. For as long as that doesn't happen they are going to keep banging their goblin war drums and abusing the report button and c-spam is going to be the #1 source of reports and mods are going to have to respond because of all the reports and c-spam is going to think that c-spam being doomed to be destroyed is a thing

yeah this is the way to deal with it and I don’t even think it would require any real punishments

just like stop indulging the weirdos

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Oh Snapple! posted:

Last thread there was mention about there being a discussion about the fyad reject thread in CCCC. Any updates on that, out of curiosity?

Who cares, let them post about pizza and poo poo. They're only relevant when the small handful Karens in that thread crawl out from under their rock to troll QCS

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Rastor posted:

okay they should gently caress off

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

great, go tell them that

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

yeah i agree but it needs to be said in qcs or whatever cave they live in and it needs to be firmly established

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Asema posted:

I'll scream this at the roof tops, but I really believe a tighter ran ship in D&D would see C-SPAM's popularity and overall usage dwindle. Harsher punishment for both the "centrist/lib" posters that pretty much have perfected baiting out a leftist into crossing the line in the sand and eating a 6er and the feedback loop leftist that tries to bait those posters into defending poo poo that doesn't need to be defended and isn't what the conversation is about. I've love to see the usage/site traffic for the moment the GE thread was shut down and how much more traffic the succ dem thread got immediately afterwards.
d&d did have a tighter ship it was called banning posters for a month repeatedly for daring to impugn the integrity of obamacare

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

RaySmuckles posted:

great, go tell them that
well i've said gently caress off. but i don't think the goblins who inhabit troll town are worth engaging if they insist on maintaining bad faith, like i've emphasized repeatedly

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

lmao, ok sigmund

I mean, let's be real here, the only reason we have more posters then our parent forum in the first place is D&D's widely-unpopular rules.

I get that you're looking for some kind of concrete signal of support but making C-SPAM a top level forum wouldn't actually do anything.

The people who've been given tacit permission to conduct a sad little forums crusade against us won't give up due to some oblique gesture, hell they'll spin it as yet another reason that The Great Posting Satan must be destroyed.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

well i've said gently caress off. but i don't think the goblins who inhabit troll town are worth engaging, like i've emphasized repeatedly

the problem seems to be that other mods disagree, and this in turn is influencing how cspam is being moderated

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

RaySmuckles posted:

lmao, ok sigmund

why do you say that? i think it would be really cool

we'd have come a long way from being d&d refugees

it comes across as a whiny petulant demand that would change nothing and just be a headache to implement for admins

Rastor posted:

yeah i agree but it needs to be said in qcs or whatever cave they live in and it needs to be firmly established

the #1 thing you want as a mod, unless youre insane, is less dumb drama. telling people to gently caress off directly in qcs is one way to achieve the opposite.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

the #1 thing you want as a mod, unless youre insane, is less dumb drama. telling people to gently caress off directly in qcs is one way to achieve the opposite.
*knock knock*

who's there

cspam

cspam who

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

You don't have to literally say gently caress off, just that c-spam is a valued part of the forums community, that it isn't going to be deleted, people need to stop actively campaigning to get it deleted, and that a very dim view is going to be taken to bullshit uses of the report button in c-spam

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I mean, let's be real here, the only reason we have more posters then our parent forum in the first place is D&D's widely-unpopular rules.

I get that you're looking for some kind of concrete signal of support but making C-SPAM a top level forum wouldn't actually do anything.

The people who've been given tacit permission to conduct a sad little forums crusade against us won't give up due to some oblique gesture, hell they'll spin it as yet another reason that The Great Posting Satan must be destroyed.

maybe, maybe not

but the status quo is looking pretty untenable

these qcs flare ups are only increasing. this is like the second mod suggestion thread in a week (or two)

the way i see it, something needs to change, and even if just aesthetic, a forums elevation would be a positive signal of support for us and help drive the narrative that we're our own corner and have place here.

otherwise, the only thing i see changing is more drama around the sub which only makes its position more precarious cuz its creating all kinds of waves of antagonism

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

I'm still absolutely loving gobsmacked that someone PMing other posters for a list of bad posters, and this same user definitely proving they've got--at minimum--a list of posters with the number of rap sheet entries, was deemed totally fine and unnecessary to act on, not just by you, but by several mods.

Especially after the events of the past year that comes off as insanely loving suspect.

Hey FOS get your rear end back in here and tell us why we should tolerate posters conspiring with other posters to make lists of their forum enemies. Tell us why that's okay and should go completely loving unremarked on or not acted upon.

I'm not gonna lie, after the events of the last year I'm 100% ready to believe that FOS knew about this behavior beforehand and contributed to or encouraged it, especially considering how he locked the thread immediately after Ice Phisherman's post in the general thread with some weak-rear end ":qq: so many reports :qq:" excuse.

I'm also extremely curious about the other mods who said it was fine. Was this a widely discussed topic? Is the general mod consensus that it's okay to gather lists of other posters, as long as the information is gathered secretly in PMs and nothing obvious or traceable is done with it? Is that the official stance of the mod team?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

RaySmuckles posted:

these qcs flare ups are only increasing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6oZTq_KsXc&t=35s

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

please rename cspam to the hyperbolic radicalization chamber

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Roth posted:

Which mods and admins do you guys think want C-Spam shut down?
Jeffrey? He may not want to CSPAM shut down personally, but he does hang out in the War + Peace thread with the group of posters most vocal about shutting it down (those posters also routinely troll and poo poo up QCS and brag about it in that thread without being punished*). And while it's unknown if "mods knew" about the whole PPJ thing, Jeffrey most certainly did and approved that whole poo poo operation ("Blowing up a "legit informant" over cspam drama..." and all that).

