Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

like I get that 99.9% of people, including mods, don’t want to do anything more than skim over a shitload of uspol posts, but all of the “problem posters” were calmly, rationally taken apart a dozen times in a dozen different ways but continue to stir poo poo because they figured out how to write their ghoulish positions within the letter of the forum law and under mod radar, then when people are exasperated and disgusted because we’re gonna relitigate “what counts as rape, exactly?” for the fiftieth time they get probes because they posted “eat poo poo, idiot”

it sucks!

e: sorry I’m slowly phone posting

d&d has become infested with the guy the new school of chess strategy quote is about and the mods are insistent on playing the role of the interloper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Have you seen a pic of him? Judge not the level of funnyness an own might be if you're unfamiliar.

Did everyone forget that meme was started by neo-nazis? It was Milo Yiannopoulos who kicked that entire line of attack of. Like, King seems to be a grifter but there are way better ways to attack someone than repeating stuff started by Nazis. I'm assuming you didn't know but like, yeah. Don't repeat their dumb poo poo.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

Did everyone forget that meme was started by neo-nazis? It was Milo Yiannopoulos who kicked that entire line of attack of. Like, King seems to be a grifter but there are way better ways to attack someone than repeating stuff started by Nazis. I'm assuming you didn't know but like, yeah. Don't repeat their dumb poo poo.

Yeah I was unfamiliar with that, it's was just a funny thing to me, not something i'd go hard to bat for.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I do however think just screaming at one biracial person to be banned for thinking its a funny nickname and also accusing them of being a secret racist is however, exceptionally uncool look.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's cool, I kind of assume people really did forget but it was started by neo-nazis saying he isn't really black and than spread out into the mainstream. The joke isn't about him being light skinned, it's supposed to be a joke that he's not actually black and lying.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

This is getting a bit offtopic but theres a ton of contention and self loathing and doubt in the biracial american community over this kind of thing and where you really belong, but I wouldn't call some humor based on these situations of our very different skin tones immediately racial essentialism.

Its a bit complex issue especially growing up right now.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

extremely cool that a mod is using neo nazi memes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think its possible for two people to arrive at the same kind of obvious pun independent of each other

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yinlock posted:

I saw it in other black spaces before I ever heard it came from Milo, just here, in this thread.

I won't truck it anymore but I think this isn't like the silver bullet that hes really a neonazi or something.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Yinlock posted:

why do I get the feeling that if you were alone in a bathroom for five minutes you'd draw a swastika on the mirror and start screaming in fear

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yinlock posted:

Eh, he's not. That's not fair. He's just uncritically repeating dumb stuff that escaped the conservative sphere and bleed out into the mainstream. But people should be aware that all of that got kicked off by Milo some years ago when he was relevant.

Edit: Like Sharkopath said it's in black spaces too and I've seen it pop up in lots of leftist spaces. Which is it's own kind of concerning but doesn't mean I think everyone in those spaces are all secret Nazis, they just got suckered by a right wing meme that has some loving legs.

Gumball Gumption has issued a correction as of 05:50 on May 27, 2020

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

I saw it in other black spaces before I ever heard it came from Milo, just here, in this thread.

I won't truck it anymore but I think this isn't like the silver bullet that hes really a neonazi or something.

ftr as the person who brought it up, i dont think he's a neonazi, i think that's just a lovely thing to call someone because they don't have the politics you think they should

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

no it's just a really lovely thing to say to someone

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It'd be funnier as a throwaway line about dry skin.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

klapman posted:

why do I get the feeling that if you were alone in a bathroom for five minutes you'd draw a swastika on the mirror and start screaming in fear

plz do not imagine me in the bathroom

Gumball Gumption posted:

Eh, he's not. That's not fair. He's just uncritically repeating dumb stuff that escaped the conservative sphere and bleed out into the mainstream. But people should be aware that all of that got kicked off by Milo some years ago when he was relevant.