I'll admit I'm relatively new to reading CSPAM and mostly a lurker here, so it could be I have no idea what I'm talking about. But it also means CSPAM isn't tied into my whole forums identity or whatever so I have more of an outsider's perspective. But it was the PPJ fiasco is what really drew my attention to CSPAM. And while I feel like for the most part the mods on this forum as a whole are doing alright right now (in CSPAM and elsewhere), Jeffrey is what really worries me, both concerning CSPAM and the overall site. He does good work on the technical side, but his endorsing & (lack of) handling the PPJ project and palling around with a number of the site's biggest trolls is a problem.

* I am aware some CSPAM posters do the same, they need to be probated for it as well.

Saagonsa posted:

Also I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to call someone a the f word anywhere on these forums.
Maybe not that slur, but users are apparently free to call people "retarded" in the War + Peace thread.

Fake edit, also lol that the Star Wars jokes forum is a top level forum and CSPAM isn't

Somebody has issued a correction as of 13:15 on May 27, 2020

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
as part of the reason why the cop thread got shut down, i formally request that we reopen it in light of recent events

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hey FOS get your rear end back in here and tell us why we should tolerate posters conspiring with other posters to make lists of their forum enemies. Tell us why that's okay and should go completely loving unremarked on or not acted upon.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just to be absolutely clear, in the past when PM harassment has happened we have stepped in and dealt with it. It's an admin-only action and usually it is resolved by basically mediating between the affected parties. Usually if an admin wanders through and PM's a user to tell them to stop PM'ing another user, it ends pretty quickly. If it continues past that we have a few different options.

As to how to prove any of this is going on via PMs? Well, there's the rub and obviously it's open to all kinds of abuse. The system we have just isn't built for it, which is a big part of why it comes down to the admins. At the end of the day it comes down to judging a they said / they said situation. Getting user permission to log into their account is one way to go about it, although it's rarely used for obvious reasons. It's invasive as all gently caress and frankly that level of violating someone's privacy is not something I personally take lightly, nor do the other admins. In my own limited experience with these situations it hasn't been necessary. Usually both people admit the PM bullshit is happening and someone backs off once confronted.

If the PM bullshit isn't stopping the next step is to remove the offender's PMs. Any admin can grant or strip plat with their admin tools, no banning necessary. If whoever is doing the harassing re-buys plat and goes back at it then we move forward. Bans, etc. It's something we have done in the past and it's something we'll do in the future as necessary.

Again, let me emphasize that this is for harassment. Repeated unwanted and unreciprocated contact. The bar for what constitutes that is fairly high, as we don't want to get involved in people's PMs. The PM system desperately needs to be overhauled, but it's what we have for now.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I'm not gonna lie, after the events of the last year I'm 100% ready to believe that FOS knew about this behavior beforehand and contributed to or encouraged it, especially considering how he locked the thread immediately after Ice Phisherman's post in the general thread with some weak-rear end ":qq: so many reports :qq:" excuse.

I'm also extremely curious about the other mods who said it was fine. Was this a widely discussed topic? Is the general mod consensus that it's okay to gather lists of other posters, as long as the information is gathered secretly in PMs and nothing obvious or traceable is done with it? Is that the official stance of the mod team?
if someone makes a forums enemies list conspiracy thread we'll find out pretty quickly if this is hypocritically tolerated or not

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i think raysmuckles has a good point in that the drama is only going to escalate unless the actual players are reined in

if we have decided that drama is unavoidable, we should prefer comedy over tragedy, and then making cspam a top level forum would certainly make the qcs threads funnier, which even they would agree is appropriate for a comedy forum

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Rastor posted:

You don't have to literally say gently caress off, just that c-spam is a valued part of the forums community, that it isn't going to be deleted, people need to stop actively campaigning to get it deleted, and that a very dim view is going to be taken to bullshit uses of the report button in c-spam

mods have made posts to this effect in almost every qcs slapfight about cspam in the last few weeks. it doesnt matter, all these freaks are still going to use qcs to get their forums enemies slapped with a probation.

the only problem i see is that these threads just get bigger and dumber and eventually explode and someone messages lowtax about the evil libs or evil chuds and he remembers he owns a forum for a day and suddenly cspam is shut down or something dumber happens. the New QCS style of shutting down the drama pretty quickly with corporate speak "were listening and learning and seeing" bs is pretty good way to nip this poo poo in the bud but some people need their meaningless forums drama i guess

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Huragok posted:

as part of the reason why the cop thread got shut down, i formally request that we reopen it in light of recent events
it's too easy for non-cspam regulars or trump threaders to wander into the thread and post incendiary poo poo like happened last time

goons have historically been incapable of being responsible with cop abuse threads

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Yeah that's about harassment via PM, not seeing anything in there about making lists of posters like a hostile obsessive sociopath

e: oh and coordinating with other users to do so. Is the issue that it can't be proven without a PMed poster cooperating in some way (doing a screen share for example)? Then that's a challenge to be overcome in the interest of other posters' safety, not a reason to shrug and go "welp, someone's making a list of enemies, what can you do oh well"

Son of Thunderbeast has issued a correction as of 03:36 on May 27, 2020

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Eh! Frank posted:

Fake edit, also lol that the Star Wars jokes forum is a top level forum and CSPAM isn't

hey, there are 20 posters in that forum right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Clearly, we need an enemy list thread. Just posters posting posters who post posts we don't like being posted.