Edit: Like Sharkopath said it's in black spaces too and I've seen it pop up in lots of leftist spaces. Which is it's own kind of concerning but doesn't mean I think everyone in those spaces are all secret Nazis, they just got suckered by a right wing meme that has some loving legs.

yeah i don't think he's a literal nazi but the fact that he's using the same jokes is uh not the best

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Raskolnikov38 posted:

d&d has become infested with the guy the new school of chess strategy quote is about and the mods are insistent on playing the role of the interloper

what specific quote is this? I'm familiar with chess but not to that point

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

quote:
A better analogy would be if someone walks into a championship tournament, says "GEE I THINK I MAY HAVE TRANSCENDED THE UNDERSTANDING OF SOME OF YOU GRANDMASTERS HERE, WANT TO JOIN MY NEW SCHOOL OF CHESS STRATEGY?", then loses by scholar's mate twice in the first round.

This person then refuses to leave his seat, claiming that he needs additional proof that the queen in f7 actually ontologically exists before he will admit defeat, and that the rules of the CHESS ESTABLISHMENT were unfairly biased against him by disallowing the possibility of his king being able to leapfrog pieces.

Then he pulls out an ancient shopping list from 1905 and claims that "1. Eggs" means 'The King', "2. Butter" means 'can', and "3. Milk" means 'leapfrog'. This is admissible evidence for his case because he has lived according to the dictates of this list since he was a teenager, and it has drastically improved his quality of life. When the referees tell him that this makes no loving sense, he drags them into a three hour debate over the precise meaning of the words 'makes', 'no', 'loving', and 'sense'.

When people point out that there is more than enough evidence to suggest his list is just a scrap of paper from some long-dead housewife's purse, he rather proudly points out how close-minded they are in dismissing outright the possibility that the list was in fact a secret coded message on the best way to live life, originally formulated by Atlanteans and passed down through the ages disguised as everyday documents. After all, if one starts with the presupposition that such a document exists, then it would be very fair to argue that it is indeed in the form of his shopping list.

Never mind that his previous interpretations of the list led to three convictions and time served for robbery, hate crimes, and murder. These were just unfortunate misinterpretations on his part of the list's true intentions, he says. The list itself is blameless. In fact, the Atlanteans deliberately obfuscated the true meaning of the list in this way, so that it would require multiple failed misinterpretations before one would happen across its TRUE meaning, and in doing so appreciate it all the more.

In fact, he does have some evidence to back up his claims. Why, just last week during his daily meditation on the list, he felt it telling him that something good was about to happen in his future. And yesterday, wouldn't you know it, he found a twenty dollar note on the sidewalk! Evidence of the list's prophetic powers if I ever saw one. And believe him, he has many more stories where that came from.

By now, the debate has splintered off into innumerable tangents, with the one man against literally every other player and referee present at the tournament. Finally, he graciously accepts the possibility of defeat in some of the myriad topics now being covered. OK, maybe the tallest player doesn't always get to go first. Fine, I will concede that there isn't much evidence to support my third-invisible-knight hypothesis. But that's all irrelevant. What he wants to concentrate on, and what nobody has yet been able to disprove, he adds, is the ability of the king to leapfrog over other pieces.

The argument drags on for weeks. Finally, one afternoon, the beet-faced referee exhausts his last reserves of decency and throws his arms up in frustration and despair. "YOU loving rear end in a top hat, HOW CAN YOU LAY CLAIM TO KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT CHESS STRATEGY WHEN YOU DON'T EVEN GRASP THE MOST BASIC RULES!?" He shouts, just as a new entrant walks through the door. "I'm sorry," replies the man calmly, "I simply cannot discuss the rules of chess with such an 'official' if you insist on using such strong and uncouth language. Please retract your insults or I will be forced to plug my ears whenever you say anything from now on."

Seeing only this last exchange, the new entrant pipes up. "He's right, you know. If he did something wrong, then you as the referee have every right to tell him he is so, but it should be done with a patient and thorough explanation of the details of his error. Hurling ridicule at him solves nothing and won't change anyone's mind."

The lazy eye of the rear end in a top hat List-following, King-leapfrogging man twitches almost unnoticeably, as he cranes his head towards the source of this new voice. A welcoming smile cracks, inch by beaming inch, across his face. He licks his lips. He clears his throat.

"So glad to know decent people like you still value a polite discussion. Care for a game?"

Somebody has issued a correction as of 13:10 on May 27, 2020

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Eox posted:

I don't know if it helps matters, but I have it on hand because I adore it

edit: oof some slurs in there, it's an old quote

r-word aside this does sum up d&d really well

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Eox posted:

I don't know if it helps matters, but I have it on hand because I adore it

edit: oof some slurs in there, it's an old quote

god drat, it's like half of D&D

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

imo d&d should remain a dumping ground for liberal mainstream opinions like "we should overthrow the governments of venezuela and cuba" and "tara reade is a liar" so that there's a political space for that poo poo and you dont have to deal w/ it as much in cspam

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

comedyblissoption posted:

imo d&d should remain a dumping ground for liberal mainstream opinions like "we should overthrow the governments of venezuela and cuba" and "tara reade is a liar" so that there's a political space for that poo poo and you dont have to deal w/ it as much in cspam

It would be nicer if it were just one big honeypot.

I guess it still could be that...

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

yeah there's been way too many words written about top level status jfc

It'd be a nice symbolic gesture but at the very, VERY most, that's all it would ever be, and would signify nothing nor predict anything other than making people who are overly concerned with aesthetics feel better

Top level or not is whatever, but what's great about it, what perfectly encapsulates the issue at hand, is that it IS essentially a meaningless, but also effortless gesture. It's like two toddlers fighting, and the adult comes in the room and says 'hey you need to say sorry for hitting your brother', and that would end the fight. But no, that would be admitting defeat, even if it doesn't matter and is the simplest thing in the world to do, so we must not do it.

What's extra funny about it is that a new top level forum was created just a few weeks later after the request.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I don't assume doing literally anything to these dumb forums is effortless lol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Kaedric posted:

Top level or not is whatever, but what's great about it, what perfectly encapsulates the issue at hand, is that it IS essentially a meaningless, but also effortless gesture. It's like two toddlers fighting, and the adult comes in the room and says 'hey you need to say sorry for hitting your brother', and that would end the fight. But no, that would be admitting defeat, even if it doesn't matter and is the simplest thing in the world to do, so we must not do it.

What's extra funny about it is that a new top level forum was created just a few weeks later after the request.

Also true

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

I don't assume doing literally anything to these dumb forums is effortless lol

breaking them seems easy enough

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

groverforum

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
groverfurrum

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

groverforum

load-bearing probation

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

We are all groverfurries in this date and time

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Kaedric posted:

Hey now, that Star Wars joke forum is essential, we can't have it hidden away under CineD or anything!

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Succ zone is terrific inoculation for the rest of cspam. Just make succ zone its own 1-thread sub forum within cspam and/or don’t read ur enemies’ posts?? Bing bong bing

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Man Musk posted:

Succ zone is terrific inoculation for the rest of cspam. Just make succ zone its own 1-thread sub forum within cspam and/or don’t read ur enemies’ posts?? Bing bong bing

if i can't read my enemies' posts then how can i know how to defeat them

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

NecroMonster posted:

so is paying attention to history and context good or not i'm asking because some folks who really love to post in qcs a whole lot seem to think that such things should be forgotten or ignored?

Sadly, this is a form of doxxing and will be punished appropriately.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I think the cspam mods are doing a good job, trying hard, but also need to take care of themselves as to avoid burnout. this is a good thread and should stick around. d&d should have one.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

eric ciaramella posted:

I think the cspam mods are doing a good job, trying hard, but also need to take care of themselves as to avoid burnout. this is a good thread and should stick around. d&d should have one.

:agreed: It's also easy for us regulars to only comment on the mods when they're doing something we don't like and then not say anything when they do good poo poo, which they frequently do. So on the whole, good job, CSPAM mods. Thank you for being better than pretty much every single other group of mods here (low bar but still).

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Majorian posted:

:agreed: It's also easy for us regulars to only comment on the mods when they're doing something we don't like and then not say anything when they do good poo poo, which they frequently do. So on the whole, good job, CSPAM mods. Thank you for being better than pretty much every single other group of mods here (low bar but still).

the rest of the forum cops are driving around, hooting and hollaring, chasing down a fleeing permabanned poster. other mods are more like the cop who tazes you repeatedly while screaming STOP RESISTING.

while you guys are the traffic cop who tells a funny joke, still tickets you, but isn’t a huge dick about it

y’all are alright.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Yinlock posted:

I am angry

Angry about mods

some_loser posted:

I am of the opinion that the current moderation sucks poo poo.

rudecyrus posted:

I'm of the opinion that moderation sucks right now!

Ok, hello. Why? Talk to me. Or one of the other three mods. If you have a complaint, you are free to send me a PM at any time, and I think the others would say the same.

Oh Snapple! posted:

If anything "endangers" c-spam it's the climate where you can insult a mod in one of the busiest megathreads here and then this apparently sends up a loving signal for several who have nothing to loving do with this forum to show up.

Oh Snapple! posted:

it's super loving silly and imo unhealthy that insulting fluffdaddy attracted several mods who have nothing to do with cspam typically

RaySmuckles posted:

so you're telling me that c-spam is absolutely in no danger of being removed and there's no need for any further meddling by outsiders, including the moderation team?

I too was shocked to learn that so many people outside of c-spam read c-spam, but it turns out that they do, especially if they are mods and it’s a thread that generates tons of reports every day. Weird, but true

Sharkopath posted:

It is however very healthy to then call them transphobes without evidence and then use slurs to denigrate them.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Also, the draconian punishments in QCS make open discussion nearly impossible. It keeps thing clean, yes, but frankly I do not feel comfortable posting in that forum at all because of some of the ridiculously overblown sentencing.

FFS, this comment got a guy a month. Like, I'm sorry he annoyed some mods, but loving Christ. What message does that send to people with legitimate concerns?

Yinlock posted:

i guess all those people that questioned him just probed themselves somehow

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

like I get that 99.9% of people, including mods, don’t want to do anything more than skim over a shitload of uspol posts, but all of the “problem posters” were calmly, rationally taken apart a dozen times in a dozen different ways but continue to stir poo poo because they figured out how to write their ghoulish positions within the letter of the forum law and under mod radar, then when people are exasperated and disgusted because we’re gonna relitigate “what counts as rape, exactly?” for the fiftieth time they get probes because they posted “eat poo poo, idiot”

it sucks!

e: sorry I’m slowly phone posting

Sharkopath posted:

I do however think just screaming at one biracial person to be banned for thinking its a funny nickname and also accusing them of being a secret racist is however, exceptionally uncool look.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Last thread there was mention about there being a discussion about the fyad reject thread in CCCC. Any updates on that, out of curiosity?

Excuse me! This is a combination Taco Bell/Linens & Things, would you like to upgrade your burrito meal for $6 by ordering a face towel?

*checks notes*

Wait a sec, actually this is C-SPAM, and I have no idea what most of you are talking about. If it is related to C-SPAM, however, please feel free to explain it In further detail. But if it’s not related to C-SPAM...

:thunk:

(...then the sad truth is that the C-SPAM mods can’t do very much to help you with these issues.)

Yinlock posted:

being pro-rape is fine though as long as you're extra nice about it

Yinlock posted:

I’ve been noticing that you have a tendency to casually throw around pretty severe accusations without explaining what you’re talking about. I haven’t read the same posts as you. Neither have a lot of other people. If people here are going to throw around words like “transphobic” or “pro-rape” or “nazi” can you at least provide a link to whatever you’re talking about? It would be really helpful. I honestly don’t know what you’re referring to, and neither do a lot of the people reading your posts. Those are extremely serious accusations and you can’t just throw out claims like that and leave them hanging unsubstantiated; you were probed by someone else for this just earlier today. If any of these accusations are true then they need to be resolved, immediately. And for that to happen, people need to see proof that these claims are justified. And if they aren’t true, then well, that’s not a very nice thing to say, is it? And I’m not sure baseless allegations are a very cool thing to post either.

Sharkopath posted:

Have you seen a pic of him? Judge not the level of funnyness an own might be if you're unfamiliar.

Weird. Encouraging people on the forums to look up pictures of other people on the forums is weird.

Oh Snapple! posted:

neither post should be probed

They both had other ways to express what they were saying, and homophobic slurs will not be tolerated in c-spam.

twoday has issued a correction as of 08:19 on May 27, 2020

twoday
May 4, 2005

Dustcat posted:

getting qcs deleted would certainly be cspam's most glorious victory to date

after that we might even take on pet island

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hey twoday are you strong enough to probate me or does fear enter your heart and stay your shaking hand

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

Also, thank you for excising this conversation from Succzone and creating a separate thread.